Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,903 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (1631) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8716094 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1628) (1629) (1630) (1631) (1632) (1633) (1634) ... (14146) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:19pm On May 21, 2015
Falcao
53 mins ·
Hacer cambios y tomar decisiones en la vida no es fácil! Pero hay momentos en que hay que hacerlo! Atrévete!
To make changes and decisions in life is not easy! But there are times when you have to do it! Just risk it!

Wetin bros dey talk?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Dadehmola: 11:23pm On May 21, 2015
elampiro:

Staying central during defence. What havoc can one do in one owns half?

www.fourfourtwo.com/features/how-angel-di-maria-went-england-bound-castaway-key-man-real-madrid

I would have liked to highlight certain facts in this explicit analysis of di Maria's final season at Madrid, but unfortunately, it would be too tedious for me.

Elampiro, di Maria was an attacking midfielder last season but I'd agree with you that he had that tenacity to drift out wide (to the left)...shikena!!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:10am On May 22, 2015
Dadehmola:

www.fourfourtwo.com/features/how-angel-di-maria-went-england-bound-castaway-key-man-real-madrid

I would have liked to highlight certain facts in this explicit analysis of di Maria's final season at Madrid, but unfortunately, it would be too tedious for me.

Elampiro, di Maria was an attacking midfielder last season but I'd agree with you that he had that tenacity to drift out wide (to the left)...shikena!!

Why you con go bring this article wey you take fail yourself?

Let me help you highlight some.

1. When Gareth Bale became the latest 'Galactico' at Real Madrid last summer, it was largely expected that Ángel di María would be the one to make way. The Argentine held down the inverted right-winger position that Bale now occupies.

2. Carlo Ancelotti changed formation continuously in his opening few months at Madrid, though 4-2-3-1 was his predominant selection. When Bale played, Di María didn't. When the wide man did start, it was out on the right; he was essentially an under-study to the world's most expensive player.

3. The brilliant form of young Isco complicated matters further; if Ancelotti wanted a 'number 10' then it was the former Málaga man who would be selected.

From the above, you can see that Isco was the number 10, the AM. While Di Maria was a winger. Now let's look at the next stage occasioned by injuries.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:30am On May 22, 2015
4. Injuries to both Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo meant that Di María was still able to clock up plenty of game time, while Ancelotti used his now custom 4-3-3 a little more. Against Real Sociedad, Ancelotti was able to field a midfield three of Xabi Alonso, Sami Khedira and Luka Modrić for the first time. Real Madrid were 3-0 up within 30 minutes, eventually winning the match 5-1. Khedira was then cruelly ruled out for the rest of the season, whilst on international duty for Germany.
Ancelotti initially decided the 4-2-3-1 was the best option without Khedira, but away victories over Espanyol and Real Betis with Di María on the left of a midfield three caused a rethink. "Yes, for the moment we will keep playing with the 4-3-3 formation," said the Italian in a press conference. "It gives us a good balance because all of our three midfielders work well enough."
Asier Illarramendi and Casemiro are other midfield options, but both are better suited to breaking up the play and making simple passes. With Alonso and Modrić already in the centre Ancelotti wants someone with energy, drive and athleticism. With Di María as a central midfielder, Ancelotti has the right blend
More to come. grin

The above clearly states that Khedira was injured and that necessitated Di Maria to take his place in three man centre midfield involving Alonso and Modric. I ask you dadehmola, how is central midfield same as number 10 position? Let's continue. To the next stage.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:39am On May 22, 2015
5. The tactician revealed how he now views Di María, when trying to explain how is struggling to fit Isco into the side. "It's true that Isco doesn't fit this system that well. He can play in Di María or Modrić's spot, but he's not as comfortable there," said Ancelotti.

The adaptation shouldn't have been that surprising; it's a role that Di Maria is already familiar. At Benfica, he would regularly feature on the left-hand side of Jorge Jesus' midfield diamond. On the right were Chelsea's Ramires and Manchester City's Javi Garcia in the holding position.

Comment. Isco is number 10, he cant fit into central midfield, the position Di Maria is asked to play. A position similar to where Ramires plays for Chelsea or Javi Garcia, a natural DM plays for City. Ukwu!!!

