Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,663 members, 7,809,510 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? (132063 Views)

Walden University Is On My Neck. / Which Nigerian University Has The Cheapest Fees? / Top 10 Universities To Study Engineering In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by tpia5: 7:54pm On Mar 05, 2012
besides, gokuu is busting his pantaloons, so lets not derail the thread.

back to gokuu and his bitterness.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by ojogbontomoye: 7:58pm On Mar 05, 2012
tpia@:

^you too dey ask question, lol.

sounds like multiple monikers imo. Jekyll and Hyde stuff.

no, i didnt know dayokanu on campus. He has mouth but that doesnt mean his face replaced the one on the main gate, for everybody to know him.

anyway, o [he] kere si mi.

yes, i studied enginnering, i wish.

someone will fill you in, i'm sure.

no need me broadcasting what's already public knowledge.

I am new here Tpia. I just registered,, but you ve won my heart with your honest and very matter-of-fact posts. I really appreciate it. I am not into stalking people, Id rather ask you directly.

So what did you study at OAU or did you attend University of Ife?
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by tpia5: 8:11pm On Mar 05, 2012
^^i'm also new here like you, and you've won my heart because you gave me some attention.

nw, what about you- which school are you currently in, what's your major, how old are you, etc.

sweetie.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by tpia5: 8:12pm On Mar 05, 2012
nw=now.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by ojogbontomoye: 8:19pm On Mar 05, 2012
tpia@:

^^i'm also new here like you, and you've won my heart because you gave me some attention.

nw, what about you- which school are you currently in, what's your major, how old are you, etc.

sweetie.

I am glad you asked. Well, I am older than most folks here. I did my HSC and left Nigeria for Europe, but life happens and I had a difficult time in Europe so i couldnt enroll in a university. I came back to Nigeria a few years back, and I am into business; selling cars mostly. I always wanted to Engineering, but there is no point crying over spilt milk at this point.

That said, I am sorry if I seemed too forward. i didn't mean to pry into your life like that, just that I find you interesting and very personable.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by ojogbontomoye: 8:21pm On Mar 05, 2012
I am glad you asked. Well, I am older than most folks here. I did my HSC and left Nigeria for Europe, but life happened shortly after I landed in Europe. I had a difficult time in Europe so I couldnt enroll in a university as planned. I came back to Nigeria a few years back, and I am into business; selling cars mostly. I always wanted to study Engineering, but there is no point crying over spilt milk at this point.

That said, I am sorry if I seemed too forward. i didn't mean to pry into your life like that, just that I find you interesting and very personable. wink
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by tpia5: 8:23pm On Mar 05, 2012
^hmm, interesting.

you sound like a notorious nler though, but never mind.

as per studies- i doubt its ever too late to study anything per se.

it might depend on the course however.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by ojogbontomoye: 8:26pm On Mar 05, 2012
^^^

So you are an Engineer?
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by gokuu(m): 9:40pm On Mar 05, 2012
tpia@:

^^no biggie.

at least i dont sound uncivilized like you.

no, i didnt choose unilag at all during jamb.

if that annoys you, suck a sour lemon.
hmmn. na wa o, you are really a bitter person. its not about UNILAG, its about me telling you to stop posting your unnecessary life stories in a thread that clearly didn't request for it. who cares if you wrote jamb or not? BITTER OLD HAG.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by ojogbontomoye: 11:41pm On Mar 05, 2012
^^^

Leave her alone okay. Chillax
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by tpia5: 1:36am On Mar 06, 2012
The fellow is so miserable.

S/he probably needs to be on medication.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by AK481(m): 10:29am On May 24, 2012
Lets nt judge blindly,lets judge 4rm international award won, ok!
Ansu jus won d best engineering award in an international competition.so 1st
2nd is unn,men thoes guys r hot,their 2.1 r beta than most best graduatin stds in skls like unilag etc.
This is all i know.it s d truth n nothin bt d truth.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by richy5(m): 1:08pm On May 24, 2012
Futa, futminna,futo,lautech for computer engineering got d best alomost every year
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by Tedyk(m): 5:28am On Jul 20, 2012
LAUTECH GBAM
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by Nobody: 11:52am On Oct 11, 2012
tunene:

How do you measure the best? In Nigeria, the only authentic bodies (no matter what anybody says) that can state the best (1st, 2nd or 3rd and the rest) is COREN and NUC. Employers also provide some information, though fraught with a high subjectivity. To determine the best school to attend you would need to ask yourself which programme you wish to study, when you want to study and what you want to do with it (what kind of job or business you want to do with it). There is no university in Nigeria (or anywhere else for that matter) that can claim it is the best in all engineering courses.

