Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,440 members, 7,850,541 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:46 AM

Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? (1014 Views)

To All Nairalanders That Supported Trump On His View About Islam / Dont Be Deceived In Church Today Brethren. / The 10 Most AWKWARD Moments In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by FXKing2012(m): 3:51pm On Feb 26, 2012
I was invited to a church today and when I got there the pastor laid so much emphasis on partnering, he even went as far as forcing people to partner and he made some of them pay right there. He said it's the best way for for God to be personally interested in us.
Now that got me wondering, is partnering even in the Bible because so many pastors and churches are now making it a very big issue. And why must partnering only be in the form of money? Can't people partner through some other means?

Let's have a healthy debate.
Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by Joagbaje(m): 4:27pm On Feb 26, 2012
FXKing2012:

I was invited to a church today and when I got there the pastor laid so much emphasis on partnership,

That's not a problem

he even went as far as forcing people to partner and he made some of them pay right there.

I don't like it when we over exaggerate . How can someone force anybody to partner. Pls explain. Every giving is a choice. And it's by individual faith.

Now that got me wondering, is partnership even in the Bible because so many pastors and churches are now making it a very big issue.

Philippians 4:15
. . . only you Philippians became my partners in giving and receiving.
LNT

And why must partnership only be in the form of money? Can't people partner through some other means?.

Why would you not want to give for the gospel .If you believe in the gospel you ought to give for it. But you can also give other things . Prayer ,intercession and personal work of service. But why would a christian not want to his money
Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by AntiPastChris(m): 4:53pm On Feb 26, 2012
these are all good answers
Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by Goshen360(m): 5:57pm On Feb 26, 2012
waiting for my turn before i jump into the pool of Bethesda so i can get healed. Am waiting
Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by crossman9(m): 6:08pm On Feb 26, 2012
The Prosperity Doctrine In The Churches

By crossmam9

The prosperity doctrine in the churches of the world and there Christian groups

This section in the book will cover what is true prosperity in the scripture and what the bible teaches we will take a look at all the so called health wealth gospels going around in the Christian world?

So why is the gospel “Big Business in the World of Christendom” there has been many books writing on this matter and some are very good, and some for the teaching and how

God makes you rich and some advocate you should be poor but let make this clear God does not want you poor nor does he want you rich?
He wants you to love people and show brotherly love caring for one another

But Jesus said this to do unto another as you have them to unto you for the sums up the law and the prophets

But don’t just take my word for this in my research of this matter I have more or less prove that the bible  has been hijacked with these prosperity preacher who are out to line their own empires I will give a list of the preachers who are clearly twisting the scripture for their own gain
But I will teach what prosperity gospel really is and why it is so appealing to the masses 

Well what I found in my time looking over this matter I found it was the poor who are where drawn to this gospel there also the most the ones being exploited with it that is shadily the tragedy here.

So these preachers are the benefactors who take the basic Subsistence of the weak and the Vulnerable with false concepts?

The Prosperity Scriptures

Jesus over turns the tables for making sales in the house of God
Mark 11:15On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple area and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves,

Mark 11:16and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts.

Mark 11:17And as he taught them, he said, "Is it not written: " 'My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations'? But you have made it 'a den of robbers.' "

Mark 11:17And as he taught them, he said, "Is it not written: " 'My house will be called a
house of prayer for all nations' ? But you have made it 'a den of robbers.' "

Mark 11:18The chief priests and the teachers of the law heard this and began looking for a way to kill him, for they feared him, because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching

Giving and sharing  not sowing

Acts 4:32-37

New International Version (NIV)

The Believers Share Their Possessions

Acts 4:32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had.

Acts 4:33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all

Acts 4:34 that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales

Acts 4:35 and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need.

Acts 4:36 Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means “son of encouragement”),

Acts 4:37 sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles’ feet.

Ananias and Sapphira

Acts 5:1 Now a man named Ananias, together with his wife Sapphira, also sold a piece of property.

Acts 5:2 With his wife’s full knowledge he kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles’ feet.

Acts 5:3 Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land?

Acts 5:4 Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied just to human beings but to God.”

Acts 5:5 When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard what had happened.

Acts 5:6 Then some young men came forward, wrapped up his body, and carried him out and buried him.

Acts 5:7 About three hours later his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 Peter asked her, “Tell me, is this the price you and Ananias got for the land?”
“Yes,” she said, “that is the price.”

