Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,247 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:12 AM

Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities (6883 Views)

Dangote Truck And Properties Burnt As Kogi-poly Stage Protest - Photos / Aliko Dangote's Daughter Graduates From Coventry University (Photos) / Ogun Govt To Spend N2 Billion On Textbooks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by supereagle(m): 5:10am On Mar 06, 2012
Dangote Group has injected N1 billion into Nigeria’s education sector, a statement from the conglomerate has said.

According to the statement, Katsina State University got a donation of N200 million from the sum while N500 million was given for the development of Bayero State University Business School in Kano.

Funding was also provided for the construction of a 500 student capacity hostel complex of the University of Science and Technology, Wudil; gave N118 million for a squash complex project at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka main campus and donated N50 million to the University of Port Harcourt.

To assist with the smooth take-off of the proposed Otuoke University in Bayelsa State the group donated N100 million.

Dangote Group has also introduced an academy which runs a special training school for graduate engineers.

Haruna Adinoyi, the Head of the Dangote Academy, while speaking with newsmen at the academy’s premises in Obajana, Kogi State said the school also runs vocational training for diploma graduates. He added that the students are retrained for 12months so that they could be employable in the Dangote Industries.

“As it is now most of our graduates are not employable. We want them to be grounded. This is part of our contributions to this country,” he said.

Thirty fresh graduates from engineering fields are currently undergoing a one year intensive training at the Dangote Academy.

http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/dangote-splashes-n1-billion-universities
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by kunyeo(m): 6:00am On Mar 06, 2012
Where does Dangote make bulk of his profit? SW! Yet no university in the region deserves anything. Quite unfair.
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by Chinyxboy(m): 10:25am On Mar 06, 2012
I love this. Dangote has proven over the years that he really knows what education means to the development of a nation through human reasource and development. Seriously, this money make alot of sense. Our concirn now is for these various institutions of higher learning to utilize this funds very well so as to live up to its designed aims and objectives.
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by mcchegzy(m): 11:31am On Mar 06, 2012
grin at least he is giving back
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by Arosa(m): 11:36am On Mar 06, 2012
That is what am talking about. God bless you Dangote. And may more rich Nigerians follow suit.
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by youngmonie: 11:38am On Mar 06, 2012
TAx, (if ppl know wht i mean), good on him thoo
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:41am On Mar 06, 2012
Nice one smiley. But did UNN have a say in what project they wanted to build with the grant? If they did and they picked a squash court (knowing the dearth of major infrastructure like Hostels), then they've got their priorities upside down.
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by LEXYLOV: 11:41am On Mar 06, 2012
Thank you sir, at least for given back some of what you have profited from Nigerians.
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by ifihearam: 11:42am On Mar 06, 2012
I sense this man is gathering momemtum for the presidency and this na campaihn strategy.am very sure.
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by dare2think: 11:43am On Mar 06, 2012
kunyeo:

Where does Dangote make bulk of his profit? SW! Yet no university in the region deserves anything. Quite unfair.

Which Region needs improvements in Education the most?

1 Like

Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by eghost247(m): 11:47am On Mar 06, 2012
now thats a good deed
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by Sagamite(m): 11:51am On Mar 06, 2012
This Dangote guy is just a Top Guy.
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by tpcom1(m): 11:52am On Mar 06, 2012
IMO, any contribution towards youth development is a positive one, much welcomed and higly appreciated.
There might be a debate on why what was given to where, but in a  country where such positive news rarely comes to us, I say we accept this gensture and not read too much into it.  Maybe in Dangote's or any other willing philantrophic nigerian's next gesture the other universities will also be favoured.

Thank you mr Dangote for this (no matter who you have dined and gone to bed with in the past to get such enormous wealth).
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by dregun: 11:55am On Mar 06, 2012
Nice 1 aliko, but d dude cld hv distributed this funds more evenly across d geopol zones, Bt gud 1 all d same
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by Fyngal1(f): 12:01pm On Mar 06, 2012
squash court ke? What abt functional laboratories? Library? Is squash even a recognised sport in nigeria?
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by hamed22: 12:02pm On Mar 06, 2012
Dangote u will be bless more and more, dis is wat we are expecting 4rm our rich pple in dis nation not government alone.
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by agoshofin(m): 12:04pm On Mar 06, 2012
Money not evenly distributed, & I doubt if there is any monitoring framework. because the VCs will just change their official cars & use the rest to buy fuel and campaign for their next term in office.
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by 9jafreak: 12:18pm On Mar 06, 2012
I hope Mr. Dangote and Rochas can pressure the government to PRIORITIZE EDUCATION in this country.

