Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,051 members, 7,810,928 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:33 PM

Protest In Auchi Poly Over Re-appointment Of Rector - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Protest In Auchi Poly Over Re-appointment Of Rector (4294 Views)

Sexual Harassment In Auchi Polytechnic: Prostitutes Assist Male Students / Buhari Approved The Appointment Of New Vcs For The 12 Universities / Auchi Polytechnic Form's Now On Sale In Auchi. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Protest In Auchi Poly Over Re-appointment Of Rector by mukina2: 1:03pm On Feb 15, 2012
Academic activities were disrupted for several hours at the Federal Polytechnic, Auchi, Edo State over the news that the Rector of the institution, Dr Phillipa Idoko had been reappointed for another term of five years. The youths, who are from the polytechnic’s host community, lamented over the re-appointment, saying she ought to have left after her first term of five years. Chairman of the Auchi Youths for Change, Umoru Akim said the people of the area were hoping that someone from the area would be appointed as Rector of the institution upon expiration of Dr Idoko’s tenure. He said the position ought to have been advertised so that others could apply. They accused President Goodluck Jonathan’s Chief of Staff, Mike Ogiadomhe of being behind the re-appointment of the Rector, who they claim is from his area. The people of the community threatened to make the institution ungovernable if a member of the community is not given the position. They called on the Federal Government to urgently intervene in the matter to avoid a breakdown of law and order.

In an interview with Daily Trust, the polytechnic’s Public Relations Officer, M.I. Oshiobugie confirmed that Dr Philipa Idoko has been re-appointed for a second term in office.

He said the polytechnic has no problem with the host community, but that some sponsored youths invaded the peace of the institution while learning was going on to disrupt academic activities.

He said both staff and students of the polytechnic demonstrated utmost restraint while the protest lasted and that the matter has been reported to security operatives.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=154738:protest-in-auchi-poly-over-re-appointment-of-rector&catid=1:news&Itemid=2
Re: Protest In Auchi Poly Over Re-appointment Of Rector by Acidosis(m): 1:34pm On Feb 15, 2012
I dont understand,  undecided what has host community got to do with academic activities on campus,
Re: Protest In Auchi Poly Over Re-appointment Of Rector by Mayflowa(m): 1:54pm On Feb 15, 2012
^^
I bow. I thought the rector displayed some obnoxious sort of leadership. And this can only be lamented by students and staff of the instutitions not the host community that have gained bountifully in terms of economy with the situation of the school there.
Re: Protest In Auchi Poly Over Re-appointment Of Rector by Outstrip(f): 4:08pm On Feb 15, 2012
Some things will never change
Re: Protest In Auchi Poly Over Re-appointment Of Rector by oiseworld: 10:39pm On Feb 15, 2012
when you give a mice a piece of cake, it would ask for a glass of milk. just imagine host community.
Re: Protest In Auchi Poly Over Re-appointment Of Rector by Noghayin03(m): 11:58pm On Feb 15, 2012
The woman is stuborn tho,but d community shud keep off academic activites cos majority of them are illiterates,even tho they are my people.
Re: Protest In Auchi Poly Over Re-appointment Of Rector by chelseabmw(m): 2:45am On Feb 16, 2012
angry
Re: Protest In Auchi Poly Over Re-appointment Of Rector by webaplanet(m): 12:54pm On Feb 16, 2012
The January 2012 report of Webometrics, a world tertiary education ranking institutions organisation, has shown that only three institutions in Nigeria made the list of first 100 best universities in Africa and none in the first 1,600 in the world.

The University of Benin ranked 1,639th on the global scale, the 18th in Africa and the first in Nigeria, followed by the University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun State as the second in Nigeria and the 2,266th in the world. It however did not show on the first 100 list in Africa.

The University of Ibadan, the third in the African first 100, was the 2,515th in the world and 53rd in Africa, while the University of Nigeria, Nsukka is 3,228th, Obafemi Awolowo University-3,263rd and the University of Lagos- 3,486th, were the fourth fifth and sixth, respectively, in Nigeria.

Others were the Ahmadu Bello University, University of Ilorin-4,302nd, University of Jos 5,681st, Auchi Polytechnic- 254th and the National Open University of Nigeria- 6,576th, which came seventh, eighth, nineth, 10th and 11th, respectively on the African list.

The Auchi Polytechnic, being the 24th in Africa retained its position as the best polytechnic in Nigeria.[color=#006600][/color]

Topping the world list were the Havard University, which maintained its first position followed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University, University of Michigan and the University of California, Berkeley that came second, third, fourth and fifth respectively.

The University of Cape Town dropped to second position in Africa.

The report showed a significant drop in the quality of Nigeria’s tertiary education compared to the previous rankings.

For instance, in the 2011 report, eight institutions in Nigeria made the African best 100 list. They included University of Ilorin (20th), University of Jos (42nd), University of Nigeria, Nsukka (54th), University of Lagos (58th), Obafemi Awolowo University (63rd), Ahmadu Bello University (69th), National Open University of Nigeria (86th) and the University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (95th).

The first five in Africa were the Mauritius Institute of Education, Mauritius (387th in the world), University of Cape Town, South Africa (532th), Rhodes University, South Africa (573rd), Cairo University, Egypt (687th) and the University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa (819th).

In a related development, a report from 24/7 Wall St has listed the United States, Japan, Canada, Norway, Finland, United Kingdom, South Korea, New Zealand, Israel and Australia as countries with the most educated people.

According to the journal, the countries that invest the most in education have the most educated people.

Read 301 times
Re: Protest In Auchi Poly Over Re-appointment Of Rector by davidwemby: 4:54am On Feb 17, 2012
Dr idogho has done a gr8 job in the affairs of auchipoly,she is stil d best rector in terms of development,auchipoly is ranged no.1 In nigeria,all dis tins does not jst come over night,all those jobless youth shud do sometin better wit there time
Re: Protest In Auchi Poly Over Re-appointment Of Rector by Nobody: 9:59am On Feb 17, 2012
we've had several rectors before her, and to be sincere to her effort, she has really done very well. Auchi is my community and the last time i visited i was wondering if this was the auchi i once attended. she really transformed Auchi poly and i have no doubt she will be able to do more.
what the youths are clamouring for is not out of place but from what i am seeing, i think someone that is 'eyeing' that position is the one sponsoring those youth for peace not to reign. i wonder why the youth are demonstrating against her appointment when they should be against those that didn't perform in the past.

(1) (Reply)

WAEC 2019 BIOLOGY Practical Questions & Answers Biology Practical Expo Answers / A University Logo Or A Sleeping Man Face (photo) / The Cheetah Is Not The Fastest Animal: Not What You Think

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.