Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:51 AM

Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. (33366 Views)

Cyber-cafes: Dead And Buried. / Are Webcams Available In Nigerian Cafes In Lagos ? / EFCC Ban On Night Browsing In Cyber-cafes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by omachi1026(m): 12:54pm On Feb 17, 2012
Everybody in the house, need Input on their experience with Thin Client Technology setup!!!!

Best practice in the area and recommendations!!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by amtheone(m): 1:13pm On Feb 17, 2012
Yet to hear!
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by quest4s: 12:18pm On Feb 20, 2012
i have used it for a computer training school wit 10clients, works perfectly. tried it on cafe was also ok but u will encounter some problems as regards the cafe.

1st will be timer,as your regular timers do not support d technology.so getting a timer that works with it is your number 1 problem.

2nd the type of clients that browse in your cafe might be another source of problem.Some people come and start installing all types of stuff and since everything rungs from one system that's enough worries and when you restrict people 4rm installing things you lose some group of customers

3rd Most of the thin clients work with windows xp and most also do not work when an anti-virus is installed on the system so u will have to run it on a system without anti-virus.This means any attack and you are on total shut down except if you have a back up system.

well all these are a few of the problems with thin clien technology that i now of and probably a few that i didnt remember to mention.but for training schools its the best option ever.
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by moscovite: 7:10am On May 15, 2012
quest4$:
i have used it for a computer training school wit 10clients, works perfectly. tried it on cafe was also ok but u will encounter some problems as regards the cafe.

1st will be timer,as your regular timers do not support d technology.so getting a timer that works with it is your number 1 problem.

2nd the type of clients that browse in your cafe might be another source of problem.Some people come and start installing all types of stuff and since everything rungs from one system that's enough worries and when you restrict people 4rm installing things you lose some group of customers

3rd Most of the thin clients work with windows xp and most also do not work when an anti-virus is installed on the system so u will have to run it on a system without anti-virus.This means any attack and you are on total shut down except if you have a back up system.

well all these are a few of the problems with thin clien technology that i now of and probably a few that i didnt remember to mention.but for training schools its the best option ever.

Forget about what Quest4 said. Thin Clients are the best for a cafe. We have been using them for over ten years now and have over 15 cafes scattered all over Nigeria using them only. We have many more built for people. No other system can save you from the wahala of cafe. 

All the problem Quest highlighted are for either a novice in it or someone who is not research and solutions oriented. Let me tackle each one after the other.

1. Timer is a non issue at all. If you are a programmer you will know how to do that. In anycase you know cafes cant work without timers and we have 15 of them.

2.That one is no issue too. What you should know is that thin clients allow you to focus on one computer. The server. you need not worry about others. So. in a cafe of 20 or more systems, you are maintaining only one system. All you need do is to fortify that server. I am not talking anti virus here. We all know antivirus cannot help you in a cafe. We have our own way of fortifying. Thats why we can sit in Lagos and have them in Ibadan, ilorin abuja etc. When you are a programmer and thirsty for solutions you will always find it.

3. Where did he get that from. That anti virus does not protect them. Haba Quest. Obviously you need a professional yourself if you are using one. They are well protected by the server. Maybe what he means is the OS on the thin Client. Well, then use a thin client OS that is not windows based. Let me explain something here. The OS of the thin client does not matter here. What matters is the OS of the server. The thin client eventually works on the OS of the server though it needs a "thin" OS to boot itself before it can now acquire the OS of the server. So use a thin OS that is not windows xp embedded for the thin client and it will acquire your windows XP on your server and all your client are working on windows XP. This way your thin client will never never never never be hit by a virus. And if you fortify your server. Voila. your headaches are over.

If you can solve some of these things and a few others then you will have a completely problem free cafe. What you need to now do is to watch your boys from pilfering your money. Bye bye to engineers

Apart from that you save greatly on fuel. GREATLY!!!

As i said we have been using it for over 10 years now and it has helped us in expanding everywhere. We were not doing it for others in the first 6 years because of a lot of research into it. But we have now started selling OUR OWN THIN CLIENT BASED MODEL to others. 

