Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,788 members, 7,820,758 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

Charles Taylor 'worked' For C. I. A. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Charles Taylor 'worked' For C. I. A. (1276 Views)

Charles Antwi Tries To Kill Mahama, Ghanaian President (Photo) / Charles Taylor Sentenced to 50 Years in Prison / Charles Taylor Awaits War Crimes Court’s Verdict (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Charles Taylor 'worked' For C. I. A. by blacklion(m): 12:43pm On Jan 19, 2012
Charles Taylor 'worked' for CIA
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16627628

The US has confirmed long-held rumours that former Liberian leader Charles Taylor worked for its intelligence agencies, including the CIA.

The revelation comes in response to a Freedom of Information request by the US-based Boston Globe newspaper.

A Globe reporter told the BBC this is the first official confirmation of a relationship between US intelligence and Mr Taylor.

Mr Taylor is awaiting a verdict on his trial for alleged war crimes.

Rumours of CIA ties were fuelled in July 2009 when Mr Taylor himself told his trial, at the UN-backed Special Court for Sierra Leone in the Hague, that US agents had helped him escape from a maximum security prison in Boston in 1985.

The CIA at the time denied such claims as "completely absurd".

But now the Defence Intelligence Agency, the Pentagon's spy arm, has disclosed that its agents - and those of the CIA - did later use Mr Taylor as an informant.

Globe reporter Bryan Bender told the BBC's Network Africa programme that Pentagon officials refused to give details on exactly what role Mr Taylor played, citing national security.

But they did confirm that Mr Taylor first started working with US intelligence in the 1980s, the period when he rose to become one of the world's most notorious warlords.

He was later elected president.

Mr Taylor has been accused of arming and controlling the RUF rebels in neighbouring Sierra Leone during a 10-year campaign of terror conducted largely against civilians.

If convicted, Mr Taylor would serve a prison sentence in the UK.

He denies charges of murder, violation and using child soldiers.
Re: Charles Taylor 'worked' For C. I. A. by cap28: 2:26pm On Jan 19, 2012
the americans armed, funded and trained him.

they also helped him escape from a maximum security prison in the US.

They used and dumped this scum bag.
Re: Charles Taylor 'worked' For C. I. A. by morpheus24: 3:48pm On Jan 19, 2012
Is this suppposed to be an expose!
Re: Charles Taylor 'worked' For C. I. A. by cfours: 5:27am On Jan 23, 2012
old News:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-297561.0.html

But thanks to the FOI bill, it is now being acknowledged as fact rather than discounted as mere speculation or rumour.
Re: Charles Taylor 'worked' For C. I. A. by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jan 24, 2012
The west keeps (helping?) and ruining third world countries at the same time!

Thanks to corrupt leadership especially in africa.

(1) (Reply)

The Republican Presidential Debate! / Gambia Removes Former President Jammeh’s Image From Bank Notes (Pix) / Saudi Arabia Has Banned Marriage Below 18 Years Of Age - Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.