Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,604 members, 7,770,592 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:54 AM

Nigeria Union Of Teachers (nut) Protest Downgrading Of Tai Solarin University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria Union Of Teachers (nut) Protest Downgrading Of Tai Solarin University (3208 Views)

Tai Solarin University Of Education (TASUED) 2015/2016 Admission Forum. / Sheila Solarin Of Mayflower School Is Dead (Tai Solarin's Widow) / Ogun Scraps Tai Solarin University & Merges Four IT Polytechnics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Union Of Teachers (nut) Protest Downgrading Of Tai Solarin University by mukina2: 12:54pm On Feb 27, 2012
Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) has kicked against the decision of the Ogun State Government withdrawing the status of the Tai Solarin University of Education (TASUED) as a university, saying the act is a disaster for teacher training in Nigeria.

The Ogun State government had recently announced after one of its executive meetings, the withdrawal of the status of TASUED and making it an institute of education under the Olabisi Onabanjo University.

President of NUT, Comrade Michael Alogba Olukoya, in an interview with newsmen said the idea was ill conceived and will reverse the gains made in the production of well- equipped teachers for schools in the country.

“The university, in our opinion is a university designed to train qualified personnel and professionals to service the manpower demands of our nation’s education sector and teaching profession. The university remains the symbol of professional veneration for teachers and education practitioners, the first of its kind.

“Such noble project should not be sacrificed on the altar of partisan politics. We therefore call on the Ogun State Government to reconsider its decision which is already causing anxiety among the students population,” Olukoya said.

He said that the NUT remains solidly behind the institution, while calling on all “well meaning Nigerians to intervene and use all legal means to air their disapproval to this obnoxious government policy.”

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=155637:teachers-protest-downgrading-of-tai-solarin-university-&catid=1:news&Itemid=2
Re: Nigeria Union Of Teachers (nut) Protest Downgrading Of Tai Solarin University by coolestboy(m): 1:46pm On Feb 27, 2012
mukina2:

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=155637:teachers-protest-downgrading-of-tai-solarin-university-&catid=1:news&Itemid=2
NUT just made a nice statement, i wonder how a government wiil just wake up one morning and decides to scrap a full-fledged university, not even a mere uni but uni of education. A school that d whole nation looks up to 4 d improvement and standardization of our educational section.
I wonder what d minister of education was doing concernin dis issue. I think d school should be owned and managed by d federal govt because its d 1st of its kinds(just like U.I).
Re: Nigeria Union Of Teachers (nut) Protest Downgrading Of Tai Solarin University by Demdem(m): 1:49pm On Feb 27, 2012
I disagree with NUT on this issue. I believe the Ogun state govt made the right decision. i prefer less but highly efficient and well funded schools to multitude of schools that are useless.
Re: Nigeria Union Of Teachers (nut) Protest Downgrading Of Tai Solarin University by mkmyers45(m): 2:20pm On Feb 27, 2012
Demdem:

I disagree with NUT on this issue. I believe the Ogun state govt made the right decision. i prefer less but highly efficient and well funded schools to multitude of schools that are useless.

Exactly!!! If the government is trying and sincerely looking to create a quality and efficient university in the state that will be properly managed, then why not?
Re: Nigeria Union Of Teachers (nut) Protest Downgrading Of Tai Solarin University by 2great: 2:52pm On Feb 27, 2012
Thumbs up NUT! Its one of d most degrading decision,not only 2 d varsity comunity but 2 d state&Nig @large.How wil a gov scrap a whole uni dat has produced NYSC grad8s in d past 7yrs jst because it's born by a politcal oponent?d goddamn dumb Gov try hidn unda d shadow of improvement&baseless arguments,l wonda if d guy's got a modicum of sense.Did he tot 'bout d implicatn of dat on d employment status of d host comunity?did he consider d emotnal efect on d products &many more? Is OOU gud enough on its own talkless of acomodating anoda?is OOU even beta dan d sch in questn?I'm not a fan of d sch,but its a mad decision,I knw several worse unis. Wot of d moderated private sec schs call unis+som mushroom govmnt unis all over?plain nonsensical!!! I wld luv 2 join d protest if enabled.
Re: Nigeria Union Of Teachers (nut) Protest Downgrading Of Tai Solarin University by seunlayi(m): 10:10pm On Feb 27, 2012
bad bad bad decision from the state governor. I never felt anything about that school until a lady opted out of her sure admission at oau for that school that was when i realized how important that school is and now, one amu-osan decide to destroy the school.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Union Of Teachers (nut) Protest Downgrading Of Tai Solarin University by iebelieve(m): 10:14pm On Feb 27, 2012
sincerely any body supporting the ogun state govt for scrapping TASUED should rethink and obviously doesn't knw anything about the Nig edu. Sector,
Take for instance, as a teacher recruitment agent, everyday i have 10s of mails and calls from proprietors seeking teachers for vacant post and am way behind target cos no one wants to teach, if you're supporting the ogun govt then read my book, I HATE MY JOB:the irony of the teacher, how many youths in nairaland wants to be teachers?, a country where education is not even encouraged, if u then scrap its only uni of edu and turn it to a mere faculty of a school with highly inconsistent carlender, then ibikunle amosu and it advisory team are leftbrain.
Pls for the first time lets support the NUT to kick against this visionless out of touch leaders and demoralizing policies for the sake of my unborn children,so that there will be teachers in the classroom to teacher them, atleast NUT is not fighting for salary increment
Re: Nigeria Union Of Teachers (nut) Protest Downgrading Of Tai Solarin University by 2great: 10:39pm On Feb 27, 2012
bad bad bad decision from the
state governor. I never felt
anything about that school until a
lady opted out of her sure
admission at oau for that school
that was when i realized how
important that school is and now,
one amu-osan decide to destroy
the school
@seunlayi
U were makin sense until u said ur friend opted out of OAU to TASUED. Its either u aceptd 2b deceivd or u both sufer frm a height of illusions. C'mon don't say ds again publicly cos u aint talkn 2 dummies,it wld not v bin posible.OAU neva giv u admsion sef on scoring 280 in UME&blastn p-UME talkless of, u'l cry ur lyf out seeing d environment n later denied admision,abeg!!!
Re: Nigeria Union Of Teachers (nut) Protest Downgrading Of Tai Solarin University by Demdem(m): 7:50am On Feb 28, 2012
seunlayi:

bad bad bad decision from the state governor. I never felt anything about that school until a lady opted out of her sure admission at oau for that school [/b]that was when i realized how important that school is and now, one amu-osan decide to destroy the school.

[b]very ffoolish decision. tell her that.
Once again, the decision of the state government is ok by me.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Releases Over N77.5m For Payment Of Scholarship / 10 Myths About Introverts You Never Knew / Unilorin Scratch Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.