Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,481 members, 7,816,135 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? (16728 Views)

The Major Cause Of Tyre Burst Accidents In Nigeria ( Pictures Included ) / Can This Hilarious Sign Post Deter Drivers From Over Speeding? - OMG / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? by Jiah011(f): 8:38pm On Feb 22, 2012
What is over-speeding when there are no speed limits in the first place! Talk less of speed limits, are there regulations/ schools that people must pass to get a drivers license? Everyone one wants to sing and dance when they get a car, but one should ask "Do you know how to even drive?" And if there are laws, who enforces the laws? You mean the fake Naija, shoot-at-will police that break laws rather than upholding laws. I was amazed when I visited Naija and saw the police driving backwards on a one way street (a very busy one at that) and I thought to myself, if they can do it, what makes anyone think they have to follow those yeye laws. Nigerians do not even know the meaning of yielding! Two people will fight at one junction to go first, when all that should be done is for one person to let the other one go first! They will both still get to their destination, and faster too  tongue.

Poor Nigerian roads are a product of the undeveloped and corrupt society- Driving illiteracy, poor roads, general lawlessness. Over speeding, abi! Where are the speed limits written to inform the public and what consequences are there if you break the speed limit? None! So people will continue to be wasted on the roads for no reason. #NigerianProblems
Re: Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? by Skywalker5(m): 8:42pm On Feb 22, 2012
Jiah011:

What is over-speeding when there are no speed limits in the first place! Talk less of speed limits, are there regulations/ schools that people must pass to get a drivers license? Everyone one wants to sing and dance when they get a car, but one should ask "Do you know how to even drive?" And if there are laws, who enforces the laws? You mean the fake Naija, shoot-at-will police that break laws rather than upholding laws. I was amazed when I visited Naija and saw the police driving backwards on a one way street (a very busy one at that) and I thought to myself, if they can do it, what makes anyone think they have to follow those yeye laws. Nigerians do not even know the meaning of yielding! Two people will fight at one junction to go first, when all that should be done is for one person to let the other one go first! They will both still get to their destination, and faster too  tongue.

Poor Nigerian roads are a product of the undeveloped and corrupt society- Driving illiteracy, poor roads, general lawlessness. Over speeding, abi! Where are the speed limits written to inform the public and what consequences are there if you break the speed limit? None! So people will continue to be wasted on the roads for no reason. #NigerianProblems

i think we have speed limit sign ooo. werepeLeri just finished a project on that but he said its for animals not people, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? by PeeDaVinci: 8:46pm On Feb 22, 2012
bad/damaged/poorly constructed roads (linked to govt)
lack of road signs and markings  (linked to govt)
untrained drivers  (linked to govt not properly regulating licensing, u dont even have to go to licensing office to get a licence)
driving of cars not road worthy  (linked to govt not properly regulating MOT issuance)

reckless driving, DUI (linked to the driver)
travelling with damaged car in the name of managing (linked to driver)
overspeeding (linked to drivers)

police checkpoints
frsc and police not doing their jobs on the road
Re: Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? by bakila: 9:25pm On Feb 22, 2012
Bad roads seem to compete with recklessness in overtaking over speeding as the major cause of accident on our roads.
Lack of shoulder a commom gear of our road remove a key safety component of a road allowing for emergency swerving. It narrows the road for reckless drivers to collide and lead to loss of lives. Some time ago more than 80 people lost there live because to buscar drivers with to shake hand. It is equally recklessness for one to DuI. There are roads signs on the roads more especially bends but driver just accelerate as if the sign is a pointer to over take not to slow down.
Re: Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? by chidyke77(m): 9:27pm On Feb 22, 2012
1. Bad road due to dangerous potholes.
2. Over speeding.
3. Bad tyres
4. Drunkness.
5. Not observing road signs
Re: Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? by werepeLeri: 9:45pm On Feb 22, 2012
Jiah011:

Over generalisation.

Speed limits are there sister - pick a stretch of road and I will show you the speed and road signs on that road - with GPS positions so you will know they are not fake.
Re: Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Feb 22, 2012
I remember when I was in Nigeria, I ply the Lagos ibadan highway frequently and have no recall of seeing speedlimit signs. all I saw were bill boards for politicians blowing their own trumpet and adverts. those bill boards on their own could cause accidents sef. even in the city, Lagos, I don't recall seeing any speed limit sign, lol. there might be limit in on newly built roads though.

The German autobahns are famous for being some of the few roads in the world without a blanket speed limit, yet they have one of lowest road traffic accidents rate in the World. funny enough, cars or bikes that can't attain more than 60km/hr are not even allowed on the autobahns.

when there are road safety audits, good pavement, good road furnitures, traffic calming measures within urban environment and proper issuance of drivers licence, limit on alcohol consumption before getting on the wheel, traffic accidents would reduce drastically.
Re: Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? by Observer1: 10:38pm On Feb 22, 2012
BEER AND TOMBO LIQUOR grin shocked tongue
Re: Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? by Jiah011(f): 10:42pm On Feb 22, 2012
werepeLeri:

Over generalisation.

Speed limits are there sister - pick a stretch of road and I will show you the speed and road signs on that road - with GPS positions so you will know they are not fake.

