Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,018 members, 7,838,559 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (371) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4471245 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) ... (2235) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by presiade(m): 4:58pm On Aug 22, 2017
question:
Hello Tbills gurus,
I have a concern. I did a 1-year Tbills (Secondary market) investment with GTbank about 2 months ago. They debited my account minus the interest and I saw the Tbills investment reflected in my online account profile.
But 1 month ago, they created my account as if the investment has matured and debited it again same day. From then on, I didnt see the Tbills investment in my account again. I was worried as this was quite unusual.
I have asked and they said that I should not worry that it is a problem with their internet platform to be fixed soon. Till today I have not seen the investment in my account.
I know something is not right somewhere within the bank. Has anyone experienced this kind of tbills problem with any nigerian bank?

This is why I don't trust secondary market t-bills. The bank can play games with your money.
The same thing happened to my last TB investment with GTB and they are yet torevert it. I think they have an issue, which they would resolve whether they like it or not. You don't have to panic because your account statement is your evidence.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mindtricks: 6:57pm On Aug 22, 2017
question:
Hello Tbills gurus,
I have a concern. I did a 1-year Tbills (Secondary market) investment with GTbank about 2 months ago. They debited my account minus the interest and I saw the Tbills investment reflected in my online account profile.
But 1 month ago, they created my account as if the investment has matured and debited it again same day. From then on, I didnt see the Tbills investment in my account again. I was worried as this was quite unusual.
I have asked and they said that I should not worry that it is a problem with their internet platform to be fixed soon. Till today I have not seen the investment in my account.
I know something is not right somewhere within the bank. Has anyone experienced this kind of tbills problem with any nigerian bank?

This is why I don't trust secondary market t-bills. The bank can play games with your money.

Whom amongst the officials did you talk to? Consider going to another branch, possibly even head office if in Lagos, talking to a more senior official, sending a mail to their official email address. Issues like that are sensitive and aren't meant to linger too long if any truth in their claim.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mindtricks: 7:01pm On Aug 22, 2017
400billionman:

You think TB customers don't know about RE. The returns are the same, I do both.

But be informed that TB is stress free and you can start with as low as 100k. While RE is very risky and you require millions to start.

It pains me that many years after resigning from the bank, i am just noticing this investment window.

Indeed knowledge on paper is different from applied knowledge..

Please tell me you didn't work in a bank?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mindtricks: 7:04pm On Aug 22, 2017
rationalmind:

Roughly 8.15m

Always use A=P (1+r)^t
A is the compounded amount.
P is the principal which in this case is 5m
r is the rate which is 13%=0.13
t is the number of years =4
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Phyde: 8:11pm On Aug 22, 2017
chukzyfcbb:

Oops I dunno bout stanbic ibtc but first bank of Nigeria has that option "Re-invest upfront interest".
If they don't why not seek for extra cash to add to your capital, knowing you can pay back with the upfront interest.
eg I want to Invest 1million at 18% 364days,
I know that 180,000will be paid upfront while 820,000 will be taken away. Now if I can add/borrow 200,000 from a friend/family and Invest 1.2million at same 18%
my upfront ineterst (gross) will be 216,000. With this upfront interest I can payback my friend his money THE NEXT DAY, while I will be expecting 1.2m at the end of the tenor.
so I borrow and payback in less than 48hrs,lol

NB: I forgot to say you can do this diffefently, there was a comment here sometime ago I think by ernie4life.
Not so sure who again but he said
in stanbic ibtc, they don't deduct the whole capital and then payback interest like they do in first bank, instead they just take the actual amount if successful. we had that discussion some months ago.

so I may have 1million naira in my account but write in the form that I want to Invest 1.2million at 18%
because I know that if successful, 984,000 will be deducted from my account. I was surprised to hear this, but he says he does it often at stanbic.

First bank usually takes the WHOLE amount at first which makes it impossible to do
Thanks a biilion.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 8:49pm On Aug 22, 2017
chukzyfcbb:

Oops I dunno bout stanbic ibtc but first bank of Nigeria has that option "Re-invest upfront interest".
If they don't why not seek for extra cash to add to your capital, knowing you can pay back with the upfront interest.
I know that 180,000will be paid upfront while 820,000 will be taken away. Now if I can add/borrow 200,000 from a friend/family and Invest 1.2million at same 18%
my upfront ineterst (gross) will be 216,000. With this upfront interest I can payback my friend his money THE NEXT DAY, while I will be expecting 1.2m at the end of the tenor.

