Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,233 members, 7,818,782 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (516) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4443634 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 8:43am On May 17, 2018
Every investor understands that economic conditions are not permanent that is why to review your portfolio from time to time is a must for every investor especially in an economy like ours,
with inflation at 12.48% and on the expectation that it would trend down more, its only fair that we expect rates to keep going down slightly but I believe it has bottomed out.

Historically when there is an economic down turn rates always go high but rates trend down as the economy stabilizes, I think this one of the reasons the rates are trending down.

For people with low risk appetite money market funds may be a good alternative but the fact that I huge percentage of money market funds are invested in Tbills means the rates of MMf will also trend down but not as low as Tbills.

Except for the increase in political risk as election draws nearer, the stock market has all the indication that presents better opportunity in expectation of better return than in the money market space

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tunene66: 11:15am On May 17, 2018
ernie4life:
Every investor understands that economic conditions are not permanent that is why to review your portfolio from time to time is a must for every investor especially in an economy like ours,
with inflation at 12.48% and on the expectation that it would trend down more, its only fair that we expect rates to keep going down slightly but I believe it has bottomed out.

Historically when there is an economic down turn rates always go high but rates trend down as the economy stabilizes, I think this one of the reasons the rates are trending down.

For people with low risk appetite money market funds may be a good alternative but the fact that I huge percentage of money market funds are invested in Tbills means the rates of MMf will also trend down but not as low as Tbills.

Except for the increase in political risk as election draws nearer, the stock market has all the indication that presents better opportunity in expectation of better return than in the money market space

That is the truth o. Times change. So diverse the portfolio. FG Bonds are good too
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pxjosh(m): 11:29am On May 17, 2018
Got 11.1% for 224days via First Bank
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Mfunkynation(m): 2:21pm On May 17, 2018
pxjosh:
Got 11.1% for 224days via First Bank

Good deal

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CravingChic: 2:31pm On May 17, 2018
please who knows when the next auction for TB at first bank would hold?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 4:28pm On May 17, 2018
janga:

wtf “bear the risk of the bank surviving throughout ur tenure” can you plz explain that or does it mean its not safe to invest FD

safe to invest in FD but invest in the banks that does not have going concern issues. skye bank is systematically distressed and its CBN that is running the affairs of the bank. He who has ear should hear what the spirit is telling the church
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by michellez(f): 4:31pm On May 17, 2018
TONY56:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Please! Please!! & Please!!!
Be very very careful about investing your funds in Micro Finance Banks.

It's actually true that you can get 20% for N5m or over BUT you MAY not get your money back at the expiration.

Usually, they come begging you to role over at expiration and if you insist that you must have your money back, then they start telling you stories and give you promises. If at all you will get something back from them, you will be lucky to get only a fraction of your investment and you will be asked to convert whatever you're owed to own share in the company or their board as non sitting director.

This is what a stubborn friend of mine is going through for over 3yrs now and they are owing him over N50m.

So shine your eyes before you leap o and avoid unnecessary suicide because of greed expecially if the money is not yours.

The good thing I know is that you won't come back to tell us here if and when you get your fingers burnt.

Usually, some of them would pay you once or twice to lure you and later come out in their true colours.

Thanks for the heads up, i do not have any money in any MFB, i just suggested an idea i was toying with. With all you have said i think i'll consider other investments.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 4:52pm On May 17, 2018
has anyone been debited for 364 days primary auction...?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dejiotus: 5:19pm On May 17, 2018
CravingChic:
please who knows when the next auction for TB at first bank would hold?

