Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,438 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

First Human To Be "infected" By A Computer Virus -a British Scientist Claimed - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / First Human To Be "infected" By A Computer Virus -a British Scientist Claimed (1092 Views)

How To Create A Computer Virus(educative Purpose Only) / Opinion: Imminent Internet Outage For Infected Computers on 9th July / My Laptop Is Infected By Virus Please Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

First Human To Be "infected" By A Computer Virus -a British Scientist Claimed by biometrics: 3:30pm On Jan 30, 2012
A British scientist has claimed to be the first human to be "infected" by a computer virus.Dr. Mark Gasson, a senior research fellow working at Reading University's Cybernetic Intelligence Research Group, told the BBC he has infected himself with a computer virus after implanting an RFID chip into his hand.

That's the kind of device normally used to tag pets in case they get lost -- but at Reading University scientists are using them to open security doors, unlock their mobile phones and -- it appears -- spread viruses.

Dr. Gasson breathlessly told BBC technology correspondent Rory Cellan-Jones that in the future pacemakers and other implants could be vulnerable to computer virus infection.

But hang on a minute. What's the real threat here?

First of all, it's irrelevant that Dr. Gasson implanted the RFID chip under his skin. It makes no difference to its ability to infect other devices. He could just as easily have put it in the lining of his jacket or chipped his Siamese cat.

Second, is the RFID chip really infectious? Well, no. Not really.

As I explain on my blog, the infection entirely relies on the external RFID reader containing a security vulnerability that would be exploited when it read the code from the RFID chip.

Aside from the problematic issues involved with how hackers would infect the RFID chips in the first place I think that's a pretty unlikely series of events. Read more from the link below.

source: http://www.darkreading.com/blog/227700962/if-i-stick-a-usb-stick-up-my-nose-does-that-mean-i-m-virus-infected.html

(1) (Reply)

I Need Recovery CD For DV6-7125NR / Done / Hw To Solve Write Protrcted On Usb Flash Drive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.