As for Uniben's case, did you go to COREN website. The story of Structural engineering and computer is outdated, that happened a long time ago. Electrical/electronics, mechanical and petroleum have joined them in 2011. 5 courses from one school in few years. They is no guarantee that other departments - chemical, civil and production would not join soon, especially production. My advice if you are studying any of Elect/elect, mech or petroleum or even production in UNIBEN, catapult yourself to another school as soon as you can, its never too late.

@Poster, please whatever you do, do not attend any private universities to study engineering in Nigeria, you would regret you did. Employers have written to Covenant that their graduates do not take initiative; they wait to be told to do everything. They also do not understand fundamental theories may be they use softwares to teach them engineering. I do not blame them though afterall they need to take permission to go out of campus, they can't use phones and they can't even determine what is good or bad for themselves. What a regimented society, more like a primary school.

The Council for the Regulation
of Engineering in Nigeria
(COREN) has re-accredited three
(3) Undergraduate Engineering
programmes of the University of
Benin following its visitation to
the institution between 20th and
24th November 2011.
The programmes are :
1. Electrical/Electronics
Engineering
2. Petroleum Engineering
3. Mecahnical Engineering
It is pertinent to note that this
acreditation which takes effect
from 24th November, 2011 is
valid for a period of five years.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 11, 2012
tunene:

No be only UNIBEN. That school! Check COREN website for accreditation of engineering courses and you would see that three engineering courses have been stepped down in UNIBEN. That school doesnt look serious to me. Who knows, when you enter there for engineering after 2 years your course who be stepped down.
The Council for the Regulation
of Engineering in Nigeria
(COREN) has re-accredited three
(3) Undergraduate Engineering
programmes of the University of
Benin following its visitation to
the institution between 20th and
24th November 2011.
The programmes are :
1. Electrical/Electronics
Engineering
2. Petroleum Engineering
3. Mecahnical Engineering
It is pertinent to note that this
acreditation which takes effect
from 24th November, 2011 is
valid for a period of five years.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by lepesyn20(m): 3:35pm On Jan 24, 2013
Great Futa!!!!!!!
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by osram(m): 10:59pm On Jan 24, 2013
Michaek opara university of agriculture umudike and federal uni of agriculture makurdi....dis skuls r gud in engineering,i met sum of dia students in bonny island working 4 nlng......all dia engineering courses av full accreditation
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by samilo88(m): 10:37am On Mar 28, 2013
tunene:

How do you measure the best? In Nigeria, the only authentic bodies (no matter what anybody says) that can state the best (1st, 2nd or 3rd and the rest) is COREN and NUC. Employers also provide some information, though fraught with a high subjectivity. To determine the best school to attend you would need to ask yourself which programme you wish to study, when you want to study and what you want to do with it (what kind of job or business you want to do with it). There is no university in Nigeria (or anywhere else for that matter) that can claim it is the best in all engineering courses.

As for Uniben's case, did you go to COREN website. The story of Structural engineering and computer is outdated, that happened a long time ago. Electrical/electronics, mechanical and petroleum have joined them in 2011. 5 courses from one school in few years. They is no guarantee that other departments - chemical, civil and production would not join soon, especially production. My advice if you are studying any of Elect/elect, mech or petroleum or even production in UNIBEN, catapult yourself to another school as soon as you can, its never too late.

@Poster, please whatever you do, do not attend any private universities to study engineering in Nigeria, you would regret you did. Employers have written to Covenant that their graduates do not take initiative; they wait to be told to do everything. They also do not understand fundamental theories may be they use softwares to teach them engineering. I do not blame them though afterall they need to take permission to go out of campus, they can't use phones and they can't even determine what is good or bad for themselves. What a regimented society, more like a primary school.

