Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,150 members, 7,835,844 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:05 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (9504) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8791193 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9501) (9502) (9503) (9504) (9505) (9506) (9507) ... (14182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 3:00pm On Feb 04, 2021
Jodera:
pas du tout.
Na French?
Wetin e mean abeg grin grin grin

Yeah na French grin.

Means “at all”
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Lana1(m): 3:02pm On Feb 04, 2021
elampiro:

That puts the defenders under pressure. This is why he might never be rated as number 1 in the world. Even in the EPL, I doubt if he is still number 1.

That aspect of goalkeeper is very important and Romero used it to help us win the Europa. If I remember well, Romero was doing well again in the last Europa until Ole decided DeGea has to keep, and we were knocked out.
Watch the replay of Sevilla's second goal against us last season.
You'll see how De Gea just stood on his line instead of rushing out to close the gap on de Jong and reduce his chances of scoring.

I've never understood why he doesn't rush out when he has to

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Smellymouth: 3:03pm On Feb 04, 2021
afrodoc2:

This Jankewitz tackle is probably the worst i have seen all season.
McTominay’s chi was not sleeping. That might have been R.I.P to his career.

Jankewitz can count himself very lucky he only got a red. The tackle had the potential to be as bad as Luke Shaw's leg break.

Players have a responsibility to be aware of the safety of their fellow footballers on the pitch..
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 3:21pm On Feb 04, 2021
Smellymouth:

Jankewitz can count himself very lucky he only got a red. The tackle had the potential to be as bad as Luke Shaw's leg break.

Players have a responsibility to be aware of the safety of their fellow footballers on the pitch..

If not worse. IMO A double leg fracture as bad as it is is not as bad as a fracture-dislocation of the knee joint. If McTominay's leg was well planted in a nice angle offering resistance to the tackle that would have been it for him.

5 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Jodera: 3:31pm On Feb 04, 2021
Leyqute:

Yeah na French grin.

Means “at all”
Lol.. Thanks bro.

I like the stuff o, na to add am for collection grin grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Illimitable: 4:07pm On Feb 04, 2021
TrebleChamp:
I want to disagree with this notion chief, the glaziers have spent over £1bn on transfers since Sir Alex Ferguson left. Of all the managers we've had post Fergie, only David Moyes wasn't really backed in the transfer window. The Glaziers are parasite no doubt, but they have spend huge money on transfers in the last 7+ years. Its not their fault that Ole and Woodward valued Maguire for £80m or Bissaka for £50m, its not the glaziers fault that United have done some really shitty transfer bizness over the years. The Glaziers have spent and will keep spending, its down to the Manager(s) to deliver the title with players bought at their request....

I hope you know there’s a difference between spending on players & spending on players to win the league.

It’s a myth that the Glazers have spent money. What percentage of United’s revenue go into buying players? You would find out it’s the smallest in the top 6 by a considerable distance.

United’s peers in Europe are Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich but I doubt any of United’s players get an automatic start in any of those clubs. That should be your first indicator that United don’t spend as much as their status dictates.

When Pep & Jose arrived in the summer of 2016, the only world class player in United was David De Gea. City had De Bruyne, Aguero, Fernandinho, Kompany and Sterling.

Pep has gone on to add another 36 players to that list with a total outlay of £832m. Manchester United under Jose and Ole combined added only 19 players that cost less than £700m.

Yes, the Glazers have spent money but if they cannot outspend Man City who actually have a better structure and manager, there’s no chance we will ever see a Premier League victory under the Glazers.

The other option is to do it the Liverpool way - give an elite manager about 5 years to build a squad. The only problem with this option is Manchester United’s status. They are too big to give any manager more than 3 years to build a squad without a trophy. The fans will not sit through it.

Liverpool were able to do this because they had waited 30 years without a league title - the fans expectation was very low. And even if United fans become patient, United’s manager is not elite at all to see out the project.

In conclusion, United are in big trouble unless they outrightly outspend their rivals or sack Ole.

13 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 4:38pm On Feb 04, 2021
God will save us from American billionaires. Audio billionaires.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MRTA7: 4:46pm On Feb 04, 2021
Illimitable:

I hope you know there’s a difference between spending on players & spending on players to win the league.