Acts 5:9 Peter said to her, “How could you conspire to test the Spirit of the Lord? Listen! The feet of the men who buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out also.”

Acts 5:10 At that moment she fell down at his feet and died. Then the young men came in and, finding her dead, carried her out and buried her beside her husband.

Acts 5:11 Great fear seized the whole church and all who heard about these events.

1 Corinthians 9 (King James Version)

King James Version (KJV)

1 Corinthians 9:1 Am I am not an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord?

1 Corinthians 9:2 If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord.

1 Corinthians 9:3 Mine answer to them that do examine me is this,

1 Corinthians 9:4 Have we not power to eat and to drink?

1 Corinthians 9:5 Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?

1 Corinthians 9:6 Or I only and Barnabas, have not we power to forbear working?

1 Corinthians 9:7 Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock?

1 Corinthians 9:8 Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also?

1 Corinthians 9:9 For it is written in the law of Moses, thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?

1 Corinthians 9:10 Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope.

1 Corinthians 9:11 If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?

1 Corinthians 9:12If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.

1 Corinthians 9:13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?

1 Corinthians 9:14Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

1 Corinthians 9:15 But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me: for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void.

1 Corinthians 9:16For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!

1 Corinthians 9:17For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

1 Corinthians 9:18What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.

1 Corinthians 9:19For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.

1 Corinthians 9:20And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
1 Corinthians 9:21To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

1 Corinthians 9:22To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

1 Corinthians 9:23And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

1 Corinthians 9:24Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

1 Corinthians 9:25And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

1 Corinthians 9:26I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:

1 Corinthians 9:27But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

1 Corinthians 9:1-25 (New International Version)

Paul’s Rights as an Apostle

1 Corinthians 9:1 Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you not the result of my work in the Lord?

1 Corinthians 9:2 Even though I may not be an apostle to others, surely I am to you! For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.

1 Corinthians 9:3 This is my defense to those who sit in judgment on me.

1 Corinthians 9:4 Don’t we have the right to food and drink?

1 Corinthians 9:5 Don’t we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord’s brothers and Cephas[a]?

1 Corinthians 9:6 Or is it only I and Barnabas who lack the right to not work for a living?

1 Corinthians 9:7 Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat its grapes? Who tends a flock and does not drink the milk?

1 Corinthians 9:8 Do I say this merely on human authority? Doesn’t the Law say the same thing?

1 Corinthians 9:9 For it is written in the Law of Moses: “Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain.”[b] Is it about oxen that God is concerned?

1 Corinthians 9:10 Surely he says this for us, doesn’t he? Yes, this was written for us, because whoever plows and threshes should be able to do so in the hope of sharing in the harvest.

1 Corinthians 9:11 If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you?

1 Corinthians 9:12 If others have this right of support from you, shouldn’t we have it all the more? But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.

1 Corinthians 9:13 Don’t you know that those who serve in the temple get their food from the temple, and that those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar?

1 Corinthians 9:14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

1 Corinthians 9:15 But I have not used any of these rights. And I am not writing this in the hope that you will do such things for me, for I would rather die than allow anyone to
deprive me of this boast.

1 Corinthians 9:16 For when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, since I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!

1 Corinthians 9:17 If I preach voluntarily, I have a reward; if not voluntarily, I am simply discharging the trust committed to me.

1 Corinthians 9:18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make full use of my rights as a preacher of the gospel.

Paul’s Use of His Freedom

1 Corinthians 9:19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.

1 Corinthians 9:20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.

1 Corinthians 9:21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law.

1 Corinthians 9:22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some.

1 Corinthians 9:23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.
The Need for Self-Discipline

1 Corinthians 9:24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

1 Corinthians 9:25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

Footnotes:
a. 1 Corinthians 9:5 That is, Peter
b. 1 Corinthians 9:9 Deut. 25:4

2 Corinthians 2:17 (New International Version,)
(N.I.V) 2 Corinthians 2:17 Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, as those sent from God.
2 Corinthians 2:17 (King James Version)
2 Corinthians 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.
2 Corinthians 11:6 I may indeed be untrained as a speaker, but I do have knowledge. We have made this perfectly clear to you in every way. 7 Was it a sin for me to lower myself in order to elevate you by preaching the gospel of God to you free of charge?

