Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,376 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? (12389 Views)

Fasting in Ramadan: The 4th Pillar Of Islam / 9 Reasons Why Muslims Should Be Proud Of Islam / Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by musawisdom(m): 5:50am On Jan 18, 2012
Media contributes to the bad image of islam. Why?Many at times the media tries to defend christian from being blackmail.for instance, There is a church in alekuwodo which was discovered last thursday to be a money ritual arena. See the media report here http://allafrica.com/stories/201201121076.html
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by deandavid(m): 7:41am On Jan 18, 2012
simple answer, because those media houses are own or run by non-muslims. And am sure you know how other religion see islam, even if that's wrong. That's just the way it is project ur own nd condemn others. Are u sure muslim dnt do d same in d musque? Jst asking o.
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by okosodo: 8:40am On Jan 18, 2012
Muslims are funny people. Killing is a food for them , they have to kill as much christians as possible. What if christians retaliate
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by olawalebabs(m): 1:27pm On Jan 18, 2012
okosodo:

Muslims are funny people. Killing is a food for them , they have to kill as much christians as possible. What if christians retaliate
Do you understand the thread, read again before you comment
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by goggs(m): 4:42pm On Jan 18, 2012
the media reports what they see. Muslims need to work harder to rein in fanaticism that is tainting their religion. Majority of Muslims are wonderful, peaceful people and that gives them leverage to counter the ones who behave otherwise.

while other religious groups have their own dark side (of course), playing the victims of the "non-muslim" press hardly helps. Cos lets face it even some of the Al-Jazera's coverages are not exactly flattering.
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by chakula: 5:02pm On Jan 18, 2012
Don’t mind the dude he’s just jumps to the conclusion, what a delusion?

olawalebab:

Do you understand the thread, read again before you comment
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by okosodo: 7:43pm On Jan 18, 2012
chakula:

Don’t mind the dude he’s just jumps to the conclusion, what a delusion?

You delusional, someone cannot be allowed to say his mind again
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by deols(f): 8:25pm On Jan 18, 2012
i agree with deandavid.the situation is like having NTA without channels tv. there has to be a balance somehow. We humans are very emotional and there is most of the time a need to protect what we deem as ours. for that reason, most christian journalists would rather write against Islam than their own religion.

NL is a place to test that hypothesis. many christians here who havent been able to understand their own bible fully go about making mouth about Islam(one that they dont understand too). we seem to have a little balancing because there are atheists ready to bring the christians down. if not, the same reflection as seen in the media houses would be seen here.

the population of the muslims in Nigeria is sure high. But we do not have enough representation at the places that I see to matter. some day, conscience might change things or the call for quality journalism playing a role or better still, an effective media representation by muslims, which would go a long way.
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by Akwasi(m): 12:06pm On Jan 19, 2012
Some Muslim teachers are too radical. When you push so much sometimes you get the people to react in the negative way
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by LagosShia: 12:07pm On Jan 19, 2012
abeg,i dont think Islam has a bad image.it is people that have bad brains.

if christianity whose god killed his own son does not have a bad image,then why would Islam simply because of the bias,prejudices and wrong thinking of people?
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by brainpulse: 12:15pm On Jan 19, 2012
At post i blieve u can read and write. There are no evidence linking that the church actually carried out any form of ritual killings or did anyone read that before jumping into conclusion

May be also learn to read in English after reading in arabic
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by Jay5000(m): 12:19pm On Jan 19, 2012
Sad Dumbed-down Nigerians fighting each other along tribal and religious divides just as they have been brainwashed and programmed to do by the ruling elite. Sad Nigerians never learn. The few cannot control the many. They manipulate the many to control themselves. Classical Hegelian Dialectic - always works on ignoramuses. Keep fighting along Ibo/Yoruba/Hausa/Ijaw/Niger-Delta/Christian/Muslim/Orthodox/protestant/pentecostal NW/SS/SW/SE divides and see if it gets any of us out of all the hardship and slavery that has been imposed on us by the ruling elite, thanks to our ignorance. These guys are sucking us dry at the top and here we are fighting each other. Until we open our eyes and break out of this religious/ethnic/regional divide-and-conquer control grid, we will forever remain slaves to the ruling elite.
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by omo9ja1(m): 12:22pm On Jan 19, 2012
I am a christian, but I have not condemn any religion be Muslin or anything, but I think the media goes too far
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jan 19, 2012
All Muslims are not suicide bombers, but all suicide bombers have been Muslims.

And there community at large remain somewhat mute and no Utter outrage from them to stem religious fanaticism.

What do you expect people to think?

"religion is the opium of the people". Karl Max

In fact, we Africans need to go back to our forefather's ways. Imported Foreign organized religions have done more harm than good to us.

Shalom cool.
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by Profkenny1(m): 12:32pm On Jan 19, 2012
Olodostein:

And there community at large remain somewhat mute and no Utter outrage from them to stem religious fanaticism.

In fact, we Africans need to go back to our forefather's ways. Imported Foreign organized religions have done more harm than good to us.

