Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,631 members, 7,827,346 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? (6240 Views)

What Is The Largest Size Of File That You Have Downloaded With The 4 GSM Network / Accredited Gsm Network Recharge Card/e-voucher Dealers / GSM Network Issues And Problems (Zain, Etisalat, Glo, MTN) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by charlsecy4(m): 9:24pm On Jan 29, 2012
Coverage: This is about the most important factor to be taken care of before deciding which network to choose. Of what use is it to go for a network whose service signal is either weak or non-existent in your area? In fact, this factor is a given. If, for example, you are in an area covered by Etisalat, but not by Airtel or any other network, no one needs to to be told that if you must use a GSM phone, you must go for Etisalat. No matter the cost of their service and other considerations, you have no other choice but to go for Etisalat. In a case where at least two GSM networks have active strong signals in your area, that is when you will think about other factors.

Cost: If you have, say, two service providers that have signals in your area: One network is X, while the other network is Y. Network X charges 30k/sec, whereas Network Y charges 20k/sec. All other things being equal, you will choose Network Y because they charge a lower price for the same service.

On-net and off-net considerations: On-net calling is when you call another subscriber in the same network as you. Off-net calling is when you put a call through to a subscriber on another network. Infact, any telecom transaction, be it call or SMS, that you conduct between another subscriber who is on a different network is off-net. Networks usually run a price discrimination regime which is in favour of on-net calls. For example, if you are on Airtel Club 10, calls to non-club Airtel lines are charged at 20k/sec while calls to other local networks are placed at 30k/sec. If most of your friends and family, or those you regularly call, are on a particular network, you can enjoy some on-net call and SMS benefits if you choose the same network.

Freebies: Freebies may include free calls, free SMS/MMS, free data resource, and so forth. Most networks in Nigeria offer some freebies. Some examples: Etisalat has their weekly 15 free MB and MMS, free calls and SMS, and so forth. Airtel has weekly 10 free MB, free calls, SMS, and so on. When MTN started their free midnight call, many people were attracted to the network. MTN offers free MB and a host of other incentives. Glo also offers various incentives. The main reason I bought an Etisalat SIM is because of their free weekly data resource. I hope you have seen how freebies offered by service providers can attract subscribers!

Can you think of any other factor that you influence your choice of network? Feel free to drop your comments.

Source
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by Nobody: 2:03am On Jan 30, 2012
I gez yeah cuz of the MB and the network services like etisalat has constant net service but glo's low sometimes full.
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by samguru(m): 3:05am On Jan 30, 2012
My solidarity and nationalistic support for anything made in Nigeria will forever remain undauted am always proud our green white green am a bonafide subscriber of GLO network.
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by Dclique(m): 6:32am On Jan 30, 2012
For most subscribers, i think its the promo's.
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by Baawaa(m): 2:09pm On Jan 30, 2012
Quality of service( Q.O.S)
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by Eltonluigi(m): 2:20pm On Jan 30, 2012
Cheap rate
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by Acidosis(m): 2:28pm On Jan 30, 2012
Dclique:

For most subscribers, i think its the promo's.
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by user32(m): 2:47pm On Jan 30, 2012
for me INTERNET plus 3g network, chikena
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by dammizz(m): 2:48pm On Jan 30, 2012
Wide coverage and affordability
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by Amalaaba: 2:51pm On Jan 30, 2012
I use GLO because it is Nigerian and gives me the best rate on calls to all network.
My MTN is only good to receive calls and make some occasional on-net calls.
My Etisalat is a stand by line.
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:13pm On Jan 30, 2012
Quality of Service.

