Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,698 members, 7,820,433 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

Programming Gurus I Need Ur Advice! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming Gurus I Need Ur Advice! (1279 Views)

I Need Ur Help / Nairaland Tech Gurus I Need Your Help To Ace My Short Interview / Cisco Gurus, I Need Ur Help: please Give Me Answers: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programming Gurus I Need Ur Advice! by Nobody: 9:57pm On Feb 03, 2012
I am an Electrical engineering major, but hope to combine a knowledge of computer science/develop programming skills. I hope to use online resources to teach myself,  has anyone done the same before (used online resources to learn)?Do you think it is possible to become very good using such a means? I want to start with python and know I will definitely need some help when I run into problems. Will I be able to get help from the guys here? please any tips/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. smiley
Re: Programming Gurus I Need Ur Advice! by Beaf: 11:02pm On Feb 03, 2012
ekwah:

I am an Electrical engineering major, but hopes to combine a knowledge of computer science/develop programming skills. I hope to use online resources to teach myself,  has anyone done the same before (used online resources to learn)?Do you think it is possible to become very good using such a means? I want to start with python and know I will definitely need some help when I run into problems. Will I be able to get help from the guys here? please any tips/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. smiley

Yes, there are a thousand and one top developers who didn't learn to code in a formal school. The biggest example is a certain Bill Gates who dropped out of Havard after enrolling with the plan to read law.

Its all in how you control your state of mind. You can do it, bruv.
Re: Programming Gurus I Need Ur Advice! by Nobody: 11:18pm On Feb 03, 2012
^^Thanks bro.
Re: Programming Gurus I Need Ur Advice! by csharpjava(m): 12:10am On Feb 04, 2012
Bill Gates' Early Life
At 13 he enrolled in the Lakeside School, an exclusive preparatory school. When he was in the eighth grade, the Mothers Club at the school used proceeds from Lakeside School's rummage sale to buy a Teletype Model 33 ASR terminal and a block of computer time on a General Electric (GE) computer for the school's students. Gates took an interest in programming the GE system in BASIC, and was excused from math classes to pursue his interest. He wrote his first computer program on this machine: an implementation of tic-tac-toe that allowed users to play games against the computer. Gates was fascinated by the machine and how it would always execute software code perfectly. When he reflected back on that moment, he said, "There was just something neat about the machine. " After the Mothers Club donation was exhausted, he and other students sought time on systems including DEC PDP minicomputers. One of these systems was a PDP-10 belonging to Computer Center Corporation (CCC), which banned four Lakeside students—Gates, Paul Allen, Ric Weiland, and Kent Evans—for the summer after it caught them exploiting bugs in the operating system to obtain free computer time. At the end of the ban, the four students offered to find bugs in CCC's software in exchange for computer time. Rather than use the system via Teletype, Gates went to CCC's offices and studied source code for various programs that ran on the system, including programs in FORTRAN, LISP, and machine language.
Source: Wikipedia.

My advice for you will be to take some programming classes at uni if you can. Unless you only want to write a 'hello world program' then you can teach yourself with online resources.
Re: Programming Gurus I Need Ur Advice! by Nobody: 1:52am On Feb 04, 2012
@csharpjava .
Thanks bro.

(1) (Reply)

I Feel Bored As My Skills In Programing Might Waste! / Please I Need Someone Who Can Create Andriod Apps / PYTHON: Please If You've Used The Python Sqlite3 Module Successfully, Help Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.