Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,639 members, 7,820,237 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? (6577 Views)

Meet Woman Who Had 7 Babies In 5 Years / Is It Ever Okay To Make Little Babies Up ( Photos ) / What Do You Give Your Toddlers For Lunch Pack To School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by VirtuousWoman: 9:21am On Mar 01, 2012
Good Nairaland People

How can we discourage our husbands / wives / sisters / brothers/ etc from carrying our little babies and toddlers on themselves while sitting in the front passengers' seat in the car while we drive.

How do we encourage the use of car seat for these precious futures?
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by Nobody: 11:30am On Mar 01, 2012
Its a bad and dangerous pratice, I attribute it to ignorance. This is what road safety should be campaigning on and not new drivers licence and number plate. This is their responisiblity. If there is an accident and you carry the child with you in front, the child would be badly injured and if the car has an airbag the child would suffocate
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by blank(f): 3:00pm On Mar 01, 2012
Very easy. Put the car seat in the back and then put the baby in the car seat. I do not tolerate exceptions especially when i know how much that car seat cost.

In the unlikely event that there is no car seat, i ask them politely (i think) to sit in the back with the baby. My husband used to call me a fierce mama bear.
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Mar 01, 2012
angry angry angry Dont have a car yet,

when i get one,baby will be in a car seat at the back while i serve as his

chauffer
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by kokoye(m): 5:24pm On Mar 01, 2012
awareness and enforcement

But I understand the fact that in Nigeria, some parents dont want to be seen as drivers to thier babies / toddlers.

Here, fathers drive while the mom sits in the 'owner's corner' with the baby in the center. . . i Know that will not happen with most people in Naija.

funny but sad.
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by dohome: 5:44pm On Mar 01, 2012
this is a very dangerous practice and as matter of urgency the law enforcement agents should swing into action and start arresting the defaulters. May be that will bring sanity back to the land. , OR what do you think guys?
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by mission08: 6:23pm On Mar 01, 2012
kokoye:

awareness and enforcement

But I understand the fact that in Nigeria, some parents dont want to be seen as drivers to thier babies / toddlers.

Here, fathers drive while the mom sits in the 'owner's corner' with the baby in the center. . . i Know that will not happen with most people in Naija

funny but sad.

Very true, many people still struggle with ego and pride and they tend to focus their energy on vanity.
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by Obinoscopy(m): 6:31pm On Mar 01, 2012
Inasmuch as I'm not supporting those who put their babies on the front seat, I observed they do so because the baby is not happy being at the back, they (the baby) want to keep their parent within their sight thus if they are kept at the back they'll keep on crying till they are brought to the front.

That said, I'm still against the keeping of the baby in the front seat. Keep them at the back seat. Its better they cry all through the journey than for the never to cry at all (by being dead). After a while, they'll get used to being at the back and won't cry again.
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by kokoye(m): 6:46pm On Mar 01, 2012
mission08:

Very true, many people still struggle with ego and pride and they tend to focus their energy on vanity.

I remember a neighbour who gave me and my sister a ride years back . .we both had to sit in the single passenger seat beside him.

HE did not want either of us to sit in the 'owner's corner' funny

We all really just need a re-orientation.

Some people believe seatbelts are for posing and looking cool
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by gempo(m): 7:48pm On Mar 01, 2012
A baby or kid should be sitting at the back seat with a seat belt on. Some people just want to show off their baby and in the process putting them at risk.
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by dynamicsvoice: 8:09pm On Mar 01, 2012
in cars with passenger air bags (which includes most newer models), the air bags deploy with such force that they can cause severe head and neck injuries to a child. Nationwide, more than a hundred children have been killed by air bags in recent years, and many of these deaths were in slow-speed collisions that should have been minor. 
see this site www.dynamicsvoice..com
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by 1forall: 8:14pm On Mar 01, 2012
In saner climes it's against the law to do so.
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by funshint(m): 8:38pm On Mar 01, 2012
Nigerians won't just listen; 4 d safety of 'ur kids don't put them in d front seat. Infact sumtyms u'll c d kid standing up at d front wc is a very deadly posture 4 dis tender lives. Even while growing up, in my fathers beetle u'll seat at d back even if d car is empty.
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by GboyegaD(m): 8:56pm On Mar 01, 2012
Some people actually don't know it is wrong and for some, it is their stupid ways of showing the baby extra love and care.
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by agabaI23(m): 9:05pm On Mar 01, 2012
Any child less than 12 years may not sit in front because the airbag could kill him when it deploys. Many car manufacturers warn against this. Look at the sun shield or whatever it is called that has a mirror
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by aglomar: 9:42pm On Mar 01, 2012
Wrong! It's neva done in developd countries, just imagine a head on collision.
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by aglomar: 9:43pm On Mar 01, 2012
Wrong! It's neva done in developd countries.
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by Sagamite(m): 9:44pm On Mar 01, 2012
Let me be frank, and I don't think this would be a popular response, but lets remember I am Sagamite, popularity le lo jefo (Popularity can go and eat efo):

