Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,903 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:01 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (118) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4445971 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 8:45pm On Aug 20, 2015
poposki33:
you didn't check well
but here is a screenshot

Thanks guy.
So I can bid for 1 year treasury bills for 3/09/2015?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 20, 2015
just2endowed:
Hello guys, I was watching market reports 10am on channels TV and I heard the rate at Which tb for 90days were, traded on the capital market at 14.5%.

Want to ask, if this correlate with tb that are sold on the secondary market and does this rate affect the primary bidding rate?

Yes, that rate is very close to what obtains in the secondary market. According to today's quote, a bill with 94 days to maturity is being quoted at 14.65%

Yes, these rates reflect current market and will therefore affect the primary bid rates. The bidding rates go with the yield curve and from the look of things, it appears the yield curve in Nigeria is downward sloping with higher yields being attached to the short maturities.

My speculation is that both the short and long ends of the yield curve will shrink a bit because of the increase in liquidity expected from the Kaduna and Ebonyi state bonds that mature on August 31 and sept 30th respectively

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 9:50pm On Aug 20, 2015
ukay2:

Please can I get a link on NTB calender for 4th quarter 2015(September-December2015)
I need it URGENTLY.
Thanks.

CBN doesn't have the calendar for your request; however it's easy to know the dates. Last NTB auction was Aug 19th; the previous one was 5th, and the one prior was July 22nd. So, essentially add 14days consecutively and you'll get your Sep-Dec schedule.

Next bid would be Sep 2nd, and it's advisable you issue your instruction to your bank rep 1wk in advance.

Also notable fact is that 364-day tenors are done once a month, as opposed to 91 and 182day tenors.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 10:05pm On Aug 20, 2015
petikal:

CBN doesn't have the calendar for your request; however it's easy to know the dates. Last NTB auction was Aug 19th; the previous one was 5th, and the one prior was July 22nd. So, essentially add 14days consecutively and you'll get your Sep-Dec schedule.

Next bid would be Sep 2nd, and it's advisable you issue your instruction to your bank rep 1wk in advance.

Also notable fact is that 364-day tenors are done once a month, as opposed to 91 and 182day tenors.

so I can bid for 365-day tenor come 3/9/2015?
your response is highly appreciated.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 10:13pm On Aug 20, 2015
ukay2:

so I can bid for 365-day tenor come 3/9/2015?
your response is highly appreciated.
Yes, likely. You still need to confirm with your bank rep.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 10:30pm On Aug 20, 2015
unite4real:

NTB profit is tax free pls.
lol VAT free?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by poposki33: 10:36pm On Aug 20, 2015
ukay2:

Thanks guy.
So I can bid for 1 year treasury bills for 3/09/2015?
now that you know the dates, you should approach your bank and make sure you submit your bid before the auction date

just let your meet your bank for their procedure
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 11:04pm On Aug 20, 2015
princeuk21:
lol VAT free?
Yes.

I know the question wasn't addressed to me, but this is what makes NTB attractive: Unlike fixed deposit, no taxes/VAT, and interest payment is upfront, which could be used for reinvestment.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 11:04pm On Aug 20, 2015
Thanks every one....guys in this thread are helpful....I appreciate...
Will go to my bank before the auction date. Thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by just2endowed: 11:21pm On Aug 20, 2015
So guys what's it's like investing from the secondary market? Will one get a rate higher than the primary bidding rate or something little bit lower
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by inze(m): 11:31pm On Aug 20, 2015
just2endowed:
So guys what's it's like investing from the secondary market? Will one get a rate higher than the primary bidding rate or something little bit lower

Lower,

This is because the bank is selling to you out of what they purchased from the primary market, in otherwords "retailing"
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 11:44pm On Aug 20, 2015
petikal:

Yes.

I know the question wasn't addressed to me, but this is what makes NTB attractive: Unlike fixed deposit, no taxes/VAT, and interest payment is upfront, which could be used for reinvestment.
I do get commission/vat, custody fee/vat debit when investing is that not same as yours? or am I the only one getting this debit here?? cheesy
unit4real d question also goes to you bro smiley please I need explanation.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 11:57pm On Aug 20, 2015
princeuk21:
I do get commission/vat, custody fee/vat debit when investing is that not same as yours? or am I the only one getting this debit here?? cheesy
unit4real d question also goes to you bro smiley please I need explanation.

There's no vat for NTBs, no tax at all. All I get charged (and what's legally permitted by CBN) is custodian fee, which is almost negligible with a decent capital. If you're being charged anything else, you're getting shortchanged.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by divinessa: 12:21am On Aug 21, 2015
please guys i don't really know much about ntb, if I invest like 400k for 91days, how much interest will I get and can i still do it this month?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 12:40am On Aug 21, 2015
divinessa:
please guys i don't really know much about ntb, if I invest like 400k for 91days, how much interest will I get and can i still do it this month?
you should get 10,000 if the rate is 10% for 91days (custody/Vat debit charge not included).
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 12:53am On Aug 21, 2015
petikal:

There's no vat for NTBs, no tax at all. All I get charged (and what's legally permitted by CBN) is custodian fee, which is almost negligible with a decent capital. If you're being charged anything else, you're getting shortchanged.
we keep beating around the bush cheesy its ok. Great discussion nice refutation and approbation I take a bow smiley . Thanks @unit4real @petikal @angelo82 @manie @feelamong . Let's go back to investing mood.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:31am On Aug 21, 2015
petikal:

Yes.

