Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,539 members, 7,823,363 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:08 AM

Siena Look! Volkswagen Passat Glx V8 Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Siena Look! Volkswagen Passat Glx V8 Engine (4333 Views)

Infiniti FX45 2003 V8 Engine / Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? / Siena's Project B6 Audi A4 Quattro - First Pictures. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Siena Look! Volkswagen Passat Glx V8 Engine by Nobody: 6:39am On Feb 09, 2012
I was so surprised when I was taken to go check-out a 2003 Volkswagen Passat GLX with V8 Engine. Check the picture below:

Re: Siena Look! Volkswagen Passat Glx V8 Engine by Nobody: 6:41am On Feb 09, 2012
What so you think about this V8 engine? What do you think about the fuel consumption? I intend to buy this car and send it to Nigeria.
Re: Siena Look! Volkswagen Passat Glx V8 Engine by Trac: 10:43am On Feb 09, 2012
payless:

I was so surprised when I was taken to go check-out a 2003 Volkswagen Passat GLX with V8 Engine. Check the picture below:

payless:

What so you think about this V8 engine? What do you think about the fuel consumption? I intend to buy this car and send it to Nigeria.

It's a W8 and not a V8. Different rocking coupling; fundamentally different in design, manufacturing (space and cost) and reciprocation! This is the first I have seen without the 4motion (maybe it's debadged). Had a neighbour (a girl) that had this a few years ago. What caught my attention was the W8, 4motion and the quad-exhaust.

Your question on fuel consumption is ambiguous. If you are referring to the economy of cars of its size/class, you wouldn't getting that. However, you won't be getting what American cars yield. It's a limited production and I want to believe the engine is set-up for at least some measure of performance. If I am not wrong, it is very rare.
Re: Siena Look! Volkswagen Passat Glx V8 Engine by bukkytroni: 11:09am On Feb 09, 2012
Saw this review online,

The Passat W8 starts with the well-received Passat sedan or wagon chassis, and replaces the GLX 4Motion trim level's 2.8-liter V6 with a unique 4.0-liter eight-cylinder engine. Exterior and interior changes are minimal. This, after all, is not a car for the ostentatious, and the Passat GLX is hardly underequipped. The W8's heart and soul is its engine, which, basically, combines two VR4 engines on a common block for an ultracompact 270- horsepower powerplant.

SAFETY: Every 2002 VW Passat has four-wheel antilock disc brakes, a rigid body structure with front and rear crumple zones, front, front side, and front curtain air bags, and three-point safety belts for all occupants.

ROADABILITY: In standard trim, the W8 Passat strikes a good balance between sport and luxury. Its fully-independent four-link front, double wishbone rear suspension is tuned softly, with plenty of travel for comfort on all types of road. But excellent damping control and 4Motion all-wheel drive traction mean good handling and cornering ability, and plenty of fun. This is a Volkswagen German luxury car, after all, and the company that invented the GTI isn't going to make a stodgy, boring luxury car.

PERFORMANCE: Recipe for compact power: take two 2.0-liter, 15-degree vee angle VR4 engines and mount them on a common block at 72 degrees to each other. Use a crankshaft that essentially makes the resulting four-bank engine into a flat-plane crank V8 for good breathing ability, to maximize power and economy and minimize emissions. Add twin counter-rotating balance shafts for smoothness. Match it to a five-speed Tiptronic ® automatic transmission, and deliver the resultant 270 horsepower and 273 lb- ft of torque to all four wheels via VW's ``4Motion'' all-wheel drive system. The W8 has a linear power delivery, with a healthy little surge toward the top, and makes a pleasing sound unlike any other engine built. A wide torque curve helps the transmission shift easily, with manual mode never really necessary except for performance driving. VW stealth sports enthusiasts take note - a six-speed manual gearbox will be available in the 2003 model year.
Re: Siena Look! Volkswagen Passat Glx V8 Engine by Nobody: 2:29pm On Feb 09, 2012
Very powerful indeed.
Re: Siena Look! Volkswagen Passat Glx V8 Engine by Nobody: 1:12am On Feb 11, 2012
The Volkswagen Passat 4,0 W8 was not the most successful powerplant from the Volkswagen Group. It was complex, over-engineered, and under-powered for its capacity. 275 bhp was on the low side. The only reason the VW Passat 4,0 W8 was built, was as a test bed, for the predicted W12 that was fitted to the Audi A8 D2 and VW Phaeton.

The main purpose of a W8, as opposed to a traditional V8 was space. The W8 is shorter than a V8, and no wider. The torque converter was a weak point, and hydraulic lifters were prone to failure. As an engineering exercises? It was a fantastic piece of engineering. In the reliability stakes? Not great. Production of the W8 spanned only four years, very short for the amount of R&grin that went into it. The only saving grace was that it spawned the excellent 6,0 W12, and 8,0 W16. So in terms of financial outlay, the W8 wasn't such a disaster after all.

Not an engine I'd recommend for Nigeria, where the average mechanic goes pale at the sight of a 3,0 V6 in a 1998 Toyota Camry.
Re: Siena Look! Volkswagen Passat Glx V8 Engine by Nobody: 2:55am On Feb 11, 2012
Your input is second to none. I was hoping to buy this car on monday, but your knowledge about VW was the reason I posted this on nairaland. Now I know better that I just have to leave the W8 alone and put my money on something else. I have been a stunch supporter of Japanese vehicles, but reading from your analysis of VWs and Audi vehicles has propelled me to really look into buying German cars and ship to Nigeria. I currently have few on the way to lagos. These German cars are sturdy and elegantly designed. Especially, when they are designed with leather and wood interior.

I am just so much into German cars these days. The likes of Toyota Camry(s) and the Honda(s) have flooded the Nigerian car dealership shops and markets for too long. That monopolistic idea of Japanese cars only must be broken. This is the reason why I have decided to give people something different when it comes to vehicles. May be when people in Nigeria starts seeing something different, that could enable them to look more into what German cars are all about.

(1) (Reply)

Es 350 Gear Oil / Tire Inflation Discussion - What's Appropriate And What Is Not / 1.5million What Kind Of Car Can I Get For This Amount

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.