Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,103 members, 7,818,294 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:09 PM

Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help (12794 Views)

Oau Second Semester Resumption Date: November 1 And Lecture Commences November 9 / Oau Second Admission List, Is It Out? / Oau Second List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by veraponpo(m): 5:41pm On Jan 24, 2012
Go to Ife. OAU. Don't even doubt it at all. Please in your own interest.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by joselekas(m): 5:41pm On Jan 24, 2012
I am a living testimony to ur present situation. Graduated top of my class (ND computer sci) @ fed poly ado in 2007. I never had any doubt abt where to go. I will b graduating @ OAU computer engr. this year <b>@ 26</b>. The age shld not b a factor to consider. Most of us DE in my class will b graduating with honours. With ur background u will do excellently well studying compt engr. @ OAU.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by hardbody: 5:47pm On Jan 24, 2012
Guy, i dont care where you choose to pursue your education but one thing is certain, your written grammar is so poor that i would not recommend you to any tertiary institution. Did you really go through a recognized secondary school?
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by tessyade: 6:01pm On Jan 24, 2012
In as much as i will advise you to go to OAU, i will also say here that i have not experience this much talked about HND-BSC discrimination. Am an HND holder and i can tell you sincerely that i earn far more than my Bsc colleagues where i work. This is simply because am into I.T and you know HND graduates are better practical wise. You may not be as lucky as i am, so i advise you to go to OAU. All the best.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by RuuDie(m): 6:04pm On Jan 24, 2012
Discrimination or not, I know the responses I get when I walk into any room anywhere in Naija and present my certificates - hence my initial comments about "a Yabatch kpali carrying weight".
It didn't always land me the job but it didn't make me despair either. . . . .no, I was and never will be fazed because I know, with all boldness and confidence, how very solid the foundation of my education is built upon.

At the end of the day, the certificate you hold doesn't really determine how and where you end. . . . . .the Bsc/B.eng only gives you a slight edge over the next man, a possible early start - but it doesn't guarantee you that the next man isn't going to overtake you at a latter stage.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jan 24, 2012
I was in a similar position some years bk n I chose OAU rather than going bk 2 Mapoly for my HND, a decision I never regretted till today. HND is HND, no two ways about it, except if ur parents have their own business(es) u can manage for them. Sentiment aside, d discrimination in d labour market can frustrate life outta one. Choose OAU I humbly advise. But I still don't get d finance aspect of it. OAU school fees remain one of the cheapest if not d  cheapest obtainable in d country. Choose wisely.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by RuuDie(m): 6:13pm On Jan 24, 2012
2good:

Worst advice you can give to someone that have a BSc admission. It is better to go to Bowen or Kogi State University than to go to Yabatech. HND is HND. Please don't slow down your progress in life because of extra 2 years you will spend studying for your BSc against HND

I am at present practicing what I preached and its going ever so smoothly. . . . .so if I have to use me as a case-study, how can that advice ever be the worst to give the OP!?
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by lond07: 6:21pm On Jan 24, 2012
@poster,

Do a count on those for and those against, and you can be sure most were talking from experience.

Though someone said earlier that tomorrow can change. That is not impossible, but that looks very much of a mirage

The choice is yours,

Few words enough for the wise
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by kunlexist(m): 6:22pm On Jan 24, 2012
e@Poster u've got to be extremely careful in your decisions in the sense that different pple would give different opinion about this. First and foremost, your decision still balls down to what you want out of this life. Forget what they face in the labour market either as a Bsc or Hnd holder, we're always the Architect of our own deeds. However, HND  is nothing compare to B.Eng but i was in your shoe last year and i chose OAU, now a bonafide student of OAU but believe you me am more or less regretting that i chose to go to OAU coz it dosent worth it considering whats my plans for the future are. i should've stayed d in YABATECH for real. Moreover, some people believe that whatever decision that i might av made does worth it but am yet to be convince>
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by osaroodion(m): 6:27pm On Jan 24, 2012
@poster,this is a very hard decision to take. but u have to understand that the result of the decision u will take now will affect ur future either positively or negatively. u have to consider ur family but its not all abt them here, it gat to do with u. take the decision that u wouldnt blame anyone for 2morrow. wish u best of success
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by Jarus(m): 6:39pm On Jan 24, 2012
I once met someone that swore he must have OAU certificate, and that was someone that already had a Bsc from another Nigerian university. And here you are thinking twice before considering OAU, with a Yabatech HND for that matter. People run insane for not getting OAU admission. Go grab the offer, man!
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by ollyruffy: 6:53pm On Jan 24, 2012
This is the advice I will give to my younger brother-

