Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,315 members, 7,829,751 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

Take Heed Therefore - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Take Heed Therefore (739 Views)

The Sounds, The Lords Warning! Please Take Heed! / A Very Urgent Warning And Message From Our Lord Jesus! Pls: Take Heed! / Take Heed That You Do Not Your Alms Before Men, To Be Seen Of Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Take Heed Therefore by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:11am On Feb 29, 2012
Take Heed Therefore

"Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood" (Acts 20:28)

On his way back to Jerusalem, Paul decided not to stop at Ephesus, fearing a lengthy delay. But this church was much on his heart, and he recognised that he might not see them again. In order to give them one last bit of instruction and encouragement, he called the elders to meet with him, where they had a most touching time together (vv. 30-38). What was Paul’s main concern? "For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. Therefore watch, and remember" (vv. 29-31).

Later, Paul sent Timothy to Ephesus, "that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine" (1 Timothy 1:3). The Greek word used here means "a different kind of doctrine" and is used only twice. Certainly, the false doctrine that concerned Paul the most was a works-oriented salvation. "I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel" (Galatians 1:6).

Paul also concerned himself with lifestyle. "If any man teach otherwise |same word|, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness . . . from such withdraw thyself" (1 Timothy 6:3, 5). The list of characteristics of the false teachers given (vv. 4-5) contrasts markedly with those resulting from proper doctrine and life, "charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned" (1:5). May our lives be characterised by these qualities. JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Take Heed Therefore by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:47pm On Mar 07, 2013
"For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. Therefore watch, and remember" (Acts 20:29-31).

We can see this taking place in this day and age.
Re: Take Heed Therefore by Goshen360(m): 3:14pm On Mar 07, 2013
OLAADEGBU: "For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. Therefore watch, and remember" (Acts 20:29-31).

We can see this taking place in this day and age.

The question you should be asking yourself WHENEVER you STUDY is, WHO ARE THESE MEN being talked about? But I know your problem - You don't study scriptures, you lift articles from a particular website and sit on those articles without proving all things.

Now, who are these men? You need to allow scriptures to interpret scriptures, telling you\us the answers and NOT you just guessing and punching the air. The scriptures answers for itself sir. The scriptures says, these men are those men that wants to or that are mixing Judaism with Christianity. That is, MEN AND PEOPLE LIKE YOU...from the time of the Apostles till date.

GOD'S WORD ® Translation
9He must be devoted to the trustworthy message we teach. Then he can use these accurate teachings to encourage people and correct those who oppose the word. 10There are many believers, especially converts from Judaism, who are rebellious. They speak nonsense and deceive people. 11They must be silenced because they are ruining whole families by teaching what they shouldn't teach. This is the shameful way they make money. 12Even one of their own prophets said, "Cretans are always liars, savage animals, and lazy gluttons." 13That statement is true. For this reason, sharply correct believers so that they continue to have faith that is alive and well. 14They shouldn't pay attention to Jewish myths or commands given by people who are always rejecting the truth.

Expanded Bible (EXB)
9 By holding ·on [firmly] to the ·trustworthy [faithful] ·word [message] just as it was taught to them, overseers can ·encourage [exhort] people with ·true [sound; healthy] teaching, and they can ·correct [reprove; refute] those who are against it. 10 There are many ·people who refuse to cooperate [unruly/rebellious people], who talk about ·worthless [empty; useless] things and ·lead others into the wrong way [deceive others]—·mainly [especially] those ·who insist on circumcision to be saved [or among the Jewish Christians;  of the circumcision]. 11 These people must be ·stopped [ silenced], because they are ·upsetting [misleading; ruining; overthrowing] whole families by teaching things they should not teach, which they do ·to get rich by cheating people [for dishonest gain]. 12 Even one of their own prophets said, “Cretans are always liars, evil ·animals [beasts], and lazy ·people who do nothing but eat [gluttons;  a quote from Epimenides, a poet from Crete (sixth century bc)].” 13 ·The words that prophet said are [ This testimony is] true. So ·firmly [severely; sharply] ·tell those people they are wrong [rebuke/admonish them] so they may become ·strong [sound; healthy] in the faith, 14 not ·accepting [paying attention to; wasting time with] Jewish ·false stories [myths; 1 Tim. 1:4; 4:7; 2 Tim. 4:4] and the commands of people who ·reject [turn their backs on] the truth.