2 Peter 2:3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

2 Peter 2:3 In their greed they will make up clever lies to get hold of your money. But God condemned them long ago, and their destruction will not be delayed.

2 Peter 2:3 And by greed and fictitious accounts they will make profit among you, these whose judgment from the first has not been idle and their destruction does not sleep.

Matthew 16:26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

Generosity Encouraged

2 Corinthians 9:6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.

2 Corinthians 9:7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

2 Corinthians 9:8 And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

2 Corinthians 9:9 As it is written: “They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor; their righteousness endures forever.”[a]

2 Corinthians 9:10 Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness.

2 Corinthians 9:11 You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.

2 Corinthians 9:12 This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of the Lord’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God.

2 Corinthians 9:13 Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, others will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else.

2 Corinthians 9:14 And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you.

2 Corinthians 9:15 Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!
[quote][/quote]

when i was in christ embassy they where teaching you should borrow to pay tithes

I rebuke the woman so I made the art work for this it is in my book with the names to expose the minister as well

Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by Goshen360(m): 6:42pm On Feb 26, 2012
Free will giving is what the new testament do. There should not be forcing any believer into doing anything in the church. My brothers, I reside in the USA and I weep in my heart how pastors use all kinds of gimmicks to take money from people. The people of God should be taught the importance and benefits of giving rather than using ungodly acts to take money from people. Should God's people support God's work? YES. Should pastors ask money when in need for the church? YES. Should pastors use gimmicks and ungodly means to cajole God's people to take money from them? NO. This is the problem with the church.

A man of God once brought in casket into a church here in the USA and he said God told him to do that. He said, the people should write whatever they want it to die in the lives and come drop into the casket but if they don't have anything they want it to die, they should bring a "SEED" in their hand to sow. I look at him and shake my head. This could not be God speaking to this pastor, his belly is speaking to him. Yes, it it true they needed money to spread the gospel and am not disputing that but using all sorts of ungodly acts not found in the bible is what i stand again.

Thank you all.
Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Feb 26, 2012
i wasnt surprised to see the first person to hurriedly reply to the op. by their fruits you shall know them grin
Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by FXKing2012(m): 8:14pm On Feb 26, 2012
Joagbaje:

I don't like it when we over exaggerate . How can someone force anybody to partner. Pls explain. Every giving is a choice. [/b]And it's by individual faith.

[b]You force people when u call them out, ask them to stand up or ask them to raise their hands if they are not partners. You dont have to put a gun to somebody's head to force the person to do what u want, u can embarrass (or attempt to embarrass) somebody to do your will.
In order to avoid embarrassment people can do anything.
Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by PA1982(f): 8:27pm On Feb 26, 2012
Philippians 4:15
. . . only you Philippians became my partners in giving and receiving. LNT

This verse has to be read in context.
It's about a church giving to Paul in a moment of need, not parishioners 'partnering' the church.

From the OP
He said it's the best way for for God to be personally interested in us.

Simony?
Perhaps not in its strictest sense
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simony

but somehow the idea the Almighty is moved by money grates on me.
Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by FXKing2012(m): 9:17pm On Feb 26, 2012
PA1982:

but somehow the idea the Almighty is moved by money grates on me.

It pains me I have to agree with you on this.
Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by crossman9(m): 10:33pm On Feb 26, 2012
Posted by: FXKing2012

i am sorry for being so hard on you the other day you need the truth

and bashing you was not christ like it was crossman9 like jesus is a soft voice at the times of need

Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by tpia5: 10:36pm On Feb 26, 2012
you people are so creepy.
Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by crossman9(m): 10:40pm On Feb 26, 2012
Topic Summary
Posted on: Today at 10:36:04 PMPosted by: tpia@ 
Insert Quote
you people are so creepy.
Posted on: Today at 10:33:16 PMPosted by: crossman9 

in which way are we creepy man
Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by Nobody: 5:37am On Feb 27, 2012
You force people to give by either alluding to some form of punishment if the person doesnt give (the modern day misuse of dat verze in Malachi) or guilting them into giving (like UNICEF),

Just like everything else in Nigeria, most concepts, that may have started with good intentions, become abused. NOW pastors have so many tricks they use in the name of Jesus.

