Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,026 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

Guidance On Setting Up A Proxy Sever - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Guidance On Setting Up A Proxy Sever (2274 Views)

Free Proxy List, Web Proxy List, Socks List Download Them As Raw Text Format. / *** The Future Of India Web Proxy Is Here, No More Server( India web Proxyv3)*** / modify12Am 16/07/10 free Us Proxy And Other,first Come First Serve.go Get Yours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guidance On Setting Up A Proxy Sever by bannana(m): 2:26am On Oct 10, 2007
pls Ill like to know how I can use anonymous or unknown servers on my pc when browsing without necessarily making  use of softwares.I understand it makes online surfing safer or even faster.I use starcomms
Re: Guidance On Setting Up A Proxy Sever by Maleeq(m): 5:12am On Oct 10, 2007
Can you break it down further.
Are trying to "Set up a proxy server"? or "use an unknown server( ) to browse" or "browse via a proxy server not hosted by you"?.
Re: Guidance On Setting Up A Proxy Sever by bannana(m): 7:12am On Oct 10, 2007
I mean browse by a proxy server not hosted by you anonymously.
Re: Guidance On Setting Up A Proxy Sever by Maleeq(m): 11:37am On Oct 10, 2007
Now you are talking. Before I proceed on how to achieve this, please review this nairaland thread to see the potential risk you are exposing yourself to.

First, you need to have access to the proxy server itself. Some proxies require authentication(username and/or password), while others don't. The trick here is finding proxies that don't require authentication.

Steps:
1- You can get a list of free/open proxies by googling the keyword "free proxies".

2- With the list of free proxies, you can optional run a check to find out which proxy is active. Go to this link Check Proxy Software to download a proxy checker software or Online Proxy Checker to get which of the free ones are okay for use.
There are FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, SOCK4, SOCK5 proxies. The free proxies you have would duly classified for you already. I'd use the sock anyday because they are more secure.

3- When you have the ok list, simply pick one you want along with the port (should look like this 10.60.18.79:1589, where IP = 10.60.18.79, Port = 1589).

4- If you are using Internet Explorer:
     - On the menu tab, Go to "Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections Tab -> LAN Settings
     - Under the Proxy server group box, click "Advanced"
     - Clear the check box that says "Use same proxy server for all protocols"
     - Depending on the type of proxy you chose, enter it in the appropriate box, and clear all the rest if they have any value in them already.
     - Click on OK thrice.

If you are using Firefox:
     - On the menu tab, go to "Tools -> Options -> Advanced
     - Under the "Connection" group box, click "Settings"
     - Select "Manual proxy configuration" radio button
     - Depending on the type of proxy you chose, enter it in the appropriate box, and clear all the rest if they have any value in them already.
     - Click on OK twice.
5- There you have it, you should be browsing via the proxy server now!

N.B: This does not mean you wont have to pay for subscription to Starcomms. It only means your requests are not handled by starcomms systems anymore but they still remain your link to the rest of the world.

To test if the changes are effected, go to this site My IP. It should reflect the IP you entered. Repeat this procedure if the proxy goes down and you need to replace it with another.

To clear the proxy settings and return to you default:
Internet Explorer:
     - On the menu tab, Go to "Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections Tab -> LAN Settings
     - Clear the "Use proxy for you LAN" check box and then click OK twice

Firefox:
     - On the menu tab, go to "Tools -> Options -> Advanced
     - Under the "Connection" group box, click "Settings"
     - Select "Direct connection to the internet" radio button and then click OK twice

Let me know if you got any more issues.
Re: Guidance On Setting Up A Proxy Sever by earthrealm(m): 8:56pm On Oct 18, 2007
does using proxy server make browsing faster?,

does it increase speed of p2p programmes n bittorrent?, stuff like ares,morpheus limewire etc?
Re: Guidance On Setting Up A Proxy Sever by Maleeq(m): 8:02am On Oct 19, 2007
Not necessarily, it does not make it any faster.

(1) (Reply)

Glo 3.5g Moderm Needed / Laptop For Sale!!!...hp650, 500GB/4GB HDD, Core I3...SOLD!!! / ✈✳✅ Asus Core I5 8GB Ram 750GB Hdd 14.1inch Touchscreen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.