If you are asking for next primary auction for all banks (including first bank) with CBN, then the date is 30 May 2018.
But if you are requesting specifically for rates within First bank, then it will be at the secondary market, and can be anytime depending on availability. Ideally you will need to contact First bank on a daily basis until you get your preferred rate and tenor. Attached is the second quarter TB Calendar for 2018.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 6:19pm On May 17, 2018
Gavrelino123:
has anyone been debited for 364 days primary auction...?
noting from the useless bank gtb no communication ....time to move to stanbic
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CravingChic: 7:11pm On May 17, 2018
dejiotus:

If you are asking for next primary auction for all banks (including first bank) with CBN, then the date is 30 May 2018.
But if you are requesting specifically for rates within First bank, then it will be at the secondary market, and can be anytime depending on availability. Ideally you will need to contact First bank on a daily basis until you get your preferred rate and tenor. Attached is the second quarter TB Calendar for 2018.

Thank you Deji
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by janga(m): 7:15pm On May 17, 2018
aremso:

safe to invest in FD but invest in the banks that does not have going concern issues. skye bank is systematically distressed and its CBN that is running the affairs of the bank. He who has ear should hear what the spirit is telling the church

what are your point here?
are you trying to tell us to move out our money from Skye Bank
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dejiotus: 7:25pm On May 17, 2018
CravingChic:

Thank you Deji

You are welcome
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 9:04pm On May 17, 2018
aremso:

The way banks are structured now, we can't have failed banks ,at worst the cbn steps in like they did with Skyebank and keystone bank last year. No panic pep. No bank is shutting down. I however would not advice anyone to invest in microfinance bank cos anyone can own one.

However TB remain the best option if the rates are good. I chose Skyebank FD becos I got 13.5% for 364days as against 10.7% for TB . It depends on ur risk tolerance cos I must admit FD has more risk ooh.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by HopeAlive14(m): 9:52pm On May 17, 2018
NTB
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sammybabelious: 9:57pm On May 17, 2018
Good pm my sabi/gurus in the House. Please I have come again,thanks for the swift responses I got 91days ago.lolz...

Back to my question, am a Frist timer on TB,I did 1.1M ,around feb dis year and I got 11.75 thereabout,FBN,primary market and I was given around 35k interest.Today should be the end of d tenure, wen I checked my balance online I was credited #583 ,,,,,now my confusion is that it seems I mistaken ticked rollover(or they did),now I don't know what rate that I was given,
2.....pls can I go to another first bank branch to make confirmation....(because presently am not in the state I did d last TB transaction)
3......if the rate is small ,can I terminate d TB...
Pls I need answers fast...

Please gurus, I was having 1.1M, plus the 35k that 1.135k,now it was reinvented, and #583 was dropped into my account,,pls at wat rate do u think it ,at 91 days.pls urgent answer is needed...
Plenty thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 9:58pm On May 17, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
noting from the useless bank gtb no communication ....time to move to stanbic
Very disturbing news......Even secondary Market,,none....!!!
I haven't had time to visit them,,if not ,i would have gotten a secondary market with them by all means...
I will have to open a Stanbic IBTC savings Account...!!!
Any recommended branch in Lagos..?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Just2endowed2(m): 9:59pm On May 17, 2018
Cool
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sach: 10:10pm On May 17, 2018
Stanbic was sucessful pips
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 10:11pm On May 17, 2018
Sach:
Stanbic was sucessful pips
You mean for 364 days..?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sach: 11:11pm On May 17, 2018
Gavrelino123:

You mean for 364 days..?

Yes
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 1:40am On May 18, 2018
Gavrelino123:

Very disturbing news......Even secondary Market,,none....!!!
I haven't had time to visit them,,if not ,i would have gotten a secondary market with them by all means...
I will have to open a Stanbic IBTC savings Account...!!!
Any recommended branch in Lagos..?
may be there head office branch ....gtb guys too relax they feel u are stuck with them
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 4:59am On May 18, 2018
janga:

what are your point here?
are you trying to tell us to move out our money from Skye Bank

i am not discouraging any one not to put his/her moni in Skye bank ooooo but as for me, I put my hard earn moni where its more secured. this is Nigeria where u can see surprises. I just did 10m tb @11.5 recently and I can't even because of 30% risk my hard earned moni. that is my opinion
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by spenca: 6:47am On May 18, 2018
Sammybabelious:
Good pm my sabi/gurus in the House. Please I have come again,thanks for the swift responses I got 91days ago.lolz...

