Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (368) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4451898 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) ... (2231) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 1:17pm On Aug 18, 2017
[quote author=bisiki2 post=59593828][/quote]
Thanks for that screenshot, From what I can see the rates in the primary market is lower than what first bank offered. Offering 17.35 when fbn offered 17.5 for 155 & 190days, so it should have been swallowed up fast since its a better option.
Well l don't know what else could be delaying. Except the money has been paid and no credit alert came forth, because it happened last week. Upon maturity, i received no alerts but the funds was there. Had to go to the bank to check the balance. That may just be the problem again
Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by uc198080: 1:35pm On Aug 18, 2017
getgeorgio:

Refer to CBN website for last auction rates https://www.cbn.gov.ng/rates/govtsecurities.asp

I'm talking about dis week Wednesday's rate.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Phyde: 2:20pm On Aug 18, 2017
Good afternoon house, please i am new in this NTB stuff. I have much interest to invest in it for 364 days. When do you think will be the next auction date and is it advisable to fund my bank account and applied now or wait?
Thank you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 2:27pm On Aug 18, 2017
Keeppushing:

Chai!! RealityShot, please can I get in touch personally?

Is it safe to say that going by the above calculation, N9,250 will be the earning for 50k?
Safe YES...
25 * 365 = 9125 total interest on N50k/yr

But that will only happen IF the rate stays at 18.5 through out the year..
(it can go down some days or months OR go up)

Another thing is that the interest is compounded daily then paid out or reinvested every 3months ..

so you can get (9125 / 4 = N2 281.25) four times and its starts earing interes too!

Am still yet to find time to sit down and calculate the compound interest outcome properly though..grin

Please any more questions on mutual funds should be posted on its appropriate thread below. Thank you
https://www.nairaland.com/1912965/mutual-funds/
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 3:20pm On Aug 18, 2017
Alikote:
https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/business/tsa-fg-invests-n300bn-unclaimed-funds-in-treasury-bills/210552.html
"What government has done is to provide a
special CBN window where that money can be
invested in federal treasury bills to get
interest to the government which is paid back
into the main TSA account of government,” he
explained.

FRAUD of the highest order!

Govt borrowing to itself to earn interest!!!
MADNESS!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 18, 2017
RealityShot:

explained.

MADNESS!
dump people running Nigeria ...how can a govt that cant fund it own 7 trillion naira budget invest it own money to earn it own interest..... it have a deficit of over 2 trillion naira ....2 what happen if the unkown agency now wake up an need the fund it yet to fund critical asset like apapa road,lagos ibadan a road, second niger brigde, assu strike ,good hospital and pay arrears of pension and salary it going only to benefit the the custodian who charge commission

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by C4Ltd: 4:05pm On Aug 18, 2017
chukzyfcbb:

Thanks for that screenshot, From what I can see the rates in the primary market is lower than what first bank offered. Offering 17.35 when fbn offered 17.5 for 155 & 190days, so it should have been swallowed up fast since its a better option.
Well l don't know what else could be delaying. Except the money has been paid and no credit alert came forth, because it happened last week. Upon maturity, i received no alerts but the funds was there. Had to go to the bank to check the balance. That may just be the problem again
Thanks
sorry what are you going on about? You got credited but no alert... is there something else you're trying to say
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by C4Ltd: 4:08pm On Aug 18, 2017
chukzyfcbb:

well maybe the Volume/amount offered hasn't been fully consumed by investors, I too still awaits the paid up interest from first bank done two days ago (secondary)
Also this is the first time too I am experiencing this from fBN but I am still calm.
So chill, today should be the day the volume will be fully absorbed
have you checked your balance?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:31pm On Aug 18, 2017
If one invests 5m at a true yield of 22% over a span of 27 years, one becomes a billionaire.(Assuming rates remain the same on average. i:e for every corresponding decrease in true yield, there's a corresponding increase)

#Just observing

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AkDave1: 7:07pm On Aug 18, 2017
And assuming the person does not die in 27 yrs!
rationalmind:
If one invests 5m at a true yield of 22% over a span of 27 years, one becomes a billionaire.(Assuming rates remain the same on average. i:e for every corresponding decrease in true yield, there's a corresponding increase)

#Just observing

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 18, 2017
AkDave1:
And assuming the person does not die in 27 yrs!

Lol, that's another angle I didnt consider .

