Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,668 members, 7,955,427 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:14 AM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (1049) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (9161065 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1046) (1047) (1048) (1049) (1050) (1051) (1052) ... (14378) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 10:47pm On Sep 23, 2014
elampiro:
2012-2014 (2 seasons), Rooney 29 total goals and 8 from ouside the box.

last season was an anomaly - rooney had no one to share in the freekick duties. giggs played less games than ever. nani/young were perpetually injured & RVP was injured for most parts.

2009-2011 (3 seasons) Rooney scored about 66 goals, and Coogar believes he didn't score 7 of them from outside the box, even though he cannot prove whoscored wrong.

you are the one with no evidence. i have been able to provide evidence of the breakdown of all the goals scored outside the box from 08/09.

* In few days time, we shall revisit your stance on Rooney playmaker role in 2011/12 season. Based on your report.

that argument is dead & buried. the author of that article was talking about rooney operating behind hernandez to win the title in the second half of 2010/11 season & reaching the wembley final against barca.

* RVP scored more from close range (within the six box) than Rooney in 2011/12. Rooney more from wihdrawn position. I will fetch that report too. That is what I said since yesterday that from close range.

so because RVP scored more from close range means rooney was from a withdrawn position? whose fault is it that rooney isn't disciplined positionally? RVP was a lone striker that year, rooney had a strike partner - the creativity was from the flanks(nani + young + valencia)

so what was rooney doing from deep? how many assists did rooney make that season if he was operating from deep? cheesy grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Odunharry(m): 11:10pm On Sep 23, 2014
United’s Leadership Question & Why It Needs an Urgent Answer
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Odunharry(m): 11:11pm On Sep 23, 2014
United’s Leadership Question & Why It Needs an Urgent Answer

www.redmancunian.com/2014/09/23/uniteds-leadership-question-needs-urgent-answer/

"This United side is short on leaders
and that, for me, is more significant
than a shortage of quality defenders.
The fact that Rooney has been given
the club captaincy illustrates it. Were
there a Bruce, a Keane, a Vidic or even a Gary Neville in the side, he’d never
have got a sniff of the role. I’m not
among those Reds who have criticised
his performance on Sunday – first half,
I actually thought he was very good in
behind the front two – but his reaction to his side’s quick demise showed a
lack of true leadership. Bruce, you
suspect, would have placed a fatherly
arm around some while telling others
in no uncertain terms to sort
themselves out. Keane would have been snarling and snapping and
getting hold of the odd collar, but he’d have been doing that from half an hour before the game. Rooney’s
shouting and gesticulating just
demonstrated to his younger team mates that he’d lost control of things
just as much as they had."
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:52pm On Sep 23, 2014
coogar:

last season was an anomaly - rooney had no one to share in the freekick duties. giggs played less games than ever. nani/young were perpetually injured & RVP was injured for most parts.

you are the one with no evidence. i have been able to provide evidence of the breakdown of all the goals scored outside the box from 08/09.

that argument is dead & buried. the author of that article was talking about rooney operating behind hernandez to win the title in the second half of 2010/11 season & reaching the wembley final against barca.

so because RVP scored more from close range means rooney was from a withdrawn position? whose fault is it that rooney isn't disciplined positionally? RVP was a lone striker that year, rooney had a strike partner - the creativity was from the flanks(nani + young + valencia)

so what was rooney doing from deep? how many assists did rooney make that season if he was operating from deep? cheesy grin

The below is from another website, not woscored:

Over the last 3 seasons, no player has scored more Premier League goals from outside the box than Wayne Rooney (13).

It looks like Rooney's 5 goals outside the box in 2011/12 were all in the EPL. I will work on this tomorrow,at least.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 11:54pm On Sep 23, 2014
elampiro:
The below is from another website, not woscored:

Over the last 3 seasons, no player has scored more Premier League goals from outside the box than Wayne Rooney (13).

It looks like Rooney's 5 goals outside the box in 2011/12 were all in the EPL. I will work on this tomorrow,at least.

it was the same tweet released at different times this year.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:57pm On Sep 23, 2014
Lol

Odunharry,n your article accepted that Rooney played the number 10 well.

* Did I not say the negative comments were out of hatred? Did we not see the match? Now this man is talking about leadership. How many leaders are left in the team? How long has Rooney been a leader? What is the reason for a learning curve?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 12:03am On Sep 24, 2014
elampiro: Lol
Odunharry,n your article accepted that Rooney played the number 10 well.

not entirely....
he said he was good in the first half. 45 mins isn't 90 mins.

