Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,712 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf (5042 Views)

Kabir Akingbolu: Lawyer Sues Buhari Over Failure To Tackle Fuel Shortage / Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence / Aregbesola Inaugurates N125m Power Station (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by Latty88(f): 6:23am On Feb 27, 2012
February 27, 2012 by Friday Olokor, Abuja ⁠7 Comments

A legal practitioner and Executive Director of Human Rights and Accountability Initiative, Mr. Peter Odia, has sued the Central Bank of Nigeria Governor Lamido Sanusi for the donation of N125m to victims of bomb blasts in Kano and St. Theresa’s Catholic Church in Madalla, Niger State.

The apex bank and Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Mohammed Adoke, were mentioned as 2nd and 3rd respondents in the suit.

The plaintiff wants the the Federal High Court, Abuja to declare that the defendants’ action of making the N100m donation to the Kano State Government and N25m to St. Theresa’s Catholic Church contravenes the CBN Act and is therefore illegal.

Odia also wants the court to declare that the donation “is misappropriation/misapplication of public funds, illegal, unlawful and unconstitutional”.

According to him, by virtue of Section 6 of the National Emergency Management Agency (Establishment) Act 2004, the action of the 1st and 2nd defendants “is a usurpation/assumption of the responsibility and functions of NEMA and therefore unlawful, null and void”.

Odia added, “By virtue of the CBN (Establishment) Act 2007, and the Laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the 2nd defendant, being an agency of government, is not empowered to make donations in exercise of corporate social responsibility.

“The objective of the 1st and 2nd defendants as clearly defined in the Act establishing it does not include making such voluntary donations, nor does it give powers to the CBN Board to create any special fund to give donations.

“It is also clearly stated in section 80 (3) and (4) of the 2009 constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended) on how public funds are to be appropriated and expended.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/n125m-donations-lawyer-sues-sanusi-agf/
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by Lasinoh: 7:29am On Feb 27, 2012
David vs Goliath ni?
Mu he he he he he
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by Obiagu1(m): 7:34am On Feb 27, 2012
Good. Lets not give someone power he does not have.
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by Pukkah: 7:36am On Feb 27, 2012
It's good to test the correctness of Sanusi's action in court.
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by Nobody: 8:54am On Feb 27, 2012
Sanusi's move was ethically wrong.

At least, someone is trying his best to rescue Sanusi and his likes from the mental slavery of "born to rule".
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by strangest(m): 9:44am On Feb 27, 2012
Haha, SLS do have a case to answer,
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by alahamad(m): 9:47am On Feb 27, 2012
This lawyer just seeks attention but happens to do it wrongly, if the tables turn against him, he'll be jailed, stupid attention seeker,
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by pejol: 9:57am On Feb 27, 2012
HC-8758series Induction & Coded Door Lock,security lock,door handle

Non-contact auto-induction examination

The induction ID card for open and manage the door

Can setup on the door lock

The password and the card compose 4 kinds of pattern for open the door

32 cards for open then door

12 passwords for open then door

1 passwords for managememt

The warning after input 3 wrong passwords

Prevents the password to peep

Energy-saving standby, Low voltage warning

Have the emergency mechanical key

Dissociation handle, anti-burglary electrically control lock

high strength stainless steel panel

contact Joseph on(call: +2348078440712 or email:wanpele4good@yahoo.com or bb ping 21C56585)

Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by soapdish(f): 10:12am On Feb 27, 2012
It is wrong to call him a silly attention seeker!!!. There is nothing wrong in having the court determine the legality or otherwise of SLS's action.No matter how noble this singular act may be,people in power should not usurp powers invested in others so as not to set unlawful precedents.
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by bakila: 10:14am On Feb 27, 2012
Good, hope he has the ability to do a good job of prosecuting the claim.
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by Samar1: 10:39am On Feb 27, 2012
The time he gaue out such donation to south universities they did not sue him to court,i fools
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by BMZK: 10:48am On Feb 27, 2012
Human Rights and Accountability Initiative. I guess this is a new fondation created recently in Nija, otherwise i would have asked how many cases do they have in court awaiting for trial? Or maybe they have a diiferent view of accountability than the rest of us. Na today,
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by Okijajuju1(m): 10:49am On Feb 27, 2012
All of you haters trying to pull Sanusi down are wasting your time.

