Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,592 members, 7,850,990 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:55 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (330) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4489329 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (327) (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) ... (2240) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 10, 2017
Fm4real06:

Wow.. when did u apply? Now in regretting why i didnt apply on friday wen it was 14% for 91days .

About 2 weeks ago o. They even told me it wasn't available dat Friday u r talking about.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jul 10, 2017
bigbroda:

About 2 weeks ago o. They even told me it wasn't available dat Friday u r talking about.
Okay.. 2weeks its a long time. I thought they would debit u within 3-5days after your application.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 9:51pm On Jul 10, 2017
Fm4real06:

Okay.. 2weeks its a long time. I thought they would debit u within 3-5days after your application.

Its like some pple have decided to tie themselves to one bank. Personally I open account with any bank that align with my interest. Even back then when I do term deposit I could open an account just because a bank rate is like 1 or 2% higher... I already have accounts in both GT, Stanbic and FBN before I started TB. I had the requirement to open when I did and it was @ no cost for..

Except you request to invest in Primary Auction it not Secondary doesn't take more than a day or two depending your discussion with the bank. I f you have accounts with different banks so long as it isn't for fraud no issue. You can contact all your banks to see who has what and you make choice quietly then transfer your funds there if need be instead of allowing yourself to be boxed into a corner by a particular bank.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jul 10, 2017
Fm4real06:

Yeah but based on availability.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jul 10, 2017
freeman67:

Its like some pple have decided to tie themselves to one bank. Personally I open account with any bank that align with my interest. Even back then when do term deposit I could open just because a bank rate is like 1 or 2% higher... I already have accounts in both GT, Stanbic and FBN before I started TB. I had the requirement to open when I did and it was @ no cost for..

Except you request to invest in Primary Auction it not Secondary doesn't take more than a day or two depending your discussion with the bank. I f you have accounts with different banks so long as it isn't for fraud no issue. You can contact all your banks to see who has what and you make choice quietly then transfer your funds there if need be instead of allowing yourself to be boxed into a corner by a particular bank.

I understand u perfectly but some of us have other reasons asides profit to deal with a particular bank at least for now.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:13am On Jul 11, 2017
bigbroda:

I understand u perfectly but some of us have other reasons asides profit to deal with a particular bank at least for now.

Banks deal with you primarily based on how much they can legally make from you, I think as bank customers we should also deal with banks based on how they can help us to multiply our wealth. Any bank that does not align with this agenda should be sacked.

Ask yourself when was the last time you got a business loan from your bank.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by vitality22(m): 8:14am On Jul 11, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

Banks deal with you primarily based on how much they can legally make from you, I think as bank customers we should also deal with banks based on how they can help us to multiply our wealth. Any bank that does not align with this agenda should be sacked.

Ask yourself when was the last time you got a business loan from your bank.
I totally concur. I have an account with GTB, FBN, DIAMOND and recently STANBIC. If you have what will create wealth for me, I move my cash there urgently.
Banks have really used my cash to enrich themselves, now is my turn.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chizzy4love(f): 8:34am On Jul 11, 2017
freeman67:

Its like some pple have decided to tie themselves to one bank. Personally I open account with any bank that align with my interest. Even back then when do term deposit I could open just because a bank rate is like 1 or 2% higher... I already have accounts in both GT, Stanbic and FBN before I started TB. I had the requirement to open when I did and it was @ no cost for..

honestly this is what I am passing through for the past 2 weeks with first bank.
Since I read up about treasury bills here 2 weeks ago and went to the bank to fill up the form asking them to debit me,it's been one story or the other calling me and begging me to be patient.
Yesterday's call was if I can be patient enough to wait for primary market auction next week whereas I clearly filled secondary market.i am really tired of head office this and that. My account with stanbic is dormant,I dint want to go through stress of re - opening it that's why I have been patient.i have given them till 12 noon today and I will make my decision.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by STNWAUME(m): 10:16am On Jul 11, 2017
I'm looking for a sound fairly used Dumper Truck like the one below.

My budget is N5million. Interested sellers should inbox me.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 10:54am On Jul 11, 2017
chizzy4love:

honestly this is what I am passing through for the past 2 weeks with first bank.
Since I read up about treasury bills here 2 weeks ago and went to the bank to fill up the form asking them to debit me,it's been one story or the other calling me and begging me to be patient.
Yesterday's call was if I can be patient enough to wait for primary market auction next week whereas I clearly filled secondary market.i am really tired of head office this and that. My account with stanbic is dormant,I dint want to go through stress of re - opening it that's why I have been patient.i have given them till 12 noon today and I will make my decision.

What is the stress in re-opening a dormant account?. Will you be required to go and bring the driver's license of your ancestors?. Is it no longer writing a letter to the Branch Manager requesting for a re-opening and accompanying it with a token amount?. Which is now more stressful between writing a letter or going back-and-forth with First Bank for two weeks?.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:25pm On Jul 11, 2017
vitality22:

I totally concur. I have an account with GTB, FBN, DIAMOND and recently STANBIC. If you have what will create wealth for me, I move my cash there urgently.

