Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,183 members, 7,953,650 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:50 PM

Help Me Undestand - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Help Me Undestand (749 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Me Undestand by Nobody: 7:25am On Feb 26, 2012
salam alaikum jama'at
am christian but have friendly questions suitably answered here:
why do some muslims marry four wives (in my village one has six) and others just one?
Why do muslims respond "sallalahu alaihi wassalam" when a prophet's name is pronounced?
Is 'almajiranci' compulsory?
Is discriminating against christians honestly quranic? Why/why not?
Quranic references will avail much here.
Hazawassalam_487
Re: Help Me Undestand by tbaba12345: 8:50am On Feb 26, 2012
Docjay487:

salam alaikum jama'at
am christian but have friendly questions suitably answered here:

Wa aleikum salam:

I am glad to see your questions:

I hope i can help you answer Insha Allah!

Docjay487:

why do some muslims marry four wives (in my village one has six) and others just one?

Hazawassalam_487

A Muslim man can only marry more than one wife if he can treat them justly, Otherwise he must marry only one

,,,,,,,then marry those that please you of [other] women, two or three or four. But if you fear that you will not be just, then [marry only] one,,,,,,,, (Surah 4:3)

As muslims, we have a limit of four wives:

So those who marry more than one wife have an extra responsibility to ensure that every wife is treated fairly.

You can not have more than four wives, Six wives is above the limit and not permissible.

Docjay487:

Why do muslims respond "sallalahu alaihi wassalam" when a prophet's name is pronounced?
Hazawassalam_487

Allah states in the Quran (translated) :

Allah and His angels send blessings on the Prophet: O ye that believe! Send ye blessings on him, and salute him with all respect. (Surah 33:56)

We are encouraged by the Quran and the hadiths to send our peace to the prophet and to other prophets

Docjay487:

Is 'almajiranci' compulsory?

No, it has no basis in Islam, It is more of a cultural thing than an Islamic thing,

Docjay487:

Hazawassalam_487

A verse of the Qur'an states:

… You will find the people most affectionate to those who believe are those who say, 'We are Christians.' That is because some of them are priests and monks and because they are not arrogant. (Surat al-Ma'ida, 82)

Another important fact we learn from the Qur'an is that Muslims must respect Jewish and Christian places of worship. In the Qur'an , the places of worship of the People of the Book, i.e. monasteries, churches and synagogues, are mentioned as places of worship protected by God.

…if God had not driven some people back by means of others, monasteries, churches, synagogues and mosques, where God's name is mentioned much, would have been pulled down and destroyed. God will certainly help those who help Him - God is All-Strong, Almighty. (Surat al-Hajj: 40 )

This verse shows all Muslims the importance of respecting and protecting the sanctuaries of Christians and Jews.

Indeed, in the Qur'an God commands Muslims not to harbor any enmity towards any people. In many verses, friendship is recommended, even with idolaters. God even refers to the idolaters at war with Muslims in this way: "If any of the idolaters ask you for protection, give them protection until they have heard the words of God. Then convey them to a place where they are safe." (Surat at-Tawba: 6)

Jews and Christians, however, are much closer to Muslims than idolaters. Each of these religions has its book, that is, they are subject to a revelation sent down by God. They know what is right and what is wrong, what is lawful and what is unlawful. They know they will give an account to God, and they love and revere His prophets. This shows that Muslims and the people of the book can live easily together and cooperate.

At a time when anti-religious, atheist and materialist ideologies surround the world, similarities among theistic religions should be emphasized, and cooperation should be established for common aims.

