Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,751 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

Why Are Nigerian Car Dealers So Greedy?! - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are Nigerian Car Dealers So Greedy?! (13494 Views)

Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. / Capacity Of Nigerian Car Manufacturing Industry Rises By 50% / Nigerian Car-assembled by nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Car Dealers So Greedy?! by Emperoh(m): 2:58pm On Feb 10, 2012
dan_dollar:

Even if they sell their cars at exhobitant prices,how do I even know I am buying a good car and not an accidented or salvage car,if for example,I want to walk into a car lot in lagos to pick a car?
I want to get a car soon,probably frm a car lot in lag,but scared,because I don't want to make the mistake of getting someting that would give me problems or allow my money go down the drain ,being that this would be my first car.how do I go about it?

I tried keeping away from talking on this thread but i just want to give a hand.
The first you will have to answer is; Are u willing to pay the price for a clean, accident history free ride?
Are ready to take the pains to search or at least spend the money to do a proper search?
If you are not ready to search, are u ready to pay someone to do the search for you?

If yes, then you have crossed step one.

Step two is engaging a dealer who knows his worth. A good number of them are here.
They will tell u what is involved not what you want to hear.

But again, a good number of cars in Nigeria have been in a crash before or has odometer roll back.

Hence a better chance of getting what you want is to pre-order. . . .if you are patient for that, then go ahead. A good number of dealers do that here also. Feel free to go with any dealer you trust his service.

As for me, anywhere belle face. . . . .if you want a cheap car, we give the options, u see what you are buying.
If you want quality car, we also show u. . . .the important thing is that client is happy and dealer is also happy doing business and making money.

Need satisfied

OP
A good number of dealers have said what i wanted to say; observers and car buff also.
All i need to tell u is this, if it's too cheap to be true, it is definitely not true. . . . let him who has ear hear
Re: Why Are Nigerian Car Dealers So Greedy?! by kuntash: 5:06pm On Feb 10, 2012
what an uproar!!! grin grin grin grin

so u mean a baseless thread as this just as some persons called it, has 4 pages already? what does that tell you?

A lady has said it all on the first page! CABAL!!!

in my view the poster should have rephrased the topic as " why are SOME Nigerian car dealers so greedy?", however he did not actually refer to Nairaland dealers.

suffice it to add too that some car sellers on nairaland are to quick to attack any poster with similar topics, grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Car Dealers So Greedy?! by Nobody: 5:33am On Feb 11, 2012
For the record, I just got a call from Nigeria where someone asked for 2004 Toyota Highlander. The man was telling me it is sold for 1.4 million naira in Lagos. In a situation like this, what is the best way to respond to this type of people? I already told the man that no way in hell they sell for that price in whole of USA. I think he was trying to say if the car is sold for around 1.4 million naira in Lagos, then, it should be less than that amount if I helped him out buy one from U.S.

I am a professional blaa blaaa with my office in North Carolina. It is just a passion for me buying cars to sell in Nigeria. I am addicted to going to evening auction just to buy cars. I can't do without checking out cars, but I take offence to people unrealistically throwing price of cars around like it is a pack of sugar or piece of meat.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Car Dealers So Greedy?! by blank(f): 5:34pm On Feb 11, 2012
We need National Assembly to clear away the cabal. grin cool

Nobody should get upset. Maybe the OP had a bad experience and it is still paining him.
That being said, some are just plain greedy. angry
Re: Why Are Nigerian Car Dealers So Greedy?! by cmax16: 2:19am On Jan 05, 2013
baby-boy:
I dont know how much a 2006 Peugeot 407 cost in Nigeria but I have a friend who bought a one for £2100 (RHD) we drove it from Newcastle to Tilbury and they shipped for £440 to Nigeria

The agent he used charged him N300,000 and the car was delivered to his door in Ipaja!!! then paid N180000 to change the steering over to LHD,

So we are looking at around N1.2m

Now going by that process, last year I man wanted to sell me a 2000 Peugeot 406 for £1m,

This is a car that I could get in England for around £500 (cheaper if it has failed an MOT or even Cheaper at a car Auction) around £500 to Ship and around £1k to clear,

May be N200k change the steering over!!! to the Left and they are now changing them over to the LHD over here in England.

Brotherly, abeg you fit give me the number of the guy wey convert this 407? i go travel latter this year to niaja, i wan arrange one for my trip.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Car Dealers So Greedy?! by Fhemmmy: 2:40am On Jan 06, 2013
payless: For the record, I just got a call from Nigeria where someone asked for 2004 Toyota Highlander. The man was telling me it is sold for 1.4 million naira in Lagos. In a situation like this, what is the best way to respond to this type of people? I already told the man that no way in hell they sell for that price in whole of USA. I think he was trying to say if the car is sold for around 1.4 million naira in Lagos, then, it should be less than that amount if I helped him out buy one from U.S.

I am a professional blaa blaaa with my office in North Carolina. It is just a passion for me buying cars to sell in Nigeria. I am addicted to going to evening auction just to buy cars. I can't do without checking out cars, but I take offence to people unrealistically throwing price of cars around like it is a pack of sugar or piece of meat.

Frustrating but we still have to remain professional with how we respond to them . . . Lol

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Car Dealers So Greedy?! by cupid4ig(m): 12:02am On Jan 14, 2013
unipol: the clearing is 190 000 and above but still the poster has a point because in neigbouring countries cars are far more cheaper than in nigeria. i friend of mine went to senegal to buy car at rate of 1000 dallars and use another 1000 to bring it to nigeria. what is the problem with nigeria. why should our govt add such huge amount of money in clearing.
because they know naija guys love cars cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Unveils 2017 Mobile Stickers For Motorists / How My Mechanic Tried To Ruin My Car... / 10 Facts About Electric Cars You Might Not Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.