Back to my question, am a Frist timer on TB,I did 1.1M ,around feb dis year and I got 11.75 thereabout,FBN,primary market and I was given around 35k interest.Today should be the end of d tenure, wen I checked my balance online I was credited #583 ,,,,,now my confusion is that it seems I mistaken ticked rollover(or they did),now I don't know what rate that I was given,
2.....pls can I go to another first bank branch to make confirmation....(because presently am not in the state I did d last TB transaction)

Please gurus, I was having 1.1M, plus the 35k that 1.135k,now it was reinvented, and #583 was dropped into my account,,pls at wat rate do u think it ,at 91 days.pls urgent answer is needed...
Plenty thanks

Most banks will roll over your investment if they do not get a mandate from you 24-48hrs before maturity and I guess they gave you the available rate. But it is best you call your account officer to confirm the status of yourTB or you contact the bank through the various channels available. Whichever way it virtually impossible to get N583 as a yield from a coupon on TB at a discount rate of 1.1M. Policy for Termination of investment varies from bank to bank.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 7:10am On May 18, 2018
Sammybabelious:

Plenty thanks

If your initial TB investment in FBN was through primary and you chose reinvest Principal + interest option it will be rolled over at maturity automatically without contact you. TB investment is in multiples of N1000. The N583 you got is the amount not upto the 1k to be reinvested when rolling over. If you go to other branch of FBN they will see the details of your transaction but will not give you the certificate because the investment was not done there; at best they may give sketchy detail verbally. However you can mail firstcontact@firstbankofnigeria.com to request for it to be emailed to you. They can easily contact your branch and ask them to forward it to you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sammybabelious: 8:00am On May 18, 2018
freeman67:

If your initial TB investment in FBN was through primary and you chose reinvest Principal + interest option it will be rolled over at maturity automatically without contact you. TB investment is in multiples of N1000. The N583 you got is the amount not upto the 1k to be reinvested when rolling over. If you go to other branch of FBN they will see the details of your transaction but will not give you the certificate because the investment was not done there; at best they may give sketchy detail verbally. However you can mail firstcontact@firstbankofnigeria.com to request for it to be emailed to you. They can easily contact your branch and ask them to forward it to you.

Thank you, am mailing dem right now. Good morning!!!!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sammybabelious: 8:08am On May 18, 2018
I appreciate,

spenca:

Most banks will roll over your investment if they do not get a mandate from you 24-48hrs before maturity and I guess they gave you the available rate. But it is best you call your account officer to confirm the status of yourTB or you contact the bank through the various channels available. Whichever way it virtually impossible to get N583 as a yield from a coupon on TB at a discount rate of 1.1M. Policy for Termination of investment varies from bank to bank.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 8:28am On May 18, 2018
aremso:

i am not discouraging any one not to put his/her moni in Skye bank ooooo but as for me, I put my hard earn moni where its more secured. this is Nigeria where u can see surprises. I just did 10m tb @11.5 recently and I can't even because of 30% risk my hard earned moni. that is my opinion

Oga if keystone or any other 2nd tier bank gives me 30% , I will dive it sharp sharp.....
no risk no reward........

what assurances do u have of anything in life......
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 8:44am On May 18, 2018
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 9:34am On May 18, 2018
zamirikpo:

Oga if keystone or any other 2nd tier bank gives me 30% , I will dive it sharp sharp.....

Nice of you man
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by janga(m): 9:40am On May 18, 2018
zamirikpo:

my fellow “Risk Taker” i hail grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:47am On May 18, 2018
zamirikpo:

notting will happen to the bank with present structures

(1) (2) (3) ... (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.