NB: I forgot to say you can do this diffefently, there was a comment here sometime ago I think by ernie4life.
in stanbic ibtc, they don't deduct the whole capital and then payback interest like they do in first bank, instead they just take the actual amount if successful. we had that discussion some months ago.

so I may have 1million naira in my account but write in the form that I want to Invest 1.2million at 18%
because I know that if successful, 984,000 will be deducted from my account. I was surprised to hear this, but he says he does it often at stanbic.

First bank usually takes the WHOLE amount at first which makes it impossible to do

This is the real deal right here
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 9:29pm On Aug 22, 2017
presiade:

The same thing happened to my last TB investment with GTB and they are yet torevert it. I think they have an issue, which they would resolve whether they like it or not. You don't have to panic because your account statement is your evidence.
Bro,is it Primary or Secondary Market.?
what is the problem actually.?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by question(m): 6:11am On Aug 23, 2017
Gavrelino123:

Secondary market.
The problem is that someone has TWO Tbills investment. N3million and N2million.
The N2million is showing as a Tbills investment in your bank account profile online.
But the N3million is not showing anywhere in the account profile. So what is the genuine explanation?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TopKol: 6:14am On Aug 23, 2017

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolajay: 9:10am On Aug 23, 2017
Thanks.

Is this for the primary or secondary market?

Just checked out the site but realise that the interest rates were not stated, only the volume and dates were presented.

TopKol:
Treasury Bill Schedule;

https://www.fmdqotc.com/services/listings-and-quotation/securities-quotations/t-bills/
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolajay: 9:14am On Aug 23, 2017
So, I'm ready to invest in TBills, but, I'm incapacitated.

Apparently, I want to bank with either FBN or Stanbic, meaning I'd need to open a new account, but here I am with no valid means of identification.

My international passport expired some months back, I don't have driver's license, national I.D (yet to capture biometrics - long queues), no voter's card (been there over 5 times but no way).

What is the way out? I need to enjoy high interest rate ooo.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:41am On Aug 23, 2017
TopKol:
Treasury Bill Schedule;

https://www.fmdqotc.com/services/listings-and-quotation/securities-quotations/t-bills/
Are these the available secondary market Treasury Bills as at today?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by C4Ltd: 1:41pm On Aug 23, 2017
tolajay:
Thanks.

Is this for the primary or secondary market?

Just checked out the site but realise that the interest rates were not stated, only the volume and dates were presented.

it's a schedule. rates are determined after bidding
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DrMeroThaEmperor(m): 2:19pm On Aug 23, 2017
tolajay:
I'd need to open a new account, but here I am with no valid means of identification.

My international passport expired some months back, I don't have driver's license, national I.D (yet to capture biometrics - long queues), no voter's card (been there over 5 times but no way).

What is the way out? .
maybe your BVN would suffice.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by presiade(m): 4:26pm On Aug 23, 2017
Gavrelino123:

I bidded through the primary market about 1-2 months ago. Two previous TB investments are reflecting on my online profile, but the last one is presently not. Around last week it reflected and it disappeared again, followed by debiting and crediting of my account.... I guess they have system issue which is no cause for alarm. In the worst case scenario, one can show account statement as the the evidence.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 5:09pm On Aug 23, 2017
presiade:

I bidded through the primary market about 1-2 months ago. Two previous TB investments are reflecting on my online profile, but the last one is presently not. Around last week it reflected and it disappeared again, followed by debiting and crediting of my account.... I guess they have system issue which is no cause for alarm. In the worst case scenario, one can show account statement as the the evidence.
Do you have a Certificate of investment.?
Have you visited their head office.?
Have you complained to them.?
what is actually happening.?
I think there is cause for alarm
Don't trust any bank here in Nigeria..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by presiade(m): 5:18pm On Aug 23, 2017
Gavrelino123:

Do you have a Certificate of investment.?
Have you visited their head office.?
Have you complained to them.?
what is actually happening.?
WTH? I said in my opinion, it's not a cause for alarm... They would resolve it naturally... Otherwise upon maturity we settle the issue, no stress. I'm not even in Nigeria.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 5:35pm On Aug 23, 2017
kycilae:

Pls do you hv idea of banks that operate that way?

STANBIC IBTC operates that way
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 5:39pm On Aug 23, 2017
Phyde:

22% for the same 364 days if I re-invest the profit? This sounds interesting...I did not see Re-Invest Interest option on the form i picked from stanbic IBTC. How will i go about it sir?