Thats why I chose MTN. They may be douche bags, but no other Network comes close.
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by Blackteeth(m): 3:14pm On Jan 30, 2012
Mehn. . . I only consider cost. GLO is the most pocket friendly network as it stands now.
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by ignis: 3:26pm On Jan 30, 2012
I use Etisalat because of the monthly 15MB
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by favour136: 3:34pm On Jan 30, 2012
glo rules while others follows
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jan 30, 2012
MTN mehnnn, they have the best Q.O.S, dey myt be a little bit stingy/expensive sha, But i don't av tym for nonsense,
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by Konnektions146(m): 4:44pm On Jan 30, 2012
being a GLO subscriber for a while now and i am still very proud of being one,

GLO ALL THE WAY

both for voice and data
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by segunjowo(m): 4:55pm On Jan 30, 2012
MTN is nonsense. I use a mobile phone with two SIM slots just to receive calls on my MTN from old friends I intend to keep, otherwise I've got nothing to do with them.
Ijogz K:

MTN mehnnn, they have the best Q.O.S, dey myt be a little bit stingy/expensive sha, But i don't av tym for nonsense,
Who told you they have superior Q.O.S? I tell you, any GSM network is as good as their coverage radius from DB. GLO and Airtel is the best, cost-wise. though I use Airtel presently, I understand GlO is as cheap as Airtel, if not better.
I really don't understand Etisalat. I have their SIM, but don't use it.
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by Fax2011: 4:59pm On Jan 30, 2012
I have tasted the services of virtually all the available GSM Service Providers in Nigeria and have decided to remain with MTN for two solid reasons: 1. Coverage. 2. Q.O.S
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by KayDee4: 5:16pm On Jan 30, 2012
Coverage: MTN network was the first to come to my school town somewhere in the east, I've been with them since then and still use it even in my current location. Tried all the other networks alongside over the years and they just didn't impress me. grin grin
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by Johnpaul2k2(m): 6:40pm On Jan 30, 2012
Division of labour grin grin
i use Etisalat for 15MB (FREE!!) and other Micro Chips grin
i Embrace Glo for Lowest call rate across network, Good 3.5G widest Coverage and Freedom Browsing grin grin
angry Mtn angry hmn Old Line for some Old Folks ( receiving Only)
Airtel just a network in Nigeria cheesy
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by begwong: 10:45pm On Jan 30, 2012
ignis:

I use Etisalat because of the monthly 15MB
MONTHLY? I guess u mean WEEKLY
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by jpilata(m): 11:38pm On Jan 30, 2012
As for me,i have the 4 lines.

Mtn , Has a very good network and most of my friends are using it.

Etisalat, Just becos of the 15mb

Glo, Just becos the low call rate

Airtel, Sometime becos of the 10mb
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by chelseabmw(m): 12:05am On Jan 31, 2012
i love glo but am using mtn wink
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by FEMARY1: 12:24am On Jan 31, 2012
Cost and Internet

Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by deadly: 4:34am On Jan 31, 2012
mi prefer etisalat (easy cliq).
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by Nobody: 7:00am On Jan 31, 2012
mtn nor get rival. Communication at its best.
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by donaremu(m): 7:40am On Jan 31, 2012
Those early days of the network, I choose a network operator because of their Network Coverage but now it is because of their customercentric offerings. In terms of their tariff pricing, loyalty scheme and customer care respond time. cool
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by hordexex(m): 8:30am On Jan 31, 2012
At this moment, I'm not happy with MTN due to the fact that my phone was stolen on the 6th January and i went to to their office for retrieval last week. unfortunately, i was told that my line has been recycled.
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by Revolva(m): 8:47am On Jan 31, 2012
Welll Gsm operation in Nigeria is expensive, wel talk about fuel and diesel maintenance.of the base station situated around town, for good network coverage, do you know how much MTN,AIRTEL,ETISALAT,GLO and he rest VISAFONE,MULTILINK,STARCOMM.ZOOM, Spend on diesel o power the lister generator.s to keep it going day to day, now compare it to MTN Ghana , in which Ghana has steady power supply, you will know that its expensive to maintain here,

infact i heard that Ex vice president Atiku owns, mikano generator company who is in contract with MTN, Nigeria to provide generator for all the base station in Nigeria, and again Atiku may be the one to supply diesel to them, so how does Nigeria want to get staedy power suply.when come cats are benefiting from the power outrage

damm
Re: What Factor(s) Influenced Your Choice Of A Gsm Network? by Saddam: 7:38pm On Apr 14, 2012
Booster

(1) (2) (Reply)

I’ve Bought Huawei Nova 3i, This 2019, I Must Blow! / MTN Introduces New Cheap Data Plans For 2020, Partners With Opera / My Dream Phone Has Finally Come To Life, unveiling the best camera smartphone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.