I have had the chance to speak to the man and the one thing you get always from him is . . .  He does it all by the books . . . This lawyer is just looking for face time.

SLS is not even bothered. .
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by strangest(m): 10:51am On Feb 27, 2012
al-ahamad:

This lawyer just seeks attention but happens to do it wrongly, if the tables turn against him, he'll be jailed, silly attention seeker,

Haha, because SLS na your brother abi? abi na because he dey propagate sharia. make we dey watch, we go soon know who dey seek attention
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by Nobody: 11:04am On Feb 27, 2012
sanusi ischwing more than he can bite, please the court should just help us remove the stinking,unkempt moslem fanatic. he is still dancing to the tunes of 60's
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by i1: 11:07am On Feb 27, 2012
in all fairness the lawyer is just seeking attention, if i was SLS's lawyer i will tell the court that he lacks the locus(right to sue), and any well meaning judge will grant it.
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by Nobody: 11:48am On Feb 27, 2012
Cheap popularity
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by puskin: 12:00pm On Feb 27, 2012
. . . . .and how is the lawyer an attention seeker, if it were the late Gani that took SLS to court, U would all be cheering. . . . .now someone is trying to do something right through the legal means and everyone is screaming.

Mscheeeeew.
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by manny4life(m): 12:17pm On Feb 27, 2012
i.:

in all fairness the lawyer is just seeking attention, if i was SLS's lawyer i will tell the court that he lacks the locus(right to sue), and any well meaning judge will grant it.

Ok Mr. lawyer, how does he not have a right to sue? Is the CBN not the Banker to the FG? Is it not the people's money that run the CBN? Or does CBN uses foreign currency rather than Nigerian currency? undecided undecided undecided When you make donations that are outside your jurisdiction, one that raises eyebrows, then you think it's ok. He's lucky he isn't here in the U.S., several Human Right Activist and their various groups would have pressured Congress to throw him out, nonsense. angry angry angry
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by beeman80: 12:43pm On Feb 27, 2012
@Moderator please correct the spelling of your "LAYWRER" grin
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by uche13: 12:46pm On Feb 27, 2012
Annoying attention seeking lawyer. Even a law school student knows that this case is dead on arrival angry. How can he establish that he has locus-standi to institute the case in the first instance.
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by Enice(m): 1:18pm On Feb 27, 2012
Mr lawyer wen no know him work na suwegbe ooo! Mr lawyer should know that with the CBN act 2007, in matters of CBN internal affairs, the CBN govt. is answerable only to the CBN board and to no other institution.
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by Kx: 1:26pm On Feb 27, 2012
i.:

if i was SLS's lawyer i will tell the court that he lacks the [size=14pt]locus standi[/size](right to sue)