EDUCATION IS THE ONLY WAY out of darkness for Africa!
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by PROUDTOBENAIJA(m): 12:24pm On Mar 06, 2012
at least, to me this is better than asking members of your congregation to donate n20k or n50k to support an already expensive private-dream university.
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by kizito96(m): 1:07pm On Mar 06, 2012
Good Initiative. Human Development is the ultimate
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by pedestal82(m): 1:10pm On Mar 06, 2012
Bleep all those of U reading meaning into this gesture. And I love the question asked/ answer by a poster" what part need help the most". For the poster asking for the South west's share, go and ask Obasanjo, and the rest rich to give to ur region. Dangote more power to ur elbow joor!
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by stepo707: 1:11pm On Mar 06, 2012
PROUDTOBENAIJA:

at least, to me this is better than asking members of your congregation to donate n20k or n50k to support an already expensive private-dream university.
Abi

Thumbs up to Dangote group for giving back to society and helping this Universities that government have refused to adequately fund well.
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by humblebee: 1:14pm On Mar 06, 2012
kunyeo:

as much as i agree with you, please let him start from the north, they need education more over there, without it, they seem to be brainless and worthless. we've had enough herdsmen/murders
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by kunlekunle: 1:18pm On Mar 06, 2012
A challenge to southern oil millionaires.
invest in the south
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by solaceguy(m): 1:30pm On Mar 06, 2012
K
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by Akintola11(m): 1:39pm On Mar 06, 2012
The latest instalment of 'This Week in Nigeria'-Thousands mourn at Ojukwu’s burial, Nigerian Football Federation faces examination, Guinness Nigeria continues to grow & much more!

http://thinkafricapress.com/nigeria/blog/week-nigeria-ojukwu-buried
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by nijanigga: 1:54pm On Mar 06, 2012
Absolute rubbish, poverty stricken Nigerians are singing hallelluiah to dangote.Ask yourselves, how many oil blocks dangote and co stole from Niger deltans.How many people dangote trailers have killed in Nigeria? A guy that rose to fame during Abacha's era, by solely responsible for importing to sugar,flour and cements into the country. All past and present presidents since 1999, dangote almost bankrolled the campaign funds of PDP.I thought during the oil strike Nigerians will demand a fair share of Nigeria's wealth,alas,we all chicken out. They would rather steal, scam,rob to raise their economic-socio statusquo. Dangote a thief, is giving out a toilet paper change, they are praising him,can you see why Nigeria will NEVER BE A GREAT COUNTRY? Right now,smaller African countries are poking our eyes, in an ideal situation, Nigeria should be commanding respect atleast in Africa as USA does in the world. Common South Africa would not let 125 Nigerians enter SA, in response Nigeria deported 25 South Africans, who lost? Ofcouse he is not the only one, all the theiving Nigerian billionaires should be brought to book,by direct or indirect REVOLUTION.
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by ogolope: 1:57pm On Mar 06, 2012
strategic channelling of the funds in a widely unsettled multi-ethnic society #not cool#, also, he is giving out N1 billion but believe me he'll reap in hundreds of billions cos all these are propagandas with the sole intent to gain monopoly in what ever thing(s) he wants (i remember he gave OBJ N2 billion for second term campaign and it paid off), now he remembers the university in GEJ's hometown.
in all Social Responsibilities in society(ies) like ours should be done in a way that it will spread across to aid integration (effect of the integration will be more as a psychological effect).

Dangote is a "private politician", i stand to be corrected

And please don't get me wrong, the donation is good but how it was carried out isn't encouraging plus we all know he'll gain the most in the long run.
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by uchesco(m): 2:16pm On Mar 06, 2012
Nice one Dangote, Students of history will tell you that a good businessman always remembers to build a lot of goodwill, so that he can cash in on it later.

I remember when the late MKO Abiola donated 1 million naira each which was really big back then) to all universities in Nigeria. Look at all the goodwill it gave him, That, plus the other goodies he so generously doled out made it that when he chose to run for elections, it was those students who joined their teachers and other Nigerians to vote for him,

Dangote is not planning to go into the heat of politics, he prefers to operate in the background. So maybe he is just gathering goodwill so that his businesses will continue to operate peacefully. Notice he donated to the upcoming University in the President's hometown?

Whatever his motive, my worry(which should be our worry) is that the money will not be properly used.
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by minimynimo(m): 2:36pm On Mar 06, 2012
Hell with 'em
Re: Dangote Splashes N1 Billion On Universities by Arosa(m): 2:50pm On Mar 06, 2012
See bad belle peeps don come. make other rich Nigerians go do their own na. make them get lots of goodwill. I hate ungrateful people. angry angry angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mixed Reactions As Underage Kid Drives Himself To School In Luxury Mercedes-Benz / How To Change JAMB UTME Subject Combinations 2015 Yourself / Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.