Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,044 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

Eating At Funerals. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Eating At Funerals. (8213 Views)

Not Eating Your Wife Food!! A Punishment Or What?? / Marraige And Wifey; Eating Your Cake And Having It. Your Advice? / My fiance prefers eating together habits but i dnt like it. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eating At Funerals. by nous(f): 12:32pm On Jan 27, 2012
some people fight for food at funerals. I am just wondering should we even eat at funerals /especially below 50funerals/ not to talk of struggling for food. If you are truly morning a departed soul food should be the last thing on your mind.
Re: Eating At Funerals. by Fhemmmy: 3:58pm On Jan 27, 2012
Eating at funeral is not about not missing the lost soul, it is about celebrating the life that the person lived.
However, people struggling for food there is a sad thing that i guess it is all cos of poverty, not trying to make excuse for them oh.
I remember how come people used to go to such place and pack for to go home . . . i think it is all poverty
Re: Eating At Funerals. by kokoye(m): 5:28pm On Jan 27, 2012
you got that right Fhemmy. poverty mentality
Re: Eating At Funerals. by IbroSaunks(m): 10:50pm On Jan 27, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Eating at funeral is not about not missing the lost soul, it is about celebrating the life that the person lived.
However, people struggling for food there is a sad thing that i guess it is all cos of poverty, not trying to make excuse for them oh.
I remember how come people used to go to such place and pack for to go home . . . i think it is all poverty

but one has to admit, most of the folks that attend funeral ceremonies come mainly for the food and wouldn't care less about the departed. many may not even know the person. peeps who really care about and miss the departed would probably still be shocked and saddened by the fact that the individual is gone forever.
Re: Eating At Funerals. by maclatunji: 7:10am On Jan 28, 2012
Mo gbo mo ya and oshofree join together- shame!
Re: Eating At Funerals. by success4(m): 9:48am On Jan 28, 2012
It has been answered: POVERTY!
Re: Eating At Funerals. by double08(m): 9:48am On Jan 28, 2012
I know a guy who goes to all the funerals in my area,when he gets to the venue,he counts the canopy,if there are 30 canopy he will be taking 30 packs of take away home,we call him the obito commando  cheesy
Re: Eating At Funerals. by Bobbyendy: 9:49am On Jan 28, 2012
I agree more with femmy it has to do  more with poverty and maybe ideology. I remember a man who use to attend any funeral he sees dat is close and  ‎​†ђξ  funniest part is that he will begin to prepare ahead by sometime taking pursh medicine to clear the stomach and if he goes there and  ‎​†ђξ  food is not in excess you will hear him say “that was a useless burial” so poverty is a major player,
Re: Eating At Funerals. by freecocoa(f): 9:54am On Jan 28, 2012
Well person wey die don die and people will definitely get hungry especially people the deceased was not very close with or related to,its no wrong if they have something to eat after staying some hours at the funeral.

Those struggling for food are very shameless,poverty too doesn't help cos believe me in such places,half if not more than of the people there,have no business with the affected,some don't even know who's being buried,they just come there for the food,na these set of people dey drag food pass.  
Re: Eating At Funerals. by Nobody: 9:56am On Jan 28, 2012
eating at funerals is one of the inexplicable quirks of the Nigerian! Rash and Stupid, unthoughtful and gross!
Re: Eating At Funerals. by Andrew3(m): 10:09am On Jan 28, 2012
I have attended a funeral with my spoon and opener because most funerals have limited spoons
and no opener at all. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Eating At Funerals. by Nobody: 10:13am On Jan 28, 2012
To be honest once the death is six feet no one really cares! Life goes on as usually! It is only those whose future and hopes are some how tied to the deceased that probably would care, every other person don't give a dam! The earlier people understand this life and human for whom truly they are the less disappointed you are at them!
Re: Eating At Funerals. by chidike(m): 10:18am On Jan 28, 2012
Eating at funerals isn't wrong. Even overseas people eat and bring food for the family of the deceased. Some people travel long distances to attend the funeral, their humans, they may get hungry, then wat about the kids and a few elderly. It not wrong at all.