For the avoidance of doubt,
who has a locus standi on cases/issues affecting Nigerians and Nigerians unborn other than Nigerians?
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by agog: 1:56pm On Feb 27, 2012
yes, sanusi is wrong. why cant he make the donation on his own account, after all he cant afford it,
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by faragai24: 1:59pm On Feb 27, 2012
We are waiting patiently with our ears open to hear about the Interrogation of the (7) seven christian caught in the process of Bombing church in Bauchi and Jos and their probable link to previous Bombing of churches and Mosque in Nigeria in disguise of Boko Haram.
History will not forgive Media organisations if they failed to follow up the case and subsequent report the full interrogation of this people.
The most needed question people do ask are:
1. Who are there sponsors of this people
2. What role do they play in the Previous
Bombing of churches in Nigeria.
3. Why are they disguising in the Name of Boko
Haram.
4. They should tell us their Maiduguri Branch.
It is now pertinent that Christian are the real Boko Haramist in Nigeria satanistically emulsifying under the name of Boko haram Sec. C,A,N should try and change the Name from Boko Haram to something else, it is a shame that since they were caught in action nobody is willing to comment on the issue; only few of them are saying "there were not christian" some say "They change name" all in the process of denial, there was a proverb that say " the Evil Men do live with them" i am sure Nemesis will hunt all of you down.
Each and everyone Knows that whenever there is a mistake from the part of Muslim faithful, christian brothers will bombered the Media calling Muslims with different Names, Insult, etc and some even call for division of this country, and now as the truth is coming out everyone has closed his utterences, pretending to be Mute, Deaf, and dumf, what a selfish Christian.
http://saharareporters.com/news-page/christians-caught-attempting-bomb-own-church-bauchi-premium-times
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by pssword: 2:01pm On Feb 27, 2012
I think it is right to establish a precedent so that these public officials will stop spending public money like it's their own. On what grounds does Sanusi have to give a donation on behalf of the CBN?
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by Ninapha(f): 2:20pm On Feb 27, 2012
I can not believe that this laywer just woke up and sued SLS without authorities to his claim. If we hv lawyers and people who understand the rule of law in the house, What is your take on this matter. Does the laywer have a case here?

I dont mean people who ask laywers what they should write ooo. cool
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by Kobojunkie: 2:32pm On Feb 27, 2012
Who be this lawyer? Make im invite Nigerians who believe in his cause to join him in this? We need to start supporting causes that we believe is in our interest . . . . numbers matter. This sort of case should not be allowed to fade and die without any resolution to the main.
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by HIROSHI: 3:10pm On Feb 27, 2012
faragai24:

We are waiting patiently with our ears open to hear about the Interrogation of the (7) seven christian caught in the process of Bombing church in Bauchi and Jos and their probable link to previous Bombing of churches and Mosque in Nigeria in disguise of Boko Haram.
History will not forgive Media organisations if they failed to follow up the case and subsequent report the full interrogation of this people.
Haram.
It is now pertinent that Christian are the real Boko Haramist in Nigeria satanistically emulsifying under the name of Boko haram Sec. C,A,N should try and change the Name from Boko Haram to something else, it is a shame that since they were caught in action nobody is willing to comment on the issue; only few of them are saying "there were not christian" some say "They change name" all in the process of denial, there was a proverb that say " the Evil Men do live with them" i am sure Nemesis will hunt all of you down.
Each and everyone Knows that whenever there is a mistake from the part of Muslim faithful, christian brothers will bombered the Media calling Muslims with different Names, Insult, etc and some even call for division of this country, and now as the truth is coming out everyone has closed his utterences, pretending to be Mute, Deaf, and dumf, what a selfish Christian.
http://saharareporters.com/news-page/christians-caught-attempting-bomb-own-church-bauchi-premium-times

Dude are you for real? Or the train just dropped you from Sudan/Afghanistan?
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by strangest(m): 3:24pm On Feb 27, 2012
faragai24:

Haram.

I wont be surprise if you are not the author of that nonsense trying to link Christians with suicide bombings, same christians work with al qaeda, al shaebab abi? dumbs like you and other BH members should stop misunderstanding your koran and giving other muslims bad names,
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by i1: 3:50pm On Feb 27, 2012
to all who complain, gani too had the same problem with the issue of locus(locus standii). the fact that a person is a nigerian doesn't mean that all offences committed against nigerians can be sued for by him, he has to show that he was wronged particularly by that action.
Re: N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf by Kobojunkie: 3:59pm On Feb 27, 2012
^^^ He does not have to sue ON BEHALF OF ALL NIGERIANS. . . . he can simply sue as a citizen, which I suspect is what he is doing now. Now as other citizens jump in to support him, this becomes more likely a case of Nigerians against the CBN

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kano State Donates 52 Trucks Of Relief Materials To Niger Republic. / When Will APC Stop Lying? Pictures. / 2019: Atiku Finally Travelled To USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.