Titus 1
Re: Take Heed Therefore by Nobody: 3:18pm On Mar 07, 2013
Goshen360:

The question you should be asking yourself WHENEVER you STUDY is, WHO ARE THESE MEN being talked about? But I know your problem - You don't study scriptures, you lift articles from a particular website and sit on those articles without proving all things.

Now, who are these men? You need to allow scriptures to interpret scriptures, telling you\us the answers and NOT you just guessing and punching the air. The scriptures answers for itself sir. The scriptures says, these men are those men that wants to mix Judaism with Christianity. That is, MEN AND PEOPLE LIKE YOU.

GOD'S WORD ® Translation
9He must be devoted to the trustworthy message we teach. Then he can use these accurate teachings to encourage people and correct those who oppose the word. 10There are many believers, especially converts from Judaism, who are rebellious. They speak nonsense and deceive people. 11They must be silenced because they are ruining whole families by teaching what they shouldn't teach. This is the shameful way they make money. 12Even one of their own prophets said, "Cretans are always liars, savage animals, and lazy gluttons." 13That statement is true. For this reason, sharply correct believers so that they continue to have faith that is alive and well. 14They shouldn't pay attention to Jewish myths or commands given by people who are always rejecting the truth.

Expanded Bible (EXB)
9 By holding ·on [firmly] to the ·trustworthy [faithful] ·word [message] just as it was taught to them, overseers can ·encourage [exhort] people with ·true [sound; healthy] teaching, and they can ·correct [reprove; refute] those who are against it. 10 There are many ·people who refuse to cooperate [unruly/rebellious people], who talk about ·worthless [empty; useless] things and ·lead others into the wrong way [deceive others]—·mainly [especially] those ·who insist on circumcision to be saved [or among the Jewish Christians;  of the circumcision]. 11 These people must be ·stopped [ silenced], because they are ·upsetting [misleading; ruining; overthrowing] whole families by teaching things they should not teach, which they do ·to get rich by cheating people [for dishonest gain]. 12 Even one of their own prophets said, “Cretans are always liars, evil ·animals [beasts], and lazy ·people who do nothing but eat [gluttons;  a quote from Epimenides, a poet from Crete (sixth century bc)].” 13 ·The words that prophet said are [ This testimony is] true. So ·firmly [severely; sharply] ·tell those people they are wrong [rebuke/admonish them] so they may become ·strong [sound; healthy] in the faith, 14 not ·accepting [paying attention to; wasting time with] Jewish ·false stories [myths; 1 Tim. 1:4; 4:7; 2 Tim. 4:4] and the commands of people who ·reject [turn their backs on] the truth.

Titus 1

Spot on Bro.

We have to thank GOD that we have come out of the institutional church mindset and can verify things for ourselves.

A problem with belonging to an organization is that you are bound by their creeds and doctrine , to challenge any one of them is akin to challenging the BIBLE.

Therefore , these brethren stay behind out of fear or uncertainty , and sometimes because they truly believe their church is the truth , the way and the life.

Thanks.
Re: Take Heed Therefore by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:58pm On Mar 07, 2013
OLAADEGBU: Take Heed Therefore

"Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood" (Acts 20:28)

On his way back to Jerusalem, Paul decided not to stop at Ephesus, fearing a lengthy delay. But this church was much on his heart, and he recognised that he might not see them again. In order to give them one last bit of instruction and encouragement, he called the elders to meet with him, where they had a most touching time together (vv. 30-38). What was Paul’s main concern? "For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. Therefore watch, and remember" (vv. 29-31).

Later, Paul sent Timothy to Ephesus, "that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine" (1 Timothy 1:3). The Greek word used here means "a different kind of doctrine" and is used only twice. Certainly, the false doctrine that concerned Paul the most was a works-oriented salvation. "I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel" (Galatians 1:6).

Paul also concerned himself with lifestyle. "If any man teach otherwise |same word|, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness . . . from such withdraw thyself" (1 Timothy 6:3, 5). The list of characteristics of the false teachers given (vv. 4-5) contrasts markedly with those resulting from proper doctrine and life, "charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned" (1:5). May our lives be characterised by these qualities. JDM

For more . . . .