I do not hear of a lot of child deaths or injuries when I was in Nigeria or in the UK because of carrying kids on front seat or kids not using child seats.

As far as I am concerned this is one of those over-do by Oyinbo in their wish to create a risk-free society.

That is not to say there is no danger in such practices, I just think it is low when not driving on motorways. Driving in the neighbourhood with a child in the back seat with seat belts but without a child seat and being stopped by police for that can be a pain in the arse.
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by gulfer: 9:47pm On Mar 01, 2012
agabaI23:

Any child less than 12 years may not sit in front because the airbag could kill him when it deploys. Many car manufacturers warn against this. Look at the sun shield or whatever it is called that has a mirror
You are right on the money, I quarrel with wifey every-time about this. BTW, that is called a visor.
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by Sagamite(m): 9:47pm On Mar 01, 2012
Oops! Just notice the focus is on "babies" and "front seat".

It makes sense for them to be in the back seat area.
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Mar 01, 2012
Obinoscopy:

Inasmuch as I'm not supporting those who put their babies on the front seat, I observed they do so because the baby is not happy being at the back, they (the baby) want to keep their parent within their sight thus if they are kept at the back they'll keep on crying till they are brought to the front.

That said, I'm still against the keeping of the baby in the front seat. Keep them at the back seat. Its better they cry all through the journey than for the never to cry at all (by being dead). After a while, they'll get used to being at the back and won't cry again.

I beg to differ, if a child sits at the back, he'll get used to it and stop throwing tantrums once he know he's not going to get his way.

Very dangerous behaviour, a child in front has no chance if an accident occurs, the neck/spine will break from the force of the air bag, unless you can disconnect the air bag ofcourse.

A sad child trumps a dead child!!!
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by Depointer1: 11:20pm On Mar 01, 2012
Children aged 3 and above, until they reach EITHER their 12th birthday OR 135cm in height

Children over 3 and up to 135 cms in height or the age of 12 MUST use a child restraint,with very few exceptions.In the Front Seat

The child MUST use the correct child restraint.

In the Rear Seat

The child MUST use the correct restraint, where seat belts are fitted.

There are three exceptions where there is not a child seat available. In each case the child MUST use the adult belt instead. They are -

1) in a licensed taxi or private hire vehicle;

2) if the child is travelling on a short distance for reason of unexpected necessity;

3) if there are two occupied child restraints in the rear which prevent the fitment of a third.

In addition, a child 3 and over may travel unrestrained in the rear seat of a vehicle if seat belts are not available.

It is the driver's legal responsibility to ensure that the child is correctly restrained.

Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by Depointer1: 11:22pm On Mar 01, 2012
Children over 1.35 metres in height, or who are 12 or 13 years old

Children who are over 135cms in height, or who are 12 or 13 years old MUST use the adult seat belt

In the Front Seat

The adult seat belt MUST be worn if available.

In the Rear Seat

The adult seat belt MUST be worn if available.

It is the driver's legal responsibility to ensure that the child is correctly restrained.

When travelling in the front or rear seat, an adult seat belt MUST be worn if available.

It is the responsibility of the individual passenger to ensure that they are wearing the seat belt.

Other Vehicles (vans, buses, coaches, minibuses and goods vehicles)

The law requires children (and adults) travelling in the front of all vehicles, including vans, buses, coaches, minibuses and goods vehicles to use an appropriate child restraint or adult seat belts.

Rear Seats in Small Minibuses

Passengers sitting in the rear of minibuses that have an unladen weight of 2,540 kg or less must wear the seat belts that are provided. It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that :

children under 3 years of age use an appropriate child restraint if available.
    children aged between 3 and 11 years, under 1.35 metres tall use an appropriate child restraint if available, or if not available, wear the seat belt, if available.
    children aged 12 and 13 years (and younger children who are 1.35 metres or taller) use the seat belt, if available.