U sit in ur room with a laptop or some cheap megabytes and comment on post u have little info about. You sound like someone who was denied the opportunity to study an engineering course in Uniben. if you talk of engineering faculties in this country you must make reference to UNIBEN. Ask employers and past graduate they'll tell u more. Next time bro don't just come on a faceless network and spew crap. For ur info shell recently opened the centre for Excellence in geoscience in uniben to train graduates in the field of geosciences and petroleum engineering something similar to IPS. If the school wasn't reputable it wouldn't hav been considered.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by deesquarediddy(m): 2:03pm On Mar 28, 2013
I just laugh when people compare rotten apples in an attempt to pick out which is good. I can emphatically tell you that no Nigerian University teaches engineering but history of engineering. How can you call yourself an engineer when you can't design? I am a graduate of mechanical engineering(production option) from a federal polytechnic, yes i have an HND not B.Sc or B.Eng. I am a technologist as those degree holders claim we are not engineers but am glad i never read engineering in any Nigerian University. The purpose of education is to teach the students how to think and not to fill the minds of the students with facts, engineering graduates from Nigerian Universities can only talk (theory) and as they say, talk is cheap and even these theories can not be translated into designs. During my youth service, i openly challenged all the engineering graduates there to prove they can design anything since they claim we the HND guys don't know how to design, the fact is can Nigerian engineers design?...if not why are they called engineers?
I want to send this message to all engineers who graduated from Nigerian University, stop dragging the technologist jobs with us in companies...please Nigeria and we the so-called technologist(HND graduates) depend on your designs to develop this great nation.
so, my point is, guy just join the train and study engineering in any university of your choice, none of them is offering the engineering courses as obtainable in advanced world.
If you really want to practice engineering, travel out of the country to study if you must stay in Nigeria, you don't even need HND...go for ND in engineering and train yourself thereafter. The level of engineering practice in Nigerian is still at ND level.
I am not saying our polytechnics are anyway better talking about the rot in our education sector but as far as engineering is concerned, you will not loose it all when you study in a Polytechnic as you will learn little practicals and this will serve as a good foundation for you to improve on when you finish your ND and move on to train yourself in an institute like IIT(institute for industrial training).
After i graduated in 2009, i took up the challenge to add to my practical knowledge and since i can't afford the cost of training in IIT, i started by learning arc welding as a mechanical engineering graduate with concentration on production...yea, from the local welders and after that i learnt different machining operations and i can now work on lathe machine, milling machine e.t.c, i learnt AutoCAD 2D/3D so i can use my PC to make my design drawings. so presently am at the final stage of setting up a company that will fabricate plastic milling machine, block moulding machine, paint mixing machine e.t.c using locally available materials(i've even fabricated and sold two plastic milling machines, they are presently in use at Ile-epo oja,oke-odo area of lagos by those who source for waste plastic products from dumping sites, mill them and bag the output for sale in plastic manufacturing companies) and now i don't have to run around in search for job. The point is, no school taught me all these but i could only think in this direction because of my practical background in the polytechnic. I dare any University graduate to try this.
Education is at zero level in Nigeria but i just hate it when people come to sing OAU,UNILAG,UI,UNN,ABU to my ear, can't speak of other courses like arts for example but engineering is crap in all this schools. WE are still studying history of engineering in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by Rolax: 5:17pm On Apr 06, 2013
My candid advice is this- Go to a school that would easily give you at least 2.1. Nobody cares about the UNI you graduated from. Your certificate speaks volume of who u are so far as we are in Nigeria.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by Emasearu(m): 5:56pm On Dec 10, 2013
kayno-Jah:
For Civil: UNIBEN or UNN
Electrical:
Chemical: ESUT, UNILAG, UNIPORT
Petroleum: UI, FUTO
Electrical: ABU, OAU
Mechanical: ESUT, LASU & FUTA

And for computer engineering?

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by othman1(m): 1:43pm On Dec 29, 2013
which of the universities is the best in terms of computer engineering
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Dec 01, 2014
Chrisbenogor:
Permit me to say that Nigerian tertiary education is not much to write home about smiley but in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is still king.
First of all let us build the right parameters around your question, the truth like one poster already did here is that you make yourself in school. All this bravado and bragging about which is better or not is all subjective and it depends on what a person is looking out for.
Engineering has been so abused in this country that to a layman a mechanical engineer should be a mechanic, an electrical/electronics engineer should be an electrician but do not let yourself be fooled, there is a place for everyone.

