Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,642 members, 7,809,408 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:05 AM

If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? (3512 Views)

Meet Woman Who Was Greater Than Virgin Mary In The Bible / If Weed Plant Is From God Then Why Will It Be A Sin If You Use It / If Jesus Is Not The Son Of God, Then Who Is His Father? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Feb 20, 2012
Simples !!

Jesus Christ was fully Man and is fully GOD.

Let us revisit some biblical verses :

And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death--even death on a cross - Philippians 2:8

Psalm 8:5 You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor.
Psalm 8:6 You made him ruler over the works of your hands; you put everything under his feet

"But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone." - Hebrews 2:9

Our Lord Jesus Christ, when on earth , emptied himself of all the benefits of his divinity and became a MAN that he might taste death and become an atonement for the sins of all mankind.

He was empowered by the Spirit of GOD to achieve this end, forming a pattern that we must all follow , which is to be filled with the Spirit of GOD and walk as Jesus walked.

This signifies total dependence on GOD.

However when risen and now in Heaven, he is back to the state of Glory in which he was prior to his coming to earth.

On earth Jesus Christ was subject to God the father, and yet this same Son was called everlasting Father in Isaiah 9:6, this is a mystery.

In summary the Father and Son and Spirit are one.

This is the state of our Lord now that he has overcome.

"When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last." - Revelation 1:17

Exodus 3:6 Then he said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob." At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.

Isaiah 41:4 Who has done this and carried it through, calling forth the generations from the beginning? I, the LORD--with the first of them and with the last--I am he."

Isaiah 44:6 "This is what the LORD says--Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.

Isaiah 48:12 "Listen to me, O Jacob, Israel, whom I have called: I am he; I am the first and I am the last."

Ezekiel 1:28 Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. When I saw it, I fell facedown, and I heard the voice of one speaking.

Revelation 22:13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

" Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them" - Revelation 20:11
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by lepasharon(f): 6:43pm On Feb 20, 2012
You are suffering from religious psychosis.
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by numo86(m): 6:50pm On Feb 20, 2012
its simple , he's Father is greater than he is & Jesus is lesser than his Father, As simple as ABC,
Jesus came from heaven & opened his mouth to say such because he has always been subject to his Father & will forever be,
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Feb 20, 2012
frosbel, let me help you out of your confusion. you need pu.s.s.y to get your head straight.
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by dare2think: 7:30pm On Feb 20, 2012
shocked

So, are you making him an offer?

Lol.
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by UyiIredia(m): 8:01pm On Feb 20, 2012
It's hard to explain it. Jesus can't be God in the same way that somebody can say he's greater than everybody.

It's like this story: Mr Nobody met Mr Somebody & asked to be taken to be Mr Everybody. Mr Somebody replied by saying that Mr Everybody couldn't be found yet. Mr Nobody insisted, so Mr Somebody took Mr Nobody to Mr Everybody. When they saw Mr Everybody, Mr Nobody asked who Mr Everybody was.  Mr Everybody replied that he was somebody who could be seen by nobody.

Jesus must strictly be understood as The Avatar amidst fellow avatars. I think humans find it hard to appreciate that God considers men to be gods too. Same way you won't say your image isn't you, though, you can't feel it. Consider what God said in Gen 3:22: "And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil." This is why humanity rebels against the idea of one man having power over all. Truth is, such nonsense is impossible.
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by Goshen360(m): 8:04pm On Feb 20, 2012
diluminati:

frosbel, let me help you out of your confusion. you need pu.s.s.y to get your head straight.

Smh, na wha for u o. you r too raw.
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by VivianSA: 8:24pm On Feb 20, 2012
frosbel:
Simples !!

Jesus Christ was fully Man and is fully GOD.