We have a small cafe in Computer Village in Ikeja and done it for quite a number of cafes now around the country.

So, if you are interested. you better start talking to me.

You can call me to talk on 08052633663
faniyi@yahoo.com
info@surfcity-networks.com

2 Likes

Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by zurine(f): 6:54pm On May 15, 2012
well in the past, cyber cafe used to be the in thing and the only money making venture through which hard wo9rking intelligent young Nigerians could rack their mind and estort some unclean sum from their foreign counterpoint whom they consider as the mugus and the the maga. well that may seem like a fairy tale but it is just as true as believing you need oxygen to be alive! virtually every cyber cafe has a clic or group of these yahoo maga who would spend as much as 16 hours daily perfecting their plan on how to trick the magas into paying huge sums. but, come to think of it, are there no better ways by which an average Nigerian could make clean money by taking advantage of the internet? these and some other questions were what i had in mind when i decided to explore the internet and its possibilities> but thank God, i stumbled over a website, www.edirectsms.com and so an advert where the owner said he could build a bulk sms reseller package website for a very psaltery sum of 10,000 naira. this is only about 4months ago, and today, i run a bulk sms website and have several clients that pay me a very fair sum for the service i render to them. although i may not be a yahoo yahoo millionaire, yet i am contented with the measure of business growth which i have. friends, there are very many legal ways to make clean money here in Nigeria with peace of mind. i enjoin you to consult him. it may be one of those lucky breaks you have been waiting for
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by samuelmag: 11:49am On May 16, 2012
I have worked with thin clients in a cafe before.its a cool technology and it consumes less power,you can connect three thin clients to one ups.you may encounter problems with it if your power is not stable,it may make the systems to freeze when the power goes off but you can solve that by having your switch connected to a UPS.also make sure the thin client server is different from the cafe server or the computer that will be responsible for your printing and network sharing if you are using a modem.preferably dont use the client server for any computer work just boot it and leave it on,it will work better.thin clients can work with any operating system including window 7.you may also encounter a problem with flash drives on thin clients so the only way is to share them from your cafe server or thin client server.hope this was helpful?
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by Ifebazz(m): 8:23am On Jul 14, 2012
@moscovite it seems u kw loads about de thin client tech, tried contacting u via ur tel to no avail. Pls inbox me ur day time tel @ cyprianeboka@gmail.com. In dire need of assistance on setting up a cafe with thin clients. I'd appreciate if u also include details (spec, price, product model etc) in ur msg. Tnx a bunch. Applies to any other person dat feels he can render de service too.
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by Murphy7h4: 9:44am On Jul 14, 2012
Nice work!
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by samfibby(m): 3:37am On Jul 16, 2012
@ Ifebazz. If u are wise enough, u would google and read about this thin client of a thing. The concept behind it is the sharing of files and resources in a network environment to cut down on cost of procurring licenses for computer programs. The thin client was designed for establishments , NGOs or communities that dont have the buying power to procure hardwares and software, instead u simply have to share it from a well fortified server computer. True, u dont have to worry about getting antivirus softwares 4 all computer units, the program simply runs off the server computer. In a nutshell, u would need a lot of intuition and information to make the best of this technology. I used them back in school days, it was quite cool.......
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by Ifebazz(m): 1:07pm On Jul 16, 2012
^if google was de soln to every problem I guess schools wld be clossin dwn by nw! Lol! Anyways I've made my own researches, yet I guess I still need some professional inputs which I seek nw. Tnx all de same
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by pmictltd(m): 8:25pm On Jul 25, 2012
Turn 1 computer into 100 workstations….. Save 75% on Hardware, Save 85% on Maintenance, Save 95% on Power Consumption

Philmore Cafe, pmictltd@yahoo.com, 2348086697100, 2348035173259

Are you planning to own a cyber cafe? Or Do you want to improve your Cyber Cafe Services?

