Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:47 AM

Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel (7832 Views)

Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos / 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution / All GO's & Religious Leaders Must Go To Prison — Pastor Tunde Bakare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by damoskiy(m): 8:21am On Feb 01, 2012
February 1, 2012 by Kunle Falayi 3 Comments

When the Lagos State Government started its clampdown on religious houses that placed public address systems outside their worship houses in 2007, the move was hailed by many and criticised by those who saw it as anti-religion.

Four years after the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency started issuing threats to religious organisations to put in place soundproof materials or face sanction, noise pollution is still a problem in the state, Metro has learnt.

Working under the state’s Noise Pollution Policy, LASEPA had said there was the need to ensure that places of worship do not constitute a public nuisance.

General Manager of LASEPA, Mr. Adebola Shabi, told our correspondent in a telephone interview that the policy stipulated that the noise level of religious houses should not exceed 65 decibels during the day and 45 at night.

Even though the policy focuses on religious houses, there are many other contributors to noise pollution in the state.

The noisiest part of the metropolis are motor parks where hawkers, bus conductors, and Compact Disc sellers create a lot of noises, in a bid to attract passengers and customers.

Ketu, Obalende, Oshodi, Iyana-Ipaja, Berger, Ojota, Ikeja areas of the state are some of the places where noise disturbs passers-by.

Generators, which are common to every household in Lagos, are also major noise pollutants in the state.

Findings by Metro reveal that many religious houses are not aware of the noise level stipulated by law and some of those who are aware said there was no way they could determine whether they operated within the approved decibel.

“I heard about the noise level issue in 2010, but the problem is how to determine whether we have actually violated that level or not at a particular time. If residents of areas around churches complain, then churches will know the noise they are making is too much. In our case here, we have not got any complaint. So, we can assume, we are not constituting a nuisance,” the pastor of a church, Mr. Joseph Ariyo, said.

An Imam at a mosque in Iyana Ipaja, Mr. Quadri Olagunju, said he was not aware there was a noise level stipulated for religious houses.

“I am aware the government gave an order that religious houses should remove public address systems outside their worship houses. But I am not aware there was anything like a decibel they must not go beyond. In our own case, even though we have a loudspeaker outside the mosque, we don’t make much noise,” he said.

In Ogba area of Ikeja, our correspondent noticed a church where programmes are consistently announced through loudspeakers.

The pastor of the church, who pleaded anonymity, said it was intended to “bless” other people who would not have the time to attend the church programme. He also said he was not aware there was a noise level they must not go beyond.

He said, “I think people who are engaged with one thing or another can be blessed through our teachings inside their houses.

“Nobody has actually complained that we are noisy or disturbing the peace of this area. I’m sure the residents have no problem with us.”

Asked if he was aware the state government was against placing loudspeakers outside of religious houses, the priest said he was, but that the noise emanating from the church was minimal compared with motor parks.

Our correspondent spoke to a resident of a building beside the church, Mrs. Ogechi Amadi, who said people were wary of complaining against a religious house.

“Nobody wants to incur the wrath of a church. You know how these churches can be. They could start praying against you if you complain about them. I personally don’t have a problem with the noise because I am accustomed to it,” she said.

Few metres from the church, a mosque also announced its programmes through a loudspeaker placed outside. The Imam of the mosque, who identified himself as Alhaji AbdulKareem, said the loudspeakers emit very low noise and that they only use the speakers on Friday and Sunday.

The Imam said he did not know the government had prescribed noise level, which religious houses must not go beyond.

Metro recently published a story of a septuagenarian who was lamenting the health hazard she faced as a result of noise emanating from a church close to her house.

Many residents of the state have the same problem to contend with because of the proximity of their houses to motor parks and religious houses.

At Ketu Bus Stop, our correspondent counted a number of shops, where loudspeakers are placed outside and loud music blared.

The residents around the bus stop said they were accustomed to the noise.

“This place has always been like this. The only time we get a moment of respite from the noise is when we are asleep. The nuisance starts again with the shouts of bus conductors at dawn,” Mr. Chibu Akuegbu said.

At Oshodi Bus Stop, our correspondent saw a man with a cart laden with CDs and a record player. The player was loudly playing different songs as he pushed his way through the street. This is a common sight in Lagos.