GO TO OAU!!!
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by 76Naira(m): 7:02pm On Jan 24, 2012
kunlexist:

e@Poster u've got to be extremely careful in your decisions in the sense that different pple would give different opinion about this. First and foremost, your decision still balls down to what you want out of this life. Forget what they face in the labour market either as a Bsc or Hnd holder, we're always the Architect of our own deeds. However, HND  is nothing compare to B.Eng but i was in your shoe last year and i chose OAU, now a bonafide student of OAU but believe you me am more or less regretting that i chose to go to OAU coz it dosent worth it considering whats my plans for the future are. i should've stayed d in YABATECH for real. Moreover, some people believe that whatever decision that i might av made does worth it but am yet to be convince>

I agree with some things you have said, but do you know that even in developed countries, the society still has its own way of placing people according to their worth? Do you also know that where you study, what you study and to what extent you study play some role in how you perform as well as in how you are valued?
Please do take a few minutes to review what you wrote. Regardless of your field of interest, being able to communicate effectively would always leave you better placed.
I am surprised you are in IFE.

@Poster, what do you feel about both degrees based on what you know?
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jan 24, 2012
@poster, OAU is a better choice but most times the better choice isn't the best. Trust me, you need to calculate properly-so many things to consider. If u can go to and graduate from, then its d best. Consider also a scenario of dropping out in year 4 due to unavailability of funds or other situations. But if u can, its better otherwise cut ur coat according to ur size. Believe me, I know some HND holders that earn ten times their MSc counterpart
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by mpmp: 7:43pm On Jan 24, 2012

Dear all, I finished my ND @ yaba college of Technology 2010, right now, i am almost done with my one year industrial training. I applied for driect entry to Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife to study computer engineering, Fortunatly, i was giving admissie on. I equally applied for HND @ yabatech to finish up my computer engineering career there, i was equally giving admission, Right now, i am so much confused on which one to take, looking at ASUU strike and how many years i am going to spend @ OAU IFE, if i am @ yabatech, i will just do more two year buy but OAU will take like four years all things being equall, Most importantly, My people are against oau ife cos of the years and financial aspect of it, I really do not know what to do now, I really need your candid advice, I am 23years of age. waiting anxiously for your comments.

chairman, dont make the mistake of throwing away an opportunity to study in OAU.

No matter how bad Nigerian University education is, OAU is still recognized as one of Nigeria's top Universities outside the shores of Naija. I mean to say, even if you carry-last in OAU, you are still better off (certificate wise) than an HND from TechYaba.

And then remember say B.Sc and HND no be dem say dem say the same level o. I know what human resources do, when company management say that all non-Bsc applicants should be filtered, nobody wants to look at your grades, its the degree first.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by Fluid1: 7:54pm On Jan 24, 2012
My dear brother, I studied Mech. Engine, HND, graduated top shot & secure a job after a year of NYSC. Begin from NLNG five years as a Technician earning good pay. Now advance to NNPC with promotion. even after securing B.Tech, Am still proud to be an HND holder, why becoz, dicrimination was not my determining factor, I studied to get the best of Practical experience. please & please, dont let B.eng/ HND discrimination determine your reason for the best in your field of discipline I beg U. B.eng. is good so also HND. if you graduate with 2.2 B.eng. you need more prayers to get a job & I bet you there will still be discrimation between U & your 1st class counterpart. Same with HND. stay blessed.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by JimmyBoy1: 8:04pm On Jan 24, 2012
Neither OAU nor Yaba can give you what it takes to be at par with guys in Silicon Valley or Bangalore, due to decadence in our educational system,we all know this. However, you can compete with anyone in the world with your personal developmental effort to become a world class IT professional. From the tone of your comment, there are some financial constraints so it will be suicidal for you to go for HND because you would have automatically screened yourself out of the very best IT jobs in town.It is better you endure whatever difficulty you may face for the next 4 years at Ife instead of the frustrations of HND discrimination. Please look for people that can help you convince your parents to allow you go to Ife.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by lifestyle1(m): 8:13pm On Jan 24, 2012
If you wanna be your own boss, build your own computer and have your own computer company go for HND but if you have it in mind to be running errand/and making another man a billionaire after school then go for Bsc. I hope you understand me ? grin
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by GOFON(m): 8:25pm On Jan 24, 2012
@Poster,

Read the advice given to you by @SilaV and deal as advised. A word is enough for the wise.