* Did I not say the negative comments were out of hatred? Did we not see the match? Now this man is talking about leadership. How many leaders are left in the team? How long has Rooney been a leader? What is the reason for a learning curve?

they weren't out of hatred - if you cannot admit rooney was shyte in the second half when we needed him the most, then you shouldn't be taken serious on this forum at all.

can 5 different articles be against rooney all of a sudden? everything they have written, i pointed out immediately after the game and you accused me of witch-hunting.

lo & behold, different articles started coming out reiterating exactly what i said on sunday. rooney was shyte on sunday especially in the second half.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by codedguy1(m): 12:15am On Sep 24, 2014
Na wa for this argument oooo
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by adebayo201: 12:22am On Sep 24, 2014
lipsrsealed
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by mcfarlin(m): 12:38am On Sep 24, 2014
Mehn ronaldo is just fantastic 7 goals in 2 games??

I pray we play well enough this season,finish well so we might attract him next summer hopefully....
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ChristineC: 12:38am On Sep 24, 2014
The problems at the back is not just about quality players, but not having enough time to develop understanding. If I am the coach, the next time Smalling or Jones injures themselves unnecessarily after just returning from injury, I will sell them both. A defender that cannot play five consecutive matches with his partner to form a unified base is not needed. The same too for Evans, I don't even like his football.
We will make it guys. Like Falcao's damsel tweeted, "loss of a fight doesn't mean you'll lose the war."
Our defenders should scare strikers, toughen up and play together for sometime like Kompany and Mangala, that is my stand.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 1:16am On Sep 24, 2014
coogar:

it was the same tweet released at different times this year.

* Rooney scored 5 from outside the box. Pls read the last paragraph.

Taarabt's 2011/12 season was very much a settling-in period for him in the top flight, and he has already matched his goalscoring tally from last term this time around. He started 24 league games last season and only managed two goals, while he has already netted twice this campaign in only eight starts

Since the start of last season, only Wayne Rooney (38) has had more shots on target from outside the penalty area in the Premier League than Taarabt (35). The two have similar shooting accuracy from distance, with Rooney hitting the target 54.3% of the time while Taarabt does so with 53.0% of his long-rangers.

Rooney, though, leads the charts for goals from outside the box with five, while no fewer than 22 players have scored more such goals than Taarabt's two.

http://www.football365.com/f365-features/8289941/The-Stats-Say-Taarabt-Could-Be-Useful...

KickOff.co.uk reported rooney netted 5 premier league goals outside the box. (You may do this google search. I couldn't open the link.)

See you at dawn for every other issue plus new issues you may come up with.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 8:15am On Sep 24, 2014
Another thing we lack bar good defenders is a CM; a Scholes type. Someone who controls the tempo of the game.

Someone like that would have calmed the high tempo game down at 2-0/3-1 to help the team to organize well and conserve some energy especially as it was an away game.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Antell95(m): 8:31am On Sep 24, 2014
Liverpool took 120 minutes and 14 penalties to beat a Championship side.

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ElFenomeno1: 8:39am On Sep 24, 2014
coogar:

where's elfenomeno?? cheesy grin

Something tells me you wrote this article! grin

It is heavily biased
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SetrakusRa(m): 10:21am On Sep 24, 2014
ChristineC: The problems at the back is not just about quality players, but not having enough time to develop understanding. If I am the coach, the next time Smalling or Jones injures themselves unnecessarily after just returning from injury, I will sell them both. A defender that cannot play five consecutive matches with his partner to form a unified base is not needed. The same too for Evans, I don't even like his football.
We will make it guys. Like Falcao's damsel tweeted, "loss of a fight doesn't mean you'll lose the war."
Our defenders should scare strikers, toughen up and play together for sometime like Kompany and Mangala, that is my stand.

Spot on!

Evans is one lazy tw.at, he'll never work hard for his team.

Our Midfield and Defence should know that when your opponents starts to play dirty, you also play dirty! like your example of Mangala and Kompany. Why don't we switch Fellaini to a CB? i have no doubts that he'll excel there.

"pace and pawa" will do wonders with this defense
Valencia - Jones - Rojo - Shaw/Blind
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SetrakusRa(m): 10:45am On Sep 24, 2014

Manchester United’s back four lack leaders and this image above from Match of the Day 2 is a fine example. Here, five United players are pointing to the two unmarked Leicester players in the penalty area, seemingly asking each other to take responsibility and pick them up. They have no sort of straight defensive line either.