It’s a myth that the Glazers have spent money. What percentage of United’s revenue go into buying players? You would find out it’s the smallest in the top 6 by a considerable distance.

United’s peers in Europe are Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich but I doubt any of United’s players get an automatic start in any of those clubs. That should be your first indicator that United don’t spend as much as their status dictates.

When Pep & Jose arrived in the summer of 2016, the only world class player in United was David De Gea. City had De Bruyne, Aguero, Fernandinho, Kompany and Sterling.

Pep has gone on to add another 36 players to that list with a total outlay of £832m. Manchester United under Jose and Ole combined added only 19 players that cost less than £700m.

Yes, the Glazers have spent money but if they cannot outspend Man City who actually have a better structure and manager, there’s no chance we will ever see a Premier League victory under the Glazers.

The other option is to do it the Liverpool way - give an elite manager about 5 years to build a squad. The only problem with this option is Manchester United’s status. They are too big to give any manager more than 3 years to build a squad without a trophy. The fans will not sit through it.

Liverpool were able to do this because they had waited 30 years without a league title - the fans expectation was very low. And even if United fans become patient, United’s manager is not elite at all to see out the project.

In conclusion, United are in big trouble unless they outrightly outspend their rivals or sack Ole.

We have said this exact post numerous times in this thread when that spending argument is being made. This is the best and clearest post I have read on this issue. very well put together.

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 4:53pm On Feb 04, 2021
timay:

You dey mind them grin
I'm sure Woodward is not getting carried away sha, because I'm sure he's going to sell him in the summer. Getting some money off him was the reason the one year option in his contract was triggered. If he did good with Westham, those ones will be happy to pay up
Lingard is not a bad player. What we needed badly in the team at that time was a creator especially in that his role.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 4:59pm On Feb 04, 2021
MRTA7:

We have said this exact post numerous times in this thread when that spending argument is being made. This is the best and clearest post I have read on this issue. very well put together.
I think the argument for Glazer is that money was released. How the money is/was used has nothing to do with Glazers. I don't know the what goes on on the backend but this is what looks obvious to the ordinary eyes
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Smellymouth: 5:06pm On Feb 04, 2021
afrodoc2:

If not worse. IMO A double leg fracture as bad as it is is not as bad as a fracture-dislocation of the knee joint. If McTominay's leg was well planted in a nice angle offering resistance to the tackle that would have been it for him.

Sure boss. McTominay's leg would've snap if he got the knee instead..

And to think Southampton are appealing for the rec card to be rescinded..When they should be playing nice with the FA so Jankewitz doesn't get a further ban for that heinous tackle
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MRTA7: 5:54pm On Feb 04, 2021
eph12:

I think the argument for Glazer is that money was released. How the money is/was used has nothing to do with Glazers. I don't know the what goes on on the backend but this is what looks obvious to the ordinary eyes

That's the problem. The ordinary eyes need to understand this is not the case.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 5:57pm On Feb 04, 2021
MRTA7:

That's the problem. The ordinary eyes need to understand this is not the case.
There should be some source, yea?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by JayKayMaybachz(m): 6:10pm On Feb 04, 2021
Of players to have attempted at least 50 crosses (excluding corners) in the Premier League this season, Luke Shaw has the best success rate (31.5%)

His cross accuracy was only 20.6% in 2019/20

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 6:21pm On Feb 04, 2021
The Glazers have spent whether we admit or not, the problem is those who are in charge of our transfers.

The difference between our spending and that of City is insignificant in the grand scheme of things...We have overpaid for players and that's not down to the Glazers...

5 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 6:24pm On Feb 04, 2021
Illimitable:

How is this the fault of the Glazers?

Who asked us to spend foolishly?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SyIvalord: 6:55pm On Feb 04, 2021
So everyone and their grandmothers are fencists now? Lol.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 7:07pm On Feb 04, 2021
Pitchside cam looks more interesting when United’s winning.

Beat them Home and Away this season... both in a heartbreaking manner. Hope Ralph enjoyed it on both occasions.

