Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com (7290 Views)

BTjunkie Shuts Down / Naijacyberhactivists Shuts Down Nigeria Police Force Website / Uh Oh, White House Seeks Economic Advice From Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by yawatide(f): 10:43pm On Jan 19, 2012
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jan 19, 2012
Santa Maria! This is going to affect my business. Very soon it will be impossible to get cracks for free!
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by Nobody: 12:26am On Jan 20, 2012
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by Nobody: 12:33am On Jan 20, 2012
lol there's still tv-linke, mehn looks like its back to P2P for apps and movies. i feel a plot to limit information. some New World Order ish.
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by Jenifa1: 12:36am On Jan 20, 2012
are torrent sites going to be shut down too?  undecided
the Mayans may be on to something afterall
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by Nobody: 1:18am On Jan 20, 2012
My #1 Illegal video download site is still alive and well. Yeeees. Let me download all the videos before those damn id1ots shut it down.
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by velo10: 6:11am On Jan 20, 2012

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/20/us-megaupload-piracy-idUSTRE80J08420120120

LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - Federal authorities have charged the owners and operators of the video locker service Megaupload with operating a criminal enterprise that distributes pirated material, the U.S. Justice Department announced on Thursday.

Although the sites they operate advertised that they provide personal storage for users' content, the indictment claims they actually trafficked in hosting television shows and movies -- often offering them to users before their official release.

"Members of the Mega Conspiracy are aware of the way that their sites are actually used by others; have themselves used the systems to upload, as well as reproduce and distribute, infringing copies of copyrighted content; and are aware that they have financially benefited directly from the infringement of copyrighted works that they are in a position to control," the indictment reads.

Kasseem Dean, best known as music producer "Swizz Beatz" and as the husband of Alicia Keys, is not named in the indictment, even though he reportedly serves as Megaupload's chief executive officer.

Megaupload and its sister sites accept online advertising and generate more than $175 million annually, according to a U.S. Justice Department indictment.

The copyright violations are on the order of $500 million in damages, according to the indictment.

The owners and operators of the sites are charged with five counts of copyright infringement and conspiracy. In an announcement, the Justice Department said it ranks "among the largest criminal copyright cases."

It also comes as two bills that would give the Justice Department broader authority to crack down on internet piracy have been hobbled by protests from companies such as Google and Twitter. Tech companies claim the legislation would violate the First Amendment.

Ira Rothken, an attorney for Megaupload, did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The Megaupload owners each face a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison on the charge of conspiracy to commit racketeering, five years in prison on the charge of conspiracy to commit copyright infringement, 20 years in prison on the charge of conspiracy to commit money laundering and five years in prison on each of the substantive charges of criminal copyright infringement.

The indictment alleges that the criminal enterprise is led by the site's founder Kim Dotcom, also known as Kim Schmitz and Kim Tim Jim Vestor, residents of both Hong Kong and New Zealand.

Also charged are the company's Chief Marketing Officer Finn Batato, a German citizen; graphic designer Julius Bencko, a Slovakian citizen; business development chief Sven Echternach, a German citizen; Chief Technical Officer Mathias Ortmann, a German citizen; software programmer Andrus Nomm, an Estonian citizen; and programmer Bram van der Kolk, aka Bramos, a Dutch citizen.

Dotcom, Batato, Ortmann and van der Kolk were arrested Thursday in Auckland, New Zealand, by local authorities. Bencko, Echternach and Nomm remain at large.

Hmmm, so Swizz Beatz was the CEO of MegaUpload. Damn I'll be slacking this year if I don't invest into online advertising
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by highland(m): 11:37am On Jan 20, 2012
This is a war on the internet freedom. Nigerians should get set for such action from our government, it maybe soonest than expected.
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by Salmoneus(m): 11:42am On Jan 20, 2012
Oh no rapidshare may be next WTF!!
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by NSNA: 12:00pm On Jan 20, 2012
Occupy the web
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by Slyr0x: 12:04pm On Jan 20, 2012
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by justwise(m): 12:05pm On Jan 20, 2012
highland:

This is a war on the internet freedom. Nigerians should get set for such action from our government, it maybe soonest than expected.