Theres nothing wrong with financing a church. My belief is a church should be a model example of honesty and transparency. The parable of the talents teaches one that God is interested in how you use and spend your talents.
Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by Joagbaje(m): 6:38am On Feb 27, 2012
FXKing2012:

You force people when u call them out, ask them to stand up or ask them to raise their hands if they are not partners. You dont have to put a gun to somebody's head to force the person to do what u want, u can embarrass (or attempt to embarrass) somebody to do your will.
In order to avoid embarrassment people can do anything.

I agree with you .its not right. You don't embarrass people . You simply Teach the bible,Inspire and encourage people if theres a project for the church to do. It's left between them and God. It's God that can make people give,if God has not stirred a man to give, no body should.
Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by crossman9(m): 9:55am On Feb 27, 2012
Can a rich person get into heaven?

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

- Matthew 19:24

SCRIPTURE FOCUS: Matthew 19:16-30 Mark 10:17-21 Luke 18:18-30

In the verses immediately preceding this quote by Jesus we have the story of a young man who ran to Jesus, knelt down, and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?" "I have kept all the commandments," he said, "since I was young: what do I still lack?"

Probably this young man had kept all the commandments in the literal sense: but he still loved the world. And Jesus knew that in this particular case, the young man could not be healed of such a desperate disease except through a desperate remedy. So Jesus commanded, "Go sell all that you have, give it to the poor, and come and follow me." Upon hearing this the young man went away sad, because he owned so much. This young man would not store up treasures in heaven at such a great price.

Seeing this, Jesus "Looked around and said to his disciples," (Mark 10:23) "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God." It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God!"

The disciples were astonished at this remark and said among themselves, "Who then can be saved." The rich have so many great advantages. They are free from worry about the basic necessities of life. They do not face the thousands of difficulties of the poor. If a rich man, with all these advantages has difficulty entering the kingdom of God, how could anyone else get in?

Some have argued that Jesus partially retracts his statement on the difficulty of salvation for the rich in Mark 10:24. Here some manuscripts add to Jesus statement the phrase "those who trust in riches" seemingly watering down the position of having riches to trusting in them. However, this phrase does not appear in the best manuscripts. And even if the added phrase is accepted, consider that (1) Jesus immediately confirms the idea again in the next verse by the awful declaration "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." (2) But more important consider that all three sentences say the same thing. For it indeed is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for those who have riches not to trust in them!

Jesus could see His disciples were astonished at this hard saying. "Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God." Can a rich person go to heaven? Jesus' answer: It is possible but difficult.

So what is a "rich person?" How much does it take to be "rich?" Are you rich? "Rich man" here means not only a man who has heaped up gold like dust or silver like sand, but anyone who has more than the necessities and conveniences of life. Anyone who has food and clothing for himself and his family and something more, is rich.

The kingdom of God and heaven mean the same thing. But this does not directly relate to the kingdom of glory in the hereafter (though that, without question, will follow) but the "kingdom of heaven" is most directly related to true religion on earth. In other words, Jesus is saying that it is absolutely impossible, unless by God's power, that a rich person should be a Christian--to "have the mind that was in Christ" or to "walk as Jesus walked" Such are the hindrances and temptations of riches.

How does wealth hinder holiness? To list them would require a large volume, so we will only touch on a few of them.

Riches--hindrance to holiness

Hindrance to faith

Consider the hindrance to faith prompted by riches. The root of all religion is faith, without which it is impossible to please God . There are several ways to interpret the term "faith."

(1) You may consider faith as the "evidence of things not seen" --a belief in the invisible things of God. If so, then riches hinder this kind of faith in that they tend to focus your mind on the visible and material rather than the invisible and eternal, thus making faith in the unseen difficult.

(2) Perhaps you take "faith" as meaning confidence or trust in God. What a tendency for wealth to destroy this! Having wealth tends to make a person trust in wealth. Rather than looking to God for happiness or protection, the rich trust in their riches to provide these things.

(3) Or if you take faith in the proper Christian sense, as a divine confidence in a pardoning God; riches are a deadly--almost insurmountable--hindrance to faith! Can a rich man lay aside his power and prestige and come to God as a sinner on the level with his poorest employee; with the "beggar who lies at his gate full of sores?" Can a rich man have saving faith? Impossible; unless through some power that made the heavens and the earth. Yet without humbling himself like this, a rich person cannot, in any sense, "enter into the kingdom of God."