6. That tactical flexibility is illustrated in the way he positions himself throughout matches. With Ronaldo cutting inside, he (Di Maria) drifts out to the flanks to provide width and crosses. His directness and pace causes opposing midfielder's problems if they don't track his late runs into the box.

Dadehmola, did you really read this? grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:46am On May 22, 2015
7. His vertical style helps penetrate defences, either through a key pass or by carrying the ball and committing players. He is punishing the smaller teams, but equally performing in the bigger matches. It's now six assists and one goal in his last seven starts as a central midfielder, including a man of the match performance against Atlético in the Copa Del Rey.

8. Against a side like Barcelona, he is vital when attempting to win the ball back and then spring a counter attack. He doesn't possess the physicality of Khedira, but it's his work-rate and mobility that sees him given the job.
Political reasons could yet see the South American leave in the summer.

Dademola, where is the number 10/Central Attacking Midfied in all of these?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by JayKayMaybachz(m): 7:02am On May 22, 2015
SailorXY:

according to the Argentine newspaper. I hope its true tho
Fvck It... . Mostly false
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Dadehmola: 7:59am On May 22, 2015
Like I said earlier, it's good to see you are already admitting your initial goof that Di Maria was primarily a winger last season! cheesy

You are now starting to lay emphasis on "central midfield", not "attacking midfield".

We are getting somewhere grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by weedtaker: 8:38am On May 22, 2015
With the above explanation elampiro gave us about di maria operating as a left handed central midfielder in a midfield 3 (though i'm convinced he operated as an AMF), that means the arrival of depay won't be a problem for him, his link up plays with depay will even be superb, i just pray he picks his best form and become consistent, his battle is with fellaini, juan mata nd d rest.. The problem now, na our abino captain.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 8:40am On May 22, 2015
Dadehmola:
Like I said earlier, it's good to see you are already admitting your initial goof that Di Maria was primarily a winger last season! cheesy

You are now starting to lay emphasis on "central midfield", not "attacking midfield".

We are getting somewhere grin

No, you goofed. You wanted to prove that Di Maria played in the hole/number 10 like Young. You ended up helping my argument because:

It's easier to make Assists from the wing than central midfield. Our wingers- Valencia, Nani, Giggs have had more Assists than our CMs.

Ramires ever highest Assists from that position has been 2 in 2607 minutes. Just like our Anderson having 1 Assists from a similar position in 2007/2008 and his highest Assists ever is 3.

Young played in the wing and central attacking midfield. Di Maria played in the wing and central midfield where Ramires plays for Chelsea or Javi Garcia played for Man City. Note the difference.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dopeJemi: 8:42am On May 22, 2015
Elampiro no worry, I got your back on this one... you win everybody for this one
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 9:32am On May 22, 2015
JayKayMaybachz:
Fvck It... . Mostly false
smiley we don't know that yet
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:41am On May 22, 2015
Coogar can we move to number 2 fraudster on your list WAYNE ROONEY
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Keky(m): 9:57am On May 22, 2015
torres2:
where u dey since?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 2:13pm On May 22, 2015
elampiro:
May be people didnt get the basis of this argument. Afrodoc confirmed my position but he went on to say I was wrong.

1. My last line of argument was that Young played behind the main striker in 2010/11. His second most productive season. Coogar disagreed. Afrodoc corroborated my position.

2. The other argument which I abandoned because there were no data at the time, so nothing solid to back, was that I said Young played in a fluid front before 2010/2011. Although more on the wing. Whoscored 2009/2010 kind of supported this, when it listed Young s the only Villa player who played AM(C) in some matches out of 23 players.

So when compare to the best in the world Young does not really mention up as a winger because his stats were boosted by the central roles he was assigned. I doubt if Di Maria ever played the AM(C) for Madrid when he was the best in Assists. I think I have to quit this since people didnt understand it.

no vex it is because your and coogar have these marathon arguments and it is close to impossible to follow all the meanders and ox-bow lake points both of you make.

Young played most of 10/11 season in a free role behind the no9. this was in use especially when they were playing their usual counter attack style in tough fixtures.
But whenever they had control of a game for long periods Young in his free role tended to drift out wide to the left while Agbonlahor cut in from the left to aid the no9.