Let us revisit some biblical verses :

And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death--even death on a cross - Philippians 2:8

Psalm 8:5 You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor.
Psalm 8:6 You made him ruler over the works of your hands; you put everything under his feet

"But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone." - Hebrews 2:9

Our Lord Jesus Christ, when on earth , emptied himself of all the benefits of his divinity and became a MAN that he might taste death and become an atonement for the sins of all mankind.

He was empowered by the Spirit of GOD to achieve this end, forming a pattern that we must all follow , which is to be filled with the Spirit of GOD and walk as Jesus walked.

This signifies total dependence on GOD.

However when risen and now in Heaven, he is back to the state of Glory in which he was prior to his coming to earth.

On earth Jesus Christ was subject to God the father, and yet this same Son was called everlasting Father in Isaiah 9:6, this is a mystery.

In summary the Father and Son and Spirit are one.

This is the state of our Lord now that he has overcome.

"When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last." - Revelation 1:17

Exodus 3:6 Then he said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob." At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.

Isaiah 41:4 Who has done this and carried it through, calling forth the generations from the beginning? I, the LORD--with the first of them and with the last--I am he."

Isaiah 44:6 "This is what the LORD says--Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.

Isaiah 48:12 "Listen to me, O Jacob, Israel, whom I have called: I am he; I am the first and I am the last."

Ezekiel 1:28 Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. When I saw it, I fell facedown, and I heard the voice of one speaking.

Revelation 22:13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

" Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them" - Revelation 20:11

These are good scriptures you quoted. But if you can go back to the PREFACE of the bible you used to get this scriptures you will see that the Isaiah and Ezekiel scriptures you quoted with a rendering of LORD, from the preface of the bible you used to quote the above scriptures I am almost certain you will notice the translaters of the bible you have used mentions that translators opted to translate the tetragrammaton YHWH into 'LORD' in an effort to keep the tetragrammaton YHWH devine.
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by Image123(m): 9:34pm On Feb 20, 2012
The OP already answerEd the question. Seems he was seeking more discussion on the issue. Christ Jesus the man, the lamb was made lower so it's obvious that the Father's greater than Him. But God the Son is co-equal, same glory same honour same power same divinity through eternity, as God the Father and God the Spirit.
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Feb 20, 2012
These are good scriptures you quoted. But if you can go back to the PREFACE of the bible you used to get this scriptures you will see that the Isaiah and Ezekiel scriptures you quoted with a rendering of LORD, from the preface of the bible you used to quote the above scriptures I am almost certain you will notice the translaters of the bible you have used mentions that translators opted to translate the tetragrammaton YHWH into 'LORD' in an effort to keep the tetragrammaton YHWH devine.

Kindly quote the original Hebrew for me, and we will take it from there.
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by numo86(m): 10:41pm On Feb 20, 2012
Image123:

The OP already answerEd the question. Seems he was seeking more discussion on the issue. Christ Jesus the man, the lamb was made lower so it's obvious that the Father's greater than Him. But God the Son is co-equal, same glory same honour same power same divinity through eternity, as God the Father and God the Spirit.

Did Jesus ever open his mouth to explain what u just explained or are u the 1 insinuating d reason why Jesus said the Father is greater than i am??,
Did Jesus ever tell u that it was becos he was in human flesh thats why he's Father was greater than he was?,
Was it not d same Jesus u guys quote while on earth that still used his (human form) mouth to say if u'v seen me, u've seen d Father??
you guys have a flimsy reason to give(saying he was in human flesh) when Jesus said his Father is greater than he is , but when he says still in d human form that if" u'v seen me u'v seen d Father" u guys rush to interprete it literally becos it suits d trinity teaching, no be so?
who told u d Father is not still greater than Jesus after Jesus's ascension?,
Its like u forget why Jesus is sitting on d right hand side of Yahweh and not sharing d same spot with Yahweh,
Why will i allow my equal to sit on a throne while i sit @ his right hand(a subordinate position/the sit of the son of a king)
All what Jesus said while on earth is who Jesus is, flesh or with no flesh Jesus has always been subordinate to his Father & forever will be, read 1 corinthians 15:27 & 28,
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by Image123(m): 11:48pm On Feb 20, 2012
^you need revelation.
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:37am On Feb 21, 2012
Is The Father "Greater" Than Jesus?