Shalom cool.

grin grin case closed! no more posting please.
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by jidesiko: 12:34pm On Jan 19, 2012
2 me i belive both muslim and christian re one d only quran tell us dat dey re our friend d only quran condem d art of kiling &so deos d bible let follow d wil of God
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by maasoap(m): 12:40pm On Jan 19, 2012
@brainpluse, I totally agree with you that the report didn't link the church in question with evil activities. But there is a greater imbalance in the way Islam and Christianity are being represented in the media. When Muslims attack or retaliate (which is wrong), you would see it in every single medium. But whenever Christians attack or retaliate, you would hardly see it in any medium. Even the few that eventually report it would still manipulate the facts so as make it look like provocation-induced attack. A typical example is 2011 August 29 Idl-Filtri attack on Muslims in Jos.
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by Sike(m): 12:48pm On Jan 19, 2012
Olodostein:

Shalom cool.
Prof kenny:

grin grin case closed! no more posting please.

Gbammmmm
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by maasoap(m): 12:54pm On Jan 19, 2012
@Olodo(dullard), are you sure you're up to 18? I'm sure you've heard about underwear bomber, but did you hear about shoe bomber? No! And that's exactly what we're discussing here. Try to search google and you'll realise that there are as many Christian bombers as there are Muslim bombers. The only two problem is that: one, if a bomber calls himself a Christian. You people would say no, he's not a real Christian. Two, injustice against Christians in the world today is incomparable to injustice against Muslims. Injustice by who? Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by kensandrea: 12:56pm On Jan 19, 2012
THE COS OF THAT IS because OF THE BEHAVIOUR OF THE MUSILIMS THEY KILL MISERBLE AND CONFORTABLY IS NOT THE SAME WITH CRISTAINS THEY HIDE AND DO HTERE STUFF COS WE DONT ACCEPT SUCH IN OUR RELIGON END OF TUK embarassed shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jan 19, 2012
Islam started losing credibility since its attack on the twin towers.
'West' pushed hard to brainwash most people around the world to see Islam as a dangerous religion and these BHaram are also furthering the course, oga sha.
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by rawtruth(m): 1:07pm On Jan 19, 2012
There is a character on this forum called LagosShia, he is so light-hearted that nothing seems serious to him. He argues and argues on non-useful details, so much that they gradually assumed 'substance',  consuming a whole page without offering solutions to what he considered to be the 'problems' of Christianity. Where on earth he got his PHD on Christian matters is only known to him. "God" killed His son", Allah is different from God so he can afford to make such jest believing that Allah will protect him from God's anger. Make una take note of this o!
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by IYANGBALI: 1:09pm On Jan 19, 2012
it has nothing to do with media,muslims got what they bargained for,no thanx to some islamic extremists and some of the teachings of islam.Leave the media out of it and you guys should work on yourselves and your so called islam the religion of peace my foot
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by olasesi(m): 1:12pm On Jan 19, 2012
I think the west sees Islam as a threat as most of its laws and ways are head on with the cultures of the west.so the best way for them to handle that is propaganda and the media comes in handy, with that, they exaggerate in their coverage of the Muslims in things that are negative and have tagged the word "terrorism" with " Islam ", I am a Muslim and a most reasonable thing to consider is that not many Muslims will be left behind if Islam truly preaches "suicide bombing" and terrorism" to its adherent, We would probably will certainly have "suicide bombed" all non Muslims, but this is not so, it just doesn't make sense to think that any religion will purposely preach or condone the killing of other innocent people, it just doesnt make sense.
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jan 19, 2012
IYA NGBALI:

it has nothing to do with media,muslims got what they bargained for,no thanx to some islamic extremists and some of the teachings of islam.Leave the media out of it and you guys should work on yourselves and your so called islam the religion of peace my foot
cool
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by JaaizTech: 1:29pm On Jan 19, 2012
maasoap:

@brainpluse, I totally agree with you that the report didn't link the church in question with evil activities. But there is a greater imbalance in the way Islam and Christianity are being represented in the media. When Muslims attack or retaliate (which is wrong), you would see it in every single medium. But whenever Christians attack or retaliate, you would hardly see it in any medium. Even the few that eventually report it would still manipulate the facts so as make it look like provocation-induced attack. A typical example is 2011 August 29 Idl-Filtri attack on Muslims in Jos.
This is what Muslims have been suffering in Nigeria, I was unfortunate to witness the Kaduna post-election riot; you will be shocked the way the media reported the atrocious acts that happened in Muslim dominated areas, but they never mentioned, not even one of them reported the even more atrocious acts perpetrated by Christians in Kaduna; they practically ambushed every Muslim coming from Abuja into Kaduna and slaughtered them, they wiped out villages, I mean every word of wiped out and burned them afterwards. Not one media reported this. Not to even talk about what happens in Jos. But whenever the Fulani herdsmen retaliate then it becomes big news. They are planning, and indeed Allah is the best of planners.
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by islamrules(m): 1:31pm On Jan 19, 2012
i agree with deandavid.the situation is like having NTA without channels tv. there has to be a balance somehow. We humans are very emotional and there is most of the time a need to protect what we deem as ours. for that reason, most christian journalists would rather write against Islam than their own religion.

