Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,202 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa (4580 Views)

Thousands Of Christians In Poland Protest To Stop Islamization And Leftism / Russian Man Nails Own Testicles In Protest Against Crackdown On Political Rights / Students Strip In Hungary In Protest Over University Dress Code (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by Ttola(m): 1:28am On Jan 17, 2012
Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales has announced that the hugely popular online encyclopedia will go dark for 24 hours on that date to protest the possible approval of the Stop Online Piracy Act. The shutdown will begin at midnight Eastern time and will only affect the English-based Wikipedia pages.

The news comes after the US House of Representatives have apparently decided not to vote on SOPA until there is a general consensus on the bill.

The SOPA is a bill that has received severe condemnation by the proponents of an unregulated and uncensored internet.

http://shoutonpaper.com/nigeria-world/breakingnews/wikipedia-shutting-down-on-wednesdey-2
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by Akwasi(m): 9:05am On Jan 17, 2012
He has the right to protect his company's interest. Civil way to go
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by damola1: 9:33am On Jan 17, 2012
Freedom of Information is what has got us here so far, I agree.
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by yokiti: 10:02am On Jan 17, 2012
If this is happening in Nigeria; it would have been attributed to the opposition of our shoeless executives!
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by ajetunde: 11:17am On Jan 17, 2012
Right move, SOPA is going to affect every Web Business owner and start up if it's allowed to go ahead.

The Act, if passed, endangers the future of Internet content sites by holding them directly accountable for content placed on them. That way, the government will control the flow of information and a lot of web based businesses will be affected.

http://biztechie.com/wikipedia-will-be-down-for-24-hours-to-protest-sopa/
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by Mobinga: 11:24am On Jan 17, 2012
Arduous feat. I hope Google and Facebook follow suit, it would bring focus on the damaging effects of this bill.
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by brainpulse: 11:35am On Jan 17, 2012
I hope the SE and SS will not say the man is protesting because he is from the other side of his contry.

A lesson to be taught=Everyman has fundamental right to protest any form of injustice against is existence.
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by Sike(m): 1:55pm On Jan 17, 2012
Brilliant!
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by paniki(m): 3:58pm On Jan 17, 2012
I agree with this law. The world is shifting into a knowledge economy and the owners knowledge need to have their knowledge protected by patents and copyright. Therefore this SOPA law is needed not only in America but the entire world so that patent and copyright infringement can be tackled.

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/software/33452-top-software-pirates-revealed.html
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by Machini(m): 4:53pm On Jan 17, 2012
I'm against dis SOPA, cos its goin 2 change a whole lot of things on d Internet.
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by fred2265: 5:29pm On Jan 17, 2012
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by dripstoil: 9:54pm On Jan 17, 2012
paniki:

I agree with this law. The world is shifting into a knowledge economy and the owners knowledge need to have their knowledge protected by patents and copyright. Therefore this SOPA law is needed not only in America but the entire world so that patent and copyright infringement can be tackled.

You can only agree with SOPA/PIPA when you don't understand what it really stands for. Now, let me put it in a way you'd understand.

If SOPA is in place, this nairaland will find it difficult to exist because Seun will have to check every comment made on nairaland and approve them
one by one. If the comment talks about d'banj, p-square, even you and me, Seun will have to get approval from us one by one before he could publish them.

Failure to do that, anyone of us could bring Nairaland down!

Or if your friend upload your picture on facebook and you don't like it, you could close facebook down!!

As Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian explained, PIPA and SOPA are “the equivalent of being angry and trying to take action against Ford just because a Mustang was used in a bank robbery.”

That means, internet will simply seize to exist.

White House has already issue a statement against it. What we're working on now is to make sure such crazy bill is not mentioned again in future by and group of crazy lawmakers anywhere in the world.
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by Jenifa1: 1:02am On Jan 18, 2012
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by cetowl2003: 2:06am On Jan 18, 2012
Wat has bill pass in d US got 2 do wit WWW .or INTERNET der must have being an area some1 is in control of dis. mayb because of d technology efficiency of some country.i heard d way they r going 2 go about enforcing d bill is 2rm d search engines. I also think it has sometim 2 do wit d space satellite too.dis is a lesson on us 2 stop dependin on others everytime at d cost of reforming our technological sector.pls i need 2 know
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by paniki(m): 8:56am On Jan 18, 2012
dripstoil:

You can only agree with SOPA/PIPA when you don't understand what it really stands for. Now, let me put it in a way you'd understand.

