Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,039 members, 7,810,849 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:54 PM

Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop (3567 Views)

Would Rap/ Hip-hop Music Take One To Hell? / When Do You Listen To Christian Songs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by Knight1(m): 9:29pm On Feb 12, 2012
i think the OP and Jesoul might be the only ones who have really listened carefully to Christian Rap/Contemporary in this thread. ANd i think you should watch their videos too and see them praying. Yes, there are those who are just doing business but there are also those whose message is pure and real and deep.
Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by tpia5: 9:56pm On Feb 12, 2012
Dilluminati

good thing you noticed and made your comment.

I had quoted the post before noticing it was frm you. If i'd checked the poster id first i definitely wouldnt have bothered responding. However, after i rechecked the thread, i noticed you were the one who made that post and i debated if i should erase my response or let it be.

I chose the latter, but that in no way means you should feel important or swollen headed.

I dont like you either so kindly go suck a sour lemon if my quoting you annoys you.
Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by Image123(m): 10:11pm On Feb 12, 2012
Rap and hip hop are not spiritual songs, are they?
Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by Chuksxp: 10:14pm On Feb 12, 2012
harakiri:

Yeah right. . .

The "Christian actor" might as well pick up an AK-47 and blast all the "unbelievers" to hell while screaming "blood of Jesus"! ! ! Does that make an atom of sense to you? I think NOT! Your rebuttal was queer,ill thought out and lame.

tongue tongue undecided

So please explain to us the difference between hip hop and movies having a worldly start, and why christian movies are ok but christian hip hop isn't.
Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by Chuksxp: 10:17pm On Feb 12, 2012
Image123:

Rice and chicken are not spiritual food, are they?
Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by Image123(m): 10:46pm On Feb 12, 2012
^So the scripture verse/passage on spiritual song is irrelevant? Or what's rice got to do with it.
Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by Chuksxp: 11:32pm On Feb 12, 2012
My point is, the fact that the verse in Ephesians talk about spiritual songs and psalms doesn't mean rap can't be used to glorify God. There was no rap music back then; that's probably one of the reasons it wasn't mentioned.

In John 4, Jesus talked about the word of God being His spiritual food. Yet it doesn't mean material food like rice and chicken can't be used to glorify God. In fact 1 Corinth 10:31 says, "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

1 Like

Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by Image123(m): 12:18am On Feb 13, 2012
Oh, so you knew the verse? Put your 'analogies' aside, is rap music spiritual?
Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by Chuksxp: 12:24am On Feb 13, 2012
Image123:

Oh, so you knew the verse? Put your 'analogies' aside, is rap music spiritual?

It is spiritual if you do it to the glory of God. All things done to the glory of God are spiritual!
Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by tpia5: 1:28am On Feb 13, 2012
even though i dont listen to christian rap and hiphop so much, if its being used to reach the audience that is into these genres, then God is in control.

however, i'd still draw the line at semi-n.aked dancers since licentiousness does not work the grace of God although of course others may feel free to disagree.
Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by cfours: 1:30am On Feb 13, 2012
I don't even listen to rap and hip hop so, NO.
but I don't have any problem with those who do.
Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by Chuksxp: 10:41am On Feb 13, 2012
tpia@:

even though i dont listen to christian rap and hiphop so much, if its being used to reach the audience that is into these genres, then God is in control.

however, i'd still draw the line at semi-n.aked dancers since licentiousness does not work the grace of God although of course others may feel free to disagree.

I agree! Most christian rap songs don't showcase semi-naked dancers, but I'm there're probably some that do. Modesty should be the watchword.
Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by Wordsmith(m): 2:59pm On Feb 13, 2012
Let's be honest. 98% on this thread have not listened to Christian Hiphop, talk less of their lyrics and are just basing their opinions on their preference of genre/misconception about a genre. I challenge any of you castigating Christian Hiphop to listen to Braille's Weapon Aide or Native Lungs, Sho Baraka's Lions & Liars, Trip Lee's Between Two Worlds and then come back with the same prejudice-laced opinions.

To answer your question Chxsp, yes i do, duzz Christian Hiphop. My favorites being Braille, manCHILD from MarsILL, Da' TRUTH, Ambassador, Trip Lee. And while i enjoyed LaCrae's Rebel, i felt Rehab was rushed. . .