This shows United’s dismal attempt at organising their back line. The players marked 1 (Smalling), 2 (Blackett), 3 (Rojo) and 4 (Rafael) are United’s back four in the second half. But rather than standing in a straight line, looking to catch opponents offside, United’s players have formed a diamond. It sums up the lack of shape, communication and organisation. Louis van Gaal has a big job on his hands

www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2765720/Louis-van-Gaal-one-best-coaches-world-fix-Manchester-United-s-defence.html
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:59am On Sep 24, 2014
SetrakusRa:

www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2765720/Louis-van-Gaal-one-best-coaches-world-fix-Manchester-United-s-defence.html

^^
And they expected the captain to clap for them. Look at how Blackett played them onside.

These guys are good and smart but we missed the leadership of Ferdi or Vidic there. Smalling is to blame the most here.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:05am On Sep 24, 2014
coogar:

not entirely....
he said he was good in the first half. 45 mins isn't 90 mins.

they weren't out of hatred - if you cannot admit rooney was shyte in the second half when we needed him the most, then you shouldn't be taken serious on this forum at all.

can 5 different articles be against rooney all of a sudden? everything they have written, i pointed out immediately after the game and you accused me of witch-hunting.

lo & behold, different articles started coming out reiterating exactly what i said on sunday. rooney was shyte on sunday especially in the second half.

In the match I saw, Rooney played well until Di Maria and Falcao left. Then everyone started playing ordinarily. We didn't see Mata and Januzaj in the game. Like we played with 9 men and finally 8 men after the red card.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SetrakusRa(m): 11:06am On Sep 24, 2014
elampiro:

^^
And they expected the captain to clap for them. Look at how Blackett played them onside.

These guys are good and smart but we missed the leadership of Ferdi or Vidic there. Smalling is to blame the most here.

i think Smalling should be loaned out and Evans thrown away. We should get either of Hummels, Pique or even Ron Vlaar.. i won't mind having Vidic back too. we just need an experienced defense, save promoting young players for later.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:14am On Sep 24, 2014
SailorXY:
what do you think is the way forward for this team as it stands now

The team will be ok soon. Gaal is new to EPL and he's getting to know the physical approach. The front line of the team will sort itself out on its own. It might take the whole season to get to know the best combination. Situations might also warrant certain players being selected ahead of others.

Gaal has said Falcao and RVP will be striking. What if one loses form? It's gona be a rumble.

Mata appear to score from close rage, same playing and scoring region of RVP and Falcao. So it makes sense to me to play Rooney alog who scored from distance. That could favour a 4-3-3. But as I let the players rumble.

It's unfortunate somewhat to have all of them in one team without adequate matches. If our defence and midfield is solid, any one who plays behind the strikers will deliver. We get bullied by physical teams in the midfield.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:33am On Sep 24, 2014
In 2011-2012, Rooney has scored 21 goals in 25 appearances – 15 of which have been scored when Danny Welbeck has been present alongside Rooney. Welbeck has scored 11 goals in 21 appearances, impressive for a striker experiencing his first real chance at success with United.

http://www.goallegacy.net/t16969-rooney-and-welbeck-the-best-partnership-in-the-premier-league-whilst-evra-is-losing-it

Welbeck could have been great for us if he complemented Rooney. May be Rooney and Welbeck struggle to play with RVP. Last season Rooney and Welbeck had some good games together, until injury hammered them.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:36am On Sep 24, 2014
Wayne Rooney:

There seems to be a lot of people who have written us off because of Sundays result but I don't see it that way. When I look around our dressing room and see the quality we have and the managers unbelievable attention to detail I have no doubts this team will be successful.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 24, 2014
Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton be giving me hope. Lol
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by IYANGBALI: 5:08pm On Sep 24, 2014
elampiro: Wayne Rooney:

There seems to be a lot of people who have written us off because of Sundays result but I don't see it that way. When I look around our dressing room and see the quality we have and the managers unbelievable attention to detail I have no doubts this team will be successful.
they better be,I'm getting tired of win one,lose one,draw two,moreover I hate draw soup.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 10:12pm On Sep 24, 2014
elampiro:
The team will be ok soon. Gaal is new to EPL and he's getting to know the physical approach. The front line of the team will sort itself out on its own. It might take the whole season to get to know the best combination. Situations might also warrant certain players being selected ahead of others.
Gaal has said Falcao and RVP will be striking. What if one loses form? It's gona be a rumble.
Mata appear to score from close rage, same playing and scoring region of RVP and Falcao. So it makes sense to me to play Rooney alog who scored from distance. That could favour a 4-3-3. But as I let the players rumble.
It's unfortunate somewhat to have all of them in one team without adequate matches. If our defence and midfield is solid, any one who plays behind the strikers will deliver. We get bullied by physical teams in the midfield.
we can get good balance with 4-3-3 tho
a flat -3- in midfield to comprise
herrera-blind-fletcher/rooney/carrick

against the jam-body & airforce teams
herrera/rooney-fellaini-blind/anderson

with complimentary forwards
januzaj/young-falcao-di maria/mata

with mata, it is a floating no. 10. without mata, it is straight flying down the wings

rvp and falcao alternates

hopefully, we can add Vidal, Strootman and a top, non-injury prone CB by January and next summer
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 10:29pm On Sep 24, 2014

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:29pm On Sep 24, 2014
capricornian:

Elampiro, can I ask you some questions my bro?

