Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,705 members, 7,809,685 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:04 PM

Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal (6886 Views)

Principal Impregnates SS3 Student, Rushes Her For Wedding - Universal Reporters / Lagos Demotes 4 Principals, 3 VPs, Others / UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by mynaija123(m): 4:42pm On Oct 17, 2012
Oshiomhole fires 41 school inspectors, demotes principal

Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State yesterday announced the removal of 41 zonal inspectors and chief inspectors of education and local government education officers over non-performance and negligence of duty in continuation of the on-going sanitization of the state education sector. The decision, according to him, was the outcome of a continuing performance audit.

Also, the governor announced the demotion of the Vice Principal of New Era College, Mr. S.E Akhabue, from Grade Level 15 to Grade Level 14 for being a perpetual latecomer. While meeting the affected school inspectors and officers at the Government House, the governor disclosed that the administrative details of the change in the school inspectorate would be made known in the coming days.

It would be recalled that the governor had paid series of unscheduled visits to public schools across the state in the last two weeks, where he made mind-boggling discoveries bordering on absenteeism or dereliction of duty by teachers. Addressing the inspectors yesterday, Oshiomhole said: “It’s obvious from what I’ve seen today and from what you’ve told me that you’ve all breached your basic duties, which is to monitor schools and file basic reports, which among things, should include reports on those present and absent so that government can take steps to assist those who want to work to remain and those who don’t want to work to go home.

“Edo State Government has lost millions of naira of taxpayers’ money because of your failure to do your duties. “You are guilty of negligence of duty and even abandonment of your duties. I believe that most times, you don’t even come to work. We do not need this set of zonal inspectors of education, chief inspectors of education and local government education inspectors. “The days are gone when people don’t do their jobs. It’s shocking that you recognize that you are supposed to have written reports, yet you fail to do so.

“I am happy that parents and guardians are returning their children and wards to public schools as a result of the massive investment we have made in the education sector, yet, you who are to ensure that teachers work do not do so. “I’m not hiding the fact that only those who are willing to work will keep their jobs. Everybody must be accountable.” I am accountable to the Edo people, the House of Assembly is accountable, and so if we are accountable, who are you not to be accountable.

“If the teachers don’t teach, we have no future and your brief is to ensure that the teachers work and yet you failed to do that. “It’s a new Edo, everybody must be put on notice to work and justify their pay. I have a duty to remind you that when you have abandoned your job, you have also lost it.” The Vice Principal of New Era College, Mr. Akhabue, who was demoted by a grade level during an unscheduled visit to the school by the governor, was found guilty of perpetually getting to the office late.

The time-book of the teachers, which the governor went through showed that the vice principal sometimes got to the office as late as 9:55a.m.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/national/oshiomhole-fires-41-school-inspectors-demotes-principal/

6 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by redsun(m): 5:10pm On Oct 17, 2012
It is quite an examplary action.Managers of education,of all people should be at the forefront of discipline.But the only snag is that their efforts sometimes is not worth the trouble,they are well paid and recognized in nigeria.

Teachers are the backbone of a country,because they shape and nuture the laeders of tomorrow,if they are not doing a great job,then there wont be great leaders.They have to know what they are doing,they have to be responsible and they have to have descent wages,so that they wont have any reason to be distracted from their core duties of impacting positively and cognitively on the younger generation.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by nurus: 8:02pm On Oct 17, 2012
I tink giving them query and witholding their salaries could have been better.The punishment is too harsh.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by emekaD3(m): 4:15am On Oct 18, 2012
HE HAS LEARNT THE "ROCHAS METHOD" ALREADY?

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by gbadexy(m): 4:42am On Oct 18, 2012
I support nurus.
He would do better to reinstate them later and maybe demote them after some time.
But others would really sit tight now.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by aitanofi(m): 4:48am On Oct 18, 2012
This is indeed commendable, everyone has to be accountable for his action, the era of pay without work is gone, this is an exemplary move frm the comrade to checkmate our educational sector, though most nairalanders will see his action to be too harsh, but the truth must be told, we can nt continue to deceive ourself in this country any longer.

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by Richy4(m): 5:29am On Oct 18, 2012
Bayelsa State would have been a better place to check absenteeism. My NYSC days was an eye opener. Principal requesting for 14 copers to be posted in their schools,Making teachers free from their duty,living the entire work load to copers. only for them to show up on pay day.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by antontech(m): 5:30am On Oct 18, 2012
A good example,other will learn their lesson

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by Nwandol: 6:01am On Oct 18, 2012
nurus: I tink giving them query and witholding their salaries could have been better.The punishment is too harsh.
.I disagree with u,if he had witheld there salaries people like u W̶̲̥̅̊Iι̥ι̥ still say its too harsh aπϑ demand for a simple warning instead. We need harsh treatment in dis country for thing to move smoothly