Revenge perfectly balanced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVafWbNWKw8
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 7:30pm On Feb 04, 2021
cool

9 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 7:54pm On Feb 04, 2021
Oasis007:
cool

This one don dey join bad geng already.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Illimitable: 8:11pm On Feb 04, 2021
patrickmuf:
How is this the fault of the Glazers?

Who asked us to spend foolishly?

When Guardiola spent foolishly on Nolito, Claudio Bravo, Danilo, etc, he got rid of them as soon as they realized they didn’t fit in.

Chelsea didn’t stop spending big on players because Shevchenko or Bakayoko didn’t work.

Real Madrid never stopped spending because Kaka or James Rodriguez didn’t work.

Manchester United is the only club in the world where the fans want big spending to stop because certain players didn’t work.

8 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by nitrogen(m): 8:15pm On Feb 04, 2021
Illimitable:

Haaaa, so you want to tell us that Arsenal, Tottenham, and Liverpool's transfer spending as a percentage of revenues exceeded Utd's 26% between 2013 and 2020? Only City and Chelsea had higher spending, and the margins are very low. City - 30%, Chelsea - 29%.

This assertion does not make sense. It is the function of the manager and the system. Players in Bayern don't cost arms and legs but they play very well under their managers. Same with Real Madrid and Barcelona. In fact Pique, a fringe player left Utd to become a 'world-class' defender at Barca. There are no two ways about this, the managers of other clubs made their players become very good in our eyes. Today, most of our players will do well in other teams.

Lol, most of the so-called world-class players were average players in the respective former clubs. KDB was a Chelsea reject, Aguero was from a mid-table club, Sterling the headless Chicken? Kompany? Fernandinho from Shaktar? You don't know what you are saying. Pep made these guys world-class players. He will go buy average players and turn them to world class. Stop peddling lies.

36 players from where now? Geez, are you including U15 and U18 signings? then Man Utd has signed close to 40 players. If we mention key players, Utd and City have signed about 31 and 35 players respectively since 2013/14 season till last summer.

I agree with you on this. As for me, I believe in the 'sack and hire' system for trophies. We have the structure as a club, we just need managers that can give us quick wins on the back of an existing structure.

In conclusion, City spent 1.1 billion Euros and Man Utd spent 1.04 billion Euros between 2013 and 2020. Tell me how you came to the conclusion that the Glazers have not spent enough to win the league. They have, and they will continue to. One thing that I believe they need is the ability to move quickly (re: sacking and hiring managers). Football management and admin are dynamic, the earlier they realize that the better for the club. All top teams in Europe are successful because they are quick to bring on other managers. Fergie and Wenger's days are gone, it is what it is!

Meanwhile, when you come up with assertions, make sure you have verifiable facts to back them up. You cannot just come here and be dropping numbers and analysis without thinking through them.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by TrebleChamp(m): 8:19pm On Feb 04, 2021
Illimitable:

I hope you also know the Glaziers are not in charge of buying players? Mancity that have dominated the league for a while have never spent more than £70m on a single player, Liverpool most expensive player is VVD for £75m. United bought Pogba for £93m and Lukaku for around £90m, £80m for Maguire cry and £50m for Bissaka. How has spending big helped Barcelona and Real Madrid in recent time, Bayern Munich most expensive signing is not up to £70m. How is it Glaziers fault that the Board and Manager have wasted money on useless players? If you are Joe Glaziers, will you be happy paying huge money on a player seeing what £80m Maguire is serving us? The board have done some shitty transfer in the past, the old Woodward would probably have paid that £108m transfer fee for Sancho. The Glaziers have been spending and will continue to spend on players, it is the board that should spend the money well on the right type of players....

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by nitrogen(m): 8:22pm On Feb 04, 2021
Illimitable:

When Guardiola spent foolishly on Nolito, Claudio Bravo, Danilo, etc, he got rid of them as soon as they realized they didn’t fit in.

Chelsea didn’t stop spending big on players because Shevchenko or Bakayoko didn’t work.

Manchester United is the only club in the world where the fans want big spending to stop because certain players didn’t work.