So however you understand faith, riches are a great hindrance to it. This is why it is difficult--almost impossible--for the rich to enter the kingdom of God. They are hindered from having faith.

Hindrance to love

Wealth is an equal hindrance to the first fruit of faith, loving God. "If any man love the world," the apostle Paul said, "the love of the father is not in him" How is it possible for a man or woman to not love the world who is constantly surrounded with all the world's allurements? How can this person still hear the still small voice which says, "My son, give me your heart?" What power (unless the Almighty's) enable the rich person to honestly sing,--

Keep me dead to all below,

Only Christ resolved to know;

Firm and disengaged, and free,

Seeking all my bliss in Thee!

Wealth is an obstacle to love of God. But it is an equal hindrance to loving our neighbor as ourselves; that is, to loving all men and women as Christ loved us. A rich man may indeed love people of his own party, race, or those of his own opinion. He may love those who love him: "Do not even the pagans do the same?" But a rich person cannot have pure disinterested good-will to every child of man. This kind of love can only spring from the love of God, which his great possessions expelled from his soul. This is why it is difficult--almost impossible--for the rich to enter the kingdom of God. They are hindered from loving.

Hindrance to humility

Where does humility come from? The love of God is the source-spring of all true humility. Therefore as far as riches hinder the love of God they likewise hinder true humility. But beyond this, riches cut us off from conversations which might make us aware of our own defects, weaknesses, and shortcomings. People seldom tell a rich man what they really think of him. Without this frank and humbling conversation we are likely to grow old in our faults until we die at the zenith of our deeply rutted imperfections. The rich are seldom humble.

Hindrance to meekness

Without humility, meekness cannot survive; for "of pride cometh contention". Jesus directs us to learn of Him and at the same time "to be meek and lowly in heart." Riches are as great a hindrance to meekness as they are to humility. Wealth prevents an attitude of humility which, in turn, prevents meekness. Why? Because meekness increases in proportion to our own decreasing opinion of ourselves. Conversely, the higher we think of ourselves, the less meekness we exhibit. Thus, since riches inflate a person's self-opinion it likewise decreases the Christian virtue of meekness.

This is why it is difficult--almost impossible--for the rich to enter the kingdom of God.

Hindrance to yieldedness

This Christian virtue is closely allied to meekness and humility. For lack of a better term we shall call it "yieldedness." It is a readiness to submit to others, to give up our own will. This seems to be the quality St. James credits to "the wisdom from above," which we translate "easily entreated;" easy to be convinced of what is true; easily persuaded. How rarely is this characteristic found in a rich person!

Hindrance to patience

How uncommon it is to find patience among the rich and powerful. Unless, of course, there is the counterbalance of long and severe suffering, which God sometimes grants to rich people he loves, as an antidote to their riches. This is not a rarity: God sometimes sends pain and sickness or other great crosses to those who have great possessions. By these means, "patience has its perfect work," until they are "complete and lacking nothing" (James 1:4).

These are merely a few of the hindrance to holiness surrounding the rich on every side. Riches poison the soul. Riches keep the person from holy qualities like faith, love, humility, meekness, yieldedness, patience. This is why it is difficult--almost impossible--for a rich person to be saved.

Riches--temptation to sin

Not only are riches a great hindrance to holy qualities, they are likewise a temptation to unholy dispositions.

Temptation to Atheism

The greatest temptation which naturally flows from riches in Atheism--even to the extent of complete forgetfulness of God--as if there was no such Being in the universe. "Enjoy life, you deserve it. . . you owe it to yourself" is the creed of the rich. This philosophy is common and its prophets are persuasive: "you only go around once in life, grab all the gusto you can." They presume that God (if there is one) is "watching from a distance" and all that matters is the tangible, the material; what you have and enjoy. Materialism is Atheism. Laugh on; play on; sing on; dance on: but "For all these things God will bring you to judgment!" ( ) Riches promote Atheism--living like the material is more important than the spiritual. This is why rich people have great difficulty being Christians--it is much easier for the rich to be Atheists--at least practically live like an Atheist. This is why it is difficult--almost impossible--for the rich to enter the kingdom of God. Atheists do not enter the kingdom of God. Atheists do not enter the kingdom--even those who do not claim to be Atheists, yet live like it.