4 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by Nobody: 6:05am On Oct 18, 2012
This is a foolish decision by the governor and a tarnish on the ACN governance. Is the cutting of the head the cure to an headache. Giving them query, suspension, demotion o whatever would ave been the best option. He deliberately did that, and only God knows why he did it. This days, you would hardly find a staff that did not come late to work due to one reason or the other. He was a former labour leader, and he should know how every worker feels in the country especially the civil servants, and even by doing this, he might have breached the provisions of the workers terms of employment. How much are they being paid sef? This is too harsh, and I think the affected teachers should tender their case before an industrial court. Is he not guilty of the offences they committed as well, being a politician.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by BigBossMan(m): 6:19am On Oct 18, 2012
Hayjaycity: This is a foolish decision by the governor and a tarnish on the ACN governance. Is the cutting of the head the cure to an headache. Giving them query, suspension, demotion o whatever would ave been the best option. He deliberately did that, and only God knows why he did it. This days, you would hardly find a staff that did not come late to work due to one reason or the other. He was a former labour leader, and he should know how every worker feels in the country especially the civil servants, and even by doing this, he might have breached the provisions of the workers terms of employment. How much are they being paid sef? This is too harsh, and I think the affected teachers should tender their case before an industrial court. Is he not guilty of the offences they committed as well, being a politician.

HE SACKED INSPECTORS NOT TEACHERS. HE PAID A VISIT TO SCHOOLS AND FOUND OUT THAT THE TEACHERS WERE NO WHERE TO BE FOUND SO HE TURN TO THE INSPECTORS AND FOUND OUT THAT THEY WERE THE PROBLEMS! MOST OF THESE INSPECTORS ARE ACTUALLY GHOST WORKERS. DONT BLAME THE COMRADE GOVERNOR BECAUSE HE COULD HAVE DONE THE SAME TO TEACHERS AND OTHER ACADEMIC STAFF.

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by seaktoks: 6:39am On Oct 18, 2012
gbadexy: I support nurus.
He would do better to reinstate them later and maybe demote them after some time.
But others would really sit tight now.
[color=#000099][/color]I thought as much....
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by browncool(m): 6:39am On Oct 18, 2012
emeka.D.:
Rochas learnt these bold step from him
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by Nobody: 6:41am On Oct 18, 2012
Big BossMan:

HE SACKED INSPECTORS NOT TEACHERS. HE PAID A VISIT TO SCHOOLS AND FOUND OUT THAT THE TEACHERS WERE NO WHERE TO BE FOUND SO HE TURN TO THE INSPECTORS AND FOUND OUT THAT THEY WERE THE PROBLEMS! MOST OF THESE INSPECTORS ARE ACTUALLY GHOST WORKERS. DONT BLAME THE COMRADE GOVERNOR BECAUSE HE COULD HAVE DONE THE SAME TO TEACHERS AND OTHER ACADEMIC STAFF.

I didn't mention "teacher" in my post, inpectors, teachers, principals are all civil servants, and it is still wrong for him to take such action. I work in a government parastatal, even as a monitoring and inpecting officer, I know how frustrating your job can be at times due to the nature of the civil service structure. Nobody can tell maybe the sacked staff were late for the first time they have been working, coz nobody heard of a warning letter been served to them previously. Let's be fair in our judgment coz we are all human and we make mistakes. But one thing I know is they will be recalled, because its the system's fault and not the staff. If the system treates you right, you will be right, and if it treates you wrongly, you will definitely go wrong. This inspectors may having making useful recommendations to the government on how to improve the education sector, but government turning deaf hears, which makes the inspectors to be demoralised and demotivated at work. Sacking them is not the best way to pay them back coz nobody likes to have a sack in his/her CV.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by 2sexy(m): 6:53am On Oct 18, 2012
nurus: I tink giving them query and witholding their salaries could have been better.The punishment is too harsh.
So, you condone rubbish ehn? What are they being paid for?

This why Nigeria is what it is today, you go to the hospital, school, etc and people are so reluctant to the job they are paid for. I have only met a very few people who are so deligent in what they do. I remember my secondary schoool physics teacher back then. Strike or no strike, this man continues to do his job. He loves what he does.

If you are not paasionate about what you do, then there is no need to take such job. Some will even act as if you and them had a quarrel before.

Take a look at all the abandoned project in Nigeria. What do you think is the major cause? Is it not because nobody is monitoring them? At my school, some staff will delibrately tell you to come back but arent doing anything at that time.. This the Nigeria where people are so quick to point fingers to top government officials for one problem or the other, but they fail to blame themselves also for the nonchalant behaviour exhibited at various levels.

It is in this case that they are not leaders but Good Luck, Fashola, Oshiomole, Governor Obi, Oduaghan, etc are the only leaders. Who is fooling who?

