Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,206 members, 7,818,704 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

Black American Meeting His Parents For The First Time - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Black American Meeting His Parents For The First Time (1667 Views)

Nigerian Men Vs Black-American Men! / Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? / Proper Greeting For Black American Meeting Boyfriend's Nigerian Mother (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black American Meeting His Parents For The First Time by LegalDiva: 4:57am On Feb 21, 2012
In Mid March I will finally meet my boyfriend's parents and I'm scared to death. Any tips I know with meeting the parents you should always be respectful but I just want to make sure I don't say the things you're not supposed to say etc or defy any cultural norms. Oh and he's Igbo!
Re: Black American Meeting His Parents For The First Time by EEngineer1(m): 3:06pm On Feb 22, 2012
Well u cant speak d language neither do u know d culture but i guess his parents already know that, dont try to be ibo jst try to respect ibo. D most important thing is being respectful and submissive. There is no need to be scared, am ibo and i can confidently say the ibos r very hospitable, his parents wont try to interrogate u fiercely neither will they show u their negative notion about u but u hv to be careful to show them by ur respectful character wat their son wud benefit 4rm u instead of d regular cultured ibo girl. Goodluck
Re: Black American Meeting His Parents For The First Time by ifyalways(f): 3:27pm On Feb 22, 2012
^A choro m ikpo gi ewu awusa but I cant bring myself to.Onye bekee/onye obia dere Igbo,I zuzuru ka ugbo oloko na e nweghi brake ede BS ibo. ibo kuwa gi isi ebe ahu.

@Topic,Just be your normal self.Don't :
Go out of your way to impress them
show them that you are intelligent/they are dumb
Buy presents or give cash gifts in exchange for their love/acceptance.
Show geniune interest in them,their food,way of life and culture.Ask questions.
Dont force conversations,it should flow naturally.
Re: Black American Meeting His Parents For The First Time by EEngineer1(m): 5:33pm On Feb 22, 2012
ifyalways:

^A choro m ikpo gi ewu awusa but I cant bring myself to.Onye bekee/onye obia dere Igbo,I zuzuru ka ugbo oloko na e nweghi brake ede BS ibo. ibo kuwa gi isi ebe ahu.

u r nutin more than an animal. Bastard so u couldnt understand dat i meant igbo. Amosu, ara gbabuo gi, otu nne gi, anuofia
Re: Black American Meeting His Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 5:37pm On Feb 22, 2012
E-Engineer:

Well u cant speak d language neither do u know d culture but i guess his parents already know that, dont try to be ibo jst try to respect ibo. D most important thing is being respectful and submissive. There is no need to be scared, am ibo and i can confidently say the ibos r very hospitable, his parents wont try to interrogate u fiercely neither will they show u their negative notion about u but u hv to be careful to show them by ur respectful character wat their son wud benefit 4rm u instead of d regular cultured ibo girl. Goodluck

E-Engineer:

u r nutin more than an animal. Bastard so u couldnt understand dat i meant igbo. Amosu, ara gbabuo gi, otu nne gi, anuofia

Wow!! Just shot yourself in both foot in one standing.
Re: Black American Meeting His Parents For The First Time by ifyalways(f): 6:29pm On Feb 22, 2012
E-Engineer:

LOL
Ga nojuo odu otu ebe.
Osukosu sugbo gi.
I bacha nba,i ga rie nshi afo osisa.

O buru na i bughi "Osu",kedu ka i ga-esi akpo onwe gi onye ibo?Ibo awu aha ndi ole?
Otondo.
Rofl.
Re: Black American Meeting His Parents For The First Time by DaRapture: 7:01am On Apr 28, 2012
Damn, them Igbo love them some Akata love. The number of Igbo/BA couplings/marriages is off the charts these days.
Re: Black American Meeting His Parents For The First Time by Sugardiva(f): 12:53pm On May 02, 2012
@ OP Mid march has come and gone. C'mon tell us how it went.

(1) (Reply)

Is Esu Really Satan? By Babalawo Familusi Awolola / See The Country Where Women Are Flogged Mercilessly In Order To Show Love / Oriki Ooni Of Ife, Oonirisa Adeyeye Ogunwusi (ojaja II)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.