Life itself is all about risks though, not doing anything at all due to fear of death is also a risk.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by franchuks(m): 8:26pm On Aug 18, 2017
RealityShot:

explained.

MADNESS!

That is Nigeria for you... Quite sad.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Odunharry(m): 9:14pm On Aug 18, 2017
tunene66:

i have done so
Pls forward to odunharry57@gmail.com. Thank you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 11:10pm On Aug 18, 2017
rationalmind:

Lol, that's another angle I didnt consider .

Life itself is all about risks though, not doing anything at all due to fear of death is also a risk.

It is even very risky to be alive. And to be alive and not take steps, is dead riskier. Which ever way, one must contend with risk. You cannot say because someone drowned in a river you would not drink water again - life goes on. And if you have lived your life thus far without having made a huge and major mistake, you are even at a greater risk! Hard to believe but a truism.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by urchbarbie(f): 11:32pm On Aug 18, 2017
RealityShot:

(50000 x 0.185)/365 = 25.xx per day

@rate of 18.5% per year

I think this is quiet true cos on my 200k i get about 97naira daily.

I want to move over to TBills kindly advise me, would Tbills be more lucrative please.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by logoscope(m): 11:49pm On Aug 18, 2017
Guys, I'm back to this thread again after a long time. I want to take a break from running my business cos I'm going to be in my final year next year (assuming ASUU strike doesn't holds too long) and I don't want distractions cos I'm gonna be very busy.

I was able to make about 55k from my business. I want to invest in into TB for the 1 year that I will be off. Does it makes sense? Thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 3:27am On Aug 19, 2017
Alikote:
dump people running Nigeria ...how can a govt that cant fund it own 7 trillion naira budget invest it own money to earn it own interest..... it have a deficit of over 2 trillion naira ....2 what happen if the unkown agency now wake up an need the fund it yet to fund critical asset like apapa road,lagos ibadan a road, second niger brigde, assu strike ,good hospital and pay arrears of pension and salary it going only to benefit the the custodian who charge commission
the TSA management are just focused on piping out 54billion interest from that money OUT OF OUR NATIONAL PURSE!

well, when the owner surfaces before the tenor expires, they will just move cash from one MDA to cover (agric is always the slave goat!)

TERRIBLE IMPUNITY! they even made it public news!!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 3:37am On Aug 19, 2017
urchbarbie:

I think this is quiet true cos on my 200k i get about 97naira daily.

I want to move over to TBills kindly advise me, would Tbills be more lucrative please.
TBills will give you interest for the next 364 days now. The makes your profit CERTAIN for that period.

Mutual fund however, interest rate may go down in the next 3months and then you start earning less within same period..

Therefore, invest in tBills when you have enough capital to LOCK DOWN the current rate for the period ahead (200k is good);

then put the upfront interest in your mutual fund to keep earning daily...

In your case,
put 200k in Tbills @18% get N36k
then put the 36k in mutual fund ...

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 3:47am On Aug 19, 2017
LeeCodeman:

There's still something I'm yet to understand. Must I have N50m before I can invest in the primary market, or are there banks who will allow me invest something as small as 500k through them? I have used Stanbic for my secondary market and they didn't give me my 364 days request, therefore I'm considering opening a FirstBank account if they will give me the maximum days.

There is no Bank that will give you a 364days tenor at the secondary market because it does not exist. You can only get that at the Primary market.

If you still don't believe, then port to the Fist Bank and see if you will get it.

However, you can invest as low as N100,000 through many of the banks BUT it has to be at the banks bid rate and not what you want. If you want to specify your own bid rate, then you MUST have at least N50Million

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 3:52am On Aug 19, 2017
logoscope:
Guys, I'm back to this thread again after a long time. I want to take a break from running my business cos I'm going to be in my final year next year (assuming ASUU strike doesn't holds too long) and I don't want distractions cos I'm gonna be very busy.

I was able to make about 55k from my business. I want to invest in into TB for the 1 year that I will be off. Does it makes sense? Thanks.
thats not enough for TBills...

put it in a Money market Fund, its almost like Tbills but the minimum investment is from 5k.
(a good one we know is stanbic IBTC MMF ~ check the website or visit the bank for more info)

ask more questions on that at the thread below:
https://www.nairaland.com/1912965/mutual-funds
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by LeeCodeman: 7:21am On Aug 19, 2017
TONY56:

There is no Bank that will give you a 364days tenor at the secondary market because it does not exist. You can only get that at the Primary market.