LOL. And you think that you understand SOPA? The truth is that you kind of understand the sensationalist rubbish given by commentators to mislead ill-informed people like you

If SOPA is in place, this nairaland will find it difficult to exist because Seun will have to check every comment made on nairaland and approve them
one by one. If the comment talks about d'banj, p-square, even you and me, Seun will have to get approval from us one by one before he could publish them.

Failure to do that, anyone of us could bring Nairaland down!

LOLz. You have been misled to believe that a law in America will have jurisdiction in a sovereign country like Nigeria. This shows lack of independent thinking, you just accept rubbish from analysts without scrutinising it.

Or if your friend upload your picture on facebook and you don't like it, you could close facebook down!!

LOLz

As Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian explained, PIPA and SOPA are “the equivalent of being angry and trying to take action against Ford just because a Mustang was used in a bank robbery.”

That means, internet will simply seize to exist.

White House has already issue a statement against it. What we're working on now is to make sure such crazy bill is not mentioned again in future by and group of crazy lawmakers anywhere in the world.

Even till today propaganda still works on the gullible.

Do yourself a favour and read the law http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/pdf/112%20HR%203261.pdf
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by dripstoil: 9:42am On Jan 18, 2012
^^^
People like you who finds it very easy to harrass and bully someone they know nothing about for expressing different opinion really need help.

------------------

So let’s take a look at the dangerous provisions in the blacklist bills that would damage free speech, Internet security, and online innovation:

The Anti-Circumvention Provision

In addition to going after websites allegedly directly involved in copyright infringement, a proposal in SOPA will allow the government to target sites that simply provide information that could help users get around the bills’ censorship mechanisms. Such a provision would not only amount to an unconstitutional prior restraint against protected speech, but would severely damage online innovation. And contrary to claims by SOPA’s supporters, this provision—at least what’s been proposed so far—applies to all websites, even those in the U.S.

As First Amendment expert Marvin Ammori points out, “The language is pretty vague, but it appears all these companies must monitor their sites for anti-circumvention so they are not subject to court actions ‘enjoining’ them from continuing to provide ‘such product or service.’” That means social media sites like Facebook or YouTube—basically any site with user generated content—would have to police their own sites, forcing huge liability costs onto countless Internet companies. This is exactly why venture capitalists have said en masse they won’t invest in online startups if PIPA and SOPA pass. Websites would be forced to block anything from a user post about browser add-ons like DeSopa, to a simple list of IP addresses of already-blocked sites.

Perhaps worse, EFF has detailed how this provision would also decimate the open source software community. Anyone who writes or distributes Virtual Private Network, proxy, privacy or anonymization software would be negatively affected. This includes organizations that are funded by the State Department to create circumvention software to help democratic activists get around authoritarian regimes’ online censorship mechanisms. Ironically, SOPA would not only institute the same practices as these regimes, but would essentially outlaw the tools used by activists to circumvent censorship in countries like Iran and China as well.

The “Vigilante” Provision

Another dangerous provision in PIPA and SOPA that hasn’t received a lot of attention is the “vigilante” provision, which would grant broad immunity to all service providers if they overblock innocent users or block sites voluntarily with no judicial oversight at all. The standard for immunity is incredibly low and the potential for abuse is off the charts. Intermediaries only need to act “in good faith” and base their decision “on credible evidence” to receive immunity.

As we noted months ago, this provision would allow the MPAA and RIAA to create literal blacklists of sites they want censored. Intermediaries will find themselves under pressure to act to avoid court orders, creating a vehicle for corporations to censor sites—even those in the U.S.—without any legal oversight. And as Public Knowledge has pointed out, not only can this provision be used for bogus copyright claims that are protected by fair use, but large corporations can take advantage of it to stamp out emerging competitors and skirt anti-trust laws:

For instance, an Internet service provider could block DNS requests for a website offering online video that competed with its cable television offerings, based upon “credible evidence” that the site was, in its own estimation, promoting its use for infringement, While the amendment requires that the action be taken in good faith, the blocked site now bears the burden of proving either its innocence or the bad faith of its accuser in order to be unblocked.