Go for this Internet Cafe Packages Listed Below:
For Standard Cyber Cafe.
Host Server: Duo Core Processor, 4G MEMORY, 120 GB HD
Timer Server: P4. 2GHZ, 1G MEMORY, 80GB HD
Thin Clients: 10 UNITS
Monitor: 12 UNITS
Keyboard: 12 UNITS
Mouse: 12 UNITS
Ups: 2.2Kv: 1 UNIT
Ups: 1.2kv: 1 UNIT
Stabilizer: 5Kv 1 UNIT
Table: client and server
Chair: 1&1/2 DOZEN
Generator: 2.5 Kv
Internet Modem, Networking and Materials
Electrifying the Shop
Cost is N650, 000

Please note shop rent is not inclusive.

Know more about thin client (NComputing) (ultra thin client, PC station, etc.)
It is a network computer developed specially for commercial environments like office, bank, school, internet cafe, government department, factory, etc., to work as the substitute of standard PC.

*Save 75% on your budget *Save 85% on electricity *Generate 95% less heat
Call us today for enquiries on Thin Client/Ncomputers.
Advantages Compare between thin clients/Ncomputers and Standard PC.

Cost-: Thin Clients: 1) Max.40units of Thin Client M-series/L-series can be connected to a standard PC, and then we have 41 computers to use. 2) Only 5 watts power consumption. 3) No charge for the parts of the terminal. Can update through internet

Standard PC: 1) One computer for one user 2) Min 250watts power consumption for one standard PC. 3) Charge for the replacement & upgrade of the standard PC parts in every 2 to 3 years.

Security-: Thin client: Our thin clients – M-HX0U, M-HM0U and 800L doesn’t utilize external storage.

Standard PC: Easy to illegal data leakage & Exposure. Easy destructed by Virus and computer hacking.

Maintenance-: Thin client: Controlling just host computers highly effective centralized control(program installation, deletion and maintenance).

Standard PC: Have to control each individual computers
Environment: Thin Client: No noise, only pleasant and quiet working environment.

Standard PC: Heats and noises from CPU, VGA, HDD, Power Supply Fan, Small working environment.

Portability: Thin client: Portable terminal can be connected with host computer anywhere when internet is ready.

Standard PC: Not available.

Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by langsholt: 12:56am On Aug 19, 2012
Hi
I am looking for investing in start ups in Nigeria or someone thatswants to envolve their business.

I see that you are experienced and know the technical of your business (have read many of your threads).

I have one guy that want to open a internet cafè and needs investment. I done some research and see that there is hard to manage such businesse today. As I understand you manage to run several cafe`s succesful. I understand the concept of right location, cafe concept, include other services etc. You probably have found your key and niche to stay business alive. I also wanna have software so I can monitor up time etc this so I know that partner not trick me for income (this since I not live in Nigeria).

Anyway
I want your advice on doing this business in Nigeria and eventually where to establish. In Lagos or more of the underdeveloped ares, or other?
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by holyprof: 4:46pm On Aug 19, 2012
Hello,
I have 12 Pieces of thins clients for sale at very cheap rates...
with thin clients you can make 1 system into whatever number you want....i have been using it in my cafe but i am closing down the cafe.
they are working perfectly.
please contact me 08128122834 or holyprof@ymail.com
please contact me 08128122834 or holyprof@ymail.com

Ctr and flatscreen monitors are also available if you are interested...... i can deliver to you anywhere in lagos.

thanks for reading.
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by pmictltd(m): 5:57pm On Aug 19, 2012
This is a proposal letter setting up a standard cyber cafe and overview for using thin client/Ncomputing for the cyber cafe instead of standard CPU that consume more time, money and power. Please find the attached document for your consideration in starting the cyber cafe business. Contact me for more information on: 08086697100

Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by moscovite: 10:52am On Aug 20, 2012
I thank a good number of you who have contacted me and showed appreciation for my post. I also noticed that a good number of people simply post the usefullness of thin client without necessarily telling buyers the problems associated with this technology. I also sell thin clients because if you have any chance of surviving in the Cybercafe business, they are your only chance. They are also a good solution for Public Schools in Nigeria. Private Schools may need not have it because they are usually rich. I will explain this.

