Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:39 AM

Timetabling App - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Timetabling App (1572 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Timetabling App by mikkytrio(m): 3:00pm On Feb 29, 2012
Please, I am having problems with figuring out a good algorithm for a time tabling or scheduling app for schools. Any help would be of good help thanks
Re: Timetabling App by naijaswag1: 1:18am On Mar 01, 2012
Think more of a rich user interface for such an app.Windows Foundation Classes should be okay if you are a windows developer,if you do java like me,then swing or swt or even java fx would do.

I say this because because the user interface is the catchy aspect of it.Look up such app via google to get a feel of what they look like.
Re: Timetabling App by delomos(m): 7:52am On Mar 01, 2012
See this interesting [related] discussion, might give you a clue: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/210635/teacher-time-schedule-algorithm
Re: Timetabling App by mikkytrio(m): 1:58pm On Mar 01, 2012
thanks all looking @ the stackflow page now
Re: Timetabling App by okeyxyz(m): 5:02pm On Mar 01, 2012
this is more of a relational database problem, than programming algorithm
Re: Timetabling App by prodam(m): 12:05am On Mar 02, 2012
naija_swag:

Think more of a rich user interface for such an app.Windows Foundation Classes should be okay if you are a windows developer,if you do java like me,then swing or swt or even java fx would do.

I say this because because the user interface is the catchy aspect of it.Look up such app via google to get a feel of what they look like.

the OP as much as i understand his post, does not need the above information for now, he is still in the step 1 of his project, all the terminologies you stated come up later after a well-written algorithm(as required by the OP).

I can't start typing the algorithm now cos i would need to write such in a general form without any specification, its gonna be a laborious job for any one, its gonna be pretty easier for you to do since you have the specifications of the system(i.e what the system or software is expected to do exactly, specifically, taking into consideration the number of courses time and the rest).
NOw,
i am gonna get my on version of the algorithm, meanwhile clearly state out ur problem and think!!!
Re: Timetabling App by mikkytrio(m): 8:53pm On Mar 03, 2012
Thanks guys.
@prodam:
The demo app should be able to handle
1. 192 courses (which are divided into core and electives and varying lecture hours)
2. 11 departments (which are divided into 4 faculties)
3. 23 Lecturers.
4. 30 lecture halls with varaying capacities.
5. the courses are taught from mon - fri (09:00 - 17:00) daily.
Please do feel free to add up ideas in your algorithm.
Re: Timetabling App by dellnet: 8:57pm On Mar 03, 2012
Are you looking for Artificial Intelligent solution or a just an app that you will feed 192 courses and it will schedule it appropriately?
Re: Timetabling App by mikkytrio(m): 8:59pm On Mar 03, 2012
@naija_swag: Thanks for your advice, but presently that is off the scope of my question. Although if you have any idea of how interfaces like skype and msn messenger are built in java or visual c++. I would not mind learning a thing or two from you in that aspect, but I guess that is for another day or thread.
Re: Timetabling App by mikkytrio(m): 9:00pm On Mar 03, 2012
@dell_net: I have thought of the A.I. part, but I guess having both concepts here would still be a good bargain.
Re: Timetabling App by dellnet: 11:25pm On Mar 03, 2012
1. How many courses should a department have in a week?
2. How many courses should a lecturer take in a week?

I think the 2 above will determine where to start.
Re: Timetabling App by mikkytrio(m): 2:15am On Mar 04, 2012
Okay the sharing is done this way
1. each department has about 17 courses and two levels i.e. year 1 and 2. Year 1 has 7 courses 4 compulsory and 3 alternative courses. 6 are to be offered by a student for the semester. then the remaining 10 / 11 courses are to be offered by the 2nd year students. 2 compulsory and the rest are to be taken as alternative courses, 6 in total are to be offered. and all courses are to be offered in one week.
2. A lecturer cannot be assigned more than 3 courses per semester.

I hope that clears / answers your questions
Re: Timetabling App by mikkytrio(m): 4:41pm On Mar 05, 2012
still waiting for suggestions nairalanders.
Re: Timetabling App by Fayimora(m): 6:48pm On Mar 05, 2012
There is no 1 timetable algorithm AFAIC. Amongst others and probably most importantly, there are constraints  that must be taken into consideration.

Assuming you are trying to build this yourself, all you need to learn are some graph and scheduling algorithms. Probably study and already made timetable algorithm and the write yours! Seems like a nice project though, would add it to my todos list cheesy

Re: Timetabling App by mikkytrio(m): 9:43pm On Mar 05, 2012
@Fayimora: as an admirer of the jobs and posts u have placed on nl, I would be glad if I can get helpful links to such algorithms and I would study them and gladly share my experience(s) here. thanks
Re: Timetabling App by dellnet: 10:08pm On Mar 05, 2012
If you are in a rush to do it I suggest you throw in a few $$$ I am sure you will get fast response. It requires some critical thinking to sit and analyze it.

slot 192 items into the time and space defined. This is easy stuff, I can see the solution but no time to analyze on my part. Then again the information you have provided so far is not sufficient to give quick answers.
Re: Timetabling App by lordZOUGA(m): 12:41pm On Mar 06, 2012
@OP, you should checkout ACO(ant colony optimization) you need a way to make dumb data act intelligently, Not Artificial intelligence per say, More like swarm intelligence. Your data when given a set of constraints should know where it fits best,

(1) (Reply)

10 Programming Languages You Should Learn In 2014 / List Your Best Free Hosting Services Sitep / Why Always Web.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.