The CD seller told our correspondent that that was his own way of attracting customers.

“Passers-by also enjoy the music I play. The advantage is that anybody who ordinarily will not want to buy a CD might be attracted by the music and stop to buy. You are very funny. You think this is pollution? Not having money to feed my children when I don’t sell, that is pollution. I need to attract customers,” he said.

At Ojodu area of Lagos, it has also become common to see men pushing specially made carts with religious inscriptions, playing music and using a megaphone to preach.

A recent visitor to Lagos, who pleaded anonymity, gave her opinion of the problem of noise in Lagos.

She said, “My recent trip to Lagos confirmed a lot of what I have heard concerning the new face of Lagos as a mega city.

“However, the stark reality is that Lagos is extremely noisy. Everywhere you go it is noise. At some point I felt I was going insane. Unfortunately, I have yet to see what the state government is doing concerning this form of pollution capable of diminishing the quality of lives of citizens.

“Generators, welding machines, English Premiership league football fans cheering their clubs, vehicles and inconsiderate motorists, cart pushers and stall owners who deal in CDs, DVDs constitute a public nuisance in Lagos.”

However, Shabi said, “We’ve asked religious houses to soundproof their buildings so that even if their services will produce much noise, it will not constitute a nuisance to residents.

“We have been extremely careful because some people said the state government is against religion. What we have been doing usually is to invite religious organisations against which residents have lodged complaints and tell them to ensure they do not constitute a nuisance to their neighbours.

“We have sealed some religious houses for noise pollution offences especially when we have given them warnings and the problem still persists. For instance, we got a complaint somewhere recently and we are going to do something about it on Monday.”

When asked why CD sellers and other people who contribute to noise pollution in the state were not being checked, Shabi said, “When it is a market area, we usually overlook those places because we know the noise is a result of selling of goods. Our focus is on noise pollution in residential areas.”

A medical doctor, Moses Ajebiyi, warned that continuous exposure to noise could impair hearing.

Adebiyi said, “The effect of noise is not just about the irritation it constitutes to one’s ears. It could elevate one’s stress level to the extent that one could develop hypertension, chronic stress or sleep disorder. In the case of someone who already has hypertension, consistent exposure to noise can seriously aggravate the problem.

“It could affect one’s productivity and depending on how much noise one is exposed to, it could lift one’s hearing threshold to such an extent that one could become partially deaf. It could also lead to sleep deprivation.”

link http://www.punchng.com/metro/noise-pollution-religious-leaders-deny-knowledge-of-approved-decibel/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by Nobody: 9:59am On Feb 01, 2012
I'll also blame the LASG. There was no broad sensitization campaign, how do you expect the thousands of churches to adhere?
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by victorazy(m): 5:19pm On Feb 01, 2012
Anti Christ has taken over Nigeria, kai!!
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by pendo89(f): 5:33pm On Feb 01, 2012
Was imposed by the council in my country and it works.  if you must make loud noise in any gathering you need a licence from the council.
or else its a criminal offence to disturb the peace of others esp in a busy city and during office/night hours.
Its good to know God is a God of order and God respects the law of the land > give ceasar's what is ceasar's.
Bible commands people not to be stumbling blocks.
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by chines4(m): 5:35pm On Feb 01, 2012
victorazy:

Meaning that places of worship should be noisy or what.
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by Nobody: 5:41pm On Feb 01, 2012
Do these religious leaders need a law for them to realise they are nuisances?
Social responsibility should let them know that they shouldn't be blaring speakers while they hold their services.
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by laoma15(m): 5:55pm On Feb 01, 2012
It is noteworthy that while LASG enacted the law banning public speakers in religious houses, they have done nothing to effect compliance.

The noise of loud speakers blasting call to prayers by Muslim clerics every 5o'clock is a complete nuisance.

I find it difficult to belief  that in this 21st century when the alarm clocks and handsets abound with alarm system, somebody will still derive pleasure blasting the speakers every morning in the name of religion.

There are little kids that need their sound sleep, what about people that belongs to other faith?.

The use of public speakers is nothing but a complete nuisance and people should stop hiding under religion.

Why is it that we don't have such level of noise pollution in places like Ikoyi and Victoria Island? Is someone telling me that there are no mosques/churches in these areas?

Whenever I have something to do or visit a relative and slept over on Island, I slept peacefully till day break.