Temptation to idolatry

From Atheism there is an easy transition to idolatry; from the worship of no God to the worship of false gods. In fact, he who does not love God will sooner or later love the works of God's hand--the creature, if not the creator. To how many varieties of idolatry is the rich man or woman exposed! He is under constant temptation to "love the world" in all its branches--"the desire of the flesh, the desire of the eyes, and the pride of life" .

(1) Desire of the flesh. The rich person is under countless temptations to gratify the flesh. Understand this clearly. The "desire of the flesh" does not refer to only one desire, but gratifying all outward senses. It is equal idolatry to seek our happiness in gratifying any of these senses. Some may boast that they would never gratify the fleshly desire through sexual promiscuity or drunkenness, but they seek happiness in the sensuality of eating great feasts. They avoid unhealthy alcohol taking care of their bodies; they just keep the soul dead through their sensuousness.

(2) Desire of the eyes. Rich people are equally surrounded by temptation from the "desire of the eyes;" that is, seeking happiness in gratifying the imagination, of which the eyes are the chief minister. How do you get pleasure through the eyes? The pleasures of the imagination are those things which are grand, wonderful, beautiful, or new. Have you not found this true? Rich people have a taste for grand objects and beautiful things. . . but especially for new things. The desire for novelty--newness-is as natural to men and women as the desire for meat or drink.

Now, consider the multitude of temptations to this kind of idolatry, which naturally flow from riches! How strongly are the rich tempted to seek happiness in grand and beautiful houses, in elegant furniture, in valuable and curious artwork, in luxurious automobiles, and perhaps in that most trivial of all trivialities--expensive designer clothing. The rich of lower mentality must have every new thing which they are told is fashionable.

And the rich who are of a more elevated mind are tempted to seek happiness in poetry, history, music, philosophy, or curious arts and science. Although these things all have their use and can be pursued purely, seeking happiness in any of them, instead of God, is outright idolatry. Therefore since riches furnish a man or woman increasing opportunity to indulge these desires shouldn't it be asked, "Is not the life of a rich person, above all others, full of great temptations to indulge the "desire of the eyes" on earth.

(3) The pride of life. Or consider how much a rich man or woman is tempted to seek happiness in "the pride of life." The apostle Paul was not meaning pomp, or showing off, or traveling with an impressive entourage as much as the "honor that comes from men," whether deserved or not. A rich person is sure to encounter this; it is a trap he can not escape. Why is it universally true that "if you do well" and increase in goods, "men will speak well of you." Riches bring honor.

And who can withstand this honor and applause without beginning to "think more highly of himself than he ought to think" succumbing to the temptation of the "pride of life." How can a rich person escape pride for this reason alone--his wealth attracts praise from every quarter? Praise is generally poison to the soul; and the more pleasing, the more fatal. This is particularly true when it is undeserved. But not only praise--deserved or undeserved--but everything about the rich man or woman tends to inspire and increase pride. The opulent home, elegant furniture, well-chosen art, expensive automobile, fine suits or dresses have an almost irresistible tendency to make the rich person think more highly of him or herself than they ought to think. Riches bring the temptation to the "pride of life." This is why it is difficult--almost impossible--for the rich to enter the kingdom of God. They are constantly tempted to idolatry--to gratify the desires of the flesh, or eyes, or submit to the temptation to the pride of life.

Temptation to self-will.

All of us start out life with a natural self-will--a selfish drive to have our own way. Riches naturally feed and increase self-will. Employees' jobs depend on pleasing the rich owner or boss. Friends and acquaintances work hard at obliging the rich person. The rich person's will is continually being indulged and thus strengthened; until eventually he or she is unable to submit to either God or men. The rich inherit a great temptation to self-will.

Temptation to other sins.

Riches have a tendency to nourish every attribute which is contrary to the love of God. But they have an equal tendency to feed every passion that is contrary to the love of our neighbor. The rich are tempted to contempt, particularly to those who are inferior, and nothing is more contrary to love. Or consider resentment of some supposed or real offense. Perhaps even revenge, which God claims as His own peculiar prerogative. But at least there is anger, for it easily arises in the mind of the rich, "What! How dare they treat me this way!" Related to anger is peevishness and irritability. Are the rich guilty of these more than the poor? Experience shows that they are. The wealthy tend to be the hardest to please, considering any kind of less-than-perfect workmanship as a "cross to bear." They are the quickest to throw their weight around and insist that things be done over again--and right this time. Ask any car wash attendant if this is true. Peevishness and irritability are exceptional temptations of the rich.