Concerning the People of the Book, God gives Muslims a command in the Qur'an ; to rally to a common formula:

O People of the Book! Let us rally to a common formula to be binding on both us and you: That we worship none but God; that we associate no partners with Him; that we erect not, from among ourselves, Lords and patrons other than God. (Surat Al 'Imran, 64)
Re: Help Me Undestand by tiarabubu: 1:01pm On Feb 26, 2012
I hope those who will rather spill innocent blood - infact all humanity - read and learn from tbaba's post above!
Re: Help Me Undestand by Nobody: 3:36pm On Feb 26, 2012
@tbaba_
wow, glad to have you around,
All answers are crystall clear!
Re: Help Me Undestand by Nobody: 7:10pm On Mar 20, 2012
My neighbour beats her 2year old daughter for not putting on her Hijab- why?
My childhood best friend, Rilwan taught me to kneel or at least bend a knee before urinating- ?
What is the english equivalent of these names:
Farhad
Fa'iza
Abdul-
Abubakar
Zainab
Farida
Mu'azu.
Re: Help Me Undestand by maclatunji: 9:17am On Mar 21, 2012
Docjay487: My neighbour beats her 2year old daughter for not putting on her Hijab- why?
My childhood best friend, Rilwan taught me to kneel or at least bend a knee before urinating- ?
Farhad
Fa'iza
Abdul-
Abubakar
Zainab
Farida
Mu'azu.

@bolded, because he/she is ignorant. I see it around me too, some even putting Hijab on babies. Hijab becomes compulsory for a girl at puberty. However, she needs to start learning to use it let say at least from primary school. If her hair is uncovered before puberty, she has done no wrong (technically) although a parent would want his daughter to learn to be comfortable with it.
Re: Help Me Undestand by tbaba1234: 9:35am On Mar 21, 2012
Docjay487: My neighbour beats her 2year old daughter for not putting on her Hijab- why?

Your neighbour is wrong to do so, The girl is way too young and is below the age of accountability. She would only grow up hating the hijab and take it off the slightest chance she gets.It is better to help them develop love for Allah and his messenger, the rest will follow.

Kneeling or bending a kneel to urinate has no basis in islam.

It is sunnah (way of the prophet)however to sit while urinating.

Farhad
Fa'iza
Abdul-
Abubakar
Zainab
Farida
Mu'azu.

Farhad - Panther/ Leopard
Fai'za- Sucessful
Abdul- Slave
Abubakar - Father of the young camel
Zainab- Blossoming Flower
Farida- Exceptional; unique
Mu'azu- Glorified; esteemed
Re: Help Me Undestand by dexmond: 3:43pm On Mar 22, 2012
Quranic references will avail much here.

Here is answer to your question.

Surah 5:51
"Muslims do not make friends with Christians and Jews".
Re: Help Me Undestand by Nobody: 6:35pm On Mar 22, 2012
@tbaba, what do you say to
dexmond:

Here is answer to your question.

Surah 5:51
"Muslims do not make friends with Christians and Jews".

Re: Help Me Undestand by maclatunji: 7:34pm On Mar 22, 2012
Docjay487: @tbaba, what do you say to

Don't mind the childish imp wannabe. If a Muslim man can marry a Christian or a Jewish woman. Do you think it would be hard for us to relate with the men on terms of respect and peaceful co-existence? That verse has been taking out of context. In fact he did not quote the whole verse. I saw his post earlier but one cannot attend to all things at the same time. There are other verses apart from this one that show that dexmond is lying by implication.

The verse is saying we as Muslims cannot rely on Christians and Jews as our true helpers when it comes to issues that affect our religion and faith. That goes without saying.

As for working together or co-habiting with mutual respect that is no problem. I would have referenced the other verses but I am on mobile and kind of busy.

Other people can expatiate.
Re: Help Me Undestand by dexmond: 8:21am On Mar 23, 2012
There are other verses apart from this one that show that dexmond is lying by implication.

Please, show us the other verses. Until then, that verse explains Muslims hostilities toward Christians. Compare it that verse to this.

Mark 12:28-34

28One of the teachers of the Law of Moses came up while Jesus and the Sadducees were arguing. When he heard Jesus give a good answer, he asked him, "What is the most important commandment?"

29Jesus answered, "The most important one says: `People of Israel, you have only one Lord and God. 30You must love him with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.' 31The second most important commandment says: `Love others as much as you love yourself.' No other commandment is more important than these."

32The man replied, "Teacher, you are certainly right to say there is only one God. 33It is also true that we must love God with all our heart, mind, and strength, and that we must love others as much as we love ourselves. These commandments are more important than all the sacrifices and offerings that we could possibly make."

