Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,304 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:33 AM

Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing (13187 Views)

Microsoft Announces Windows 10 And Holographic Computing / Is Cloud Computing Possible Offline? / Cloud Computing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by yang(m): 9:33am On Mar 02, 2012
Bia dis moderator

Why u change s.hit wey I write to shit

I go flog u o. . . Take time o
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by likeme(m): 4:43pm On Mar 05, 2012
Cloud computing conference in Lagos.

Register to attend.

http://cloudcamp.org/lagos/17
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by MyJwell: 6:58pm On Mar 06, 2012
hello house,

pls i need help configuring a TP-LINK router with starcomms izap modem for internet.

I access the routers quick setup page using PPPoE and inserted my username and pass gotten from starcomms but it refused to connect. I noticed that the page only have provision for LAN, WAN and WIRELESS but I expected it should also have for USB modems but it is missing. could this be the reason it failed to connect?
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by Skywalker5(m): 4:41pm On Mar 14, 2012
Just heard from a friend that some companies use Citrix in Nigeria. I am just curious to know how remote users get access to Citrix knowing the issue of bandwidth in Nigeria.
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by likeme(m): 9:06am On Jun 28, 2012
It is a matter of time, Companies in Nigeria will soon see the beauty of Virtualization, Cloud Computing Desktop as a service (DaaS) and Software as a service(SaaS)
I have to aggree that there is no authority enforcing the use of Licenses which make a lot of Nigeria Company go away with the associated Cost of licenses and the cost of running multiple infrastructure when the same set of platform can be shared securely among several users.

E.g Almost all the Telco got individual Mast, whereas a single mast could be shared by 3/4 operators which reduces the cost of maintenance. The same thing is applicable to Infrastructure. The Hardware are being designed in such a robust manner that they can do much more than it's require of them, So why can't it be optimised and shared across many users.

Time will tell.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by Skywalker5(m): 10:03am On Aug 27, 2012
Hey guys
No one is talking here at all. Is Nigeria filled with Cisco Experts only?
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by likeme(m): 12:15pm On Sep 17, 2012
^^^^
With all the the Cisco experts in Nigeria, the state of the network infrastructure is appauling.
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by redhatnaija: 1:01pm On Sep 17, 2012
Did you know.....

that the OFFICIAL REDHAT Training Programme is now available in Nigeria at discount rates.
You will be having an

OFFICIAL - RedHat Certified Instructor from India.

OFFICIAL - RedHat Courseware.

OFFICIAL - RedHat Examiner

INFRASTRUCTURE- World class

COST- Most Affordable in the Industry

For enquires call 07044265826
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by likeme(m): 11:40am On Nov 02, 2012
^^^^
What has Red Hat got to do with Cloud Computing
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by Skywalker5(m): 12:05pm On Jan 01, 2013
Are there any server administrators in Naija here? Which cloud services is being used in IT industry in Naija? Anyone using server 2012 in thier organization yet or planning to deploy soon?
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by brightk(m): 4:12pm On Jan 01, 2013
these technologies are very nice 2 implement. but the present network infrastructure in 9ja wont pave way for it.. except sanity is deployed to the IT sector.. imagine isps /telecom companies and thier bandwidth policies..fear nor go fit let me do video/voice calling or even streaming radio stations..

1 Like

Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by likeme(m): 10:45am On Jun 14, 2013
Is there any office using office 365 or AWS in Nigeria. This is a wonderful cloud service.
A very good example of SaaS: Software as a service.
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by Skywalker5(m): 10:51am On Jun 14, 2013
likeme: Is there any office using office 365 or AWS in Nigeria. This is a wonderful cloud service.
A very good example of SaaS: Software as a service.

Not sure if any office in Nigeria will be interested in office 365. I might be wrong though but with slow internet access in Nigeria, that will put most companies off.

also read somewhere here on nairaland i think that Most companies in Nigeria are scared to go to cloud due to security issues
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by likeme(m): 11:48am On Jun 14, 2013
I dont know what they are worried about.
If the MD of a company can have a personal yahoo/gmail account, and can "trust" them, then why cant they use office 365.
A lot of Nigeria company host their website outside Nigeria and believe its more stable and secure , so why can@t they put their application or virtual desktop in a cloud.

A lot of company in Nigeria uses Rackspace as a Backup solution center, they can just go further and embrace Platform as a service or may be companies like DiDAtA can start cloud services with Fiber optics supplied by Glo or MTN.

Its also surprising that there is no or limited company offering Telephone conferencing in Nigeria.
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by Skywalker5(m): 12:17pm On Jun 14, 2013
i personally dont think most companies in Nigeria are not ready for cloud services.I think most companies dont have a budget for IT. I was in Nigeria a few months ago and my cousin helped me in setting up a meeting with an insurance company in Nigeria. their server has been down for 3 months and the IT manger was calm speaking to me. i told him how do they survive and he say "paper and biro" . They had hosted email sha with gmail so that was how they kept in contact with their clients and they had internet which was really slow as i was there watching a staff swearing at the computer as her e-mail was opening.they had a funny way of accesing thier data which to me was a security flaw and it has been like that. i dont see the benefits of office 365 for those type of people as i saw that they are used to managing stuffs. i know i cant generalize with that but i went to a few other places and it was almost the same. Slow internet. A company in Nigeria still using windows server 2000. grin. i knew they were not the people i could pitch cloud services to.
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by likeme(m): 12:49pm On Jun 14, 2013
I quite agree with what you saw in Nigeria.