Anyway what is the reason for this argument though?
Young has always been and remains below world class quality. He is at best a squad player for any team aiming to compete and rule in Europe.
His apparent worth this season is because of the FALL to mediocrity of most of the other players rather than any upsurge in Young's skill level. The fecal performances of Rooney, RVP, Di Maria and king flop Falcao have made Young look better than he is.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 2:19pm On May 22, 2015
una still dey here?
elampawa & his tunnel-vision no go gree even when he knows he's been slaughtered. if you get a samurai sword & chop elampawa into 12 portions.......he would put himself together back again, call radio nigeria edo and claim it never happened.

torres2:

i have already touched on rooney.
he's the biggest fraudster in the squad if you factor his wages. di maria is the greatest fraudster in the squad of you factor the hype that came with his signing.

rooney is a level-1 forward.....lets just agree on that. we need a better forward in our squad. the earlier we sort that out, the better for us. when he played as a CM, the excuse was that he was too far from the opponent's goal. he was played as a lone striker for many games and he had nothing to show for it.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 2:31pm On May 22, 2015
Keky:
where u dey since?
I have been around for a while on decided to just read and move on.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 2:40pm On May 22, 2015
afrodoc2:
His apparent worth this season is because of the FALL to mediocrity of most of the other players rather than any upsurge in Young's skill level. The fecal performances of Rooney, RVP, Di Maria and king flop Falcao have made Young look better than he is.

you mean young supernaturally sucked out the powers of rooney, RVP, di maria, etc to boost his skill level? what has rooney's inconsistency gotta do with young? when he was fit in the preseason, he was our best player in the USA. his detractors said it was only the preseason and shouldn't count.

now that he turned it up in the last few weeks after a sustained run of games, you still manage to cough out another excuse? grin young must have been cursed. he's damned if he performs, damned when he doesn't perform!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 4:12pm On May 22, 2015
The fastest players in the world according to FIFA. Here is the list and speeds in full:

10. Alexis Sanchez (Arsenal) – 30.1 km/h

9. Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich) – 30.4 km/h

8. Franck Ribery (Bayern Munich) – 30.7 km/h

7. Wayne Rooney (Manchester United) – 31.2 km/h

6. Lionel Messi (Barcelona) – 32.5 km/h

5. Theo Walcott (Arsenal) – 32.7 km/h

4. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) – 33.6 km/h

3. Aaron Lennon (Tottenham, on loan at Everton) – 33.8 km/h

2. Gareth Bale (Real Madrid) – 34.7 km/h.

1. Antonio Valencia (Manchester United) – 35.1 km/h

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/fifa-reveals-the-fastest-footballer-in-the-world-202540390.html
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 5:07pm On May 22, 2015
Have we even considered changing our medical team since they cant keep players fit. I hear Bayern's medical team is available. cheesy
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 5:24pm On May 22, 2015
coogar:

you mean young supernaturally sucked out the powers of rooney, RVP, di maria, etc to boost his skill level? what has rooney's inconsistency gotta do with young? when he was fit in the preseason, he was our best player in the USA. his detractors said it was only the preseason and shouldn't count.

now that he turned it up in the last few weeks after a sustained run of games, you still manage to cough out another excuse? grin young must have been cursed. he's damned if he performs, damned when he doesn't perform!

LOL very funny.
Its all about relativity. The same way Skrtl looks tall and imposing in the EPL but looked miniature when he stood beside Lebron James during his Liverpool visit.
The same way Mangala looked like a world class defender when he was marking Maritimo and Braga strikers but now looks like a bricklayer in the EPL.
Ashley Young's above average performances looked even more superb because everybody else around him was stinking up the joint.
For all Young's flashes this season how many goals and how many assists does he have?

I am not against Young again, he has impressed me this season but do not make it seem like he is in the class of Robben,Neymar, Sanchez e.t.c
He is a good squad player to have but if we are to challenge in Europe again ( and i mean the Champs League not Europa) we can not afford to have Ashley Young and our goal keeper as our best players.
In order to get to the top again we need to have players of far more talent than Ashley Young to start producing to their talent level.

Borrowing one of your favourite phrases, Ashley Young's ceiling is too low for us to depend on him as one of our best players.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 5:47pm On May 22, 2015
afrodoc2:

LOL very funny.
Its all about relativity. The same way Skrtl looks tall and imposing in the EPL but looked miniature when he stood beside Lebron James during his Liverpool visit.