I had OND, HND, Bsc and Msc, all in Electrical-Electronics Engineering.

Through it all, i found out that you will save yourself a lot of time by going for the degree program right away.

The truth of the matter is that HND is not recognised as equivalent to BSc in the Nigerian System.

Even In Britain where HND started, most of those HND awarding institutions are now giving out Msc to their students. if you are an HND graduate in Nigeria, you cannot even mark WAEC. Be guilded.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by Serendipity: 8:28pm On Jan 24, 2012
Raxxye:

I strongly advice u go for a degree in OAU. I made a similar choice in 2002.
And please work had on your English when u get there. Check the words with ““ ““. Should be ‘GIVEN‘, not ‘GIVING‘. No offence intended!
work 'had' or work 'hard'. You see?
hardbody:

Guy, i dont care where you choose to pursue your education but one thing is certain, your written grammar is so poor that i would not recommend you to any tertiary institution. Did you really go through a recognized secondary school?
quote author=76Naira link=topic=853498.msg10038821#msg10038821 date=1327428149]
I agree with some things you have said, but do you know that even in developed countries, the society still has its own way of placing people according to their worth? Do you also know that where you study, what you study and to what extent you study play some role in how you perform as well as in how you are valued?
Please do take a few minutes to review what you wrote. Regardless of your field of interest, being able to communicate effectively would always leave you better placed.
I am surprised you are in IFE.

[quote][/quote]
Our pedantic pedagogues, usually in a desperate bid to gratify their futile ego, never cease to point out other people's gaffe and peccadillo, even when such is superfluosly unnecessary. The worst is that sometimes, in pursuance of this, they ignore their own faux pax.
One even had the temerity to ask whether the poster attended secondary school at all. Such brazen act of imropriety and discourtesy should be frowned on.
Corrections are best made in such a way that they be constructive and don't denigrate the person to whom they are directed.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by cardoso111(m): 8:31pm On Jan 24, 2012
Don't be confused.OAU is one of the lowest in Nigeria.You have the best opportunity in the land Ife remains the greatest!Oba Awon University!!
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jan 24, 2012
@serependity, Ewo! You go fear vocabulary nao. Gud point though
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by cardoso111(m): 8:38pm On Jan 24, 2012
I mean OAU has one of the lowest fees in the land!Getting admission to Ife is not as cheap as you think!Don't miss this opportunity
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by Serendipity: 8:40pm On Jan 24, 2012
Our pedantic pedagogues, usually in a desperate bid to gratify their futile ego, never cease to point out other people's gaffe and peccadillo, even when such is superfluosly unnecessary. The worst is that sometimes, in pursuance of this, they ignore their own faux pax.
One even had the temerity to ask whether the poster attended secondary school at all. Such brazen act of imropriety and discourtesy should be frowned on.
Corrections are best made in such  a way that they be constructive and don't denigrate the person to whom they are directed.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by Yinkay: 8:45pm On Jan 24, 2012
Go for your degree,things are not the same again. I have HND Accounting with professional certs in various accounting field but lucky to have started working before the madness started in the private sector too previously known for applied practical knowledge. It breaks ones heart seen how many HND hides their certs to take jobs as outsourced staffs with ND certs.Albert Einstein went to a Polytechnic but if a Nigerian, the genius in him will be killed by the system.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by Faheedat: 8:48pm On Jan 24, 2012
My brother,
Don't ever try it ,i am aliving witness, GO TO UNIVERSITY PERIOD??
It is not the best experience, YOU WILL SURVIVE IT, A THOUSAND MILE JOURNEY START ONE DAY?
TAKE A BOLD STEP, do not say i did not tell you oooooooooooooooo
AT LAST I  RETURN TO CLASSROOM FOR MY FIRST DEGREE
i believe you will make it ,don't take short .
Briefly, The former Gov. of OYO STATE (Late Bola Ige disgrace up in the public because of STUDENT BURSARY
WHY? He said that if we sabiiiiiii book we are suppose to be in University and he advice us to go and read for us to go to University instead of POLYTECHNIC AND COLLEGE OF EDUCATION
I weep because i was touch
GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by 76Naira(m): 8:59pm On Jan 24, 2012
@ Harzan,

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I work for one of the companies you listed, I had an OND but listened to advice to go for my BEng and I see the difference. Thanks once more.