I spent my last holiday in Portharcourt and I was surprised that there was no noise of call to prayers by mosques to wake me up rudely in the early hours of the morning.

What about the blasting of car and motorbike horn? some of the riders has turned honing into toy. They derived pleasure pressing it at will like a baby playing with a toy.

LASG need to do something urgently about the level of noise pollution in the metropoly. If not whole lot of People risk health hazards associated with high level of noise pollution.

Oworoshoki area is like hell with speakers blasting with morning call to prayers every morning. The case is worse during fasting periods when mosques organises programmes virtually every nights.

Yes, their is freedom of religion but this needs to be done with lots of wisdom and concern for fellow human kind. God does not permit any religion to disturb or constitute noise nuisance to fellow human.

Muslims in Germany never do call to prayers. All Churches and Mosques in developed countries are sound-profed.

It is high time we wake up from our slumber in this country and do the right thing.

LASG please do something about this once ans for all!!!
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by Nobody: 6:02pm On Feb 01, 2012
victorazy:

and we wonder why Nigeria is still where it is today
example quoted
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by kombats: 6:16pm On Feb 01, 2012
Go ask
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by ekwynwa: 6:18pm On Feb 01, 2012
StarBoard:

Do these religious leaders need a law for them to realise they are nuisances?
Social responsibility should let them know that they shouldn't be blaring speakers while they hold their services.

most times the worshipers are in the spirit
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by GWslim(f): 6:48pm On Feb 01, 2012
Govt should learn how to communicate their policies and law to the people in an effective way rather than expecting magic from them.
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by ArQueBusieR(m): 6:50pm On Feb 01, 2012
A whooping 65dB?! Mahn, that's a whole lot of clipping. I recommend limiters.  lolz
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by N101: 7:05pm On Feb 01, 2012
pendo89:

Was imposed by the council in my country and it works. if you must make loud noise in any gathering you need a licence from the council.
or else its a criminal offence to disturb the peace of others esp in a busy city and during office/night hours.
Its good to know God is a God of order and God respects the law of the land > give ceasar's what is ceasar's.
Bible commands people not to be stumbling blocks.

It works where you're from because people still have respect for the rule of law; they know if they break it they will bw punished. Not so in Lagos or Nigeria where people care little for the rule of law.

Look at some of the comments from some of these people in the article, like they don't know what 'reasonable' sound levels are. Or you can't ask a religious place to turn it down or they will persecute you.

Above the noise of the generator I can hear a cacophony of churches. Let me not go into the nonsense some of them say under the guise of being 'in the spirit'.
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by Oti4truth: 7:15pm On Feb 01, 2012
@laoma15. You must be a bigoted ape. What about churches? Are they also not contributing to the noise. Dont be prejudiced on any issues concerned religioo
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by drstan(m): 7:40pm On Feb 01, 2012
At least d noise during the day can be manageable, bt the one of 5.oclock prayer,gussh make me go wild , ,
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by pendo89(f): 7:44pm On Feb 01, 2012
N101:

It works where you're from because people still have respect for the rule of law; they know if they break it they will bw punished. Not so in Lagos or Nigeria where people care little for the rule of law.

Look at some of the comments from some of these people in the article, like they don't know what 'reasonable' sound levels are. Or you can't ask a religious place to turn it down or they will persecute you.

Above the noise of the generator I can hear a cacophony of churches. Let me not go into the nonsense some of them say under the guise of being 'in the spirit'.

I am a christian but I know what it means to be a nuisance.
Its just like stealing office working hours to preach and when you get the sack you claim its persecution. No its stupidity and God approves of your sacking.
Why do we blame the spirit for our own foolishness? The same God who commands order and respect? We say yes we must preach in season and out of season but hey, who wants to listen to you when they are hungry or tired and need rest?? There are times Jesus gave people real food not word cz he was in the spirit! And they stuck by him. Nowdays we make more noise and act less.
Actions speak more than words and any christian expecting to win souls must make less noise and act more.