Looking at it from a different perspective, This small companies has a lot to gain from shared services/Platform than having dedicated and underutilized resources.

What in d first instance is a small insurance company doing with a massive server, when they can share that server with other 5 small insurance firm and ensure high availability always as well as having more to spend on quality network access.

Let them share server, share license cost, share DB infrastructure, secured everything to total lockdown and have Big savings that could go into something else.

Sky-walker: please let me have your mail address or phone number, he be like say we get like minds.
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by Skywalker5(m): 2:37pm On Jun 14, 2013
likeme:

Sky-walker: please let me have your mail address or phone number, he be like say we get like minds.

sent you a message. are you into IT? where are you based in the Uk?
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by routik(m): 3:16pm On Jun 16, 2013
@ Topic
as a small business owner, i use small Mikrotik Router. i love Mikrotik and i have their entry level certification. the truth is that i don't have any flair /passion for Cisco because their products are expensive.
Mikrotik is cost effective and very efficient.

@Sky-walker
can you recommend any cost effective Cloud Computing Firm (kind of open source)?
i'll also like to know you better
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by samir101ng(m): 9:47am On Jun 17, 2013
Hello, smiley smiley

interesting thread. Let me try to help in clearing some issues as regards the problems faced by users here in Nigeria. Am not an I.T guy so please bear with me. The major problem facing users in Nigeria is the lack of constant affordable internet. Bandwidth is a major limiting factor in the deployment of cloud services and server visualization infrastructure. Power is the next major issue. Imagine running a data center 24x7 on generators. The cost implications are enough to drive the prices of any services you may wish to offer. That's the reason why many major corporate companies host their sites and servers offshore. To make matters worse we are saddle with blood sucking mobile operators that are hell bent on extracting maximum cost from their users. The lack of competition coupled with a weak regulator has compounded matters. The opportunities here mentioned are good ideas, but implementing them and making a profit is gonna be tough.
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by Skywalker5(m): 11:49am On Jun 17, 2013
routik: @ Topic

@Sky-walker
can you recommend any cost effective Cloud Computing Firm (kind of open source)?

Depends on what you are after. if you thinking of building your own cloud, you can use this website which will give you all the tools you need . www.owncloud.org . Not a bad idea for anyone in IT who wants to implement cloud storage.

If you looking for companies that provides this services,I am sure you know Microsoft sky drive and dropbox. you can also you that as online backup, symantec has a good one symantec.cloud which contains online backup and end point protection.there are loads. if you want to go into Office365 for emails and sharepoint. It really depends on what cloud services you are after.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by Skywalker5(m): 11:52am On Jun 17, 2013
samir101ng: Hello, smiley smiley

interesting thread. Let me try to help in clearing some issues as regards the problems faced by users here in Nigeria. Am not an I.T guy so please bear with me. The major problem facing users in Nigeria is the lack of constant affordable internet. Bandwidth is a major limiting factor in the deployment of cloud services and server visualization infrastructure. Power is the next major issue. Imagine running a data center 24x7 on generators. The cost implications are enough to drive the prices of any services you may wish to offer. That's the reason why many major corporate companies host their sites and servers offshore. To make matters worse we are saddle with blood sucking mobile operators that are hell bent on extracting maximum cost from their users. The lack of competition coupled with a weak regulator has compounded matters. The opportunities here mentioned are good ideas, but implementing them and making a profit is gonna be tough.

You are right. i believe Nigeria will be a good place for IT or any business once the issue of electricity is resolved. To me.that is the basic fundamental issue. if that can be resolved, technology will improve a lot in Nigeria
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by brightk(m): 3:03pm On Jun 17, 2013
routik: @ Topic
as a small business owner, i use small Mikrotik Router. i love Mikrotik and i have their entry level certification. the truth is that i don't have any flair /passion for Cisco because their products are expensive.
Mikrotik is cost effective and very efficient.

@Sky-walker

i love mikrotik but cisco is more popular...wat do u ve 2 say abt this?cos i want to settle for one of dem fully..
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by samir101ng(m): 3:59pm On Jun 17, 2013
brightk:

i love mikrotik but cisco is more popular...wat do u ve 2 say abt this?cos i want to settle for one of dem fully..