@Poster, what is your own view of how both degrees are treated?
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by Sagamite(m): 9:01pm On Jan 24, 2012
RuuDie:

Discrimination or not, I know the responses I get when I walk into any room anywhere in Naija and present my certificates - hence my initial comments about "a Yabatch kpali carrying weight".
It didn't always land me the job but it didn't make me despair either. . . . .no, I was and never will be fazed because I know, with all boldness and confidence, how very solid the foundation of my education is built upon.

At the end of the day, the certificate you hold doesn't really determine how and where you end. . . . . .the Bsc/B.eng only gives you a slight edge over the next man, a possible early start - but it doesn't guarantee you that the next man isn't going to overtake you at a latter stage.

Very well said.

@ OP,

What I can tell you is that even though a Yabatech certificate may carry some weight, whatever weight it carries will be inferior to the weight an OAU certificate will carry.

Secondly, even though some will tell you that: "although HND certificates face some discrimination, a Yabatech one faces less or even none". An OAU certificate completely eliminates the word discrimination in the job market, that one is not an if or maybe. With even that OAU certificate, you will still be well positioned to compete with some people with foreign degrees just based on your local context knowledge.

Finally, remember that with your OND, you already have a right to Yabatech on your CV, why not get the OAU tag as well. It will show you are skilled technically and theoretically. [Put that last sentence on your CV or use it at interviews, don't say Sagamite never helped you] cool
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by TmeWillTel: 9:16pm On Jan 24, 2012
undecided
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by GOODMAN1: 9:24pm On Jan 24, 2012
Do not think twice about it. Go to OAU. I know the discrimination HND holders face in the job market.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by Tunby(m): 9:50pm On Jan 24, 2012
Dear poster, I'm also a grad. of COMP.ENG YCT.In fact I finished wt d very 1st set(2008) and wt uper crdt too.I vowed not to go 4 HND, not because I'll be poor if I do, but because I'll neva be fulfilled.I tried DE 2009(UNILAG)wt enough 'leg',didnt click,Ume(UNILAG) nd DE(UI Elect/elect) again in '10 but, no way(ITK and overconfidence killed me in unilag post ume) all those while I was learning to make cloths so I wasnt just idle.In 2011, I finally got into Unilag(c.eng: I so much love dt course).So far, I can tell u dr's a huge difference(d ambience,curriculum not to mention d difference in d cert.).As 4 d money(dts 1 of d reasons I ddnt want to leave lag), just try and get good grades(2.1 and above) in ds 200L and apply 4 scholarships.U can also try doing odd jobs or enrol in work-study program(if dr is in Ife).Goodluck mate(I'm 23 too).
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by maclatunji: 10:27pm On Jan 24, 2012
I think OP should find a way to convince his parents about OAU although his parents probably do know what they are doing and mean well for him.

life_style:

If you wanna be your own boss, build your own computer and have your own computer company go for HND but if you have it in mind to be running errand/and making another man a billionaire after school then go for Bsc. I hope you understand me ? grin

This is the truth, the mindset in both forms of tertiary education is totally different. I have attend lectures and written exams in both University and The Polytechnic and know exactly what you mean. It is also a fact that there are very few people that will ever understand this and use it to their advantage. So, if OP is one of those who don't understand, he had better run to OAU for relative security!

In addition, the fact that you have an HND does not mean you cannot get a degree. He could finish his HND and decide that he wants a degree in Economics or Law but it is nothing but stupidity that will make an individual finish HND in one course and go for a degree in THE SAME course in the University because you wouldn't be learning much, trust me- diversify to be unique!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Of The Private University In Nigeria Is Offering Medicine? / Ongoing Project At Federal University Dustin Ma (FUDMA) Permanent Site / Is A Foetus A Parasite?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.