1 Like

Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by Finland(m): 8:18pm On Feb 01, 2012
Kai! grin I remember when I was in Nigeria few years ago, it was hell! There was a church opposite my house and a mosque beside my house. The church would declared vigil from 12am till about 5am with claps and drums o! and by the time they finish I would sigh and plan to catch some sleep but alas! The mosque would start their own. grin It was not funny at that time though.
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by medinatl: 9:17pm On Feb 01, 2012
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by amec(m): 9:22pm On Feb 01, 2012
you make noise to attract customers attention. noise from mosque or church is nothing but an advertisement effort.
i just wonder if these efforts are truely for god or their pockets.
hell sure they must be stoped.
let government publish the website address on tv, radios as well as in some cable networks, on where concerned citizens could lodge an online complaint against any noise offender.
a sort of 911 for people who are being spamed to death in their homes for god's sake.
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by kizito96(m): 10:28pm On Feb 01, 2012
I hope the muslims will adhere to this. Their early morning and afternoon call for prayers is annoying
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by MinCeteris: 11:35pm On Feb 01, 2012
laoma15 Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel
« #6 on: Today at 05:55:22 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is noteworthy that while LASG enacted the law banning public speakers in religious houses, they have done nothing to effect compliance.

The noise of loud speakers blasting call to prayers by Muslim clerics every 5o'clock is a complete nuisance.

I find it difficult to belief that in this 21st century when the alarm clocks and handsets abound with alarm system, somebody will still derive pleasure blasting the speakers every morning in the name of religion.

There are little kids that need their sound sleep, what about people that belongs to other faith?.

The use of public speakers is nothing but a complete nuisance and people should stop hiding under religion.

Why is it that we don't have such level of noise pollution in places like Ikoyi and Victoria Island? Is someone telling me that there are no mosques/churches in these areas?

Whenever I have something to do or visit a relative and slept over on Island, I slept peacefully till day break.

I spent my last holiday in Portharcourt and I was surprised that there was no noise of call to prayers by mosques to wake me up rudely in the early hours of the morning.

What about the blasting of car and motorbike horn? some of the riders has turned honing into toy. They derived pleasure pressing it at will like a baby playing with a toy.

LASG need to do something urgently about the level of noise pollution in the metropoly. If not whole lot of People risk health hazards associated with high level of noise pollution.

Oworoshoki area is like hell with speakers blasting with morning call to prayers every morning. The case is worse during fasting periods when mosques organises programmes virtually every nights.

Yes, their is freedom of religion but this needs to be done with lots of wisdom and concern for fellow human kind. God does not permit any religion to disturb or constitute noise nuisance to fellow human.

Muslims in Germany never do call to prayers. All Churches and Mosques in developed countries are sound-profed.

It is high time we wake up from our slumber in this country and do the right thing.

LASG please do something about this once ans for all!!!

Laoma 15

So angry and loud about Muslim's call to prayers in the morning, but very silent and comfortable with Christian night crusade.

You are just a fanatics
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by MinCeteris: 11:42pm On Feb 01, 2012
Laoma 15

Learn how to analyse and present issues,

Whatever you write will be read by inteligent people and your personality will be judged from your presentation.
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by consultans: 3:23am On Feb 02, 2012
THE YOU WISH TO WORK IN QATAR HERE IS YOUR IS THE CHANCE.THE QATAR CONSTRUCTION COMPANY ARE HERE IN NIGERIA IN STARCH OF MANPOWER TO WORK IN THEIR FIRM IN QATAR WITH HIGH PAY ATRACTIVE SALARY. CALL US ON +2348165027376 PRINCIPAL
CONSTRUCTION
ACTIVITIES »
Qatar Building Company
offers expertise and
, market know-how not
only in pure construction
work, but also in
construction techniques.
Its record in
construction includes:
Road & Airfield Paving
Pipeline
Buildings
Sewage treatment plants
Pumping stations
Cable Laying call us on +2348165027376
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by dapoola(m): 7:23am On Feb 02, 2012
consultans Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel
« #22 on: Today at 03:23:26 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE YOU WISH TO WORK IN QATAR HERE IS YOUR IS THE CHANCE.THE QATAR CONSTRUCTION COMPANY ARE HERE IN NIGERIA IN STARCH OF MANPOWER TO WORK IN THEIR FIRM IN QATAR WITH HIGH PAY ATRACTIVE SALARY. CALL US ON +2348165027376 PRINCIPAL
CONSTRUCTION
ACTIVITIES »
Qatar Building Company
offers expertise and
, market know-how not
only in pure construction
work, but also in
construction techniques.
Its record in
construction includes:
Road & Airfield Paving
Pipeline
Buildings
Sewage treatment plants
Pumping stations
Cable Laying call us on +2348165027376 sad

looking for labourer work here,
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by whirlwind7(m): 11:25am On Feb 02, 2012
victorazy:

Your response just shows how dumb and ignorant you are.
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by rabzy: 11:44am On Feb 02, 2012
“Passers-by also enjoy the music I play. The advantage is that anybody who ordinarily will not want to buy a CD might be attracted by the music and stop to buy. You are very funny. You think this is pollution? Not having money to feed my children when I don’t sell, that is pollution.