Now lets get to the heart of your problem, whenever you are searching for a school what you look at is not the strength of the school in general but the strength of the department you want to go into, advanced countries like the US have those things mapped out already if you say you want to study engineering in general MIT comes to mind (that na if your brain carry oh, people like us wey get 5 mb nor dey even try am) but if you say specifically petroleum engineering then UT, Texas A&M and all that would come to mind.

Bringing it home, anyone who gives you a flat out name just because they attended the school is bull, you cannot know how good your school was if you do not have a another to compare it with, for all their name and popularity the schools in the west of Nigeria are not really known for their Engineering prowess (save for Unilag I think). To be honest with you generally engineering wise I would pick FUTO and most employers do. I have personally interacted with a lot of graduates from there and its not that I get the sense that their facilities are the best but some how at least the ones I have interacted with mostly know what they are doing. I finished from UNIPORT and I can easily tell you if you that the strongest Engineering department there is Mechanical Engineering (almost 5 profs here highest in engineering faculty)  which I finished from, they have got new young lecturers that would hopefully be up to date and not give you 1985 question papers as revision. This is  followed closely by Civil, the others are average and nothing spectacular, if you want less stress and the highest probability of finishing with a 2:1 then Petroleum engineering in Uniport is the key, their lecturers are lax and do not really hassle students. Electrical/Electronics is not bad but they lack good lecturers, they have got just one fast tracked professor  grin grin but he is the best damn lecturer in that whole university, unfortunately a tree cannot not make a forest, so stay clear. Chemical Eng, do not even go there unless you want to be assured of a 2:2 and nothing in your head afterwards. Environmental Eng, that one is also not strong at all, same as Gas Engineering, plenty of borrowed courses left and right no real lecturers.

Hopefully people in other schools would also give the strengths and weaknesses of their engineering faculties and you can pick better according to your strength and what you want afterwards in school. But in the very end its all up to you to make yourself something out of it.
how often does the engineering department in UNIPORT churn out first class?
(recently gained admission to study EEE )
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by seanswaggs00(m): 2:54pm On Dec 03, 2014
othman1:
which of the universities is the best in terms of computer engineering
LAUTECH.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by Futurecrown(m): 7:41am On Feb 28, 2015
Talkwisdom:
thanks for the information but the accreditation was noted to be valid for a period of five years, who knows what might happen after that five years
Bross I can deduced from your Post that you are myopic about COREN accreditation to spread an I'll information about UNIBEN. I will advice you to recheck that COREN website and know more about accreditation. Accreditation valid for five academic year in each Universities before the team will come back for reaccreditation.. Presently UNIBEN run Eight accredited Engineering Degree programs and all are fully accredited.. Bro, try scrutinized issue very well before discredited UNIBEN glory. come to talk about academic Standard ,you make references to UNIBEN, No wonder it was adjudged as the best research and the most innovative school in the Sub-hara African and happens to be the School that pioneered industrial Training in the whole Nigeria Universities system. for more information Google TEAMUNIBEN.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by Futurecrown(m): 10:35am On Feb 28, 2015
Emasearu:

And for computer engineering?
UNILAG,UNIBEN,OAU and UNIUYO.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by timay(m): 5:11pm On Apr 14, 2015
IjogzK:
FUTA AND Covenant University  grin
seconded CU is very good bt pple dont seem to know
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by halliruumar(m): 7:30pm On Apr 14, 2015
Come to ATBU bauchi.brother
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by baronkevin: 1:41am On May 31, 2015
FUTminna.
d only skul dat ave d 8 engineering coureses.
chemical engineerin
mech. engineerin
Elect/ engineerin
Telecommunication engineerin
Computer engineerin
Agric / bioresourses engineerin
civil engineerin
Mechatronics engineerin.
since u want to study electrical/electronics choose frm dis skuls below there re d bests nd also ave rich curicullum.
UI
FUTMINNA
UNILAG
ABU
UNILORIN.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by Emasearu(m): 4:28pm On Jul 14, 2015
Futurecrown:
UNILAG,UNIBEN,OAU and UNIUYO.
Thanks, man. I'm just seeing ur reply.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Good Private Secondary Schools Within The Lagos Metropolis. / Osun State University (UNIOSUN ) 2017/2018 Post UTME /admission Thread / The Federal University Of Technology Akure (FUTA) 2016/2017 Admission Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.