Some cults and false religions object that because Jesus said the Father is "greater" than Him (John 14:28), this must mean Jesus is a lesser God.  Biblically, however, Jesus is equal with the Father in His divine nature (John 10:30).  He was positionally lower than the Father from the standpoint of His becoming a servant by taking on human likeness (Philipians 2:6-11).  Positionally, then, the Father was "greater" than Jesus.
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by Sweetnecta: 2:36am On Feb 21, 2012
^Olaadegbu knows Jesus more than Jesus knew himself.
When Jesus was praying and begging, he was not actually praying and begging if we let Olaadegbu tell us the story.
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by numo86(m): 5:56am On Feb 21, 2012
@image, have u read 1corinthians 15;27 & 28??
Please explain it, u either tell me wethher paul was drunk when he wrote those words or wether Jesus was still on earth with flesh & blood,
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by nuclearboy(m): 7:20am On Feb 21, 2012
@numo86:

While attacking Image123, could you please ask yourself this - You say Jesus is seated ON THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD and NOT sharing the same spot! But is there right hand side and left hand side in the Spirit? Or in Heaven?

Did you ever consider that these words were purely descriptive of "standing" or do you expect Jesus is some kind of Chief, the Holy Ghost another chief, Michael is another chief etc while God is the one they prostrate in front of?

"comparing spiritual things to spiritual things" is what you might want to remember here
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by numo86(m): 8:53am On Feb 21, 2012
@nuclear boy, please tell me what d expression "sit @ my right hand", please explain,
I'm not even lookin @ it from d physical aspect that Jesus will literally sit down on Gods right hand, i'm speaking from d symbolic view ,
That sitting @ 1's right hand shows subordinance,
Thats d point, Yahweh is the 1 exalting Jesus to even that position not Jesus assuming it,
There is virtually nothing that Jesus owns or have that wasnt given to him by Yahweh, All d power Jesus has was given & bestowed upon him by some1 greater, didnt u read when Jesus said he does nothing except what his Father tells him to do??Jesus recieves commands & he obeys quikly,
Jesus is to sit @ d right hand(subordinate)!!!, whether Jesus stands or sit does not affect his being lesser than Yahweh his Father, mayb u might start asking me if Yahweh is standing or sitting as well, symbollicaly speaking Jesus is still subordinate accordin to revelations
Have u read 1 corinthians 15:27 & 28,
Please read,
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:10am On Feb 21, 2012
Sweetnecta:

^Olaadegbu knows Jesus more than Jesus knew himself.
When Jesus was praying and begging, he was not actually praying and begging if we let Olaadegbu tell us the story.

So you think that because Jesus prayed to the Father, He could not truly be God? If you are to know according to the Truth Book, it was in His humanity that Christ prayed to the Father and since Christ came as a man, and since one of the proper duties of man is to worship, pray to and adore God -- it was perfectly proper for Jesus to address the Father in prayer. Positionally speaking as a man, as a Jew and as our High Priest -- "in all things He had to be made like His brethren" (Hebrews 2:7) -- Jesus could pray to the Father. But this in no way detracts from His intrinsic deity.
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by jayriginal: 9:52am On Feb 21, 2012
diluminati:

dare2think:

shocked

So, are you making him an offer?

Lol.

