Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,855 members, 7,813,912 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

First Born - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / First Born (2748 Views)

Which Is Better: Boy Or Girl As First-born? / Why Do People Like To Have Male Child As First Born? / Are You The First Born In Your Family? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Born by omigin: 10:47pm On Jan 29, 2012
Is it true that first born of any family in Africa actually suffers and hardly succeed in life, being it male or female, irrespective of the tribe or religion. please I need your matured and honest response. please no tribe conflict like only Yoruba, Ahusa or Igho pass through these.
Re: First Born by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jan 29, 2012
Thats not true
Re: First Born by MissyB3(f): 12:02am On Jan 30, 2012
omigin:

Is it true that first born of any family in Africa actually suffers and hardly succeed in life, being it male or female, irrespective of the tribe or religion. please I need your matured and honest response.
False!
They, however, usually have more responsibilities compared to their sibling(s).
Re: First Born by maclatunji: 9:19pm On Jan 30, 2012
omigin:

Is it true that first born of any family in Africa actually suffers and hardly succeed in life, being it male or female, irrespective of the tribe or religion. please I need your matured and honest response. please no tribe conflict like only Yoruba, Ahusa or Igho pass through these.

Are you African? Why do you ask?
Re: First Born by omigin: 10:50pm On Jan 30, 2012
Yes. I am an African all the way from Ekiti state.The first born of my daddy's mother, some how started well but right now his not having the best of time,his even down with a stroke and not been able to move around to cater for him self because he never trained any of his children up polytechnic or university.
Re: First Born by moremi2008(m): 2:15am On Jan 31, 2012
That's patent falsehood. However, there are two trends that tend make first born children less successful than their younger siblings:

1) First born children are typically born earlier in the parents' lives, typically at a time when there are less resources to send the child to the best schools
2) First born children often makes career-stunting sacrifices for their younger siblings. I have heard of several stories of first born children choosing to stop their education early so they can start working to support their younger siblings. I have also have a relative who refused to "travel abroad" on a scholarship in the sixties because he was the sole breadwinner of the family after the dad passed away. Guess what? The younger brother literally ran off to London in the early eighties and is now a big-shot in Lagos! Na so life be!

All things being equal however, there is no reason why a first born child is predisposed to poverty. grin
Re: First Born by maclatunji: 6:19am On Jan 31, 2012
moremi2008:

That's patent falsehood. However, there are two trends that tend make first born children less successful than their younger siblings:

1) First born children are typically born earlier in the parents' lives, typically at a time when there are less resources to send the child to the best schools
2) First born children often makes career-stunting sacrifices for their younger siblings. I have heard of several stories of first born children choosing to stop their education early so they can start working to support their younger siblings. I have also have a relative who refused to "travel abroad" on a scholarship in the sixties because he was the sole breadwinner of the family after the dad passed away. Guess what? The younger brother literally ran off to London in the early eighties and is now a big-shot in Lagos! Na so life be!

All things being equal however, there is no reason why a first born child is predisposed to poverty. grin

You are right about responsible older siblings making sacrifices for young ones but whilst making those sacrifices you need to be smart and not forget that you have to build yourself as an individual too.

As for wealth, academic and professional success- those are tied to your destiny and God gives them to whom he wills. It is not that the elder brother in your story did not have opportunities (outside of the scholarship he left) but he wasn't destined to be a big shot- pure and simple.
Re: First Born by moremi2008(m): 6:41am On Jan 31, 2012
maclatunji:

You are right about responsible older siblings making sacrifices for young ones but whilst making those sacrifices you need to be smart and not forget that you have to build yourself as an individual too.

As for wealth, academic and professional success- those are tied to your destiny and God gives them to whom he wills. It is not that the elder brother in your story did not have opportunities (outside of the scholarship he left) but he wasn't destined to be a big shot- pure and simple.

Honestly, I am a bit of skeptical of the concept of "destiny". It's the biggest case of hindsight bias the world has ever known. We make our own destinies; we reserve the right to spin the story of our lives anyhow we like in hindsight though. grin

But let's not derail the thread. I am personally interested in this because I am the first child and I have been considering cutting-off my spoilt siblings for a while now and keeping the family business for myself and my future wife. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: First Born by spicyhoney(f): 8:31am On Jan 31, 2012
False.
Being successful or not is not tied to your position in the family. The only thing peculiar to 'first borns' is that 'some not all' have a sense of responsibilty towards their younger siblings.
Re: First Born by dasparrow: 11:04pm On Jan 31, 2012
All I know is that first borns in Africa have more responsibilities especially if their father died young and left behind several mouths to feed and take care of and the mother is poor. Also, tradition expects more from them like the burial arrangement of the parents and things like that. Honestly, I don't envy first born Africans at all. It has its advantages and disadvantages as well.
Re: First Born by youngboss1(m): 10:26am On Feb 01, 2012
That is the biggest joke have heard. Not at all grin
Re: First Born by moremi2008(m): 10:30am On Feb 01, 2012
youngbo$$:

That is the biggest joke have heard. Not at all grin

Where's the joke? What company manufactures these baby imbeciles and sends them out to torment NL with foolishness? grin grin grin
Re: First Born by Okijajuju1(m): 10:33am On Feb 01, 2012
omigin:

Yes. [size=14pt]I am an African all the way from Ekiti state.[/size]The first born of my daddy's mother, some how started well but right now his not having the best of time,his even down with a stroke and not been able to move around to cater for him self because he never trained any of his children up polytechnic or university.

Thats his problem right there.

I was in my shrine reading this and decided to consult the gods to know why his situation is so and all I kept seeing was EKITI. He has a long treacherous road ahead of him if he doesnt come to my shrine for us to break the EKiti curse from him.

Ask Ileke Idi about the curse, she'll tell you.
Re: First Born by youngboss1(m): 12:43pm On Feb 01, 2012
E neva reach abuse @
Re: First Born by WhiteOne(f): 2:44pm On Feb 01, 2012
The first mail born of my husband family is a mess, I never meet a so selfish person in my whole live, he is robbing all his siblings aboard, he took expensive cars, land, building material and god knows “what”, he has been throw two international employers and throw contacts, throw wife’s and throw god knows “what”, but if you first meet him, he presents himself as a holy men, I am so sorry for everybody “how” cross his paths, the only thing, which makes me smile is god will deal with him more and more, very soon, I am sure of this . . . .
Re: First Born by Okijajuju1(m): 3:13pm On Feb 01, 2012
^^^^

Omo you sure say you go school at all?! shocked

Jesus of Congo Brazaville!!! shocked I been think say this egbo don dey high me until I read am like 6 times.
Re: First Born by Fhemmmy: 3:38pm On Feb 01, 2012
Lie from the pit of hell. . . . Success and failure is all in our hands, God is willing if we are willing
Re: First Born by Okijajuju1(m): 4:03pm On Feb 01, 2012
@ OP

I am the first of 5 kids (no steps), and I can say that I am a trend setter. I have set the bar very high for my siblings and they are doing very well. I am not suffering at all and I must say that life is going well for me.

(1) (Reply)

13 Reasons To Make Love With Your Spouse Every Night / Will You Advise Recommendation When Choosing A Life Partner? / Deleted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.