^^^^^
I love this guy.

My neighbor ran his Gen all thru the night today and i had a headache when i got up. All these noise is just too much to bear.
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by laoma15(m): 12:22pm On Feb 02, 2012
Appologies to all that took offence from my earlier posting.

This boils down to the samething we have been talking about. If you read my comment carefully, I made mention of Mosques, Churches and even noise from  vehicles and Motorcycles.

I am very passionate about this topic because it is something that we do and make us look like we are not civilised. It simply doesn't make any sense to be noisy. We are too noisy in this part of the World and we really need to put a check to it. I have travelled far and wide and it is not so in other Nations. East Africa is very quite and peole there are easy going. The same goes for Europe and America. Republic of Benin, Togo and Ghana are not as noisy as we are.

It amazes me how some peole are easily carried away and blindfolded when it comes to the issue of Religion.

Havent you heared that Religion is the bigest fraud in the World?

Offcourse Churches do constitute a lot of nuisance during the night vigil sessions before the enactment of the law banning the use of puplic speakers. But there has been a high rate of compliance from churches compared to Mosques. I'm not holding brief for any faith, this was based on my personal observation.

I dont think we can ever move forward in this country with this kind of attitude some of us still maintain. When next you go to your mosque, please tell your Imam to stop disturbing the entire neigbourhood in the name of call to prayers. (this is an outdated practice).

@Christians, please when next you go to Church, tell your Pastors to stop the use of public speakers at night vigils and during odd hour services.

For non-moslems and non-christians, please tell your priests not to make noise when going to the forest and the three-cross paths to make your sacrifices. let us make our Nation a better place.

When next you drive your car or your motorbike do not press your horn uneccessarily.

Also remember to tell the politicians to stop deceiveing us with words such as '' Inshallah" and "by the grace of God". Let your "yes" be yes and let your "No" be No.

Who are those that steals our public fund? They are either Christians or Muslims. They are usually sworn in with either a bible or Quaran.

Your personal relationship with your maker is what matters and not the number of hours you spend making noise in Churches or Mosques.

Put sentiment aside, we need to be wise my felllow country men!!!

1 Like

Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by Olountoyin: 12:23pm On Feb 02, 2012
I am a christian but I know what it means to be a nuisance.
Its just like stealing office working hours to preach and when you get the sack you claim its persecution. No its stupidity and God approves of your sacking.
Why do we blame the spirit for our own foolishness? The same God who commands order and respect? We say yes we must preach in season and out of season but hey, who wants to listen to you when they are hungry or tired and need rest?? There are times Jesus gave people real food not word cz he was in the spirit! And they stuck by him. Nowdays we make more noise and act less.
Actions speak more than words and any christian expecting to win souls must make less noise and act more.

Rational way to look at things, if only a large portion of the society would apply rationality most of  the time
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by COMPAQ(m): 1:05pm On Feb 02, 2012
We should also regulate how churches convert residential property to churches or build churches in clearly residential plots in estates. I find it odd how Pastors and Church leaders, many of whom are educated and are professionals in the build environment (Architechts, Civil engineers, urban planners etc), allow their parishes to be built in clearly residential plots just in the name of advancing the kingdom etc. What is wrong is wrong and what is right is right!!
Check out the nuisance of Deeper Life in Gbagada or MFM in Akoka!!
Re: Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel by kooto(m): 8:26am On Feb 03, 2012
Govt should learn how to communicate their policies and law to the people in an effective way rather than expecting magic from them.

i completely agree with you!

(1) (Reply)

The Power Of Virginity Part 1 / Did Christ Actually Take Away The Sins Of The World? / Are Jehovah Witnesses Chrtistians?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.