1- Do you think Rooney's performances compared to when he was younger are improving, stagnant or on the down hill?

2- If you were to buy 'a Rooney' which would you prefer.... A Rooney of some 6years back or the Rooney of now?

3- What are those attributes or qualities that can make Rooney a better player?

Thank you

1. No Man United player can be said to be progressing since SAF left. Those progressing are the ones who left to other clubs- Welbeck, Nani, Chicha and Kagawa. I have not monitored Vidic.

Rooney did well until SAF left. In 2012/13 he scored 12 and assisted 10 from 22 starts. About 3 matches in CM and some more in the wing. That's reasonable. In 2011/12, United had the best points and goals ever, we were just unlucky that City were destined to post a better result. Had City posted a similar performance in 2012/13, United wouldn't be champions and RVP's inclusion would have amounted to nothing.

2. Rooney 6 years back was not as prolific in scoring for club and country. But a hard worker similar to what we have in Di Maria now. Such players don't usually have the stats count for them. The reason a few guys here would argue that he has never don anything for us. Just like arguing Di Maria has never done anything for Madrid or Argentina 'cos he doesn't fight for box roles. But thank you for recognizing the talent and his work rate he offered in those years. I missed Rooney's work rate now. Those days, Rooney was sure to disposes an opponent when he chased backward, he was a killer on the counter. The reason it was easy for CR7 to play with him. Now he has been taught to stay in the box. His goals went up, but he doesn't run enough too burn his fat.

3. He has to keep running. He is not a box player like Nistelrooy or Inzaghi. He is forcing himself to what he's not. Capelo got it wrong. Rooney and Tevez are a rare type of strikers. They kill you in your midfield and still go forward to score many goals almost as box strikers score. Rooney was closed to playing as Robben play now. He should be made to watch Robben 6 hours a week for 6 months. Robben doesn't have great stats but he is greater than players with great goals stats. But somehow, I see improvement now playing along Di Maria.

I saw an FA cup match in 2007. Man United vs Chelsea, Rooney was like Di Maria or Robben. There were some matches again in 2008. This man needs to run and run on the field. It will also help him burn fat and run faster tthe more.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:44pm On Sep 24, 2014
coogar:

over 3 years ago would be between january 2011 & the night of the champions league final - when SAF preferred rooney/hernandez combo to berbatov/hernandez.

in 11/12, it was mostly rooney & welbeck in attack. hernandez was injured & berbatov had limited starts. stop posting if you don't understand simple english.

* This means that the last two times Rooney played in the hole we won the EPL. 2010/11 and 2012/13.

And in the above two seasons, Rooney goals came in the heat of the title race- the run in. He scored some winning goals in stubborn matches.

* .... And Mata has never won the EPL (from the hole) despite having superior midfield and Drogba+ your beloved Torres.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:52pm On Sep 24, 2014
coogar:

finally, the writer was talking about the season rooney operated behind hernandez - mostly in europe when we got to champions league final & when we destroyed chelsea in the title race.

that was the last time rooney had any decent performance in the hole.

Who was in the hole in 2012/13 season?

With 12 goals and 10 assists from 22 starts? The man who gave RVP sexy assists to kill teams like Villa. The man who scored two against City at Ethihad and won us some matches when RVP stopped firing.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:02am On Sep 25, 2014
BinghiNya: Wazza is the bomb, he won't be benched. RVP will sit on the Bench as he offers little, his goal scoring hides nothing.

RVP is not even scoring goals as much. He was a co-striker with Rooney vs QPR. Rooney scored one and assisted another. Then next week Gaal said Rooney is not outstanding as a striker and RVP is his best striker. Mata even scored 1. Yet Rooney and Mata did more passes and cover more ground than RVP.

Gaal is trusting on his compatriot and national team captain. Hope RVP won't disappoint him soon?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:04am On Sep 25, 2014
So even without Lopez, Casilas got dropped?

Ukwu!!!

Make I sleep jor.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1046) (1047) (1048) (1049) (1050) (1051) (1052) ... (14378) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.