Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,407 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) (5629 Views)

Make Money Using Internet: How To Earn With Blogging / "GHOST PUSH", The Worst Virus Affecting Over 600,000+ Android Users Per Day. / Black Out On The Internet (How Is It Affecting You?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by dellnet: 9:01am On Jan 18, 2012
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by sweetpawn1: 9:36am On Jan 18, 2012
Er eh! Nothing dey happen for my side sha! tongue
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by 27naira(m): 10:23am On Jan 18, 2012
didnt appreciate the situation till i tried to look up something on wikipedia and was saddened that they have gone black-out.

No to SOPA!

restriction on information is tantamount to solitary confinement.
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by justwise(m): 10:26am On Jan 18, 2012
Why is Google and Twitter not doing the same as Wikipedia?

The black out got no effect, companies losing money as a result of piracy well come SOPA
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by Cogent: 10:30am On Jan 18, 2012
Thousands of websites, including some of the most popular, are going dark today to protest the Stop Online Piracy Act, which is designed to thwart copyright infringement but that Web experts warn could threaten the functionality of the Internet.

Encyclopedia giant Wikipedia, popular news-sharing site reddit, browser pioneer Mozilla, photo-sharing favorite Twitpic and even ICanHazCheezburger.com are blocking access to content throughout Wednesday, symbolizing what the bill may allow content creators to do to sites they accuse of copyright infringement. Other websites, including Google, are expressing solidarity with the protests by featuring anti-SOPA content on home pages.

The online protests are being joined by a physical demonstration in New York City, where thousands of representatives from the city's tech industry plan to demonstrate outside the offices of Sens. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Kristen Gillibrand (D-N.Y.),co-sponsors of the Senate version of SOPA, beginning at 12:30 p.m. As pressure has mounted, both have expressed willingness to compromise.

SOPA would give both the government and major corporations the power to shut down entire websites accused of copyright infringement with neither a trial nor a traditional court hearing. The legislation is aggressively backed by Hollywood movie studios and major record labels, along with several major news providers, including Fox News and NBC-Universal, which have largely shied away from coverage of the bill.

Apart from wikipedia, I don't think nigerians browse the sites that shut down.
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by 989900: 10:33am On Jan 18, 2012
wiki
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by justwise(m): 10:36am On Jan 18, 2012
Cogent:

Apart from wikipedia, I don't think nigerians browse the sites that shut down.

People can still access Wikipedia even as they claimed to be shut down, the protest will yield no result.

Google and Twitter who make alot of money online did not join the shut down protest, yahoo or hotmaill did not.
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by damilola15: 10:43am On Jan 18, 2012
sad sad sad Can't do without checking wikipedia in a day.
Other languages work maybe I'd try some translation
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by Slyr0x: 10:45am On Jan 18, 2012
Copy this code and paste it into the header of your theme to black your site out in protest of SOPA/PIPA. It will activate only on Wednesday, January 18th.

<script type="text/javascript">var a=new Date,b=a.getUTCHours();if(0==a.getUTCMonth()&&2012==a.getUTCFullYear()&&((18==a.getUTCDate()&&13<=b)||(19==a.getUTCDate()&&0>=b)))window.location="http://sopastrike.com/strike";</script>

[size=15pt]Seun should do same wink[/size]
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by Nobody: 10:46am On Jan 18, 2012
If you're browsing via your laptop and you know how to view cached pages when using searching engines then you can get around Wikipedia's blackout to an extent.
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by Muhnaz: 10:51am On Jan 18, 2012
The suspend of SOPA will affect my education seriously
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by obinna5000(m): 10:55am On Jan 18, 2012
Wikipedia blacks out in protest of SOPA/PIPA initiative

Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 18, 2012
western treason

deploy soldiers to wikipedia now
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by PeeDaVinci: 11:03am On Jan 18, 2012
FYI. 2 circumvent wikipedias b/out, go 2 the .org version n hit 'esc' several times as th page loads. B sure 2do th same 4 subsequent wiki pages. U r welcme.
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by queensmith: 11:09am On Jan 18, 2012
erm, doesnt it just affect america and americans? why should i care? wikipedia should open up shop immediately! arrant nonsense!
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by valencia25(m): 11:11am On Jan 18, 2012
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by valencia25(m): 11:13am On Jan 18, 2012
HOPE ON ASUU STRIKE http:///6w6jzgj
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by lynxnoon(m): 11:25am On Jan 18, 2012
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by GWslim(f): 11:34am On Jan 18, 2012
No wahala for here o.
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by lynkyinka(m): 11:37am On Jan 18, 2012
NO TO SOPA & PIPA
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by channel801(f): 11:42am On Jan 18, 2012
I miss wikipedia. Apart from that no long thing.

It would have had a significant effect if giants like Facebook, Google and Twitter had joined!
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by dellnet: 11:48am On Jan 18, 2012
Well, if you search for an article on google it will probably end up sending you to wikipedia. I decided to migrate to open-source software today and did some search on KDE, most of the open-source sites are blacked out. I think I should "re-think" my migration move.
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by ikechukz(m): 1:36pm On Jan 18, 2012
whats with this sopa thing.somebody put me through pls.
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by dellnet: 2:04pm On Jan 18, 2012
In a nutshell america wants to put border on the internet.
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by AppleFan: 3:50pm On Jan 18, 2012
Not sure if the U.S. congress will pay much attention though, !

They don't check references on Wikipedia, lol

Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by Yeske2(m): 3:53pm On Jan 18, 2012
I don't think SOPA extends to Naija, I have been on Wikipedia throughout today and no yawa.
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by manny4life(m): 4:39pm On Jan 18, 2012
They will pay attention when they receive up to 100,000 calls daily with different opinions.
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by sweetpawn1: 5:15pm On Jan 18, 2012
I mean seriously, what are you guys talking about? Wikipedia was never blocked for me!
Re: SOPA Black Out On The Internet (how Is It Affecting You?) by Bawss1(m): 5:18pm On Jan 18, 2012
If only Google went ahead and blocked out its search bar then the protest would have been given much depth.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Get A Prepaid Visa Card In 30 Minutes / Get In Touch With The Best Website Designer Today Enter / Hackers Hit EFCC's Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.