Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,313 members, 7,811,928 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

Why Are Nigerians So Insanely Fixated On Adding Titles To Their Name? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Nigerians So Insanely Fixated On Adding Titles To Their Name? (1275 Views)

Why Are Nigerians So Funny? / Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? / Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians So Insanely Fixated On Adding Titles To Their Name? by Princek12(m): 9:54pm On Feb 13, 2012
Why do Nigerians feel compelled to always add a prefix before their name or a suffix after their name? Do Nigerians intrinsically suffer from some kind of inferiority complex? Granted, professionals like medical doctors are traditionally called doctors.

But in Nigeria, everybody is some kind of doctor, either a medical doctor, a doctor of philosophy, or a traditional doctor. Even those who have not seen the entrance of a higher institution and who have contributed nothing to society pay for honorary doctorate degrees.

Those who do not pay for (or cannot afford to pay for) honorary doctorate degrees generally, at their choosing, add a title to their name.

Examples of Prefixes that are commonly used in Nigeria:

Doctor
Lawyer
Otunba
Aare
Chief
Asiwaju
Engineer
Honorable
Ambassador
Senator
Governor
President
Commissioner
Pastor
Reverend
Bishop
Evangelist

Sadly, but true, many of these prefixes are inappropriate within the context they are used. For example, I attended a function in Ibadan where Governor Ajimobi of Oyo State was introduced as "Senator Ajimobi." I asked a lady why he was introduced as senator and she said, "that is the way things are done here in Nigeria."

Sadly, but true again, two or more of these prefixes are used together within the same context. For example, in one revival, a supposed "man of God" was introduced as Reverend Bishop Pastor John Doe; or you may hear someone introduced as Chief Doctor John Doe. Na waa oooo.

Sadly, but true again, two or more prefixes are used in combination with two or more suffixes. For example, on one business card of "a man of God" his name appeared like this: Dr. John Doe, BS, Ph.D, D.D, PS.D. I lost my doggone mind. Another suffix that is used is SAN.

Nigerian society is rife with these ostentatious display of titles and achievement, and it is annoying. I hope the upcoming generation adopts a modest way of introducing themselves.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Insanely Fixated On Adding Titles To Their Name? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:04pm On Feb 13, 2012
I dont know of anyone who isnt a doctor/dentist or who doenst have a PHD that uses the doctor title. same with lawyer

The rest are mostly traditional and i dont see why you have an issue with them.

Perhaps you'd like to ask The Queen why she still knights people with "sir and dame". In other words it's not just a Naija thing.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Insanely Fixated On Adding Titles To Their Name? by tpia5: 4:22am On Feb 14, 2012
Its the culture.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Insanely Fixated On Adding Titles To Their Name? by Observer1: 7:02pm On Feb 15, 2012
I guess it's low self esteem.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Insanely Fixated On Adding Titles To Their Name? by Booshman(m): 4:40am On Mar 02, 2012
Actually, that's not exclusive to Nigerians. Americans are the exact same way. We always see it as a sign of respect (or arrogance to those who are doing the addressing) to take notice of the professional accomplishments of others.

(1) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Welcomes New Wife, Olori Wuruola Zaynab Otiti To The Ife Palace(pics / Would You Allow These Hands To Be Layed On Your Head / Happy Dussehra Whatsapp Videos Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.