Yes Stanbic does not do "Re-invest interest option". Though there is a way round it at Stanbic by doing some calculations but you can get that option at First Bank
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 5:47pm On Aug 23, 2017
chukzyfcbb:

Yes Stanbic debits you only the amount less the interest BUT they won't allow you bid beyond what you have in your account. So the only way of going round it at Stanbic is to have extra money or borrow for one or two days as you have explained

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 5:57pm On Aug 23, 2017
question:

Secondary market.
The problem is that someone has TWO Tbills investment. N3million and N2million.
The N2million is showing as a Tbills investment in your bank account profile online.
But the N3million is not showing anywhere in the account profile. So what is the genuine explanation?

Always try to get the hard copy of your investments or Certificate of investment from the branch you did the Treasury Bills as proof of the transaction as soon as possible. Usually the hard copies are ready in one or two weeks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Phyde: 6:07pm On Aug 23, 2017
TONY56:

Yes Stanbic does not do "Re-invest interest option". Though there is a way round it at Stanbic by doing some calculations but you can get that option at First Bank
Thanks sir. I went to festac branch today to submit the form and enquire on the re-invest interest. The lady said i will need to instruct them close to when the form will elapse. I am not too satisfy with her response anyway coz they don't have department handling that in that branch.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Phyde: 6:20pm On Aug 23, 2017
chukzyfcbb:

I will so much appreciate if you refer me to the pages, if don't mind.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 6:56pm On Aug 23, 2017
TONY56:

Yes Stanbic debits you only the amount less the interest BUT they won't allow you bid beyond what you have in your account. So the only way of going round it at Stanbic is to have extra money or borrow for one or two days as you have explained
Okay thanks for the clarification.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 8:07pm On Aug 23, 2017
presiade:

WTH? I said in my opinion, it's not a cause for alarm... They would resolve it naturally... Otherwise upon maturity we settle the issue, no stress. I'm not even in Nigeria.
I understand you...... I'm impressed with your unshakable mind....Bravo bravo!!!!
Just wanted your to take caution so that they won't say,why dint you report to them when you noticed the error...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolajay: 8:18pm On Aug 23, 2017
Thanks.

Had a chat with FBN via Twitter and they requested a valid form of identity. BVN wasn't started.

Sadly, I just struggled to get a Voter's card today (not the plastic one) and I was told it won't suffice, too.

Getting a national ID is like wishing corruption out of Nigeria.

Guess, I'm locked at the moment.

DrMeroThaEmperor:
maybe your BVN would suffice.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CelestineC(m): 8:41pm On Aug 23, 2017
I would love to invest in TB, someone please point me to the right direction

I have account with first bank and zenith bank

Please I'm new to this, I would appreciate your mentorship
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 9:14pm On Aug 23, 2017
tolajay:
Thanks.

Had a chat with FBN via Twitter and they requested a valid form of identity. BVN wasn't started.

Sadly, I just struggled to get a Voter's card today (not the plastic one) and I was told it won't suffice, too.

Go for National ID registration. The ID itself may not come out soon but the slip given to you after registration is acceptable as a valid identification in banks. It shouldn't take you much time to get registered depending on your area.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:21pm On Aug 23, 2017
CelestineC:

First bank ok
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by joseph1013: 4:09am On Aug 24, 2017
tolajay:
Thanks.

NIMC Slip is an authentic means of identification, says the Federal Government.

Report which bank and branch, including the official, that turned you down to NIMC
https://twitter.com/nimc_ng/status/898119415367172097

It became a huge topic two weeks ago on Twitter with so many banks apologizing and NIMC threatening to take actions against them for refusing. It got so serious that a bank like Diamond issued this :

Feel free to send an email to complaints@diamondbank.com stating the branch and request that was turned down so we can address. Thank you.

I suggest you go back to the bank and show them the image I uploaded below. Take action against them if they still refuse.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RAY12345(m): 8:03am On Aug 24, 2017
CelestineC:

Hello, someone shares this links sometime on this thread, I think u need to read it and then comeback and ask ur case specific questions.

http://www.financialfreedominspiration.com/investing-in-treasury-bills-simplified/

http://www.financialfreedominspiration.com/financial-security-investing-in-treasury-bills/

http://www.financialfreedominspiration.com/invest-treasury-bills-low-funds-2/

I hope this helps.

Regards

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CelestineC(m): 8:30am On Aug 24, 2017
RAY12345:

Hello, someone shares this links sometime on this thread, I think u need to read it and then comeback and ask ur case specific questions.

http://www.financialfreedominspiration.com/investing-in-treasury-bills-simplified/

http://www.financialfreedominspiration.com/financial-security-investing-in-treasury-bills/

http://www.financialfreedominspiration.com/invest-treasury-bills-low-funds-2/

I hope this helps.

Regards

Thank you.. I will sure check them out

(1) (2) (3) ... (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) ... (2235) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.