The relationship with your bank ought to be symbiotic.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:41pm On Jul 11, 2017
Just got 359 days TB through First Bank at 18.25%.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 12:45pm On Jul 11, 2017
vitality22:

I swear bro.....wasting all my time doing fixed Deposit and my Accounting officer will be opening her teeths with me....
The Day i told her that I wanted to do treasury bills. .,she started acting strange and said I'm spoiling her mood....
I had to follow up on her constantly before she finally treated my Treasury bills ......
She's not more nice to me...or smile with me onlike before..
As for me..,I don't fucking care.....

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by rosybabyy: 2:58pm On Jul 11, 2017
Hello people, I got 17.20% for 107 days from stanbic . Is it fair enough ?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ezeonlinebiz(m): 3:14pm On Jul 11, 2017
rosybabyy:
Hello people, I got 17.20% for 107 days from stanbic . Is it fair enough ?

Very, very, very fair.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by rosybabyy: 3:19pm On Jul 11, 2017
wink Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ayhanfeoluwa: 3:35pm On Jul 11, 2017
Please, how much is the least amount to invest for treasury bill?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Zeiya(f): 3:47pm On Jul 11, 2017
emmanuelewumi:
Just got 359 days TB through First Bank at 18.25%.

Very good offer. I will check them tomorrow morning to see if i can get something juicy like this
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:00pm On Jul 11, 2017
Zeiya:

Very good offer. I will check them tomorrow morning to see if i can get something juicy like this

Went back to get more but 359 days was no longer available as at 2.30pm, but got 338 days for 18%.

Some branches of First Bank on Lagos Island still accept 100k for primary market. I was at Stock Exchange, Niger House and Lapal House branches today and they all said 100k will go for primary market Treasury Bill Investment.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 4:30pm On Jul 11, 2017
Gavrelino123:

I swear bro.....wasting all my time doing fixed Deposit and my Accounting officer will be opening her teeths with me....
The Day i told her that I wanted to do treasury bills. .,she started acting strange and said I'm spoiling her mood....
I had to follow up on her constantly before she finally treated my Treasury bills ......
She's not more nice to me...or smile with me onlike before..
As for me..,I don't fucking care.....

What do you want to do with her smile? Does her smile translate to food on your table or Naira in your pocket or account?
She was simply smiling at you cause you were dancing to her "tune".
Please stop looking at her face to know whether she is smiling or not.
Any account officer smiling at you is definitely cheating you in one way or the other.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dahddy3(m): 5:06pm On Jul 11, 2017
It's a good investment but I prefer investing on real estate. It has a very high return on investment(RoI). You will only need to invest in genuine lands especially genuine estates. If you need information on how to invest on genuine lands in lekki or to join the real estate business, check my signature.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acme77: 5:24pm On Jul 11, 2017
Ayhanfeoluwa:
Please, how much is the least amount to invest for treasury bill?

100k for most banks in the primary market.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 5:34pm On Jul 11, 2017
dahddy3:
It's a good investment but I prefer investing on real estate. It has a very high return on investment(RoI). You will only need to invest in genuine lands especially genuine estates. If you need information on how to invest on genuine lands in lekki or to join the real estate business, check my signature.

Which lekki?. Is it the flooded one or the non flooded one?.

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by PresidentBuhari: 6:56pm On Jul 11, 2017
Landed property investment is not truly as rosy as people say, even though some people who had invested in estate development are making it big, the majority of estate and landed property purchase now is a scam. Those people making it big time in estate have lost money in one way or the other before landing one, two or three genuine landed properties.

95 percent of landed properties sold in Nigeria these days are scam except if you know the owner personally. Presently the annual yield on Treasury bills is way higher than the proceeds from landed property for example,

Say you buy a land at Ibeju Lekki at an ok site for 1.5m and after all expenses and omonile you spend 3m. Then you develop the land with 12m to build a four bedroom flat up to finishing. Altogether you spent 15m to own a 4-bed flat of 3 bedrooms each, then you get tenants to occupy the property and they pay say N30,000/flat/month x four flats = N120,000 x 12 = N1,440,000 you will make in the first year as profit (NB : some tenants may start oweing you money after the expiry of their one/two years rent saying ejooorr sir grin).

Then take Treasury bills you invest same 15 million in addition to the upfront interest you get immediately ie, 2.7m at the rate of 18% this will bring your total investment amount to 17.7m. The interest when you invest N17.7m at 18% will then be N3.186 m. I will just ignore other compounding interests that will accrue from reinvesting your profits on T-bills.

So compare income from rent = N1,440,000 to
Income from Treasury bills = N3,186,000 for the same period.

To balance the argument, ofcourse with landed property you will have a tangible asset at the end of the period which you can sell for another 10 or 20 million but don't forget the 95% land purchase risk (the land you built on may not have been a genuine sale afterall), i am talking from experience. I owned a land for over five years and every time i visited the land, the actual owner of the land who sold the land tell me the land is actually in dispute, this is something he never told me throughout my negotiations to buy. Fortunately i resold the land to someone else.

I am not saying your land sale is not genuine but i am pointing out facts that are inevitable.