I don't think this is an over generalization. Perhaps there are speed limits, but without the entities to enforce them and monitor whether they are being honored or broken, they are useless, regardless of GPS. It's obvious that there are serious problems with Nigerian roads and I listed what I've observed to be true. If the speed limits are not fake, then the police are.
Re: Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? by KayDee4: 3:16am On Feb 23, 2012
In Nigeria, I never really took notice of speed limit signs and just didn't know if they were there or not. But I knew when to apply common sense and regulate my speed and people should learn to do that, u dont always need the cops on your a.s.s to comply but I see people for instance, driving really fast on a wet and rainy day and I'm wondering . . . .   shocked shocked wurrafuckk   shocked shocked ? ? .

Me, I like to do James Bond moves and move fast though cos I believe I have to get off the road ASAP to avoid all the crazy and bad drivers and for security reasons too. I check all my tyres and engine fluids every weekend and I can tell you the locations of all the potholes on 3rd mainland bridge  grin and I pray and hope my tyre never goes 'pop' when I'm in motion.

Bottom line is , SPEED KILLS. It is easier to control a slower moving car than a fast one.
Re: Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? by teewai27: 4:45am On Feb 23, 2012
@ topic
i would say yes. Coupled with the fact that we dont have good roads. Some pple are the masters of their own undoing, they know the road is bad yet they never reduce their speed limit.smh
Re: Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? by Faheedat: 7:00am On Feb 23, 2012
Why are you kidding us ?
Haba se ori bibe ni ogun ori fifo ni?(Na cutting of head is the solution to chronic headache ?
With all the avilable records ,The Construction Engineers had fail us Why?
NO DUE PROCESS IN ALL THE CONTRACT AGGREMENT IN NIGERIA why?, CORRUPTION
THE INTEGRITY OF OUR ROADS ARE NOT PROTECTED/NOR MAINTAINED?, CORRUPTION
COULD YOU IMMAGINE A CONTRACTOR STILL ON SITE AND THE ROADS ARE FADING AWAY PLUS POTHOLES, and at the end of the day, the SME(Subject matter Expert certified the road and the Goverment went ahead and commissioning the road, ?Why , Corruption
Poor maintenace culture, why , CORRUPTION
The are so many factors determine the life span of any roads,
Designs
Thickness
Loads/Stress
Retaining Water capacity
The Contractor Expertise,
GOD BLESS NIGERIA

WE ALWAYS ENDANGER OUR LIVES AND MORTAGE OUR FUTURE JUST BECAUSE OF PEANUTS
Re: Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:53am On Feb 23, 2012
Re: Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? by Toks2008(m): 9:15am On Feb 23, 2012
There are Four major causes of road accidents.

1.SLEEPING ON WHEELS accounts for 15%
2.DRUNK ON WHEELS accounts for 15%
3.OVER SPEEDING accounts for 50%
4.DIABOLISM accounts for 20%

So overspeeding tops the list.
Re: Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? by okgerald(m): 9:51am On Feb 23, 2012
Its not over speeding but terrible roads and inadequate infrastructure. all major roads and express for instance should have vevry bright str light. the other day i i was on my oway home on a major expresw. who would hqve thougt that hoodlums would keep a maasive stone at the middle of the express. securiy is another factor. govt has a major role to play
Re: Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? by 989900: 12:16pm On Feb 23, 2012
It's a combination of all factors previously mentioned capped by over-speeding.

OVER-SPEEDING KILLS

"Theoretically" (not practically), if all buses, cars, trucks, trailers do not ever exceed 80/100km/h loss of life thru accidents will be "GREATTTLLY!!!" reduced.

Even in countries with good cars, good roads and speed limits people still get involved in ghastly accidents mostly caused by over-speeding (drivers who ignore the speed limits). You can crash @ 60km/h and be fine. . .not @160km/h.

In '93 I drove a VW Golf with faulty brakes (serious brake fluid leakage) from Lagos to IB @ 50-60km/h averagely with no incident. (silly I know, but crazy things you do @ teenage.)
Re: Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? by davesam4all: 6:49am On Feb 24, 2012
its a combination of overspeeding, ignoring road signs, impatience, carelessness, pinging, etc
Re: Over Speeding Is The Major Cause Of Accidents In Nigeria? by chidike(m): 11:10am On Feb 24, 2012
i think over speeding is a huge and major reasing why we have alot of road accidents. Impatience is also part of it. I live in kaduna and use to travel to my school (Nnamdi Azikiwe university), Awka by road. yes we already know that our government is full of crap, we know the roads are bad and in some area not wide enough, so why would u put ur life in danger by being reckless by over speeding not being patient because u want to over take those annoying lorries in front of you (those lorries and trucks also cause accidents alot, with their brakes that's always failing). one should be careful wen driving and know that life has no duplicate.

Sometimes wen some cars overtake me, i just say to myself that this one has no value for life. if u're in a commercial vehicle and the driver is speeding always call him to order, many have lost their lives beacuse they were trying to get to their destination on time. At the end of the day, na God dey save person.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Bitter Experience With VIO Officials In Abuja - Affi Bassey / How Did You Learn How To Drive? / Car Quiz - Tell Us The Names Of These Cars Using Their Rear Lights

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.