Problems: There are three major Cafe-Killers. Thin Clients(TC) if properly chosen and deployed with a fortified server, will solve two of these problems in a cafe, Namely power and constant maintenance.   The third being pilfering by attendants.  

How TCs do this:
 Power: TCs will immediately reduce your power consumption by 90%. Most TCs consume within the 2-6watt range as against a whole CPU-80-150watts. 
Case Study:Recently we reorganized a cafe of 50 Systems. Here is what we had before our reorganization. The owner use to run two 6KVA generators. He will only run one of the Gen during the day and limit his system to only 29systems and in the night he runs the two Gen to accommodate 50 systems. By the time we replaced 29 systems with TCs he was already able to use one Gen for the entire 50 systems (29TCs + 21PCs). Now we have replaced all and obviously the 6 KVA gen has now become underutilised. According to him, the Gen he powers during the day consumes a full tank and a quarter(Between 25-30 litres). When he powers both at night he spends 50-60 litres on fuel. In short he claims to spend about 9000 Naira on fuel everyday. Now, because the TCs have made it possible to deploy all 50 systems during the day he makes more money. With the Gen now underutilized fuel consumption is about 20 litres during the day and same at night. He saves 50 litres everyday. 

Maintenance: This is the most crucial deployment of TCs. TCs themselves, depending on the OS installed might never need maintenance. But the TC server needs to be adequately prepared for the task ahead. Here is why. Because TCs process all their activities on the server, the server is much much much vulnerable to malware. If you have an 8 systems cafe, your server is 8 times more likely to be infected than servers deployed using normal systems. If you have 20 it is 20 times. Without adequately taking care of your server you are doomed. This is the major reasons people dont use TCs in cafes. I also notice that sellers keep trying to point out the power advantage while ignoring the Server vulnerability. This of course makes them sell, but in the long run it spoils the TC market, because buyers will eventually encounter the problem. Most people that have called me have this problem. They have bought somewhere else and now have the problem. If they are engineers they can find their way around it. If not, they have to keep calling the seller. This makes nonsense of Maintenance and cancels the advantage inherent in thin clients.
What we have researched and done is to make sure the server is fortified in such a way that if anything goes wrong you are back and running within 3-5  minutes. And this can be done by your Computer-Illiterate attendant. To even avoid anything going wrong, your Computer-Illiterate Attendant can carry out this 3 minutes procedure every morning before starting and you will never experience a crash. But if he forgets and you do then he can do it afterwards and in 3 minutes you are up and running again.
We have our own way of doing this  I do not intend to disclose or discuss it here. I can only advise you to interrogate your sellers on his own method before buying them otherwise you will run into problems. Anti Virus is not a solution and don't let them tell you it is. It has never been a solution for running Cafes even when using a normal PC.

Public Schools: we have done recent deployments for public Schools and one thing has come out of these. Donors who donated computer labs to public school do not know that most public schools end up not using these laboratories. This is because they simply can't afford to buy fuel to power the generators and no donor, after donating all necessary equipment including a generator  wants to be bugged down buying fuel to power the generator on a daily basis. This labs become grossly grossly underutilized, if they are ever utilized. TCs are the solution to this problem. They make it possible to include solar power in the donation without necessarily breaking the bank. And most donors will be able to afford it. Schools will need not buy fuel and labs will be utilized to full capacity. After all schools are open for only 8 hours in a day and closed on Saturday's and Sunday. The sun has enough time to charge batteries. With adequate permutation of batteries the labs can run all the time.

Private schools don't need this. They bill parents enough to power their Gen. 

I forgot to add that our cybercafe model also has a component that adequately addresses the pilfering problem by attendants. This of course is only available to those with three or more cybercafes. If you have only one or two you do not need it and the cost can't be sustained by your two Cafes anyway.

If you are running a cybercafe or you are philantrophist/Donor that wants to donate Computer laboratory to a PUBLIC school, TCs are your only hope of achieving your goals. This isn't a sales pitch but the result of over 10 years of research and practice.

I realized I didn't put my email last time. Here is it 

faniyi@yahoo.com or info@surfcity-networks.com.  
www.surfcity-networks.com. 