If you still don't believe, then port to the Fist Bank and see if you will get it.

However, you can invest as low as N100,000 through many of the banks BUT it has to be at the banks bid rate and not what you want. If you want to specify your own bid rate, then you MUST have at least N50Million
Understood. But what about the people here saying they had a year bid. That means they all bidded at the primary market with at least 50 million naira? Thanks for the various responses.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by logoscope(m): 7:50am On Aug 19, 2017
RealityShot:

thats not enough for TBills...

put it in a Money market Fund, its almost like Tbills but the minimum investment is from 5k.
(a good one we know is stanbic IBTC MMF ~ check the website or visit the bank for more info)

ask more questions on that at the thread below:
https://www.nairaland.com/1912965/mutual-funds
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 9:58am On Aug 19, 2017
LeeCodeman:

Understood. But what about the people here saying they had a year bid. That means they all bidded at the primary market with at least 50 million naira? Thanks for the various responses.

you only need a minimum of 100k to invest through banks (ibtc & fbn)..

..but you must use bank rate.

you only need 50million if you want to tell the bank to bid at YOUR SPECIFIC RATE at the primary market.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by joseph1013: 10:31am On Aug 19, 2017
MssRose:
Was finally debited yesterday by stanbic. I did for 1.4M for 364days and 1,141,988.82 was debited. please house what percentage interest is that.
Is this the primary or secondary market?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tunene66: 10:51am On Aug 19, 2017
Odunharry:

Pls forward to odunharry57@gmail.com. Thank you.

I have done so
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by urchbarbie(f): 11:13am On Aug 19, 2017
RealityShot:

TBills will give you interest for the next 364 days now. The makes your profit CERTAIN for that period.

Mutual fund however, interest rate may go down in the next 3months and then you start earning less within same period..

Therefore, invest in tBills when you have enough capital to LOCK DOWN the current rate for the period ahead (200k is good);

then put the upfront interest in your mutual fund to keep earning daily...

In your case,
put 200k in Tbills @18% get N36k
then put the 36k in mutual fund ...
Tanks a lot.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by joseph1013: 11:24am On Aug 19, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

No idea but it close to what FBN offers. Banks, Discount houses and Some stockbrokers are the CBN licenced dealers for treasury bills.

That was why I suggested if banks are proving difficult, one can approach other dealers.

I think the attitudes of the banks as per treasury bills is limited to some branches, major branches and most on Lagos Island don't do such, as a matter of fact it is a normal thing.

My branch of FBN is directly opposite CBN in Marina Lagos
What do you think of the first bank branch opposite the cathedral church at Marina?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Odunharry(m): 12:33pm On Aug 19, 2017
tunene66:

I have done so
Thanks and God bless you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by joseph1013: 12:54pm On Aug 19, 2017
chyima:

on 500k your return should be about 21250 with 17% as the interest for 91days,yes you can rollover either with your upfront if its above 100k depending on your bank minimum or at the end of the tenure of the existing investment with the initial capiltal

I do my treasury bill with stanbic ibtc and they have no option for re investment on their form ,so I invest in the primary market and receive my upfront ,with this upfront I reinvest in the secondary market cos I don't want to have access to the money for now and may not be able to wait till the next bidding in the primary market
How were you able to invest in the primary market with less than 50 million naira?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by daywalker12911(m): 4:28pm On Aug 19, 2017
joseph1013:

How were you able to invest in the primary market with less than 50 million naira?
Stanbic resells at a rate slightly lower than what you get from the primary market. So it's treated like primary market but what they are RealY getting is secondary market .
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ebunoyeyemi(m): 7:15pm On Aug 19, 2017
Good Evening, Please though I ve known about treasury bills for some time now but something is still not clear to me.

Just for example... If I'm investing 1M for 91 days at 13% and the same 1M for 182 days at 17%, don't you think it is wiser to invest the 1M for 91 days twice? Or one can't reinvest again and again?

Like if you are investing 1M at 13% for 91 days and 1M at 20% for 364 days, 91 x 4 = 364, 13 x 4 =52... Is that not 52% instead of the 20%?

I need some explanation on this please.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by joseph1013: 7:36pm On Aug 19, 2017
LeeCodeman:

Thanks so much for your answers. Enlightening!

Let me ask, can I get the historical chart for Tbills to see how how the rates have moved up and down over the years? The longer the better.
Does anyone have the answer to this?

(1) (2) (3) ... (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) ... (2231) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.