Hehehe
You beat me to it. grin
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by Image123(m): 4:53pm On Feb 23, 2012
numo86:

@nuclear boy, please tell me what d expression "sit @ my right hand", please explain,
I'm not even lookin @ it from d physical aspect that Jesus will literally sit down on Gods right hand, i'm speaking from d symbolic view ,
That sitting @ 1's right hand shows subordinance,
Thats d point, Yahweh is the 1 exalting Jesus to even that position not Jesus assuming it,
There is virtually nothing that Jesus owns or have that wasnt given to him by Yahweh, All d power Jesus has was given & bestowed upon him by some1 greater, didnt u read when Jesus said he does nothing except what his Father tells him to do??Jesus recieves commands & he obeys quikly,
Jesus is to sit @ d right hand(subordinate)!!!, whether Jesus stands or sit does not affect his being lesser than Yahweh his Father, mayb u might start asking me if Yahweh is standing or sitting as well, symbollicaly speaking Jesus is still subordinate accordin to revelations
Please read,
Stop building stuff from nothing in the air. God is at my right hand too(psalm 121), so from your deductions, God is subordinate to me.
Consider these two passages below, one talks of the Father at Jesus the Son's right hand BTW shocked
Psa 109:31 For he shall stand at the right hand of the poor, to save him from those that condemn his soul.

Psa 110:4 The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.
Psa 110:5 The Lord at thy right hand shall strike through kings in the day of his wrath.
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by DeepSight(m): 5:10pm On Feb 23, 2012
Frosbel, I sense a stirring in your spirit. You are grappling with doctrines that obviously make little sense. I see that you are continuously creating answers to satisfy yourself. That is okay. What is important is that your spirit is obviously prodding you to ask questions about these things. In the fullness of time you will realize that Jesus was just a Jewish Rabbi and perfectly human just as you and myself are. When you realize that, it will be a huge step towards understanding that each man must take personal responsibility for himself and his Karma. We can lean on no one in the matter of salvation - save on our conscience.

Jesus was not the first, and will not be the last, that large swathes of humanity have declared to be Almighty God. Its hero worship: and it occurs most with regard to spiritual leaders. It is wholly false: and even blasphemous. Liberate yourself from it.

Any person who has even a faint glimmer of what the eternal element that is descibed as God is, will never imagine for even one second that any single human being is himself exclusively God.

Jesus was a human being.
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by Image123(m): 5:32pm On Feb 23, 2012
Please read,
This is the passage, ihope?

1Corinth 15:27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
1Corinth 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

My question to you is IS JESUS THE SON PRESENTLY/CURRENTLY SUBJECT TO GOD? Because that passage seems to read that when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him. Can you explain that part, cos it appears you're seeing something we're not seeing here?
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by DeepSight(m): 5:46pm On Feb 23, 2012
^ Bros stop struggling with all these lies. abeg just live according to conscience. simple.
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by Image123(m): 5:51pm On Feb 23, 2012
Deep Sight:

^ Bros stop struggling with all these lies. abeg just live according to conscience. simple.
i do not think i'm in a struggle as regards this. Thank you for your advice deepS
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by DeepSight(m): 6:13pm On Feb 23, 2012
^ But there is a struggle na. All power has been given to him. By whom? Who gives the power and who takes the power? The same person? He sits at teh right hand side of Someone. Sitting at the right hand side of himself. He approaches the throne and gives obeisance to God. And yet he is the same God. He is said to be subject to God. And yet he is the same sovereign God who is subject to none. He says the father is greater than him. And yet he is the same father. You cannot be equal to yourself. Once u talk about equality, you are referring to two entities, and not one. His disciple calls him good. He says o no, I am not good, only God is good. And yet, he is the self same God. I tire abeg. Make I jus sharrrap for hia before dem abuse me again.
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by muyoto: 9:08pm On Feb 23, 2012
interesting. . .
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Feb 23, 2012
Deep Sight:

^ But there is a struggle na. All power has been given to him. By whom? Who gives the power and who takes the power? The same person? He sits at teh right hand side of Someone. Sitting at the right hand side of himself. He approaches the throne and gives obeisance to God. And yet he is the same God. He is said to be subject to God. And yet he is the same sovereign God who is subject to none. He says the father is greater than him. And yet he is the same father. You cannot be equal to yourself. Once u talk about equality, you are referring to two entities, and not one. His disciple calls him good. He says o no, I am not good, only God is good. And yet, he is the self same God. I tire abeg. Make I jus sharrrap for hia before dem abuse me again.