Corporate Right of Action

PIPA and SOPA also still allow copyright holders to get an unopposed court order to cut off foreign websites from payment processors and advertisers. As we have continually highlighted, copyright holders already can remove infringing material from the web under the DMCA notice-and-takedown procedure. Unfortunately, we’ve seen that power abused time and again. Yet the proponents of PIPA and SOPA want to give rightsholders even more power, allowing them to essentially shut down full sites instead of removing the specific infringing content.

While this provision only affects foreign sites, it still affects Americans' free speech rights. As Marvin Ammori explained, "The seminal case of Lamont v. Postmaster makes it clear that Americans have the First Amendment right to read and listen to foreign speech, even if the foreigners lack a First Amendment speech right." If history is any guide—and we’re afraid it is—we will see specious claims to wholesale take downs of legitimate and protected speech.

Expanded Attorney General Powers

PIPA and SOPA would also give the Attorney General new authority to block domain name services, a provision that has been universally criticized by both Internet security experts and First Amendment scholars. Even the blacklist bills’ authors are now publicly second-guessing that scary provision. But even without it, this section would still force many intermediaries to become the Internet police by putting the responsibility of censorship enforcement on those intermediaries, who are usually innocent third parties.

The Attorney General would also be empowered to de-list websites from search engines, which, as Google Chairman Eric Schmidt noted, would still "criminalize linking and the fundamental structure of the Internet itself."  The same applies to payment processors and advertisers.

These are just some of the egregious provisions in PIPA and SOPA that would drastically change the way we use the Internet (for the worse), and punish millions of innocent users who have never even thought about copyright infringement
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by Mobinga: 1:43pm On Jan 18, 2012
paniki:

Look at this dunce. The benefits of this SOPA is more less negligible compared to the damage this bill can cause. You are surely ignorant if that's the onlyreason for your support.
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by paniki(m): 3:03pm On Jan 18, 2012
Mobinga:

Look at this dunce. The benefits of this SOPA is more less negligible compared to the damage this bill can cause. You are surely ignorant if that's the onlyreason for your support.

Look at this blockhead parrot that recites propagandistic mantras belonging to internet hypocrites Google and company. Parrots usually have no clue of what they talk about but they sound very intelligent when they repeat other peoples thoughts. Because of your honorary parrot status I doubt that you will be able to tell me what exactly will those "damages" be, unless of cause you regurgitate more junk that is composed by internet brainwash agents. These internet hypocrites are able to function very well under the draconian cyber laws of China which seek not to protect intellectual property but to advance communist agenda. Now switch on your brain and let it process an answer for the following question:

If Google and company in China can comply with Chinese law and block websites which the Chinese government considers to be "disturbing the peace" why then can't Google and company comply with American law and block websites which infringe on intellectual property and copyright laws?

BTW. This is an American law that has no bearing on any internet entity that is not based in America or linked to American enterprise. Please read that proposed law and form your own opinion based on your reading and not second hand thoughts.
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by dripstoil: 3:31pm On Jan 18, 2012
^^
paniki:

Look at this blockhead parrot that recites propagandistic mantras belonging to internet hypocrites Google and company. Parrots usually have no clue of what they talk about but they sound very intelligent when they repeat other peoples thoughts. Because of your honorary parrot status I doubt that you will be able to tell me what exactly will those "damages" be, unless of cause you regurgitate more junk that is composed by internet brainwash agents. These internet hypocrites are able to function very well under the draconian cyber laws of China which seek not to protect intellectual property but to advance communist agenda. Now switch on your brain and let it process an answer for the following question:

If Google and company in China can comply with Chinese law and block websites which the Chinese government considers to be "disturbing the peace" why then can't Google and company comply with American law and block websites which infringe on intellectual property and copyright laws?