@brightk,

I also love Mikrotik. I also passed the MTCNA exams and attended the Mikrotik Router OS trainings. The Mikrotik Router OS is a very good router for SOHO, SME's etc that can handle all their networking tasks without breaking the bank. Not everyone can afford a Cisco Router. Mikrotik is also a very good wireless hotspot manager especially for cafes, campuses, neighborhood hotspots etc. Unless you intend to work in the corporate environment, Cisco might not necessarily be all that important for you compared to the Mikrotik Router OS. However, all knowledge is not wasteful. If you can afford the CCNA certification go for it.
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by routik(m): 5:50pm On Jun 17, 2013
@Sky-walker
Thanks for your information, i'll check them out. For me, i want to run my IT firm like Coca Cola. coke is not for the rich alone. everyone can afford a bottle of coke. And Coke is not competing with Star, Gulder, Harp, and expensive wines out there.
my target is consumers (end users).
what do you guys think?
brightk:

I advised my self on this same issue some years back. since i am running my small biz myself, and don't have access to Cisco devices, Mikrotik is doing the job for me (perfectly). i can afford their SOHO routers or better still install the OS on a desktop, then buy the license to activate it.
When i grow up in my career, and there is need for me to get my hands dirty with Cisco router, i'll then look for one to learn with. For now, Mikrotik rocks for me.
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by Skywalker5(m): 9:19pm On Jun 17, 2013
routik: @Sky-walker
Thanks for your information, i'll check them out. For me, i want to run my IT firm like Coca Cola. coke is not for the rich alone. everyone can afford a bottle of coke. And Coke is not competing with Star, Gulder, Harp, and expensive wines out there.
my target is consumers (end users).
what do you guys think?

no bad though having your own firm.i was thinking about that when i came to Naija but electricity and slow internet is my own major issue especially when it comes to cloud services in naija.also i am not sure if Naija companies do outsource their IT dept as most companies does even rely on electronic data in Nigeria. Its just my own thought.i could be wrong though
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by samir101ng(m): 8:51am On Jun 18, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/408502/datacenter-nigeria-lagos

Here's a link to an earlier thread on Data Centers which we had talked about extensively. Should provide more insights.
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by routik(m): 3:08pm On Jun 18, 2013
Sky-walker:

no bad though having your own firm.i was thinking about that when i came to Naija but electricity and slow internet is my own major issue especially when it comes to cloud services in naija.

Here in Abuja, I don't have Electricity problem in my office. I can boast of 70% to 90% of power on daily basis, sometimes 100%. To make you understand better, I use N1000 in a week and sometimes it last for two weeks. If i can afford to get an Inverter with two batteries that can power my server,router, and AP for 24/48 hours, then I can boast of 24/7 power supply.
let me give you guys one secret: as an IT person try an get an office inside an average hotel. no matter how small the space is. in my own case, the hotel put on their generator from 6PM to 7AM daily. that's if there is no PHCN.

also i am not sure if Naija companies do outsource their IT dept as most companies does even rely on electronic data in Nigeria. Its just my own thought.i could be wrong though

that is why i'm seriously looking for consumer tailored products/services first. If i succeed in that,it will be easier to get corporate clients.

think about it.
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by Skywalker5(m): 3:14pm On Jun 18, 2013
routik:

Here in Abuja, I don't have Electricity problem in my office. i can boast of 70% to 90% of power on daily basis, sometimes 100%. to make you understand better, i use N1000 in a week and sometimes it last for two weeks. If i can afford to get an Inverter with two batteries that can power my server,router, and AP for 24/48 hours, then i can boast of 24/7 power supply.
let me give you guys one secret: as an IT person try an get an office inside an average hotel. no matter how small the space is. in my own case, the hotel put on their generator from 6PM to 7AM daily. that's if there is no PHCN.

datacenters needs to be 100% online. if your clients cant access data while you are offline,you are ruining business for them. Having inverter is not bad. That link samir kept in hos post is very good and has lots of information.

using an Hotels' generator is bad for business.what if the generator spoil? do you know how much you will be paying for Hotel bills? If you going to do this and have many clients, you will still need to be validated. Clients will want to see where you are storing their data.
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by routik(m): 3:37pm On Jun 18, 2013
using an Hotels' generator is bad for business.what if the generator spoil? do you know how much you will be paying for Hotel bills? If you going to do this and have many clients, you will still need to be validated. Clients will want to see where you are storing their data.
Some hotels have office space for annual rent, if you're getting 70%-90% power from PHCN, the hotel have their own personal Generator, you have a backup inverter and your own personal generator, what else do you need to convince a Nigerian client that you have 99.9% power supply?

I am assuming you'll start small and be thinking big.
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by Skywalker5(m): 3:38pm On Jun 18, 2013
routik:
Some hotels have office space for annual rent, if you're getting 70%-90% power from PHCN, the hotel have their own personal Generator, you have a backup inverter and your own personal generator, what else do you need to convince a Nigerian client that you have 99.9% power supply?

security is another issue

will you tell clients that their data is stored in an hotel? grin grin

I am just thinking of the issues that could surround it. it does not mean i am right
Re: Thread For Infrastructure, Networks, Virtualisation And Cloud Computing by routik(m): 3:48pm On Jun 18, 2013
Sky-walker:

security is another issue

will you tell clients that their data is stored in an hotel? grin grin

I am just thinking of the issues that could surround it. it does not mean i am right

An average hotel in Abuja have good security more than some shopping malls in Nigeria. Especially in this era of BH.
I may not be right as well, I am just talking from the perspective of an entrepreneur who is operating in a survival mode.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Norton Buys Avast For Over $8 Billion / How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 / Let's buy your UK Used and Nigeria Used Laptops ( Terms and Conditions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.