Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,128 members, 7,842,246 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (331) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4476629 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) ... (2236) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by amjustme2: 10:46pm On Jul 11, 2017
The Debt Management Office (DMO) paid out over N4.8 trillion as interests in the last five years to banks and other investors. The money was lent to Nigerian Government from the domestic market through the FGN Bonds; Treasury Bonds or Treasury Bills issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) as part of measures to check inflation caused by excess liquidity in the economy.

Thank God I follow chop the money

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 11:06pm On Jul 11, 2017
THIS QUESTION AGAIN:

Can commercial banks buy Treasury Bills, say ones of 364 days tenors which normally attract a higher yield and break same into smaller tenors to sell at lower yields? If they can, will this not have negative implications for retail investors going forward?

These questions have become necessary because the increasing awareness about treasury bills is making banks to lose considerable amount of deposits as many are moving their fixed deposit funds to invest in TB.

Please, gurus help us analyse this situation for the benefit of everyone!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Houstency(m): 11:11pm On Jul 11, 2017
crowntoro:
Guys, please help.
I have filled a form at first bank since last week Tuesday for treasury bills after reading about it here but up till now nothing has been done on my account.. Though I didn't ask if it was for primary or secondary market but the guy in charge told me that I should wait till this week when there would be auction but I was surprisd last week when I started seeing that some pple went to the bank after I went and they have been debited and gotten their upfront interest
PS kindly advise me on what to do.. This is a week now since I went to the bank(FBN)
Should I give them more time since they already told me to wait till this week?

Next time always ask, if not, they don't mind giving you a lower Secondary rate. And you didn't provide enough information, what form were you given to sign. A good practice, with some of these banks, always ask for a photocopy of the form you and them signed and acknowledge incase they intend behaving funny because you are new into it. Go back and instruct them if you want Primary or secondary, it's your money. For FBN, If primary and you have filled and submitted the request form, you should have been debited , and you get credited with your profits a day after the auction (Mostly Thursday's for FBN).

I hope it helps. Regards

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 11:29pm On Jul 11, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

Went back to get more but 359 days was no longer available as at 2.30pm, but got 338 days for 18%.

Some branches of First Bank on Lagos Island still accept 100k for primary market. I was at Stock Exchange, Niger House and Lapal House branches today and they all said 100k will go for primary market Treasury Bill Investment.
emmanuelewumi:

Went back to get more but 359 days was no longer available as at 2.30pm, but got 338 days for 18%.

Some branches of First Bank on Lagos Island still accept 100k for primary market. I was at Stock Exchange, Niger House and Lapal House branches today and they all said 100k will go for primary market Treasury Bill Investment.
emmanuelewumi:

Some branches of First Bank on Lagos Island still
100k for primary market. I was at Stock Exchange, Niger House and Lapal House branches today and they all said 100k will go for primary market Treasury Bill Investment.
Please I want to open a First Bank account...
What Branch would you recommend for me here in Lagos..
I don't care the distance....
I want a good First Bank branch that is very conversant with TREASURY BILLS....
First Bank treasury bills secondary Bank rate is very attracting...
Please I need a good Branch.....Don't care about distance..
Some branches are very annoying...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by crowntoro(f): 3:53am On Jul 12, 2017
Houstency:

Next time always ask, if not, they don't mind giving you a lower Secondary rate. And you didn't provide enough information, what form were you given to sign. A good practice, with some of these banks, always ask for a photocopy of the form you and them signed and acknowledge incase they intend behaving funny because you are new into it. Go back and instruct them if you want Primary or secondary, it's your money. For FBN, If primary and you have filled and submitted the request form, you should have been debited , and you get credited with your profits a day after the auction (Mostly Thursday's for FBN).