Have you invested in treasury bill before? And if you have, so custodian fee was not deducted from your interest abi?

Stop talking as if nothing will be deducted abeg!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 6:44am On Aug 21, 2015
princeuk21:
lol VAT free?

YES. that is one of the advantages it has over fixed deposit
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by just2endowed: 7:45am On Aug 21, 2015
inze:

Lower,

This is because the bank is selling to you out of what they purchased from the primary market, in otherwords "retailing"

Wow, banks are making money on this tb and bonds
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by motherlode: 8:05am On Aug 21, 2015
Hello house
i applied for a 91 days TB and was debited #100,000 on wednesday evening, i haven't been credited with the interest. Is it that i have been cheated by the bank or what?
Please say something?
Princeuk21 and many others
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 8:19am On Aug 21, 2015
inze:

Lower,

Its not always Lower! it depends on who is buying the bills for you and how well you can bargain.....also on how much you are investing.

I have bought 88days Tbills at 11% even when the stop rate for 91 days was going for 10%.

just last week I also assisted a friend to buy 194 days Tbills at 13.5 for a friend even when the stop rate is 13% for 182 days wink
inze:

Lower,

Its not always Lower! it depends on who is buying the bills for you and how well you can bargain.....also on how much you are investing.

I have bought 88days Tbills at 11% even when the stop rate for 91 days was going for 10%.

just last week I also assisted a friend to buy 194 days Tbills at 13.5 for a friend even when the stop rate is 13% for 182 days
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:36am On Aug 21, 2015
Feemong how do u go about buying for 88 days
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by quertyquack: 8:46am On Aug 21, 2015
You will not be credited with interest. The balance left in your account is the interest. Spend some time to read the earlier posts. It's free.
motherlode:
Hello house
i applied for a 91 days TB and was debited #100,000 on wednesday evening, i haven't been credited with the interest. Is it that i have been cheated by the bank or what?
Please say something?
Princeuk21 and many others

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by quertyquack: 8:50am On Aug 21, 2015
You must be offering them some serious money. Pray tell!
feelamong:

just last week I also assisted a friend to buy 194 days Tbills at 13.5 for a friend even when the stop rate is 13% for 182 days wink

just last week I also assisted a friend to buy 194 days Tbills at 13.5 for a friend even when the stop rate is 13% for 182 days
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 9:17am On Aug 21, 2015
Alikote:
Feemong how do u go about buying for 88 days

i have always said here that i use an investment banking fiorm for my transactions...

i just call them up and tell them i want to buy Tbills anytime i have funds or friends that i help to invest..

i doubt anybank will give you such rates....these guys are mean! but the discount houses have a way round the banks!

moreover you can ask the investment house to use any Custodian you so desire..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 9:19am On Aug 21, 2015
quertyquack:
You must be offering them some serious money. Pray tell!

hahaha.....we want to make money..how we go dey offer them money again?

na negotiation skills bro! cheesy

also use good firms that would like to see you succeed
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 11:27am On Aug 21, 2015
feelamong:

hahaha.....we want to make money..how we go dey offer them money again?

na negotiation skills bro! cheesy

also use good firms that would like to see you succeed

Pls my oga feelamong,
Which investment firm you use for your investment....?
I may want to start using them.
Thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 11:36am On Aug 21, 2015
feelamong:

I understand the charges are lower when you use a bank compared to the investment houses.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 11:38am On Aug 21, 2015
ukay2:

Pls my oga feelamong,
Which investment firm you use for your investment....?
I may want to start using them.
Thanks.

i use fidelity securities ltd
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 11:39am On Aug 21, 2015
unite4real:

I understand the charges are lower when you use a bank compared to the investment houses.

its not true..

they only charge the usual custodian fee and transaction fee
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 11:48am On Aug 21, 2015
princeuk21:
lol VAT free?

What are the benefits that an investor can get by investing in the Government Securities?
Benefits of short term securities (i.e. Nigerian Treasury Bills)are: Yield / Income on investment is realizable upfront and can be automatically reinvested for a higher income. Yield / Income on investment is competitive with returns on other money market instruments of similar maturities. The securities have zero-default risk. Yield/Income on investment is tax-free. The securities can be used as collateral for short-term borrowing from banks. They are bearer securities and negotiable. Benefits of long-term securities are: Could serve as collateral for borrowing, Interest is paid half-yearly, It can be traded on the stock exchange and Investment has a zero-default risk.

This was from CBN website FAQ on Government securities.

http://www.cenbank.org/FAQS/FAQ.asp?category=Government+Securities
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 11:49am On Aug 21, 2015
feelamong:

i use fidelity securities ltd

My oga feelamong.....

Pls help me answer these questions...

Hope fidelity securities ltd are reliable and how long have u use them?
How can I transfer my stocks from investment one firm to fidelity securities?
How much is their custodian and transfer fees.?
How much is their opening account ?

Is NTB bidding for 365 days come 3/9/2015?

Should I buy access bank shares now or I should wait till Thursdays next week for the share to fall down to maybe 4.0 naira?

Thanks my oga.
Waiting for your prompt response.

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.