Lol, but you included them in your '38 players', right? Anyway, nobody is saying that big spending should stop, what we are saying is you should stop saying that the Gazers are not spending to win.

Let's check something. You started by saying that they don't want to win the EPL because the monetary benefits are not significantly different (vs a top 4 finish), that's a very interesting way of thinking sha, but I will leave it at that. Then someone told you that these same guys already spent over 1 billion since Fergie left, and then you came back to say that, yes they've actually spent, but they must outspend City to win the EPL. Question is, did Chelsea, Liverpool and LCFC outspend City before winning the EPL?

You need to gather your thoughts and present them clearly.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by JayKayMaybachz(m): 9:09pm On Feb 04, 2021
Opooooor

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by KingAlabi: 9:35pm On Feb 04, 2021
Mourinho with his fucking negative footy

All we want is a draw now angry
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SyIvalord: 9:48pm On Feb 04, 2021
José Mouhinro is a foolish coach
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Illimitable: 9:51pm On Feb 04, 2021
nitrogen:

Haaaa, so you want to tell us that Arsenal, Tottenham, and Liverpool's transfer spending as a percentage of revenues exceeded Utd's 26% between 2013 and 2020? Only City and Chelsea had higher spending, and the margins are very low. City - 30%, Chelsea - 29%.

Perhaps it’s also the reason those two clubs are the only clubs that have won the league title twice between 2013 and 2020.

Thanks for making my point.

nitrogen:

This assertion does not make sense. It is the function of the manager and the system. Players in Bayern don't cost arms and legs but they play very well under their managers. Same with Real Madrid and Barcelona. In fact Pique, a fringe player left Utd to become a 'world-class' defender at Barca. There are no two ways about this, the managers of other clubs made their players become very good in our eyes. Today, most of our players will do well in other teams.

Bayern literally bully the other teams in their league. While their players may not cost an arm or a leg, Bayern took the best goalie in the league from Schalke(Neuer), best defender in the league from Dortmund(Hummels), best striker in the league from Dortmund(Lewandowski).

The equivalent of that in the Premier League would have been stealing Kane, Aguero, Hazard, Van Dijk, De Bruyne, etc in the last 7 years from United’s rivals instead of buying Daniel James, Wan Bissaka, Maguire and the other bums The Glazers are pretending are world class players.

Real Madrid and Barcelona break the transfer record every other year, your assertion is laughable. Barca paid £75m(Suarez), £140m(Neymar), £120m(Coutinho), £105m(Dembele). United’s highest transfer is £89m on Pogba despite having similar revenue with Barcelona.

nitrogen:

Lol, most of the so-called world-class players were average players in the respective former clubs. KDB was a Chelsea reject, Aguero was from a mid-table club, Sterling the headless Chicken? Kompany? Fernandinho from Shaktar? You don't know what you are saying. Pep made these guys world-class players. He will go buy average players and turn them to world class. Stop peddling lies.

You do yourself a disservice when you lie unashamedly that Aguero became world class under Pep. Aguero was destroying teams under Mancini.

De Bruyne was the best player in Bundesliga when Man City signed him. Maybe you don’t watch a lot of football outside the Premier League to call De Bruyne(Bundesliga player of the year 2014/15) a Chelsea reject.

When City signed him for £50m in 2015 to add to their midfield that already had Nasri, Fernando, Fernandinho, David Silva and Yaya Toure, United were signing bargain basement bums like Schneiderlin from Southampton.

nitrogen:

36 players from where now? Geez, are you including U15 and U18 signings? then Man Utd has signed close to 40 players. If we mention key players, Utd and City have signed about 31 and 35 players respectively since 2013/14 season till last summer.

I only counted the players with transfer fees signed under both managers.

nitrogen:

In conclusion, City spent 1.1 billion Euros and Man Utd spent 1.04 billion Euros between 2013 and 2020. Tell me how you came to the conclusion that the Glazers have not spent enough to win the league. They have, and they will continue to. One thing that I believe they need is the ability to move quickly (re: sacking and hiring managers). Football management and admin are dynamic, the earlier they realize that the better for the club. All top teams in Europe are successful because they are quick to bring on other managers. Fergie and Wenger's days are gone, it is what it is!