Or consider how the rich are continually tempted to self-gratification, the opposite of self-denial. Jesus "said to them all" (the whole multitude, not just the apostles only) "If any man will come after me," (will be a real Christian) "let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me." (Luke 9:23) How hard a saying for those who are living the good life among their piled up possessions! But the Scripture cannot be ignored. Therefore, unless a man or woman does indeed "deny self" every pleasure which diverts pleasure in God, "and take up his cross daily," (obeys every command of God no matter how contrary to the flesh) he cannot be a disciple of Christ; he cannot "enter the kingdom of God."

Think further about this important idea of self-denial. How many rich people in today's church really do actually "deny themselves and take up their cross daily?" How many rich church people do you know who resolutely abstain from every pleasure unless they know that it prepares them for taking greater pleasure in God? Who of you who are now rich deny yourselves like you did when you were poor? Who willingly endure labor or pain like you did when your net worth was nothing? Do you fast now as often as you did then? Do you rise early to pray now as you did then? Do you endure cold, or heat, wind, or rain as cheerfully as ever? Do you see one reason why so few increase in possessions, without decreasing in grace? Because they no longer deny themselves and take up their crosses daily. They no longer endure hardship as good soldiers of Jesus Christ.

"Go to now, you rich men! Weep and howl for the judgments that are coming upon you;" The "canker of your gold and silver" will be "a testimony against you," and will "eat your flesh as fire!" What a pitiful condition! And who will help you? You need someone to deal plainly with you. But few will speak as plain to you as to one of your children or employees. No one who hopes to gain by your favor, or fears losing by your displeasure will tell you the truth. O that God would cause these words to sink deep into your hearts! You have been a friend of the church, and have given when the Lord's work was in special need. Might we even say you love God's work and his ministers?

Here is the word for you. You know that it is difficult--almost impossible--for the rich to enter the kingdom of God. But it is possible with God. Let your heart be whole with God! Seek your happiness in Him alone. Be careful to not cling to the dust of your riches. "This earth is not your home." Work to use the world and enjoy God, rather than using God and enjoying the world. Cling to all the things you possess as if you were a homeless refugee. Be a good steward of the many gifts of God; so that when you are called forward to give an account, He will say "Well done, good and faithful servant, enter into the joy of your Lord!"
Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by FXKing2012(m): 6:33am On Feb 28, 2012
Joagbaje:

I agree with you .its not right. You don't embarrass people . You simply Teach the bible,Inspire and encourage people if theres a project for the church to do. It's left between them and God. It's God that can make people give,if God has not stirred a man to give, no body should.

Thank you for agreeing.
Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by mrmayor(m): 9:18am On Feb 28, 2012
Joagbaje:

wow at bolded, there is hope for me after all. wink
Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by Nobody: 9:57am On Feb 28, 2012
Joagbaje:

That's not a problem

I don't like it when we over exaggerate . How can someone force anybody to partner. Pls explain. Every giving is a choice. And it's by individual faith.

[b[b]]Philippians 4:15[/b]
. . . only you Philippians became my partners in giving and receiving.
LNT[/b]Why would you not want to give for the gospel .If you believe in the gospel you ought to give for it. But you can also give other things . Prayer ,intercession and personal work of service. But why would a christian not want to his money
I hate it when people quote Bible verses out of context with the intent of twisting the meaning of the verse, here is the full text.
10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned before, but you lacked opportunity. 11 Not that I speak [g]from want, for I have learned to be [h]content in whatever circumstances I am. 12 I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. 13 I can do all things [i]through Him who strengthens me. 14 Nevertheless, you have done well to share with me in my affliction.
15 You yourselves also know, Philippians, that at the [j]first preaching of the gospel, after I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you alone; 16
Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by Nobody: 10:17am On Feb 28, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thats Pastor Jo's specialty, Pls dont correct him,
Re: Is Partnering in Church Supported By The Bible? by FXKing2012(m): 10:24am On Feb 28, 2012
mrmayor:

wow at bolded, there is hope for me after all. wink

LOL

(1) (Reply)

Don't Put On Red Things Today Announced By Pastor Adeboye In Redemption Camp. / Lord's Chosen Loses Over N100 Million Since Closure(full Report) / Jesus Is God - Allah Or Not ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.