Passengers over the age of 14 years in smaller minibuses are legally responsible for wearing a seat belt themselves.

Rear Seats in Larger Minibuses

Passengers over the age of 14 MUST wear seat belts in the rear of larger minibuses (over 2,540 kg unladen weight). However, all passengers are strongly advised to wear seat belts or the correct child seat on all journeys.

Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by Depointer1: 11:25pm On Mar 01, 2012
The law requires all children travelling in cars to use the correct child restraint until they are either 135 cm in height or the age of 12 (which ever they reach first) . After this they must use an adult seat belt. There are very few exceptions, and the main ones are set out below.

It is the driver's responsibility to ensure that children under the age of 14 years are restrained correctly in accordance with the law.

Children up to 3 years old MUST use the correct child restraint.In the Front Seat

It is illegal to carry a child in a rear-facing child seat in the front, which is protected by an active frontal airbag.

In the Rear Seat

In a licensed taxi or licensed hire car, if a child restraint is not available then the child may travel unrestrained in the rear. This is the only exception for children under 3, and has been introduced for practical rather than safety reasons. You should always think about ways to make sure that a child seat is available.

Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by ada24: 11:30pm On Mar 01, 2012
I have heard it all today - did I read that some parents do not want to be seen as driver to their baby/toddler/child - na wah for poverty mentality. Are things that messed up that this can be a reason for keeping a child or infant unrestrained in a car.

anyway obviously this topic is for nigeria cos over here ur not even allowed to leave the hospital with ur newborn unless u have a car seat and its also the law here for children to have a car seat
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by queensmith: 1:30am On Mar 02, 2012
It's all good, although I have to say this is the least the traffic authority have to worry about in that country.

The state of the roads is alarming despite the fact traffic is incredibly busy, passengers run accross expressways to cross, I've never heard of a speed limit in that country. I've seen a car with no doors and there are rumours that the HGVs don't have breaks (i don't even want to know the rumour is enough to scare me)!
If they can fix up, reduce accidents, build some bridges, make pedestrian crossings safer- enforce mot, regulate the road users more then there is hope. Til then Nigerian roads will continue to be a death trap to it's citizens.
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by Sinju: 2:41am On Mar 02, 2012
From a Doctor:

On of the best ways to keep your child safe in the car is to use age appropriate car safety devices until they 4feet 9inches (145cm) tall.

I have seen children survive terrible road traffic accidents because they were properly restrained.

One of the worse things you can do is to use an adult seat belt to restrain a child whose height is less than 145cm. I have seen a child who was decapitated by an adult seat belt because the shoulder part was an her neck!

The lap belt part of the adult seat belt can also rupture the liver, spleen and intestines in children if they are involved in an accident.

These injuries can also occur if you do not use the restraining belt on the child car seats properly. Always read the manual! you child is too precious!

Also, always make sure all children are in a safe place (inside the car or house) before reversing your SUV/Jeep, or have an adult look out for you. Children are not tall enough to be seen in your rare view mirror. Can't tell you how many injured kids I have seen from back-up accidents.

In 2014, all vehicles manufactured or used in the Us will have a rare view camera. Until then, take care of your precious cargo.
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by Krazylover: 5:14am On Mar 02, 2012
That is not to say there is no danger in such practices, I just think it is low when not driving on motorways. Driving in the neighbourhood with a child in the back seat with seat belts but without a child seat and being stopped by police for that can be a pain in the arse.[img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by Nobody: 6:14am On Mar 02, 2012
i once saw 2 kids jumpn in a frnt seat nd d mum drvn shoutd at dm nd dy sat down nd startd suckn dr fnga.also saw a yung chld lyk 9mnths in a cot in d frnt.was vry pissd at both parents.its vry annoyn,we knw d kds r cute nd swt bt d bk seat is 4 deir safety
Re: Must We Carry Our Little Babies And Toddlers In Front Seats? by alagbatomoye: 6:34am On Mar 02, 2012
There are options though; like leaving them behind.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Indecent Dressing D Cause Of Rape / Shocking: See What A Smart Baby Did When He Fell Into A Swimming Pool. / Can You Entertain A Guest With Its Food?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.