The same way Mangala looked like a world class defender when he was marking Maritimo and Braga strikers but now looks like a bricklayer in the EPL.

see analogy.....

Ashley Young's above average performances looked even more superb because everybody else around him was stinking up the joint.
For all Young's flashes this season how many goals and how many assists does he have?

he was stationed as a wing back in nearly all the games in the first half of the season to accommodate di maria. you cannot fault his effort - why ain't we asking how many goals & assists valencia has?

I am not against Young again, he has impressed me this season but do not make it seem like he is in the class of Robben,Neymar, Sanchez e.t.c

no one is saying he's on the level of robben or neymar. i cannot even say he's better sterling - my point is he has punched way over his weight this season & he deserves the credit.

He is a good squad player to have but if we are to challenge in Europe again ( and i mean the Champs League not Europa) we can not afford to have Ashley Young and our goal keeper be our best players.

same goes to valencia, jones, evans, rooney, januzaj, etc. we are incredibly light-weight. we need to move so many players out of the squad.

In order to get to the top again we need to have players of far more talent than Ashley Young to start producing to their talent level.

agreed!

Borrowing one of your favourite phrases, Ashley Young's ceiling is too low for us to depend on him as one of our best players.

i don't think his ceiling is too low for us.
he's a reliable squad player. he can come on to change the tide of a game that is heading for a draw.

yes, we need more.
adidas' £75m bonanza kicks off this summer. we should be competing for the top-tier players like madrid, barca & bayern.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by parrotibaba(m): 5:55pm On May 22, 2015
afrodoc2:

Anyway what is the reason for this argument though?
Young has always been and remains below world class quality. He is at best a squad player for any team aiming to compete and rule in Europe.

mate easy! u didn't say dis when young was d only one carrying d weight of our attacks when he was deployed as a wing back ,or when he tore Kyle walker ,Zabaleta n recently bellerin to shreds ,to be honest young merits every praise he is currently getting because he was never given d chance to shine n he surprised everyone ,not cos our players was under par dis season ...if young could score more goals like he did at villa ,n coupled with his skill n crosses ,we wouldn't hv splashed €43million on depay. Along side blind (occasionally) ,Herrera n di maria ,young is one of our risk takers dis season n coupled it with playing according to script ...

Now dat d season is coming to a close ,d wolves r out for his head again
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 6:02pm On May 22, 2015
coogar:

see analogy.....

he was stationed as a wing back in nearly all the games in the first half of the season to accommodate di maria. you cannot fault his effort - why ain't we asking how many goals & assists valencia has?

no one is saying he's on the level of robben or neymar. i cannot even say he's better sterling - my point is he has punched way over his weight this season & he deserves the credit.

same goes to valencia, jones, evans, rooney, januzaj, etc. we are incredibly light-weight. we need to move so many players out of the squad.

agreed!

i don't think his ceiling is too low for us.
he's a reliable squad player. he can come on to change the tide of a game that is heading for a draw.

yes, we need more.
adidas' £75m bonanza kicks off this summer. we should be competing for the top-tier players like madrid, barca & bayern.

My feelings about Valencia are well known. I was the first person on this thread to question Valencia's value to the team years ago.
He can't do ANYTHING with his left foot what is he doing on a football pitch........

I completely agree that Young did his best this season and believe me i concede he has real heart to come back from the abyss.

I mean Young's ceiling is too low for him to be a cornerstone of our team.
And earlier this season i said for United to really be free and move forward then we need to sell Rooney and RVP.......those 2 are the ones really holding us back. Sell those 2 and get proper, quick and potent forwards and wingers and real midfielders.