1 Like

Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by moscovite: 1:10pm On Aug 31, 2012
Good Morning Nairalanders-Cafe Owners. Get Thin Clients on Credit(Hire Purchase/Lease).

We have  been working on a project to replace conventional PCs  with thin clients for Cafes so that more cafes will become successful. 
Though most owners understand the tremendous advantage of thin clients over legacy systems, most do not have the funds to do this makeover. 
In our style we went out to look for a solution and here is what we have courtesy of a sponsor.

Now we can offer this restructuring plan for any cafe owner with a convenient payment terms. As a pilot we are only doing it for 10 Cafes on a first come first serve basis.

This is what we do:

1. We identify a Cybercafe and pay a visit.
2. As a commitment from the owner we tell him to deposit between 10-50% of the value of the equipment. Depends on our evaluation.
3. We deploy the thin client.  
4. The balance of the equipment will be paid weekly, in equal installments and within three months(For Hire Purchase). 

In the case of LEASING, we will need to discuss with Cafe Owner, as leasing fees are usually lower, duration longer  and property continues to belong to us.

This is why we think payments should not be tough.

1. Cafe owner can sell  his/her PCs 
2. Savings from fuel and maintenance.

This way, sales of old PCs and savings on fuel will be funds that can be applied to the repayment.  

Thin Client Prices range from 6,000 to 15,000 naira. This depends on the following.

Brand: HPCompaq, Wyse, China etc.
Payment Terms: Immediate Payment, Hire Purchase or Lease.

If you are interested, send an email to info@surfcity-networks.com and provide the following:

1. Name of Cafe and Number of Systems
2  How to get to your cafe(Contact address and direction)
3. Name of Contact Person and Telephone Numbers.
4. Which will you prefer: Outright purchase, Hire Purchase or leasing.
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by winnieG1(m): 10:48pm On Oct 04, 2012
@moscovite
is Anambra State Included in your list? setting up 10 computers? what are your repayment plans? i sent u an email
moscovite: Good Morning Nairalanders-Cafe Owners. Get Thin Clients on Credit(Hire Purchase/Lease).

We have  been working on a project to replace conventional PCs  with thin clients for Cafes so that more cafes will become successful. 
Though most owners understand the tremendous advantage of thin clients over legacy systems, most do not have the funds to do this makeover. 
In our style we went out to look for a solution and here is what we have courtesy of a sponsor.

Now we can offer this restructuring plan for any cafe owner with a convenient payment terms. As a pilot we are only doing it for 10 Cafes on a first come first serve basis.

This is what we do:

1. We identify a Cybercafe and pay a visit.
2. As a commitment from the owner we tell him to deposit between 10-50% of the value of the equipment. Depends on our evaluation.
3. We deploy the thin client.  
4. The balance of the equipment will be paid weekly, in equal installments and within three months(For Hire Purchase). 

In the case of LEASING, we will need to discuss with Cafe Owner, as leasing fees are usually lower, duration longer  and property continues to belong to us.

This is why we think payments should not be tough.

1. Cafe owner can sell  his/her PCs 
2. Savings from fuel and maintenance.

This way, sales of old PCs and savings on fuel will be funds that can be applied to the repayment.  

Thin Client Prices range from 6,000 to 15,000 naira. This depends on the following.

Brand: HPCompaq, Wyse, China etc.
Payment Terms: Immediate Payment, Hire Purchase or Lease.

If you are interested, send an email to info@surfcity-networks.com and provide the following:

1. Name of Cafe and Number of Systems
2  How to get to your cafe(Contact address and direction)
3. Name of Contact Person and Telephone Numbers.
4. Which will you prefer: Outright purchase, Hire Purchase or leasing.
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by quest4s: 7:30am On Oct 05, 2012
moscovite:

Forget about what Quest4 said. Thin Clients are the best for a cafe. We have been using them for over ten years now and have over 15 cafes scattered all over Nigeria using them only. We have many more built for people. No other system can save you from the wahala of cafe. 

All the problem Quest highlighted are for either a novice in it or someone who is not research and solutions oriented. Let me tackle each one after the other.