Though going to the extent of fighting for food is wrong. In villages ,  people attend various burials of people people they may or may not know just so that they can eat, smh for them, poverty.
Re: Eating At Funerals. by Gentleboby: 10:18am On Jan 28, 2012
No doubt that from Thursday to Saturday 10percent  Nigerian made their feeding through ceremonies occasions nationwide they even made take-away for the week days.
Re: Eating At Funerals. by Maximip(m): 10:23am On Jan 28, 2012
Of course, why shouldn't we eat and fight for food at funerals. The alive must continue living. There are people
that are very violent during funerals and even kill more.
Re: Eating At Funerals. by 4tune1(m): 10:27am On Jan 28, 2012
It is like some of you don't know d rate at which poverty or hunger is dealing with some people. Even some are doing it knowingly that some people will eat at their own funeral too. I'm not justifying their actions oo.
Re: Eating At Funerals. by jamace(m): 10:28am On Jan 28, 2012
I have attended a funeral with my spoon and opener because most funerals have limited spoons
 Are you related to NATH ORJI of the New Masquerade drama? grin grin
Re: Eating At Funerals. by Emperoh(m): 10:29am On Jan 28, 2012
There are deaths that you call celebration of life and ones that are really painful
The genesis of food and drinks at burial was to give people who came from far distances something to hold them
together and equally give them strength to return to their destinations. Hence they were the ones people have in mind while preparing food and drinks for burial ceremonies.

But things have changed. It is now painful that such events have been turned to status symbols activities
and people even struggle to provide.

For me, if the death is a painful one; say under 55 or thereabout (of course all deaths are painful) then there is really no need to put much concentration of food and drinks. I will even eliminate drinks and just provide food.

But if its an elderly demise; say 70 and above please by all means, celebrate, enjoy and have fun.
You are only celebrating the legacies of the deceased and nothing more.

That's Life!!
Re: Eating At Funerals. by sandee575(f): 10:37am On Jan 28, 2012
Some of our traditional values are lamentable. A burial ceremony or a carnival.
Music, dancing, spraying of currency notes £ $ N. Fighting for food, drinks, gifts.
Re: Eating At Funerals. by seedord247(m): 10:43am On Jan 28, 2012
I can't stop laughing with all this funny replies. I'm one of those pple back in those day who use to go to any uninvited party just to get food to cure my hungry. But now I Thank Baba God . . . levels don change 11/11. tongue undecided
Re: Eating At Funerals. by freecocoa(f): 10:50am On Jan 28, 2012
^^walai your case no get remedy. grin grin
Re: Eating At Funerals. by seedord247(m): 10:55am On Jan 28, 2012
freecocoa:

^^walai your case no get remedy. grin grin

my sister na so e beee oooooo . tongue lipsrsealed

You self do do am before
Re: Eating At Funerals. by Switup: 11:05am On Jan 28, 2012
Doule 8 the sentences below ur user name first mak me tink, then e com mak me L.O.L
Re: Eating At Funerals. by freecocoa(f): 11:12am On Jan 28, 2012
seedord247:

my sister na so e beee oooooo . tongue lipsrsealed

You self do do am before
Dat 1 dey sha. cheesy
Re: Eating At Funerals. by FEMARY1: 11:15am On Jan 28, 2012
I think about it at times wether its really appropriate.
Re: Eating At Funerals. by iykak47: 11:25am On Jan 28, 2012
::Andrew:::

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Eating At Funerals. by babestella: 11:37am On Jan 28, 2012
My opinion??, eating at funeral is not right, I think we should find a better way to celebrate our dear loved ones who departed, even if they have lived a worthy life here on earth I still think that food should not be part of celebrating life. we need to be more creative at finding a better way to celebrate loved ones who had passed.
Re: Eating At Funerals. by stagger: 11:49am On Jan 28, 2012
The way it is now done is unbelievably inappropriate. My dad is approaching his 90s, and I tell you, when eventually we send him home to the Lord, anyone who is caught fighting for food will be beaten by soldiers. I will personally make sure of it.
Re: Eating At Funerals. by lilkech(m): 12:09pm On Jan 28, 2012
FUNERAL PARTY

BIRTHDAY PARTY

GRADUATION PARTY

CHIEFTAINCY PARTY

ALL NA PARTY

NO PARTY WITHOUT FOOD

NIGERIANS MUST FIGHT FOR FOOD

SO INVITE REFEREE JOIN
Re: Eating At Funerals. by highland(m): 12:29pm On Jan 28, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Correct.
Re: Eating At Funerals. by Acidosis(m): 12:32pm On Jan 28, 2012
I think the question should be WHY DO WE COOK AT FUNERALS?
Re: Eating At Funerals. by frenchman2: 12:34pm On Jan 28, 2012
africa man tradition. you see how harmful the so called tradition is, yet it goes on and on.

the living go as far as borrowing/taking loans to bury the dead. funerals are now huge feasts.

doesn't make sense to me.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Baby Items At Unbelievably Affordable Prices / List Of Cartoon Television Programs With Lesbian, Gay And Bisexual Characters. / Please Am Darely In Need Of Your Candid Advice On My Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.