BTW. This is an American law that has no bearing on any internet entity that is not based in America or linked to American enterprise. Please read that proposed law and form your own opinion based on your reading and not second hand thoughts.

My brother, before you explode further, why not swallow your pride and read:

Washington's statements on SOPA:

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#/!/response/combating-online-piracy-while-protecting-open-and-innovative-internet

Then read Wikipedia's stand on SOPA:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/English_Wikipedia_anti-SOPA_blackout

Then, tell yourself if you're wise or otherwise.
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by paniki(m): 4:23pm On Jan 18, 2012
^^^^^^

I don't know why you refuse to read that proposed law so that you can understand for yourself. You prefer to be indoctrinated by American hype which has made you believe that a Nigerian website will be subject to American law. You need to broaden your outlook my friend.
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by dripstoil: 6:55pm On Jan 18, 2012
^^^
What we're talking about HERE is a proposed bills (SOPA & PIPA) and I think that's what the post's subject says.

I sited nairaland (what most people here will be more familier with) to explain what SOPA looks like.

And if you're a player on the Internet, you'll understand that any law that Affect internet usage (online advertising networks, payment processors, and search engines) in the USA, affects the whole world.

Calling people you know nothing about "Gullible" and "Ill-informed" is evidence demonstration of Narrow mindedness and lack of respect, which are not desirable qualities in any human-being.
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by Mobinga: 9:15pm On Jan 18, 2012
paniki:

^^^^^^

I don't know why you refuse to read that proposed law so that you can understand for yourself. You prefer to be indoctrinated by American hype which has made you believe that a Nigerian website will be subject to American law. You need to broaden your outlook my friend.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat Damn!!! You're a total fool, and you, not him needs to broaden your own outlook.

paniki:

Have you even read the fucklng bill?
LOL. Look at this clown talking of "American Hype" Channel your American hate somewhere else you dolt.
You're ranting about google as if I give a single phuck is google even actively combating it? NO.

I don't think there is any point debating a law that has already been shelved btw. http://news.yahoo.com/sopa-shelved-indefinitely-reddits-jan-18-blackout-still-165947280.html

Regardless :

Let's consider this; how many African or rather Nigerian sites are hosted in Africa or rather Nigeria?

Nairaland is hosted in the US and is within jurisdiction of their laws.

Excerpt : I'm not even going to try using my own words to point out ridiculous laws from the bill, here's it without manipulations:

From[i] Section 102[/i]
If a foreign Internet site is a “foreign infringing site,” the Attorney General (AG) can:

Commence an action in personam against a registrant of a domain name used for the foreign infringing site OR an owner or operator of a foreign infringing site.
Commence an action in rem against the foreign infringing site or the foreign domain used by such site if it cannot commence an action in personam.

After an order is issued and served, the AG can require the following of:

Service Provider
Measures: Least burdensome, technically feasible and reasonable to prevent resolving to the foreign infringing site domain name’s IP address, taken as expeditiously as possible, rather than within 5 days.

Payment network providers/ Internet advertising services:
Measures: Technically feasible and “commercially” reasonable to halt payment processing, and taken as expeditiously as possible, rather than within 5 days

LOL, even Google Adsense, (what most Nigerian webmasters use to generate income) would be cut off from a foreign infringing site. And I hope you fully understand what "infringing" means, you phucking hypocrite. Can you honestly say you haven't used a random stock photo off the internet for your personal needs?

If however you host illegal content or just provide links to such content such as films/music etc that are protected under US law then, if the bill is passed, you risk having your website shut down and an application made to have you delivered to the USA to face trial.

Only a total fool would read the above and not see what effect it has to Nigerian sites hosted within the jurisdiction of US laws, and even using anything related to the US.
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by Mobinga: 9:37pm On Jan 18, 2012
paniki:

Wow. I can't even imaging this guy. He's a total hypocrite.

Look at this thread and the images you posted there, mostly were hotlinked from a private photobucket account http://photobucket.com/albums/l500/faustinoa/ . . .

Now did you contact the image owner before hotlinking to nairaland? I hope you fully know that, that is in-fact illegal and a gross infringement of property. And it is even more ridiculous coming from you that is vehemently supporting the SOPA proposal and even clamouring for its implementation worldwide.