Rather war on freedom to steal, somebody worked hard to produce those songs and software you are happy to download free without paying a penny.
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by Abayomin70(m): 12:21pm On Jan 20, 2012
highland:

hmm mm
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jan 20, 2012
The thieves are reaping from where they do not sow. Thank God some of them are caught.
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by Slyr0x: 12:35pm On Jan 20, 2012
I'm surprised at the innocence been showed by some people on this thread. .What readily comes to mind is that bible verse where Jesus said "He who is without sin should be the 1st to cast a stone".
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by muyoto: 12:47pm On Jan 20, 2012
justwise:

Rather war on freedom to steal, somebody worked hard to produce those songs and software you are happy to download free without paying a penny.

no mind them
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by justwise(m): 12:49pm On Jan 20, 2012
Slyr0x:

I'm surprised at the innocence been showed by some people on this thread. .What readily comes to mind is that bible verse where Jesus said "He who is without sin should be the 1st to cast a stone".

Nobody is claiming not to have downloaded song or software free in the past but its hypocritical to shout Internet freedom in this case because at one point the free lunch has to stop and you got no right to be angry at the authority.
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by babaowo: 12:50pm On Jan 20, 2012
if you are a nigerian, you are sinner becuase been a citizen already qualify you. So every nigerian is a sinner BE YOU WHO.
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by smarttalks: 1:07pm On Jan 20, 2012
smiley
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by sugardaddy1(m): 1:08pm On Jan 20, 2012
babaowo:

if you are a nigerian, you are sinner becuase been a citizen already qualify you. So every nigerian is a sinner BE YOU WHO.
What the fu.c.k?
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by queensmith: 1:12pm On Jan 20, 2012
nomegavideo was a pi**take! ive been lobbyin that place be shut down. how can u charge people to watch movies you didnt make?
thats nonsense joor
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by muyoto: 1:14pm On Jan 20, 2012
babaowo:

you are not serious . . .
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by kramer: 2:06pm On Jan 20, 2012
queensmith:

nomegavideo was a pi**take! ive been lobbyin that place be shut down. how can u charge people to watch movies you didnt make?
thats nonsense joor

[s]Are you refering to Megaupload or Megavideo  ,   The former is only used for uploads and downloads you cant watch movies on there[/s]

Never mind

Has Megavideo been shut down too
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by Pelumiv(m): 2:17pm On Jan 20, 2012
Putting an end to free video, crying embarassed
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jan 20, 2012
It was never free ya crooks undecided
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by pynkspyce: 3:00pm On Jan 20, 2012
nawa oh
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by queensmith: 3:40pm On Jan 20, 2012
kramer:

[s]Are you refering to Megaupload or Megavideo , The former is only used for uploads and downloads you cant watch movies on there[/s]

Never mind

Has Megavideo been shut down too

i believe the sites are tied, the videos u watch on megavideo are uploaded onto megaupload. correct me if im wrong sha
so yes i assume if megaupload has been shut down then megavideo will be to
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by timpaker(m): 4:12pm On Jan 20, 2012
chei! shocked these people don catch me for megaupload.com
time to device plan B as usual, because me must download free!!! tongue
Awoof no dey run belly joor grin grin grin.
but i go miss the site small, more options are now available, tongue
so STFU!
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by yamakuza: 5:17pm On Jan 20, 2012
How were they able to arrest those people in NZ?

Did they violate US laws or Intl laws?
Re: Uh Oh! Us Govt Shuts Down Megaupload.com by Skii(m): 7:06pm On Jan 20, 2012
Una go fear justice system na, just read the prison sentences that they are liable to face, but if na one country like that wey I sabi, dem go give them highest 2years house arrest inside lekki phase 1 with dstv with chance to go to shoprite and genesis deluxe cinemas every last sunday of the month.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wedding Anniversary Wishes / Why Some Bloggers Can Never Be Successful / Top 7 Adsense Paying Blogging Niches In Nigeria For Newbie Bloggers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.