Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:09 PM

Happy Leap Day! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Happy Leap Day! (3537 Views)

Leap Year: 10 Things About 29 February / Unrealistic Ban Expiry Date: 29th Feb. 2017(leap Yr) Is Non-existent! / Happy Leap Day. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Happy Leap Day! by MissyB3(f): 11:59am On Feb 29, 2012
Leap day (February 29) only occurs during a Leap Year.
Leap Year occurs every four years, except for years ending in 00, in which case only if the year is divisible by 400.

Here is an opportunity to give a birthday shout-out to leaplings, who ONLY have a real birthday ONCE in 4 years  cheesy I don't envy you at all  tongue Happy birthday to Y'all!  kiss

Below are 10 fun facts about Leap Day:
1- Your chances of being born on a leap day are approximately 1 in 1500.

2- There are about 187,000 people in the US and 4 million people in the world who were born on Leap Day.

3- People born on Leap Day are called leaplings.

4- In most states, leaplings must wait until March 1st to be eligible for any age-specific privileges (ages 16, 18, 21).

5- Every now and then we have to skip a regularly scheduled leap year. This happens during specific century years.

6- Century years are not leap years unless they can be evenly divided by 400. The years 1700, 1800 and 1900 were not leap years, but 1600 and 2000 were.

7- When 2/29 is entered into a majority of websites it comes up as an invalid birth date.

8- US Presidential elections and Summer Olympic Games are both held every four years and occur during leap years.

9- In Greece, people believe it is bad luck to get married in a leap year. On the other hand, in Ireland, women can propose to a man.

10- The next February 29th will come around again in 1,460 days.

Enjoy this one, as ''it's the last leap day before the world ends''.  tongue
Re: Happy Leap Day! by executinal(m): 12:18pm On Feb 29, 2012
Interesting. . . . , . . . , cheesy lets shout out to people born on leap year kiss
Re: Happy Leap Day! by titsqueez(m): 12:20pm On Feb 29, 2012
Girls who have boyfriends and want to get married. This is ur chance to ask him to marry you. But dont forget to go on ur knees!!  grin
Re: Happy Leap Day! by Ninapha(f): 12:23pm On Feb 29, 2012

quiet interesting!

Enjoy this one, as '''it's the last leap day before the world end''.  tongue
[quote][/quote]

I bind you!
Re: Happy Leap Day! by FXKing2012(m): 12:28pm On Feb 29, 2012
This day is very significant and I enjoin everybody to make the best of it. Anything you do on this day will definitely succeed even into the future, be it business, investment, relationship, etc etc. - fact!

Digression: when are those born on this day supposed to have their birthday celebrations?
Re: Happy Leap Day! by jaybee3(m): 12:30pm On Feb 29, 2012
Re: Happy Leap Day! by Nobody: 12:44pm On Feb 29, 2012
Re: Happy Leap Day! by Soundmind(m): 12:45pm On Feb 29, 2012
Happy Birthday To All Born In A Leap Year.
U are very special.
Re: Happy Leap Day! by nasty45(m): 1:01pm On Feb 29, 2012
Ninapha:

quiet interesting!

[b]Enjoy this one, as '''it's the last leap day before the world end''.  tongue
[/b]u don d madt abi

I bind you!
amen jor.i tink say na only me c m
Re: Happy Leap Day! by karpentar: 1:02pm On Feb 29, 2012
In Greece, people believe it is bad luck to get married in a leap year. On the other hand, in Ireland, women can propose to a man.

I wish am in Ireland today.
Re: Happy Leap Day! by eghost247(m): 1:07pm On Feb 29, 2012
interesting
Re: Happy Leap Day! by Yorisb: 1:08pm On Feb 29, 2012
karpentar:

I wish am in Ireland today.

Lol
Re: Happy Leap Day! by Nobody: 1:11pm On Feb 29, 2012
leap year indeed.
Re: Happy Leap Day! by yogun(f): 1:14pm On Feb 29, 2012
Happy birthday to me!!!
Re: Happy Leap Day! by Nobody: 1:23pm On Feb 29, 2012
Re: Happy Leap Day! by phraoh(m): 2:13pm On Feb 29, 2012
chaircover:

@Yogun is it really your birthday??

