Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,547 members, 7,955,032 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:57 PM

Programming And Politics: Existing Relationship - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming And Politics: Existing Relationship (1355 Views)

Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success / Convert Existing Website To Phone App? / What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programming And Politics: Existing Relationship by prodam(m): 11:13pm On Jan 21, 2012
Hi, av jst thought of determining relationship that exist between programming and politics, what actually triggered this is the way we programmers solve problems using a step-by-step procedure(algorithm) and some terminologies that can be associated with or use to describe some real-life events. some terminologies like deadlock(operating system) can be associated with what is happening in Nigeria presently where people struggle for power and this lead to a state of chaos and static position( the country would not move forward),
In addition, the algorithmic way our brain is designed has really increased our thinking ability and ability to solve problem by being problem-oriented and approaching problem in a formal way,

Also, any programmer would agree with me that his approach to everyday's problem seem to have been influenced by Programming

In addition, some programmers here on Nairaland including me have posted relevant opinions in the political section of Nairaland, which means there are not opposite but there exist a meaningful relationship,

An article from the Internet reads:

Programming and Politics

If you’re a developer, you’ll probably be able to relate to this analogy.  Once upon a time there was a software project that you were involved that you loved and those that used it loved because it did it’s job well.  Then over time new features got added to it to expand it’s capabilities.  It was modified in different ways to fit different needs.  As new technologies emerged, some where incorporated, but others could not be because the system was already established.  As time went on, the project became outdated, slow, and inefficient.  The code was difficult to maintain and either one of two things happened  Either the project was abandoned in favor of something newer and better or there was a complete rewrite which made the software relavent again.

This is where I feel we are with our current government.  It has become slow and inefficient.  It is difficult to manage and does not meet the needs of the people.  Most everyone agrees that our government is broken regardless of their political opinions.  I hear often that the solution is to vote the current people out of office.  But I don’t believe this solves anything because the problem is with the system as a whole.  It doesn’t matter how good willed and motivated of a person we put in office, they aren’t going to be able to make a difference.

Take President Obama for example.  Whether you agree with him politically or not, you pretty much have to agree that he was highly motivated in 2008 to make a difference.  Did he make a difference?  Not much.  However, I don’t believe it was for a lack of trying.  It’s just not possible with the current system of government that we have in this country.

We vote the republicans into office, nothing happens, so we get angry and vote the democrats in, nothing happens.  We get angry again and vote the republicans in and we just keep continuing the cycle.

I think it is time for a rewrite.  We have learned a lot from our current government, and from other governments.  We have seen what is successful and what is not.  The economics and philosophies have change a lot over the course of our countries history and we need a government designed for it.  I believe that with a proper democratic process, we could write a new system of government that would be much more effective and relevant.

Let’s rewrite our government
***********************************************************************************************************
are you for OR against
Thank you

***.NET and OOP (java) for life***
Re: Programming And Politics: Existing Relationship by bakenda(m): 12:43am On Jan 22, 2012
Man, it seems those politicians are hard-wired with corruption,
it will take some serious flashing to re-program them.
Re: Programming And Politics: Existing Relationship by prodam(m): 12:56am On Jan 22, 2012
bakenda:

Man, those politicians seems to be hard-wired with corruption,
it will take some serious flashing to re-program them.

I hope flashing them would solve their problem, I was thinking of replacing the motherboard,
Re: Programming And Politics: Existing Relationship by bakenda(m): 1:00am On Jan 22, 2012
^^^
That is a better idea, as long as the new motherboard don't run the same BIOS
as the former.

(1) (Reply)

The Best Software To Develop Multiple Choice EXAM Question / PHP & Javascript Developers Needed / I Am Bereft Of Idea Someone Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.