34When Jesus saw that the man had given a sensible answer, he told him, "You are not far from God's kingdom." After this, no one dared ask Jesus any more questions.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Undestand by bntY: 12:31pm On Mar 23, 2012
Mr dexmond quit trying!.All ur posts on dis section depicts u r here to stir trouble.U may take a cue frm ur seniors(frosbel&davydlan) and lie low.
While doing dt u may ponder on dis part of ur post:
"What
is the most important commandment?" Jesus answered, "The most important one says:
`People of Israel, you have only one Lord and God.
You must love him with all your heart, soul, mind,
and strength.'
Re: Help Me Undestand by dexmond: 11:42am On Apr 01, 2012
@bntY

Its unfortunate you had to accuse me of been on the forum "to stir trouble". I am not sure I have done any wrong by airing my views and opinion on any subject matter so long I did not abuse anybody.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Undestand by maclatunji: 4:13pm On Apr 02, 2012
maclatunji:

Don't mind the childish imp wannabe. If a Muslim man can marry a Christian or a Jewish woman. Do you think it would be hard for us to relate with the men on terms of respect and peaceful co-existence? That verse has been taking out of context. In fact he did not quote the whole verse. I saw his post earlier but one cannot attend to all things at the same time. There are other verses apart from this one that show that dexmond is lying by implication.

The verse is saying we as Muslims cannot rely on Christians and Jews as our true helpers when it comes to issues that affect our religion and faith. That goes without saying.

As for working together or co-habiting with mutual respect that is no problem. I would have referenced the other verses but I am on mobile and kind of busy.

Other people can expatiate.

I will expatiate on the bolded in my next post.
Re: Help Me Undestand by maclatunji: 4:16pm On Apr 02, 2012
Here are the verses that this person has so brilliantly compiled: I hope you will take time to read them carefully and follow them logically.

Question: What does the Quran say about Christians?

Answer: In the Quran, Christians are often referred to as among the "People of the Book," i.e. people who have received and believed in previous revelation from God's prophets. There are verses that highlight the commonalities between Christians and Muslims, and other verses that warn Christians against sliding towards polytheism in their worship of Jesus Christ.

Commonalities:

"Surely those who believe, and those who are Jews, and the Christians, and the Sabians -- whoever believes in God and the Last Day and does good, they shall have their reward from their Lord. And there will be no fear for them, nor shall they grieve" (2:62, 5:69, and many other verses).

"...and nearest among them in love to the believers will you find those who say, 'We are Christians,' because amongst these are men devoted to learning and men who have renounced the world, and they are not arrogant" (5:82).

"O you who believe! Be helpers of God -- as Jesus the son of Mary said to the Disciples, 'Who will be my helpers in (the work of) God?' Said the disciples, 'We are God's helpers!' Then a portion of the Children of Israel believed, and a portion disbelieved. But We gave power to those who believed, against their enemies, and they became the ones that prevailed" (61:14).

Warnings:

"If only they [i.e. Christians] had stood fast by the Law, the Gospel, and all the revelation that was sent to them from their Lord, they would have enjoyed happiness from every side. There is from among them a party on the right course, but many of them follow a course that is evil" (5:66).

"Oh People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion, nor say of God anything but the truth. Christ Jesus, the son of Mary, was (no more than) a messenger of God, and His Word which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him. So believe in God and His messengers. Say not, 'Trinity.' Desist! It will be better for you, for God is One God, Glory be to Him! (Far exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is God as a Disposer of affairs" (4:171).

"The Jews call 'Uzair a son of God, and the Christians call Christ the son of God. That is but a saying from their mouth; (in this) they but imitate what the unbelievers of old used to say. God's curse be on them; how they are deluded away from the Truth! They take their priests and their anchorites to be their lords in derogation of God, and (they take as their Lord) Christ the son of Mary. Yet they were commanded to worship but One God: there is no god but He. Praise and glory to Him! (Far is He) from having the partners they associate (with Him)" (9:30-31).

Source: http://islam.about.com/cs/jesus/f/christians.htm

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Islam Section Hall Of Fame - Posters Of The Year? / God Does Exist! / Virtues And Blessings Of Ramadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.