Why are you starting the count from 2013? What about players like Tevez, Kompany, David Silva, Yaya Toure, Aguero, Dzeko, Adebayor, Balotelli, Nasri, etc? We should just blow those ones away because adding them doesn’t fit your false narrative?

Why not calculate how much the Glazers have spent since 2005 till date and how much City’s owners have a spent since 2008 and divide per year? That would be a clearer analysis of which owners are more ambitious.

nitrogen:

Meanwhile, when you come up with assertions, make sure you have verifiable facts to back them up. You cannot just come here and be dropping numbers and analysis without thinking through them.

This is comical.

You came up with fraudulent stats to back up a wrong assertion and you call it facts. The Glazers have taken more than £2 billion from the club without putting their own money back into the club.

They have taken out £900m in the last 10 years - imagine if that £900m went into buying players instead of servicing a debt United fans never asked for. How people like you continue to support parasites like the Glazers is one of the reasons the club is stuck in a quicksand.

The Glazers know they can count on fans like you while they continue to bleed the club to death with zero glory to add to it. United’s peers in Europe dominate their respective leagues.

Madrid/Barca dominate Spain.
Bayern Munich dominate Germany
Juventus dominate Italy

Man Utd(a club with similar revenue) haven’t won the league in 8 years and you continue to lie the Glazers have
spent money.

Are you high on crack?

7 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:56pm On Feb 04, 2021
Mourinho might be done at the top level. That guy plays horrible football. Even if Tottenham later wins, his football is atrocious.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Illimitable: 10:04pm On Feb 04, 2021
nitrogen:

Lol, but you included them in your '38 players', right? Anyway, nobody is saying that big spending should stop, what we are saying is you should stop saying that the Gazers are not spending to win.

Money spent is money spent.

nitrogen:

Let's check something. You started by saying that they don't want to win the EPL because the monetary benefits are not significantly different (vs a top 4 finish), that's a very interesting way of thinking sha, but I will leave it at that.

Why bring it up if you have nothing to say about it?

Shallow grandstanding!

nitrogen:

Then someone told you that these same guys already spent over 1 billion since Fergie left, and then you came back to say that, yes they've actually spent, but they must outspend City to win the EPL. Question is, did Chelsea, Liverpool and LCFC outspend City before winning the EPL?

They spent 1 billion since Fergie left and then took 2 billion to service a needless debt. Imagine if an extra 2 billion was spent on players since the Glazers arrived, where would United be?

United won 6 or 7 league titles in the 10 years preceding the arrival of the Glazers. Now since 2005(16 years ago), United have won just 5 titles in 16 seasons.

United went from 70% league title success to 31% under the Glazers and you continue to lie to yourself that they have spent money and it’s all down to the manager.

nitrogen:

You might want to attenuate your thoughtless remarks once in a while.

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 10:10pm On Feb 04, 2021
Illimitable:

Bailly, Lindelof, Maguire...

Shaw, Telles...

Matic, Fred...

Pogba, Bruno, VDB...

Depay, Martial, Lukaku...

Dalot, Wan-BIssaka...

And the list goes on...You at the names you are dropping for City...lol

Nolito, Bravo...I can as well talk about James, Romero etc.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 10:15pm On Feb 04, 2021
nitrogen:

Let's check something. You started by saying that they don't want to win the EPL because the monetary benefits are not significantly different (vs a top 4 finish), that's a very interesting way of thinking sha, but I will leave it at that. Then someone told you that these same guys already spent over 1 billion since Fergie left, and then you came back to say that, yes they've actually spent, but they must outspend City to win the EPL. Question is, did Chelsea, Liverpool and LCFC outspend City before winning the EPL?

Leave that dude, him think say all of us be yes men here...

At some point, I felt the Glazers should have done more but on the whole, they have tried and are right up there with some of the biggest spenders...

If he argued about the choice of coaches and how it has affected our recruitment, I'd have little concerns except that it's not even the Glazers that make the footballing decisions at the club...

(1) (2) (3) ... (9501) (9502) (9503) (9504) (9505) (9506) (9507) ... (14182) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.