you didnt quote any scriptures but you made complete sense!
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by MyJoe: 11:13pm On Feb 23, 2012
Deep Sight:

Frosbel, I sense a stirring in your spirit. You are grappling with doctrines that obviously make little sense. I see that you are continuously creating answers to satisfy yourself. That is okay. What is important is that your spirit is obviously prodding you to ask questions about these things.
Yes. Na so e dey start. Guy reminds me of secondary school grammar class as he shifts from the imperative mood to the inquisitive, from exposing "falsehood" to questioning "truth".

As he progresses in this sunset journey, he will soon find the answers he plucks out of his hat comprehensively dwarfed by his enquiries and starkly untenable, and then a serious "soul searching" will take place before co.ck crow. The denoument is not predictable at this point but it will be earth-shaking, as it will make the epiphany that spurn his abnegation of Zionism "child's play."
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by Image123(m): 1:19am On Feb 24, 2012
Deep Sight:

OOPs, i see you're in some straits unfortunately. Sorry ehn, na spiritual matter, and am in no struggle whatsoever concerning this. thank you again. God the Son left His glory, to become the Son of man, Jesus the Christ. Hoping that may make little sense to you.
John 17:5  And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
As/in position of man/Messiah, He had to be subject, learn obedience etc. But there was no such thing before C.E, neither is there in His essence as God the Son.
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by bashydemy(m): 7:13am On Feb 24, 2012
@topic maybe he is confused
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by numo86(m): 8:05am On Feb 24, 2012
@image123, can u please show me that expression "God the son" in the bible??, just show me and I'l concede to this man made,pagan doctrine called trinity,
Somebody just told u and asked u who gave Jesus d power he has,u havnt answered,
If u can't fully understand 1corinthians 15:27 $ 28 then u need a doctor to chek on ur brain, sorry I said that!!, lol
Just show me the expressions "God the son" and
"God the holy spirit" in the bible then I go join ona worship 3 GODs in 1,
All over the bible we always see d expression "God the father" referring to Yahweh,
But I can bet we havnt seen the other expressions b4 in d whole bible,
I want u to realy realise how man made d trinity doctrine is, all d expressions attached to trinity,and the word trinity  itself doesn't exist in the bible, what more do u need to see how useless d doctrine is!!!!,
It is becos of this same doctrine that catholics now pray through mary, why?? Because they'v made d ordained mediator(Jesus) between man and Yahweh as the almighty God,
If Jesus our mediator $ high priest now becomes the God we should worship , who will mediate and intercede for us?and to whom?
will Jesus mediate to himself and carry our sacrifices to himself?ehhhh?
Common sense should just let trinitarians hw foolish there man made doctrine is,
It is becos of this foolishness that many jews cannot embrace christianity,
Jesus himself said this" listen o isreal Yahweh our God is 1 Yahweh". , what else do u image123 and ur cohorts want?,
It is becos of this same doctrine that OOO olumba people worship that black calabar man and his children @ calabar, why?because they claim he is d helper Jesus promised his disciples God will send, and since d trinity dogma teaches d holy spirit is a person $ is God, they nw worship a man becos they feel he is d helper,
The trinity teachn has brought nothing but idolatry and foolishness,
Costantine must pay for this!!!
Re: If Jesus Is God, Then Why Did He Say The Father Was Greater Than He? by Atheists: 8:11am On Feb 24, 2012
If the father is mightier than the son, then is this a monotheistic religion ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Happy Birthday Pastor Chris Oyakhilome PhD. / Pentecostal Churches And Our Lord's Prayer. / Shari'ah: The Great Brain Robbery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.