If you have excess money invest in both ie Treasury bills and landed (excess money means at least 50 million), but if you don't its better to put your money where your mouth is.

dahddy3:

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:45pm On Jul 11, 2017
PresidentBuhari:
Landed property investment is not truly as rosy as people say, even though some people who had invested in estate development are making it big, the majority of estate and landed property purchase now is a scam. Those people making it big time in estate have lost money in one way or the other before landing one, two or three genuine landed properties.

95 percent of landed properties sold in Nigeria these days are scam except if you know the owner personally. Presently the annual yield on Treasury bills is way higher than the proceeds from landed property for example,

Say you buy a land at Ibeju Lekki at an ok site for 1.5m and after all expenses and omonile you spend 3m. Then you develop the land with 12m to build a four bedroom flat up to finishing. Altogether you spent 15m to own a 4-bed flat of 3 bedrooms each, then you get tenants to occupy the property and they pay say N30,000/flat/month x four flats = N120,000 x 12 = N1,440,000 you will make in the first year as profit (NB : some tenants may start oweing you money after the expiry of their one/two years rent saying ejooorr sir grin).

Then take Treasury bills you invest same 15 million in addition to the upfront interest you get immediately ie, 2.7m at the rate of 18% this will bring your total investment amount to 17.7m. The interest when you invest N17.7m at 18% will then be N3.186 m. I will just ignore other compounding interests that will accrue from reinvesting your profits on T-bills.

To balance the argument, ofcourse with landed property you will have a tangible asset at the end of the period which you can sell for another 10 or 20 million but don't forget the 95% land purchase risk (the land you built on may not have been a genuine sale afterall), i am talking from experience. I owned a land for over five years and every time i visited the land, the actual owner of the land who sold the land tell me the land is actually in dispute, this is something he never told me throughout my negotiations to buy. Fortunately i resold the land to someone else.

I am not saying your land sale is not genuine but i am pointing out facts that are inevitable.

If you have excess money invest in both ie Treasury bills and landed (excess money means at least 50 million), but if you don't its better to put your money where your mouth is.

Good talk, unfortunately N12 million can never built a block of 4, 3 bedroom apartment in Lagos. You will need N20 million or more, depending on your experience and knowledge of the building industry.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gazelle22: 8:09pm On Jul 11, 2017
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 8:21pm On Jul 11, 2017
PresidentBuhari:

Great analysis. It can go on and on. If not insured, house maybe destroyed by flood or fire undecided like you said invest in both. Some think property investment is the only investment there is. Times have changed. Go to abuja or portharcourt and see how property values have dropped. Many houses vacant due to lack of tenants. Some landlords have even reduced their rents. Still many still owe. These the only rent landlord that has a sure guarantee for the landlord is the first rent paid to secure the apartment. Its tough.
I have always preferred to buy land and resell after a few years. With the socalled recession even that now has dropped.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jul 11, 2017
Gazelle22:
www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/236614-nigeria-can-no-longer-afford-borrow-fund-budget-adeosun.html

Rates may soon plummet..
So where do dey want to fund their budget if not borrowings... Tax alone cant do it. Except crude oil price starts to increase.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DInkMan(m): 10:13pm On Jul 11, 2017
Gazelle22:
www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/236614-nigeria-can-no-longer-afford-borrow-fund-budget-adeosun.html

Rates may soon plummet..

No. It'll most likely inch up or remain like this. TBs are local loans. Unlike facilities from World bank, IMF, AfDB & foreign bonds. Paucity of these will result in higher demand for local loans.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 10:18pm On Jul 11, 2017
TONY56:

What do you want to do with her smile? Does her smile translate to food on your table or Naira in your pocket or account?
She was simply smiling at you cause you were dancing to her "tune".
Please stop looking at her face to know whether she is smiling or not.
Any account officer smiling at you is definitely cheating you in one way or the other.
I learnt this long time ago....
I already did my TB since April...
I liquidated my Fixed deposit long time ago...
she's so angry een.....lol...even her other female colleagues too....lol..
Thanks for this TB forum that made me Wisen up..
Run away from FIXED DEPOSIT....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by crowntoro(f): 10:43pm On Jul 11, 2017
Guys, please help.
I have filled a form at first bank since last week Tuesday for treasury bills after reading about it here but up till now nothing has been done on my account.. Though I didn't ask if it was for primary or secondary market but the guy in charge told me that I should wait till this week when there would be auction but I was surprisd last week when I started seeing that some pple went to the bank after I went and they have been debited and gotten their upfront interest
PS kindly advise me on what to do.. This is a week now since I went to the bank(FBN)
Should I give them more time since they already told me to wait till this week?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OakPearl(m): 10:44pm On Jul 11, 2017
amjustme2:

Please let me ask. If someone buy Treasury Bill for 364 days let's say at 18.6% and market rate fluctuates maybe lower after a reasonable time but before maturity of the tenor, does it have any effect on existing investment?

It doesnt have any effect on existing investments at all.
Change of rates is determined by the outcome of the prevailing monetary policy of the government per time.
Immediately a treasury bill auction is concluded, every successful investment maintains its rate throughout the tenor.
Enjoy. cool

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (327) (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) ... (2240) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.