I hope it helps. Regards
The form I was given is a treasury bills form which I filled but it was not indicated on it to know if it was for primary or secondary? Which is best, primary or secondary market because I read form here that you can only invest in primary market only if you have above 50million
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:24am On Jul 12, 2017
Gavrelino123:
[color=#000099][/color]
Please I want to open a First Bank account...
What Branch would you recommend for me here in Lagos..
I don't care the distance....
I want a good First Bank branch that is very conversant with TREASURY BILLS....
First Bank treasury bills secondary Bank rate is very attracting...
Please I need a good Branch.....Don't care about distance..
Some branches are very annoying...

You can open your account anywhere, it is not compulsory to do your Treasury Bill in the branch where your account is domiciled.

I use First Bank stock exchange branch Lagos, but due to distance 90& of my Treasury Bill Investments are done through Ajao Estate branch.

But I found out that most of the branches on Lagos Island are very friendly and conversant with TB operations maybe because of their proximity to CBN.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by INFOTECH2: 6:22am On Jul 12, 2017
Good day

Quick question house

Which is better or more profitable: having a money market account with FBN quest or buying TB directly from the bank?

I actually have an account with FBN.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Houstency(m): 8:04am On Jul 12, 2017
crowntoro:
The form I was given is a treasury bills form which I filled but it was not indicated on it to know if it was for primary or secondary? Which is best, primary or secondary market because I read form here that you can only invest in primary market only if you have above 50million

Both are ok, it all depends on your patience. You get to wait every 2weeks for the primary auction, and most times bid rates are higher, as you are almost dealing directly with the CBN or you do away with waiting time for Secondary auction, as most banks confirm if they have ready sellers of NTB that you buy from at their available rates. In recent times, Secondary markets rates are really encouraging and very high, about 1 to 2% differences from the primary markets rates, if when you factor in the 2weeks waiting period they become even per se sometimes.

And you can reinvest with less than 50million in NTB in Nigerian Banks(e.g FBN and Stanbic, those are the ones I've tried using after the govt policy became effective). So, the choice is yours to make. Do the needful from the little knowledge you've gathered. Regards

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 8:41am On Jul 12, 2017
Fix Bureaucracy to Attract More Investors—Elumelu Tasks FG
**Proposes 'shared purpose' to create economic, social wealth for citizens
www.businesspost.ng/2017/07/12/fix-bureaucracy-attract-investors-elumelu-tasks-fg/
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Phems(m): 9:34am On Jul 12, 2017
First bank gave me 15% for 91 days while Primary auction offered 13% for 91 days. If both is calculated as 15%X91/364XAmount, Secondary market yields better if this assertion is correct. Why then is Primary Auction preferred?

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by eanestca(m): 9:35am On Jul 12, 2017
INFOTECH2:
Good day

Quick question house

Which is better or more profitable: having a money market account with FBN quest or buying TB directly from the bank?

it depends on the tenure you are looking at, anything below 180day MMF will the deal
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Dozi05(m): 9:43am On Jul 12, 2017
Please house i filled the form to get tbills from the secondary market with FBN on MOnday 10/7/2017 and up till this moment the money has not been removed from my account and the upfront not paid. Please how long does it take to get tbills from the secondary market
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 10:11am On Jul 12, 2017
Phems:
First bank gave me 15% for 91 days while Primary auction offered 13% for 91 days. If both is calculated as 15%X91/364XAmount, Secondary market yields better if this assertion is correct. Why then is Primary Auction preferred?

If you knew your ways you can even get a higher rate at the secondary market.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 10:12am On Jul 12, 2017
Dozi05:
Please house i filled the form to get tbills from the secondary market with FBN on MOnday 10/7/2017 and up till this moment the money has not been removed from my account and the upfront not paid. Please how long does it take to get tbills from the secondary market

Just know that it has not been treated. Go back to them.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 10:16am On Jul 12, 2017
INFOTECH2:
Good day

Quick question house

This has bn discussed. Go to mutual fund thread.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 11:50am On Jul 12, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

You can open your account anywhere, it is not compulsory to do your Treasury Bill in the branch where your account is domiciled.

I use First Bank stock exchange branch Lagos, but due to distance 90& of my Treasury Bill Investments are done through Ajao Estate branch.

