Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,696 members, 7,820,431 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:40 PM

Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President (11085 Views)

Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Joins Lazard As Senior Advisor / Nigeria Is Not Broke - Ngozi Okonjo-iweala / Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by mukina2: 10:47am On Mar 04, 2012
Nigeria’s finance minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala is among the candidates being proposed to take over the presidency of the World Bank, with the incumbent Robert Zoellick, having served notice that he would step down in June.

Ngozi was a former managing director of the bank until late last year when he resigned to become Nigeria’s finance minister, for the second time in less than a decade. She is the favorite of Nancy Birdsall, head of the Center for Global Development, who stressed that the selection process “needs to be competitive” and truly open to any candidate.

Birdsall has also proposed Nandan Nilekania, the Indian co-founder of INFOSYS.

It is crucial that “whoever ends up in the job has the legitimacy that a person that is truly competent would ensure,” she said in a phone interview with the AFP.

It is not clear yet whether Ngozi would dump Nigeria for the World bank job.

But the race is much hotter with Americans with renowned economist Jeffrey Sachs, who led the UN committee on the Millennium development goals, throwing his hat in the ring Friday in a Washington Post op-ed piece, saying the World Bank needs an expert like himself rather than another politician or Wall Street banker.

Sachs’s declaration came amid signs the United States is eyeing others for the high-profile job.

[url=http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/03/04/okonjo-iweala-others-tipped-for-world-bank-presidency/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PmNewsNigeria+%28PM+News+Nigeria%29]PM News[/url]
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by victorazy(m): 11:00am On Mar 04, 2012
Aunty Ngo I wish u gudluk
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by Nobody: 11:03am On Mar 04, 2012
Am sure her boss Goodluck would wish her Goodluck, grin
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by chucky234(m): 11:13am On Mar 04, 2012
She should go back to world bank,she failed here.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by kayceshow(m): 11:14am On Mar 04, 2012
Funny
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by dedom4all: 11:19am On Mar 04, 2012
Fantastic for Nigeria. I pray it comes tru.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by BIGERBOY1: 11:19am On Mar 04, 2012
Show me any world bank president that was not AMERICAN! Also show me an IMF president that was not European?

THIS IS A JOKE RIGHT?

Even countries with better economic clout hardly get the post (speaking of china India brazil south Africa) talk less of Nigeria.

Only PM news.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by chuks49(m): 11:39am On Mar 04, 2012
She should take voodoo economics back to World Bank.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by doctokwus: 11:52am On Mar 04, 2012
Propaganda machine @work,so dat we may re rate highly for being a candidate.History is just by d corner to rate her failure
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by eghost247(m): 11:56am On Mar 04, 2012
lets see
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by kayswag100(m): 12:09pm On Mar 04, 2012
Just lyk saying Cardinal Okogie would be the next Pope!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by splashbaby(m): 12:10pm On Mar 04, 2012
God I beg answer our prayers on time, Let her get the job and leave Nigerians alone
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by Sunofgod(m): 12:13pm On Mar 04, 2012
Token Black Candidate - "Lets throw a 'Negro' into the mix"

Whether she remains in office in Nigeria or for the world bank she nothing but a menace to societies.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by moderattor: 12:26pm On Mar 04, 2012
'what people dont understand they criticise,
what they understand
they destroy' - TB Joshua
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by Arosa(m): 12:40pm On Mar 04, 2012
@topic, That position is reserved for Hillary Clinton.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by otokx(m): 12:45pm On Mar 04, 2012
An impossibility
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by Leemak: 12:50pm On Mar 04, 2012
She wil definitely run down world financial system, a person dt cannot explain what has happened in her place of work for past 6 years(a presenter on AIT asked Iweala during subsidy removal?s saga dt what has d fed govt done with money saved 4rm diesel's subsidy removal, Okonjo replied dt she knew nothing about dt) & besides she is a silent politician & Jeffry Sach has finished d talk dt World Bank needs neither politician nor Wall Street Banker. 4 dis reasons she is not fit 4 dt post, i reserve my comments!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by klas(m): 1:00pm On Mar 04, 2012
Is Iweala a US citizen? That position is reserved for Americans just as IMF headship is for Europeans
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by tonardo(m): 1:06pm On Mar 04, 2012
moderattor:

'what people dont understand they criticise,
what they understand
they destroy' - TB Joshua

Thank u, am feed up as if nairaland has majority of fools,
God is blessing her and all u can do is abuse, criticize, back bite, she is never a failure,

Note; support a winner, for u 2 win,
don't b enemy of progress,
, Tonardo of Naija.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by ayusco: 1:16pm On Mar 04, 2012
Like biger boy n klas hav said iweala is not an american citizen so she can never b world bank prez
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by aurenflani: 1:34pm On Mar 04, 2012
until someone tell me who she is, weather she"s nigerian or biafran, i reserve my comments;whic are huge by the way!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by BabaO2: 1:35pm On Mar 04, 2012
We are yet to know the actual role of okonjo iweala at world bank because of easily carried away with confused state of minds of some Nigerians  that are unnecessarily embellishing iweala's profile .
The real World bank  MD  is an American that will be leaving in June , how come Nigerians keep reffering to iweala as the world bank MD.
No stark third world country can present candidate  for world bank MD position . World bank can employ  third world as staff and  train them like they did for iweala /other Nigerians
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by ezer(m): 1:45pm On Mar 04, 2012
This woman make us deltans proud!!, kudos mama!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by kizito96(m): 2:04pm On Mar 04, 2012
Nigerians don't know your value, you can go to where hard work is appreciated
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by onyewec3: 2:19pm On Mar 04, 2012
Good, dats to show dat some nigerians are just critics, she has done well so far. With her recent 25% salary cut as tax for pple earning above 144k so as to bridge d gap btwn d poor and d rich, she's good
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by Piyke: 2:29pm On Mar 04, 2012
@ klas

klas:

Is Iweala a US citizen? That position is reserved for Americans just as IMF headship is for Europeans

Just what I was about to say. Its the rule. Don't recollect any non us person taking up the post nor a non european heading IMF.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by VoodooDoll(m): 3:02pm On Mar 04, 2012
I think NOI holds dual citizenship (Nigeria and US), but it is highly improbable that America will cede control of the World Bank head role to someone who is not substantively American (ie US citizen by birth, breeding and heritage).

As to whether she is qualified I shall reserve my comment but I do not believe Nigeria's Budget 2012 as drafted shows her in a good light.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by bakila: 3:13pm On Mar 04, 2012
Back to sender,
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by okstol: 3:20pm On Mar 04, 2012
@Bigger boy and co, Dominique Strauss-Kahn and Christine Largade don't are both french. Don't rush up to threads with ur baseless misinformation.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President by Nobody: 4:25pm On Mar 04, 2012
Let her go, at least nigeria will rest from the western theories she has been imposing on hapless nigerians.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Produce Detergent / Intercontinental Bank And Access Bank Merge? / Enugu Traders Get N1 Million Each For Their Burnt Shops

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.