Does that mean you are the only one that I e-know who shares the same day with me kiss kiss

I am too.
Re: Happy Leap Day! by Nobody: 2:18pm On Feb 29, 2012
yogun.if today is ur BIRTHDAY 229 .HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND WHY DO U HAVE 229 POST SO FAR
Re: Happy Leap Day! by Agimor(m): 2:37pm On Feb 29, 2012
What a privilege
Re: Happy Leap Day! by purplekayc(m): 2:49pm On Feb 29, 2012
Uh?no such thing?
Re: Happy Leap Day! by Kadicou(m): 3:21pm On Feb 29, 2012
I enjoy LEAP YEARS! They are highly romantic.
Re: Happy Leap Day! by Emeka72(m): 7:41am On Mar 01, 2012
The leap day yesterday really reminds me of the OLYMPICS because d leap yr is also known as d yr of d olympics.
That reminds me, I was born in a leap yr but not on a leap day so I'm very special.
All roads leads to LONDON; see:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=882608.0;wap2
Re: Happy Leap Day! by dj5naira(m): 12:45pm On Mar 01, 2012
Missy_B:

Leap day (February 29) only occurs during a Leap Year.
Leap Year occurs every four years, except for years ending in 00, in which case only if the year is divisible by 400.

Here is an opportunity to give a birthday shout-out to leaplings, who ONLY have a real birthday ONCE in 4 years  cheesy I don't envy you at all  tongue Happy birthday to Y'all!  kiss

1- Your chances of being born on a leap day are approximately 1 in 1500.

2- There are about 187,000 people in the US and 4 million people in the world who were born on Leap Day.

3- People born on Leap Day are called leaplings.

4- In most states, leaplings must wait until March 1st to be eligible for any age-specific privileges (ages 16, 18, 21).

5- Every now and then we have to skip a regularly scheduled leap year. This happens during specific century years.

6- Century years are not leap years unless they can be evenly divided by 400. The years 1700, 1800 and 1900 were not leap years, but 1600 and 2000 were.

7- When 2/29 is entered into a majority of websites it comes up as an invalid birth date.

8- US Presidential elections and Summer Olympic Games are both held every four years and occur during leap years.

9- In Greece, people believe it is bad luck to get married in a leap year. On the other hand, in Ireland, women can propose to a man.

10- The next February 29th will come around again in 1,460 days.

Enjoy this one, as ''it's the last leap day before the world ends''tongue
You sounded like a prophetess.
Re: Happy Leap Day! by somtookeke(m): 4:31am On Feb 29, 2020
Nearly every four years, we add an extra day to the calendar in the form of February 29, also known as Leap Day. Put simply, these additional 24 hours are built into the calendar to ensure that it stays in line with the Earth’s movement around the Sun. While the modern calendar contains 365 days, the actual time it takes for Earth to orbit its star is slightly longer—roughly 365.2421 days. The difference might seem negligible, but over decades and centuries that missing quarter of a day per year can add up. To ensure consistency with the true astronomical year, it is necessary to periodically add in an extra day to make up the lost time and get the calendar back in synch with the heavens.

1. Many ancient calendars had entire leap months
Many calendars, including the Hebrew, Chinese and Buddhist calendars, are lunisolar, meaning their dates indicate the position of the Moon as well as the position of Earth relative to the sun. Since there is a natural gap of roughly 11 days between a year as measured by lunar cycles and one measured by the Earth's orbit, such calendars periodically require the addition of extra months, known as intercalary or interstitial months, to keep them on track.

Read More:
5 Things You May Not Know About Leap Day 2020

https://speakersden2..com/2020/02/5-things-you-may-not-know-about-leap.html

Other Headlines

2Baba Releases New Album “Warriors”
https://speakersden2..com/2020/02/2baba-releases-new-album-warriors.html

Ighalo Scores His First Manchester United Goal To Help Them Reach UEL Last 16
https://speakersden2..com/2020/02/ighalo-scores-his-first-manchester.html

Nigeria Well-equipped To Handle Cases Of Coronavirus, Says Lai Mohammed
https://speakersden2..com/2020/02/nigeria-well-equipped-to-handle-cases.html

Federal appeals court stops TWO of Donald Trump's immigration policies by ruling against 'stay in Mexico' rules and ban on asylum for illegal border-crossers
https://speakersden2..com/2020/02/federal-appeals-court-stops-two-of.html

Buhari suspends Amnesty boss, Dokubo
https://speakersden2..com/2020/02/buhari-suspends-amnesty-boss-dokubo.html

Coronavirus: Face Masks, Hand Sanitizers Sold Out In Lagos!
https://speakersden2..com/2020/02/coronavirus-face-masks-hand-sanitizers.html

Like, Share, Comment

(1) (Reply)

My Dance Video :) / Top 10 High-security Prisons In The World / How To Select Device And Update Profile In Npower Portal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.