1 Like

Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by JeSoul(f): 6:00pm On Feb 13, 2012
Knight1:

i think the OP and Jesoul might be the only ones who have really listened carefully to Christian Rap/Contemporary in this thread. ANd i think you should watch their videos too and see them praying. Yes, there are those who are just doing business but there are also those whose message is pure and real and deep.
Wordsmith:

Let's be honest. 98% on this thread have not listened to Christian Hiphop, talk less of their lyrics and are just basing their opinions on their preference of genre/misconception about a genre. I challenge any of you castigating Christian Hiphop to listen to Braille's Weapon Aide or Native Lungs, Sho Baraka's Lions & Liars, Trip Lee's Between Two Worlds and then come back with the same prejudice-laced opinions.
You've both hit it right on the head. I am 10000% sure these guys have not personally taken the time to find out for themselves besides what they heard. I honestly think that Holyhiphop does the BEST job of all the genres of teaching through its lyrics. These artists are fantastic storytellers, able to break down biblical concepts into bite-sized nuggets thru the music. And they are able to reach an audience that the likes of Hillsong can never reach.
Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by JeSoul(f): 6:16pm On Feb 13, 2012
Image123:

Chuksxp:

Rice and chicken are not spiritual food, are they?
grin perfect answer. Have you seen the "Is Eating Amala Biblical" Thread? https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-550146.0.html I'm sure you'll like it.

I usually examine/check out the opposition and criticisms against all kinds of urban music. I listened to a sermon once on sermonaudio.com where the pastor was actually trying to argue that only slow, solemn songs, sang with a calm, quiet and steady voice are what should be "spiritual songs". Its perfectly fine for one not to like Hiphop or any other genre of music - just don't declare your dislike to be law and to be God Himself's position. That is extremely dangerous. To place your opinion on a pedestal - and then demand that that opinion be rule for the entire body of Christ . . . a scary thing to do.
Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by Wordsmith(m): 9:48pm On Feb 13, 2012
^ more like dogma. . .
Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by adebayo201: 3:12pm On Feb 14, 2012
Wordsmith:

^ more like dogma. . .
tongue tongue cool shocked sad angry grin grin grin
Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by Nobody: 6:08pm On Feb 14, 2012
and hey they go up to the grammys and win awards. damn hypocrites. what happened to 'depart from worldliness'.
Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by tomzman: 6:53pm On Feb 14, 2012
I agree with chuks, tpia and a few others on this thread.
Personally, I listen to any kind of song as long as the lyrics glorify God.Though I agree that some 'gospel' rap artistes infuse some worldly things into their songs but that doesn't make all rap songs bad.Not all pastors preach things that glorify God.Those against rap music, let me ask you all a question:As a christian, is it every church that you can step your foot into?. The major reason you may never step into a church is because you don't like some of their doctrines.Even the church you attend, there would still be something they do that you may not really be comfortable with.That doesn't make it less a church. It's all about personal opinion. If you think rap is bad, don't listen to it but don't condemn it on that basis. As for me, I like Lecrae's songs especially 'Don't waste your life' and 'Praying for you'.I also need more rap songs with godly messages. 8-)
Re: Do You Guys Listen To Christian Rap & Hip Hop by adebayo201: 9:57am On Feb 18, 2012
tomzman:

I agree with chuks, tpia and a few others on this thread.
Personally, I listen to any kind of song as long as the lyrics glorify God.Though I agree that some 'gospel' rap artistes infuse some worldly things into their songs but that doesn't make all rap songs bad.Not all pastors preach things that glorify God.Those against rap music, let me ask you all a question:As a christian, is it every church that you can step your foot into?. The major reason you may never step into a church is because you don't like some of their doctrines.Even the church you attend, there would still be something they do that you may not really be comfortable with.That doesn't make it less a church. It's all about personal opinion. If you think rap is bad, don't listen to it but don't condemn it on that basis. As for me, [center]I like Lecrae's songs especially[/center] 'Don't waste your life' and 'Praying for you'.I also need more rap songs with godly messages. 8-)
guy, just like me. i love Caton Jones music too.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Short Story / . How Sapele Popular Prophet Allegedly Burnt Human Head On Alter During Service. / The Gospel Of John - A Study

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.