Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,589 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice (8960 Views)

What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? / When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by Nobody: 12:06am On Mar 29, 2007
laudate:

Um, strange. The Edo, Yoruba & Itsekiri people as well as some Delta-Igbo clans believe that their daughters are too valuable to be haggled over, like a mere commodity. They believe there is NO amount of money that would do justice to the value they attach to their daughters. So why on earth would they want to put a price tag on her head?

Quite often, they just name a symbolic figure, make a big show of collecting it from the groom's family & then return most of it (or all of it) back to them with the same flourish, after making a long speech about how their daughters are NOT for sale.

Simple!.
If you can't afford the girl,marry some cheaper girls,end of story grin grin grin grin
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by laudate: 2:28pm On Mar 29, 2007
And may those who wish to continue hawking their daughters to the highest bidder in order to line their pockets, have a field day!! wink
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by Nobody: 12:06am On Mar 30, 2007
Iseee
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by laudate: 2:53pm On Mar 30, 2007
babyosisi:

Iseee

Gosh, you are so-oo-oo funny!! grin
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by Nobody: 12:19am On Apr 02, 2007
at least the man will remember how much it cost him and would think twice before calling it quits.
The prices go up and never come down grin grin grin
Next time he may be paying twice as much,this is our built in divorce deterent  grin grin grin
our elders really had forsight cool
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by Nobody: 3:10am On Apr 02, 2007
babyosisi:

at least the man will remember how much it cost him and would think twice before calling it quits.
Next time he may be paying twice as much,this is our built in divorce deterent grin grin grin

No wonders my younger uncles refused to marry Igbo, it must have been something to do with the cost. grin
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by Nobody: 6:26pm On Sep 19, 2007
That few families have decides to be greedy and to commersiallize the "bride price thing", does not make paying a few naira as bride price as a buyover and as a bad culture.

How will a man in his right thinking sense feel he bought a wife with 24 naira? When he cannot even have one round of sex with the cheapest prostitute in Nigeria with that ammount.

My state: Ebonyi, south eastern part of Naija does not tolerate the commersiallization of bride price.

@poster
If you are looking for where to fight for African women, you better head for places like Dafur, somalia etc. cool
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by Ivvie: 5:19pm On Sep 21, 2007
How can you marry a woman without paying the bride price? That's why marriages don't work today. The western culture isn't for everyone. Do not forget that the westerns don't accept us and neglecting your heritage doesn't make you part of them.
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by face2ecaf: 8:47pm On Sep 22, 2007
babyosisi:

Next time he may be paying twice as much,this is our built in divorce deterent grin grin grin
That's why at the slightest provocation or mistake the wife will foever be reminded that "I never finish paying the money wey I take marry you" .
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by LadyGodiva(f): 6:47pm On Sep 27, 2007
why doesn't the woman pay bride price for the man now
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by analyt82(f): 4:15pm On Sep 28, 2007
I'm not married, but I would BAULK at the thought of my intended paying a price for me!! shocked Obviously by this time I know he can take care of me. Marriage is when two people come together as one. To share as "ONE". grin Women are no man's possession. angry I think ppl are getting confused on purpose to keep "tradition". Some traditions need to be let go. If we "woman" want to fight in this world against male dominance and disrespect, then "some" things HAVE to be let go. wink That doesn't make your culture less important than what it is, it just means, you know how to adjust. Out with the old and in with the new. Change is constant.
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by analyt82(f): 4:48pm On Sep 28, 2007
I'm not married, but I would BAULK at the thought of my intended paying a price for me!!  shocked Obviously by this time I know he can take care of me. Marriage is when two people come together as one. To share as "ONE".  grin Women are no man's possession.  angry  I think ppl are getting confused on purpose to keep "tradition". Some traditions need to be let go. If we "woman" want to fight in this world against male dominance and disrespect, then "some" things HAVE to be let go.  wink That doesn't make your culture less important than what it is, it just means, you know how to adjust. Out with the old and in with the new. Change is constant.
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by ekankumo: 6:32pm On Apr 02, 2010
What an abuse,
Contempt,
Discourtesy,
Disrespect,
Mockery,
Offense,
Outrage,
Put-down,
Scorn,
Slap,
Taunt,
Insult to the Noble African Women out there!
@OTOKZ SO WHAT ARE U TRYING TO SAY DAT U WILL NOT PAY THE BRIDE PRICE? WELL MY FUTURE MAKE HOLD UR MONEY OO
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by idifu(m): 8:45am On Apr 14, 2010
bride price is wrong to me, it's similar to prostitution why would you ask the man to pay for ur daughter's Kitty-Cat ? so he could Zap her till death do dem both apart hehehe, i dont support church marriage,mosque marriage and the likes, there is no need for anybody to join you both if you both are genuinely in love with each other you need nobody's permission or order to be united for ever
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by ekankumo: 3:15pm On Apr 14, 2010
hey Mr. what is the meaning of this? what do u mean by this ( prostitution) it is tradition and we must all obey it. well it is left for your future wife and her parents if they will give out their daughter to you without paying her bride pride tongue
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by ChinenyeN(m): 3:25pm On Apr 14, 2010
And threads like these are the result of the misunderstanding and bastardization of culture. . . If only people would actually take the time to get knowledge and understanding.
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by idifu(m): 10:37pm On Apr 14, 2010
i'm talking about facts and not fiction , i dont support church marriage,mosque marriage and the likes, there is no need for anybody to join you both if you both are genuinely in love with each other you need nobody's permission or order to be united for ever
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by idifu(m): 10:38pm On Apr 14, 2010
you guys should base your arguement on fact and not sentiments there are some traditions that are Zap.e.d up and bride price is part of d Poo
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by idifu(m): 10:41pm On Apr 14, 2010
i'm not obeyin Poo what matters most to us is dat we love each other we dont need any body's permission for us to be unified, to be happy, Zap all dat talk about bride price it is nothing but rip off
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by Ndipe(m): 3:33am On Apr 15, 2010
I was against bride price initially, (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-12487.0.html) but now, I am in support of it. As long as it doesnt cost an arm and a leg, because it cements the man's role as the provider and the head of the family. My only complaints about it is when it becomes very expensive. Think of the bride price as an equivalent of a dowry. It's basically an exchange of gifts. Then man pays the bride price along with the traditional requirements for the marriage ceremony. In turn, the brides family fees the visiting guests and 'send off' the bride with household items. Isnt that an exchange of gifts?

What would you say of the western world where it is the norm for men to shower their brides with expensive diamond rings. Those who cant, face the derision of not only the bride but her friends too. Theirs is too materialistic.
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by thefuturemrsaa: 1:34pm On Aug 07, 2014
I personally think bride price is archaic - It's ok to have the traditional ceremony, but demanding money from your future in laws is unnceccessary especially when the potential groom has already forked out on an expensive engagement ring, paid a deposit for the home your daughter will live in and is also paying for the wedding.

How does paying bride price ensure the couple's union will last any longer? The whole concept is archaic and dates back to a time when women were seen as mere chattels. And disagreeing with concept of Bride Price has got nothing to do with choosing western culture over African culture because the British also used to have dowries, but they obviously came to their senses and realised that it was unnecessary in the modern day, Africans need to wake up and realise the same thing.

The whole bride price thing just puts a financial strain on the marriage before it's even started and its mostly fuelled by greedy parents who are trying to get paid - I think it should be outlawed because all that happens is that the bride is put under pressure to keep her parents happy and still have her marriage.

As a bride going through this myself i would say it results in a lot of unnecessary stress and I quite frankly wish i had eloped and had not even told my parents i was getting married - the stress is not worth it.
Re: Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice by davidif: 8:52am On Aug 08, 2014
Which kind thread be this? If you no wan do dowry for your wedding no do. Leave the "sisters" that want to do it alone.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? / Ijebu People - The Most Industrious Beings On Earth. Please Let's Get Together / University Of Nigeria Professor Of Arts Work Sells 11.4M at Ikoyi Auction!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.