Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:43 AM

Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch (8991 Views)

How To Turn Your Photo Into A Cartoon Using Your Android Device / Its Fola Abraham, 16 Years Of Age. Please Rate Me Pencil Sketch Of Nicki Minaj. / He Wants To Start A Photo And Video Studio, What Did He Need? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by charlisco(m): 5:51pm On Mar 21, 2006
I've seen a few tutorials floating around for doing this, and quite frankly some of them produce pretty shoddy end results. I'm not saying my method is the best, but it looks a hell of a lot better than using the graphic pen filter. So, here's how I do it.

1. Open your image in photoshop. Please note that the larger the image, the better it'll look. This doesn't work well with smaller images.

2. Desaturate the image (CTRL + Shift + U)

3. Up the contrast (Image > Adjustments > Brightness & Contrast). Not too much, just enough to make the contrast between dark and light stand out a bit more.

4. Filter time! Go to Filter > Stylize > Find Edges.

5. Now, play with the levels. Press CTRL + L to open the options. What the arrows do:

- The left arrow controls line thickness. The further to the right it is, the heavier the lines.
- The middle arrow controls shading. The further to the right it is, the heavier the shading will be.
- The right arrow controls light. You can use this to create darker lines.

Bear in mind that when you move the left and right arrows, the middle one moves with them. Toggle the middle arrow to the same point as these before moving them unless you want the shading to increase/decrease density aswell.

6. That's it! You can erase parts of the background fairly easily if you want. If you want it to be realistic, it's best not to have loads and loads of detail in the background. Here's what I came up with; I used a photo of lizzy

Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by Rhodalyn(f): 5:52pm On Mar 21, 2006
cool cool
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by Rhodalyn(f): 5:54pm On Mar 21, 2006
you love lizzy, dont you, she looked angry in that picture cheesy cheesy
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by charlisco(m): 6:00pm On Mar 21, 2006
i know that, but that is just one of the right pic to bring out the effect well

@Rohdalyn, please this is a graphic section, we need contributor not agurmentator here
i do not want this trend to become some thing else, like dragging personnal issue, please it is meant for graphic designer and those who wish to learn graphic,
Seun please try and delete those post who intend to change the topic of this trend

Thanks as you abid by the rules
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by Rhodalyn(f): 6:01pm On Mar 21, 2006
let's just hope thats all and nothing more cheesy cheesy
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by Rhea(f): 6:04pm On Mar 21, 2006
luvly pic,
Well-enhanced 34Cs too
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by Maxflame(m): 6:50pm On Mar 21, 2006
You seem to have lost the detail in the picture during the process. I tried my hands and came up with this. It was freestyled so i didn't keep record on the process. Maybe i'll post the process later.

Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by charlisco(m): 7:49pm On Mar 21, 2006
nice one, it seem you gave it a dutone effect,
i will see what i can do to make it more real
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by Maxflame(m): 7:56pm On Mar 21, 2006
No i didn't.
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by Rhodalyn(f): 11:50am On Mar 22, 2006
thats a very nice one maxflame cheesy cheesy
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by queen2(f): 12:59pm On Mar 22, 2006
good one maxfalme.

I dont know much about photoshop, but i really need to know it. undecided
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by Badman888(m): 2:08pm On Mar 22, 2006
Do you know where i can get a cracked version of photoshop, and the sketch is cool
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by charlisco(m): 3:02pm On Mar 22, 2006
What do you want to use crack version of photoshop for, it is not costly as u might think,
I got mine in Mega IV cd Software,
it cost N300-N500
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by Badman888(m): 3:16pm On Mar 22, 2006
The cracked version is the one i can use without buying the CD, but i guess i might have to buy it. Is the Mega IV cd in warri
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by buddie(m): 4:09pm On Mar 22, 2006
what i re-produced as well grin

Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by buddie(m): 4:23pm On Mar 22, 2006
second attempt

Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by goodguy(m): 6:36pm On Mar 22, 2006
I
charlisco:

What do you want to use crack version of photoshop for, it is not costly as u might think,
I got mine in Mega IV cd Software,
it cost N300-N500

I have mega IV but I lent it out already. I've never noticed photoshop on it. Pls, is it corel photoshop or adobe photoshop?
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by charlisco(m): 6:44pm On Mar 22, 2006
Sorry for that mistake, i just check my cd, it is Mega VI platinum
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by goodguy(m): 6:47pm On Mar 22, 2006
I've never come across that. I've only seen mega IV and mega VII. [no platinum]

corel or adobe??
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by Maxflame(m): 6:56pm On Mar 22, 2006
Dudes you're all using cracked version of photoshop! Mega whatever cd is a compilation of cracked softwares and you've all been patronizing software pirates. The real price of the latest Adobe photoshop 9 is US$649.00

http://store.adobe.com/store/products/master.jhtml;storesessionid=JCFCYG4N4ILZNQFI0IKBT44AVDJBKIV2?id=catPhotoshop&ref=Secondary
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by buddie(m): 7:39pm On Mar 22, 2006
Whether pirated or not,make e do the job thats wots important. grin
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by LoverBwoy(m): 10:02pm On Mar 22, 2006
oh my goodness i wish i can reach nigeria today today n get all these cheap softwares!!!

argghhh

who can get me AutoCAD2006 or 2004 version from computer village n send it plzzzzz

who go get me some softwares from naija i go pay u  grin
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by oasis: 12:22am On Mar 23, 2006
Free yourself of the shackles of expensive software.

AutoCAD - LinuxCAD, QCAD
Photoshop - GIMP
Illustrator - inkscape.org
Windows - LINUX, Linspire
M$ Office - OpenOffice.org
Publisher - Scribus
Visio - Dia, Kivio
Windows Terminal Server - LTSP

Most run on Windows, as well as Linux.
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by LoverBwoy(m): 12:23am On Mar 23, 2006
so how do i get them?
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by vichel(m): 12:30am On Mar 23, 2006
Yo is that Lizzy? Darn it my God she's beautiful
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by LoverBwoy(m): 12:35am On Mar 23, 2006
who da rassclart is Lizzy? what her nairaland name?
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by Maxflame(m): 12:52am On Mar 23, 2006
Here is a better result. Inspired by the pretty face of Lizzy. Thanks Lizzy for being a good model. wink

Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by Nobody: 1:58am On Mar 23, 2006
LoverBwoy:

who da rassclart is Lizzy? what her nairaland name?
S-h-i-t, LoverBwoy, u dont know hot-Angel? she's, well, Hot!
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by LoverBwoy(m): 2:16am On Mar 23, 2006
oh i recognise that name now,

she' aiight smiley
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by nike4luv(f): 8:22pm On Mar 23, 2006
nice tutorial, aint gat the hang of it that much embarassed

gat any for psp?

Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by UsherGurl(f): 9:16pm On Mar 30, 2006
Do we have to download the program or not?
Re: Photoshop: Turning a Photo Into A Sketch by Mildred(f): 12:35pm On Apr 20, 2006
@ Charliesco, hey i saw ur post on , Photoshop: Turnint a photo Into A Sketch

I am Mildred . i love the stuff u made. i had always wanted to work with Photoshop. U can imagine how gladden i was when i saw the stuff u made, its so nice. i've tried one with my pix. i'm gonna attach it to my id .

my mail id is remlox4real@yahoo.com, incase u wanna view it ok

and i would like to receieve more of tutors from u
thankx so much
Till i hear 4rm U

Mildred

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Houdini VFX Software And Tutorials / Design All Your Graphical Project With A.m Graphics Academy / Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.