1. Timer is a non issue at all. If you are a programmer you will know how to do that. In anycase you know cafes cant work without timers and we have 15 of them.

2.That one is no issue too. What you should know is that thin clients allow you to focus on one computer. The server. you need not worry about others. So. in a cafe of 20 or more systems, you are maintaining only one system. All you need do is to fortify that server. I am not talking anti virus here. We all know antivirus cannot help you in a cafe. We have our own way of fortifying. Thats why we can sit in Lagos and have them in Ibadan, ilorin abuja etc. When you are a programmer and thirsty for solutions you will always find it.

3. Where did he get that from. That anti virus does not protect them. Haba Quest. Obviously you need a professional yourself if you are using one. They are well protected by the server. Maybe what he means is the OS on the thin Client. Well, then use a thin client OS that is not windows based. Let me explain something here. The OS of the thin client does not matter here. What matters is the OS of the server. The thin client eventually works on the OS of the server though it needs a "thin" OS to boot itself before it can now acquire the OS of the server. So use a thin OS that is not windows xp embedded for the thin client and it will acquire your windows XP on your server and all your client are working on windows XP. This way your thin client will never never never never be hit by a virus. And if you fortify your server. Voila. your headaches are over.

If you can solve some of these things and a few others then you will have a completely problem free cafe. What you need to now do is to watch your boys from pilfering your money. Bye bye to engineers

As i said we have been using it for over 10 years now and it has helped us in expanding everywhere. We were not doing it for others in the first 6 years because of a lot of research into it. But we have now started selling OUR OWN THIN CLIENT BASED MODEL to others. 

We have a small cafe in Computer Village in Ikeja and done it for quite a number of cafes now around the country.

faniyi@yahoo.com

Dear Moscovite lets say you are right and you have indeed been using thin client for the past 10yrs how come you forget to
1. specify the type of system required for thin client so that your buyers do not jump into it thinking they will just integrate it to already exist pentium3 which some of them possibly have.
2. if you say timer is not a problem please share with us here a screenshot of the timer you use on thin client because use seem to know it all and we dont.
3. Moscovite the wise one please if i only have one server and every other thing in my cafe is a thin client what will happen to everybody in my cafe if the server suddenly breaksdown,will every customer eat me alive or will they be happy customers smiling at while i try to explain to all of them that their work is gone.
4. Well on the issue of anti-virus are you aware that there are thin clients that will not connect to the host server if you have an anti-virus installed on it.
5. Lastly while you try to reply please stick to the truth and don't try to score points because you have thin clients to sell and spend more time educating your prospects on the down side of thin client than try to scream thin client is the solution because it is the easier thin to do when you need money.Tell you prospect for example that having just one server without an already installed backup server spells doom for him and his business. SAY THE TRUTH DON'T LIE JUST BECAUSE YOU NEED MONEY

thanks
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by Dipsondolp(m): 10:06pm On Feb 05, 2013
Closed!
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by kisibo: 1:40pm On Feb 20, 2013
i have interest in the thin client and i will get back to you..k
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by suru45: 8:36pm On Mar 02, 2013
In order to prepare for a sudden break down of the main server a backup server is a must. How can one add a second server in a thin network?
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by suru45: 8:42pm On Mar 02, 2013
Since a backup server is necessary how do you add this additional server to a thin network?
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by adetwin(m): 4:33am On Mar 03, 2013
suru45: In order to prepare for a sudden break down of the main server a backup server is a must. How can one add a second server in a thin network?

Is just by preparing a system available shud incase .....Contact ADETWIN IT CONCEPT ENT. We are into all kinds of IT SUPPORT Tel: 07082998588,08133018196
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by brightk(m): 8:30pm On Mar 03, 2013
moscovite:

faniyi@yahoo.com

ah ba nigerians.. nor be only since 10yrs na 20yrs.. wen tin client come out
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by winnieG1(m): 11:31am On Mar 04, 2013
Using thin client for cyber cafe is the best option now, you can see in detail how to set it up and run it in the link below

http://www.naijamotions.com/t87-how-to-setup-mini-cybercafe#122
Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by moscovite: 11:01am On Mar 06, 2013
quest4$:

Dear Moscovite lets say you are right and you have indeed been using thin client for the past 10yrs how come you forget to 
1. specify the type of system required for thin client so that your buyers do not jump into it thinking they will just integrate it to already exist pentium3 which some of them possibly have.
2. if you say timer is not a problem please share with us here a screenshot of the timer you use on thin client because use seem to know it all and we dont.
3. Moscovite the wise one please if i only have one server and every other thing in my cafe is a thin client what will happen to everybody in my cafe if the server suddenly breaksdown,will every customer eat me alive  or will they be happy customers smiling at while i try to explain to all of them that their work is gone.
4. Well on the issue of anti-virus are you aware that there are thin clients that will not connect to the host server if you have an anti-virus installed on it.
5. Lastly while you try to reply please stick to the truth and don't try to score points because you have thin clients to sell and spend more time educating your prospects on the down side of thin client than try to scream thin client is the solution because it is the easier thin to do when you need money.Tell you prospect for example that having just one server without an already installed backup server spells doom for him and his business. SAY THE TRUTH DON'T LIE JUST BECAUSE YOU NEED MONEY

thanks

@quest

Sorry I haven't been following this thread for quite sometime. I would have replied you promptly. Seems I have to come here often because of people like you.
Obviously you know little about the way the system works. I don't blame you because it took us over 6-8 years to work out the perfect network and configuration to drive these systems seemlessly in a cafe environment. 

Let me tell you THE TRUTH, since you have demanded it. I will tackle the questions you raised one after another and number them the same way you did.

1. Why should they jump into it. If you have been driving an S-Class all your life do you suddenly jump into piloting a plane. Abi what kind of statement is that. I have giving arguments why thin clients is far far better. I think it is the other persons responsibility to make sure he fully understands it well before delving into it. This is done on individual basis. Different people already know they don't need a Pentium 3  so they ask other questions. Am i suppose to already know all their questions and write on everything here. I am not God and your statement need not make me think i should be and write everything in the world about thin client. You could have chipped the "DONT USE Pentium 3" bit in yourself for the dumb ones who want to start piloting a plane after going to driving school. 
You also need not attack the person. Attack and counter the debate or message. 

2. You have not employed me to lecture everyone on thin client. If you are trying to get more on what you don't know you need not do it so negatively. Admit you don't know, call and let's talk. I have my own work. I am not going to start spending hours upon hours on Nairaland just because a Quest is trying to get information and going about it negatively. I can say there are a lot of timer out there. Do your research yourself quest. Do a little bit of work. I have laid down the principles why you HAVE to use thin clients in cybercafes now. I have 15 of them and have done for a lot more all over the country. As I am writing I have 6 deployments to do this week. So pls don't patronize or deceive others that in cafe business Pentium 4 systems is still the way to go.

3. Quest, if i unleash my experience here on this 3rd question you will definitely feel embarassed at the question. It will be obvious you are trying to score cheap. First and foremost, a sever suddenly shutting down is different from it going down(spoiling).

Case 1: COMPUTER SHUTDOWN.(Most times because of power):

If it shuts down then everyone losses his/her work on the Ram but not saved ones on the hard drive. This is true for both normal cafe systems and thin client systems.
In this case thin client technology comes tops. Why? If you have a 20 PC system cafe, you will require 21 very good UPS to avoid such problem so that your customers will retain their RAM based work.(20system +Server)
In thin Client technology you need only 1(One) very good UPS to achieve this. 
Is there any comparison. 1 to 20.
The lesson this teaches, and which I tell my client always is "The Server is the only thing you have to watch over-JUST ONE COMPUTER" If you are so careless that you can't take very very good care of one computer then get out of the business. SHIKENAH!

CASE2: COMPUTER SPOIL

When a computer goes bad it goes off. So in any case everyting on the RAM is lost.  In the case of thin clients everything not saved at that moment is lost.Same as normal PC. But, unless the hard drive is the cause of the sudden problem, everything saved on the drive remains. So UNLESS the Hard drive irretrievably crashes everyone can retrieve all their saved materials, be it in a thin client environment or normal system.
 If the hard drive crashes then no one can retrieve anything. But then, studying a cafe environment their are factors that makes it quite different from an office environment or a school one and still makes thin client comes top.