NL is a place to test that hypothesis. many christians here who havent been able to understand their own bible fully go about making mouth about Islam(one that they dont understand too). we seem to have a little balancing because there are atheists ready to bring the christians down. if not, the same reflection as seen in the media houses would be seen here.

the population of the muslims in Nigeria is sure high. But we do not have enough representation at the places that I see to matter. some day, conscience might change things or the call for quality journalism playing a role or better still, an effective media representation by muslims, which would go a long way.

Rituals in the church doesnt concern the United Nation/World. If the members of the church like it, they can go ahead and worship. There are church of satan, Illuminati e.t.c.

But, bombing a market/church United Nation headquater is news-worthy. Its barbaric.

Anybody force you go church? Why cant you stay at home and pray instead of going to those business houses called church ?

Media is not partial. Bombing a market full of children and women is war.

Media must report what is going on in a war front.

This is a baseless post and lacks logic
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by akpanbaba: 1:31pm On Jan 19, 2012
So another name for media is Boko Haram or matasine.My brother the religion thrives with blood all over the world and media has contributed nothing to bad image of islam.My take is that the religion is on the path of self-destruction.I mean no sensible man will touch islam with a long pole.Infact paganism is better than islam 95 times
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by islamrules(m): 1:33pm On Jan 19, 2012
I think the west sees Islam as a threat as most of its laws and ways are head on with the cultures of the west.so the best way for them to handle that is propaganda and the media comes in handy, with that, they exaggerate in their coverage of the Muslims in things that are negative and have tagged the word "terrorism" with " Islam ", I am a Muslim and a most reasonable thing to consider is that not many Muslims will be left behind if Islam truly preaches "suicide bombing" and terrorism" to its adherent, We would probably will certainly have "suicide bombed" all non Muslims, but this is not so, it just doesn't make sense to think that any religion will purposely preach or condone the killing of other innocent people, it just doesnt make sense.

Nobody is handling islam. Islam is handling itself, giving itself names.
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by freecocoa(f): 1:36pm On Jan 19, 2012
Where did the saying"in every rumor there's an iota\ atom of truth" come from?

The above quote is so true,many things muslims do portray them in a negative light,their thirst for blood is just too much,so its nobody's fault.
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by rawtruth(m): 1:39pm On Jan 19, 2012
@maasoap;
     Your reasoning is cohesive and good. However, one would like to point out this fundamental reason why Islam receives such negative publicity: All who believe in the existence of one God-Creator describe HIM as most powerful, loving and compassionate. why then would anyone set out to kill fellow humans proclaiming that they are doing the will of God? Such people called themselves muslims and quote the Islamic holy book to justify their murders. How many terrorists who claimed to be Christians used the Bible as the source of their strength to kill others? When they shout 'God is great, and Mohammed is the last prophet while burning and killing, what impression do you think would be created in the minds of those outside Islam? The lines between the 'real' muslims and the 'counterfeit' muslims become even more vague when there are no all-out efforts by those who consider themselves real muslims to do away with the counterfeit. True muslims must be in the fore front in the fight against violent radicalism in Islam if they hope to receive favourable comments from all, including atheists.
Re: Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? by Krucifax(m): 1:40pm On Jan 19, 2012
The question the poster and people who replied should ask is this. Is this the bad image of Islam justified or not?  
I'm not a Muslim and i currently reside in London,however i attended secondary school in Northern Nigeria where half of my school mates where Muslims. I can vouch that there are many intelligent,sane and progressive Muslims in Nigeria.

However as in all cases there is also a sizeable number of Islamic fanatics in the country. The situation is very complex,b'cos of the driving factor which is essentially some political evil geniuses in their midst using Islam as a veil to hide their real intentions which is the increment of political power.
Islamic fanaticism is also unique to Northern Nigeria,you don't see Muslims in the West and South burning,killing and pillaging with reckless abandon as has been witnessed in the North. The reason for this is, massive levels of unemployment caused by equally massive levels of illiteracy which leads to massive levels of poverty in the North.

The record levels of illiteracy and poverty in the North is no coincidence. It is actually part of a broader programme unfortunately being spear headed by Northern leaders themselves. No ethnic group in Nigeria has held power longer than the Northerners yet there is always reluctance to invest in much needed infrastructure. Even the free education scheme enacted by Obasanjo was incredibly refused when funds were made available.The reason is to have a more manageable,usable group of people to do their bidding towards political power!!

In summary to answer your question.Yes the media contributes to the bad Image of Islam,however some of that image is justified b'cos the actions being reported are facts and not fabrication. We as a people need to look at ourselves and ask serious questions b'cos besides illiteracy and poverty there is a human element of Nigerians which sometimes exudes pure wickedness regardless of circumstance. That is a fact!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Prayer To Be Said On The Night Of Lailatul Qodri / The True Treasure : I Went To Steal From Him, But He Stole From Me – Inspiration / Who Is Sheik Imran Abdul Mojeed Eleha?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.