But I found out that most of the branches on Lagos Island are very friendly and conversant with TB operations maybe because of their proximity to CBN.
Thanks bro...
I think i would prefer opening in the ISLAND...
Some branches here in Mainland are very funny when it comes to Treasury bills. ..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:01pm On Jul 12, 2017
Gavrelino123:

Thanks bro...
I think i would prefer opening in the ISLAND...
Some branches here in Mainland are very funny when it comes to Treasury bills. ..

You can open anywhere and do your Treasury Bill Investment transactions on the Lagos island

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Zeiya(f): 12:28pm On Jul 12, 2017
Please anyone in the house with information on the next Primary Auction date should inform us please.

Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by amjustme2: 12:39pm On Jul 12, 2017
Read previous page for time calendar

Zeiya:
Please anyone in the house with information on the next Primary Auction date should inform us please.

Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by beyolah: 12:51pm On Jul 12, 2017
Investnow2017:

If you knew your ways you can even get a higher rate at the secondary market.

Can you please throw more light on this?

Thank you
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by crowntoro(f): 6:12pm On Jul 12, 2017
Dozi05:
i filled form since last week Tuesday and nothing has been done on my account
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 8:08pm On Jul 12, 2017
Hello housemates
I HV unconfirmed info. That a bank I used for my TB is in serious problem and may likely shut-down.

I just got the call this evening . my question is....should this rumour be true,how do I get my money back.

How does the custodian bank thing work.

I don't want to mention the bank so as to avoid unnecessary panic, bcs like I said its unconfirmed report.

I don't have any certificates to prove my investments, but first thing tomorrow I'll ask for that from my branch.

Gurus in the house pls .......
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jul 12, 2017
zamirikpo:
Hello housemates
I HV unconfirmed info. That a bank I used for my TB is in serious problem and may likely shut-down.

I just got the call this evening . my question is....should this rumour be true,how do I get my money back.

I don't want to mention the bank so as to avoid unnecessary panic, bcs like I said its unconfirmed report.

I don't have any certificates to prove my investments, but first thing tomorrow I'll ask for that from my branch.

If it is skye bank then it is no longer a news

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jul 12, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

I think i know the lady in charge of trasury bills in ajao estate branch. She is nice and would attend to u nicely
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Houstency(m): 10:51pm On Jul 12, 2017
zamirikpo:
Hello housemates

Sir, hope it ain't Stanbic IBTC? cheesy grin So, we I can join you in damage control lol.

That being said, scan through this attached PDF file, it may provide one or two insights.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 1:03am On Jul 13, 2017
Fm4real06:

So I heard very late....What happened to them.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 7:10am On Jul 13, 2017
Fm4real06:

CBN made it clear over a year ago that they were not in distress. Its just that some of their top directors were removed
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 8:25am On Jul 13, 2017
alezzy13:

CBN made it clear over a year ago that they were not in distress. Its just that some of their top directors were removed

Yes I remember that time ,two branches were shut-down in asaba. A lot of my friends lost their jobs, but this is fresh news.....its like the new mgt of last year are unable to revive the place. The info. Came from a regional director of another bank.

Am on my way to the bank now to collect my certificate of TB I bought since February ,as proof in case the worst happens.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:44am On Jul 13, 2017
noting is going to happen your investment is with cbn not skye bank
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:46am On Jul 13, 2017
zamirikpo:
Hello housemates

ur investment proof is you debit narrations
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 9:46am On Jul 13, 2017
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 10:08am On Jul 13, 2017
beyolah:

Can you please throw more light on this?

Thank you

If you are doing 364days which is the max tenor, primary market is advised, as you are sure to get a very good rate like 18% and above with fbn or stanbic. But if you are doing less than the max tenor of 364days you are sure to get a better rate at the Secondary market because the 182days and 91daya at the primary market are already pegged.

Hence you must have read here where some got 13.5% in the pry market for 91days and another getting 17% or more from the Seconday market for same tenor.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) ... (2236) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.