Look at this other post of yours directly hotlinked from "gstatic"  Google's Content Delivery Network (CDN) [I'm disregarding your hypocritical attack on Google], now did you even bother to check who owns the photograph before hotlinking?

I hope you know that with the implementation of SOPA both in the US and worldwide, the owner of Nairaland would be held for each and everyone of your gross disregard of individual property,
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by paniki(m): 12:05am On Jan 19, 2012
Mobinga:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat Damn!!! You're a total fool, and you, not him needs to broaden your own outlook.

Have you even read the fucklng bill?
LOL. Look at this clown talking of "American Hype" Channel your American hate somewhere else you dolt.
You're ranting about google as if I give a single phuck is google even actively combating it? NO.

I don't think there is any point debating a law that has already been shelved btw. http://news.yahoo.com/sopa-shelved-indefinitely-reddits-jan-18-blackout-still-165947280.html

Why would I encourage dullards like you and dripstoil to familiarise yourselves with a proposed law that I have not read? Dripstoil held a misguided view, which he has now sidestepped, that an America law can regulate internet entities which are not based in or have any links to America and you promoted a fallacy that this law will cause damage. What kind of damage? And damage to who?

Idiots like you must realise that this law if passed will only force internet entities to work harder to be compliant the same way they work hard to comply with Chinese regulations. These internet companies are using lay fools like you as megaphones that speak in favour of their own agenda to dodge this law because it will only affect their bottom line since they have to spend more money to keep order. Of cause that flies over your flat head.

Regardless :

Let's consider this; how many African or rather Nigerian sites are hosted in Africa or rather Nigeria?

Nairaland is hosted in the US and is within jurisdiction of their laws.

Excerpt : I'm not even going to try using my own words to point out ridiculous laws from the bill, here's it without manipulations:

From[i] Section 102[/i]
If a foreign Internet site is a “foreign infringing site,” the Attorney General (AG) can:

Commence an action in personam against a registrant of a domain name used for the foreign infringing site OR an owner or operator of a foreign infringing site.
Commence an action in rem against the foreign infringing site or the foreign domain used by such site if it cannot commence an action in personam.

After an order is issued and served, the AG can require the following of:

Service Provider
Measures: Least burdensome, technically feasible and reasonable to prevent resolving to the foreign infringing site domain name’s IP address, taken as expeditiously as possible, rather than within 5 days.

Payment network providers/ Internet advertising services:
Measures: Technically feasible and “commercially” reasonable to halt payment processing, and taken as expeditiously as possible, rather than within 5 days

LOL, even Google Adsense, (what most Nigerian webmasters use to generate income) would be cut off from a foreign infringing site. And I hope you fully understand what "infringing" means, you phucking hypocrite. Can you honestly say you haven't used a random stock photo off the internet for your personal needs?

If however you host illegal content or just provide links to such content such as films/music etc that are protected under US law then, if the bill is passed, you risk having your website shut down and an application made to have you delivered to the USA to face trial.

Only a total fool would read the above and not see what effect it has to Nigerian sites hosted within the jurisdiction of US laws, and even using anything related to the US.

You should've started by quoting this, just a few lines before your quote

(1) the Internet site or portion thereof is a U.S.-directed site and is used by users in the United States

Then a bit further on you should've quoted this

(i) IN GENERAL.—A service provider shall take technically feasible and reason
able measures designed to prevent access by its subscribers located within the United States to the foreign infringing site (or portion thereof) that is subject to the order, including measures designed to pre8
vent the domain name of the foreign in9
fringing site (or portion thereof) from re10
solving to that domain name’s Internet Protocol address. Such actions shall be taken as expeditiously as possible, but in any case within 5 days after being served with a copy of the order, or within such time as the court may order.

You need to understand that America doesn't own the internet and that these internet companies which will be subject to American law in America have separate entities in other jurisdictions which are subject to other laws. There is a difference between google.com - google.co.uk - google.com.hk and so on.
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by paniki(m): 12:15am On Jan 19, 2012
Mobinga:

Wow. I can't even imaging this guy. He's a total hypocrite.