Rooney is not good enough to be our 1st choice no9 or 10 or 8.
RVP is about to be a finished product
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by parrotibaba(m): 6:02pm On May 22, 2015
coogar:
una still dey here?
elampawa & his tunnel-vision no go gree even when he knows he's been slaughtered. if you get a samurai sword & chop elampawa into 12 portions.......he would put himself together back again, call radio nigeria edo and claim it never happened.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 6:03pm On May 22, 2015
parrotibaba:
mate easy! u didn't say dis when young was d only one carrying d weight of our attacks when he was deployed as a wing back ,or when he tore Kyle walker ,Zabaleta n recently bellerin to shreds ,to be honest young merits every praise he is currently getting because he was never given d chance to shine n he surprised everyone ,not cos our players was under par dis season ...if young could score more goals like he did at villa ,n coupled with his skill n crosses ,we wouldn't hv splashed €43million on depay. Along side blind (occasionally) ,Herrera n di maria ,young is one of our risk takers dis season n coupled it with playing according to script ...

ok
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 6:05pm On May 22, 2015
parrotibaba:

I don't really think this is a "wolves" thing. Young is getting his credits from United fans all over, in fact I have not heard anyone fault his contributions this season. the major reason the praise is a lil overboard is becuz he was expected, as usual, to be total shyte again!

we still know he's not on di Maria's level all things being equal. Young still may be useful next season & get a lot of game time - depends on how quickly Depay can settle in & the pattern LvG may choose.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nihilist: 6:06pm On May 22, 2015
But Valencia has turned out to be one of the better rightbacks in the league this season....

Very solid in attack and defence.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 6:12pm On May 22, 2015
SailorXY:

I don't really think this is a "wolves" thing. Young is getting his credits from United fans all over, in fact I have not heard anyone fault his contributions this season. the major reason the praise is a lil overboard is becuz he was expected, as usual, to be total shyte again!

we still know he's not on di Maria's level all things being equal. Young still may be useful next season & get a lot of game time - depends on how quickly Depay can settle in & the pattern LvG may choose.

Thank you. Sometimes on this thread we should be able to debate about our players without thinking there is an agenda involved.
I don't hate Young and even if i did the love i have for United surpasses any hate in my heart. I am happy with any player that delivers for my club and Young has done so.
Having said that we can't afford another season with Young being our best player because there is a limit to his talents.
He is not Robben, Ribery, Sanchez, Neymar e.t.c and never will be. So as long as our rivals have those superstars on their rosters as their best players we need to get our own PERFORMING superstars too ( players at that world class level).
When we do that Young can become a very very valuable squad player.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 6:16pm On May 22, 2015
Nihilist:
But Valencia has turned out to be one of the better rightbacks in the league this season....

My main grouse with him was as right winger all those years.
Even as a right back heis still clueless most times he is overlapping. if we had Rafael or G.Neville in those sweet positions Valencia found himself we would have created more from the right.
He has a few things going for him....he is fast, stays fit n uninjured and appears tactically disciplined.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 6:17pm On May 22, 2015
afrodoc2:

My feelings about Valencia are well known. I was the first person on this thread to question Valencia's value to the team years ago.
He can't do ANYTHING with his left foot what is he doing on a football pitch........

I completely agree that Young did his best this season and believe me i concede he has real heart to come back from the abyss.

I mean Young's ceiling is too low for him to be a cornerstone of our team.
And earlier this season i said for United to really be free and move forward then we need to sell Rooney and RVP.......those 2 are the ones really holding us back. Sell those 2 and get proper, quick and potent forwards and wingers and real midfielders.

Rooney is not good enough to be our 1st choice no9 or 10 or 8.
RVP is about to be a finished product

age has caught up with RVP. there's a rumour he's going back to holland. rooney should be relegated to a squad player. he can never be the same excellent striker he was 10 years ago. we need top tier strikers that are in the same level as aguero, suarez, etc

afrodoc2:

My main grouse with him was as right winger all those years.
Even as a right back heis still clueless most times he is overlapping. if we had Rafael or G.Neville in those sweet positions Valencia found himself we would have created more from the right.
He has a few things going for him....he is fast, stays fit n uninjured and appears tactically disciplined.

he should be taken away from that position. we lost many vital games because of his cluelessness at the back. the only thing he's got his pace to recover the ball. he doesn't even use that pace to beat his markers & his crosses are totally shyte!

we are man utd, we deserve so much better
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 6:19pm On May 22, 2015
Nihilist:

there's nothing solid about an attacking Valencia. he's the reason there's not much threat from spaces opened up on the right by virtue of the drifting inwards of Juan Mata.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1628) (1629) (1630) (1631) (1632) (1633) (1634) ... (14146) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: AdisaOwala and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.