I can see the worms crawling out of the cracks to defend their positions. This thread is self explanatory and if you were to be genuine believers you would have taken heed and examine themselves but alas you are here to showing yourselves as the guilty party. Have you ever heard of the Yoruba adage: "Elefo Atan"? You have both exposed yourselves as charlatans in christendom.

Let's begin to analyse how you fit in to the picture of this scripture in our text.

Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood"
(Acts 20:28)

Paul is warning his overseers how to protect themselves and the flock from the likes of charlatans that have invaded the church. Goshen360 and frosbel are currently waging a war against the Holy Spirit. Saying that since believers are the church that there is no need to go to church anymore and when they couldn't succeed then proceed to discourage those who go from giving their tithes and offerings as they think the church will die a natural death as it is happening in the west. They insist that tithes and offerings are for the OT and that if you are to give at all you should give to the poor.

As you can see that you are fighting against the Holy Spirit who made these pastors overseers over the flock that He bought with His own blood. Those who refuse the truth will definitely be carried away by the likes of you and God will also give them a strong delusion to believe a lie because they have rejected the truth.

frosbel doesn't even believe the scripture that says that God shed His own blood to purchase the church, do you? I hope this thread exposes more wolves hiding in sheep's clothing so that we can easily identify them.
Re: Take Heed Therefore by Nobody: 4:08pm On Mar 07, 2013
^^^^

Let me ignore most of your childish rant grin

You do not know how to deal with people like me , because I was once a core member of your deeper life organisation.

Firstly, no one here is discouraging any believer from going to a local assembly where the truth is expounded and no falsehoods are preached. We must always assemble together.

Lastly, Jesus shed his blood for me as a sweet offering to GOD and for the forgiveness of my sins and eternal salvation.

"Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God" - Ephesians 5:2

God did not shed his blood, he is a Spirit. He therefore has no blood, get it ?? God is not a MAN.

"God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth." - John 4:24

"God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind." - Numbers 23:19
Re: Take Heed Therefore by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:17pm On Mar 07, 2013
frosbel:
^^^^

Let me ignore most of your childish rant grin

You do not know how to deal with people like me , because I was once a core member of your deeper life organisation.

The Holy Spirit definitely knows how to deal with people like you, by exposing and expelling you so that the church can be sanitized.

"They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us"
(1 John 2:19).

frosbel:

Firstly, no one here is discouraging any believer from going to a local assembly where the truth is expounded and no falsehoods are preached. We must always assemble together.

Yeah right, provided the "local assembly" doesn't have a pastor and that there should be no rules or organisation whatsoever. Who told you that secret societies don't assemble together?

frosbel:

Lastly, Jesus shed his blood for me as a sweet offering to GOD and for the forgiveness of my sins and eternal salvation.

"Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God" - Ephesians 5:2

God did not shed his blood, he is a Spirit. He therefore has no blood, get it ?? God is not a MAN.

"God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth." - John 4:24

"God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind." - Numbers 23:19

Don't gloss over the point. Here is the verse again:

"Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood"
(Acts 20:28)

The Holy Spirit made them overseers to feed the church of God, which He had purchased with His own blood. The questions you should ask yourself are: Who was Paul admonishing to take heed of themselves and to all the flock? Who made them overseers? and who purchased the church of God with his own blood?
Re: Take Heed Therefore by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:34pm On Mar 07, 2013
Goshen360:

Now, who are these men? You need to allow scriptures to interpret scriptures, telling you\us the answers and NOT you just guessing and punching the air. The scriptures answers for itself sir. The scriptures says, these men are those men that wants to or that are mixing Judaism with Christianity. That is, MEN AND PEOPLE LIKE YOU...from the time of the Apostles till date.

GOD'S WORD ® Translation

Expanded Bible (EXB)

Titus 1

Strawman's fallacy.

(1) (Reply)

Spiritual Warfare Tactics / Unification Church Founder Rev. Sun Myung Moon Dies At 92 / Islamist Preacher On Bible Burning. It Was Not Insulting To Egyptian Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.