Look at this thread and the images you posted there, mostly were hotlinked from a private photobucket account http://photobucket.com/albums/l500/faustinoa/ . . .

Now did you contact the image owner before hotlinking to nairaland? I hope you fully know that, that is in-fact illegal and a gross infringement of property. And it is even more ridiculous coming from you that is vehemently supporting the SOPA proposal and even clamouring for its implementation worldwide.

Look at this other post of yours directly hotlinked from "gstatic"  Google's Content Delivery Network (CDN) [I'm disregarding your hypocritical attack on Google], now did you even bother to check who owns the photograph before hotlinking?

I hope you know that with the implementation of SOPA both in the US and worldwide, the owner of Nairaland would be held for each and everyone of your gross disregard of individual property,

Private photobucket account? Are you sure about that? Maybe you are too lazy to do a simple search.

And for a person who claims to have read SOPA you seem not to know how the bill defines and proposes to deal with file sharing. I suggest you read some more.
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by Mobinga: 1:13am On Jan 19, 2012
paniki:

Why would I encourage dullards like you and dripstoil to familiarise yourselves with a proposed law that I have not read? Dripstoil held a misguided view, which he has now sidestepped, that an America law can regulate internet entities which are not based in or have any links to America and you promoted a fallacy that this law will cause damage. What kind of damage? And damage to who?

Idiots like you must realise that this law if passed will only force internet entities to work harder to be compliant the same way they work hard to comply with Chinese regulations. These internet companies are using lay fools like you as megaphones that speak in favour of their own agenda to dodge this law because it will only affect their bottom line since they have to spend more money to keep order. Of cause that flies over your flat head.

The above is irrelevant bullshit. Opinions based on baseless assumptions. Seems your support for SOPA stems from your anger towards big corporations and not sensible principles.

You should've started by quoting this,  just a few lines before your quote

(1) the Internet site or portion thereof is a U.S.-directed site and is used by users in the United States

Then a bit further on you should've quoted this

(i) IN GENERAL.—A service provider shall take technically feasible and reason
able measures designed to prevent access by its subscribers located within the United States to the foreign infringing site (or portion thereof) that is subject to the order, including measures designed to prevent the domain name of the foreign infringing site (or portion thereof) from resolving to that domain name’s Internet Protocol address. Such actions shall be taken as expeditiously as possible, but in any case within 5 days after being served with a copy of the order, or within such time as the court may order.

You need to understand that America doesn't own the internet and that these internet companies which will be subject to American law in America have separate entities in other jurisdictions which are subject to other laws. There is a difference between google.com - google.co.uk - google.com.hk and so on.

Stop trying to blindly support an American bill that is already loosing ground.
You're not reasoning if you think an ISP would observe infringing content moving through their wires and ignore it, regardless of destination.

The legal system in the US pays attention to the most trivial details. If the insensitivity of SOPA is passed into law, Your illegal posts you made on NL as I pointed out above, would make Nairaland (hosted in the US) liable for internet criminality and the proceeding censorship movement would ensue (with the hosts), First off:

1 - Search engines (Google, Bing, Yahoo) would strike off Nairaland from its index.
2 - Payment agencies (V[i]i[/i]sa, M[i]a[/i]stercard, P[i]a[/i]yPal) would cut anything they have with this site.
3 - All potential advertising revenue would be cut off.

e.t.c

And this is all within 5 days according to the bill. The entire website loses.

And also, the parent company is Google, which operates under the US legal jurisdiction, which invariably means it can pretty much do anything to any over its tld's regardless of location, whether, com.ng, .co.uk etc.
Many legit businesses would suffer considerably because of this bill. The truth is that at this current point, the global web is subject to American censorship. P;ease read up and stop displaying gross ignorance on this subject.
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by Mobinga: 3:42pm On Jan 21, 2012
Re: Wikipedia Shutting Down Wednesday In Protest To Sopa by paniki(m): 2:38pm On Jan 26, 2012

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS: Military Coup Is Going On In Russia / Africa Needs Investment, Not Aid / Guinnea-bissau Military: 6 Killed In Failed Coup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.