First and foremost, a cafe is a public place. Most people will not store their important or private files on the system. Equally, Anybody that stores files out there should expect not to meet it sometimes because Cafes do format their systems all the time. So really, from a policy point of view a customer is not expected to store very important files on the system. I havent heard of any cafe that sends sms out to its customers that they want to format system number 12 so everybody should come and remove their files from it. In actual fact most sensible cafes use deepfreeze which does not allow any storage unless you create a deepfreeze-free partition. So, really cafe goers bring their flash drive. That is why we make sure servers prepared by us for thin clients accept flash always. 
If you look at it from this policy point of view it really doesn't matter if the hard drive crashes in a cafe environment.

Experience have shown that hard drives don't spoil that easily. Some of my thin clients cafe have been running for 3-4 years without a HDD change. The minimal I know is 2 years.

In any case, since thin clients all depend on one Server, then have a standby replica of your thin client server tucked away in a corner. Ever heard of "Redundant Severs"?. 
So, Immediately one goes down, within three minutes you are up and running again. You can then go and change what went wrong in the first server and put it aside as redundant or change it back the next day. 

I don't know what thin clients you use but I havent seen an antivirus that stops my thin clients from functioning properly and I have used so many different ones until i settled for the ones that suited me. I think you must definitely be doing something very very wrong. 
So I haven't seen. Maybe if you tell me about your case I could actually point out what you are doing wrong.
Let me also say, that if you are the type that runs all those CDs before your thin client can run on an XP or non-Server based windows then off course the anti-virus may see some files on those CDs as virus. I don't use those CDs. I tried the NComputing ones in the past and had to abandon it because of it's many wahala when it comes to cafe. Most Chinese ones are made likewise. 

Secondly, it is obvious you are a bloody novice in cafe or a non-progressive cafe owner. Since when has anti-virus been so important to a cafe. The experienced ones know that anti-virus is a decoration in Cafes and most experienced Cafes dont even use it. They are more a menace than a helper in the business.

I have anti virus in some of my Cafes because some of my attendants feel comfortable to have them. Some don't have because they delete people's important files on their flash. So, it depends. To me they are mere decoration. They are worthless. A lot of my experience cafe-owner customers tell me to remove them. 

5.Mr. Quest. Just because you don't know much about a technology doesn't mean you should disparage it. Take a cue from lessons of old where the Church and the Powers that be believed that you will fall off at the end of the earth and crucified scientists for saying the world was round. Today we know better.

1 Like

Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by moscovite: 11:17am On Mar 06, 2013
brightk:

ah ba nigerians.. nor be only since 10yrs na 20yrs.. wen tin client come out

Thin Clients have forever been! In the days before PCs they had mainframes. You access those mainframe through terminals. Terminal is a different name for Thin Client. It never went even after PCs became the in-thing. Companies like WYSE, now DellWyse continued to make them. Now they are receiving attention again. So be wise and read up on them since you use Internet.
They have also been in Nigeria since. I remember using Wyse terminals in the late 80s in a computer firm in Lagos. So just because you are just hearing of them doesn't mean they haven't been around in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. by pmictltd(m): 11:32pm On Mar 06, 2013
This is a true talk
moscovite:

Thin Clients have forever been! In the days before PCs they had mainframes. You access those mainframe through terminals. Terminal is a different name for Thin Client. It never went even after PCs became the in-thing. Companies like WYSE, now DellWyse continued to make them. Now they are receiving attention again. So be wise and read up on them since you use Internet.
They have also been in Nigeria since. I remember using Wyse terminals in the late 80s in a computer firm in Lagos. So just because you are just hearing of them doesn't mean they haven't been around in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Laptop Was Drenched In Water While I Was Walking In The Heavy Rain Yesterday / Full Meanings Of Some Virtual Networking Systems You May Not Know / Check Out Brand New Laptop Prices In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.