Kudos to my comrade Governor. May God bless you as you sweep out dirts from our society.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by demitola(m): 7:11am On Oct 18, 2012
Mmm, to be thorughly fair, then he's got alot of shakings to do. He shld stat frm dos various state figurehead-ministries, local governmnt system nko? Many are guilty of dis crime in d civil service circle. And he shldnt be suprizd, his own family members in d setting kld also be affktd.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by preciousoz: 7:15am On Oct 18, 2012
With Millions of Eligible graduates in the Streets looking for Jobs, some people still play with theirs....even the most coveted Govt Jobs ?

When U work in the Private sector (e.g bank) be U Contract or Core staff, even cleanersn U don't go late to work talk less of Abandoning your post. People like these are the reason Govt is not working and we Keep running our mouth that Nigeria is a Failed State. Here is a Man that wants His state to work and I want other state Governors to Emulate Him. Nigeria Comprises 36 States and gradualy we will get it Right.

Govt is not Jonathan or the Governors, We are the Govt.

Punishment too Harsh? This is a third world Nation and with corruption deep into our marrows, I believe this is what We understand.

Our civil service stinks with corruption and some people are not Good at anything. You Find Many of them in the Civil service where they idle away and cry for salaries and bonuses at the end of the Month.

Kudos Oshio Baba

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by kuntash: 7:44am On Oct 18, 2012
Hayjaycity: This is a foolish decision by the governor and a tarnish on the ACN governance. Is the cutting of the head the cure to an headache. Giving them query, suspension, demotion o whatever would ave been the best option. He deliberately did that, and only God knows why he did it. This days, you would hardly find a staff that did not come late to work due to one reason or the other. He was a former labour leader, and he should know how every worker feels in the country especially the civil servants, and even by doing this, he might have breached the provisions of the workers terms of employment. How much are they being paid sef? This is too harsh, and I think the affected teachers should tender their case before an industrial court. Is he not guilty of the offences they committed as well, being a politician.

AJ city abi wetin dem call you sef, from your second post, I see where you are coming from and your orientation and understanding regards the labour law, workforce et al.

how can you say such action was foolish? what excuse are you giving on behalf of the sacked ad-hoc monitoring team? are you not encouraging negligence?

by the way whats the issue with ACN here? do u really think Oshiomhole is working based on the tenets of the AC hidden brochure or manifesto as others do?

wake up, my friend, no wonder its always said that civil servants can hardly fit into the private sector, I am sure the likes of you would go against privatizing PHCN.: - for your mind, you think Oshiomole would allow the merry go round chop the money and leave the work attitude to thrive? na wa for u o.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by Sijo01(f): 7:48am On Oct 18, 2012
The VP of New era college is to loss one month salary n will be posted out of the school to a rural school.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by AmenJoan(f): 7:55am On Oct 18, 2012
The truth is the teachers engage in a lot of eyeservice just as the comrade governor. I went to a school by my house to see the principal as regards admission for a ward. Can u imagine the students seat on the floor? bare floor. The comrade governor is more interested in pulling down old roofs and replacing them with red roofs so everyone will say he is working. In tthe same school that is unfenced, no laboratories, students bring their own chalk. Cowbell donated some computers to the school, besides the fact that thr was no lab to put them, the school is unfenced and security is non existent so they won't last the night if left in the school compound. Working enviroment is very poor so morale is seriously low. I did my youth service in a school in ibadan some years back and the difference in both states is like night and day. I could go on and on...
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by Lyth: 7:58am On Oct 18, 2012
Hayjaycity:

Nobody can tell maybe the sacked staff were late for the first time they have been working, coz nobody heard of a warning letter been served to them previously.
Let's be fair in our judgment coz we are all human and we make mistakes.
This inspectors may having making useful recommendations to the government on how to improve the education sector, but government turning deaf hears, which makes the inspectors to be demoralised and demotivated at work. Sacking them is not the best way to pay them back coz nobody likes to have a sack in his/her CV.

The sacked peeps were not sacked 4 being late but 4 not doing their job, its d VP dat was demoted 4 being late. As 4 being 1st tym offenders, does d word "reports" as opposed 2 "report" not tell u dat their offence is of multiple counts? And how do u make recommendations without REPORTS? Making a mistake wyl working is acceptable but where's d mistake in shunning ur duties? And yes I agree wit u dat sacking them is not d best way 2 repay them(d word 'sack' is too harsh) so let's go wit "relieving them of their duties", cos I dnt see d point in kyping ghostworkers in d govts payroll.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by Lyth: 8:12am On Oct 18, 2012
Amen Joan: The truth is the teachers engage in a lot of eyeservice just as the comrade governor. I went to a school by my house to see the principal as regards admission for a ward. Can u imagine the students seat on the floor? bare floor. The comrade governor is more interested in pulling down old roofs and replacing them with red roofs so everyone will say he is working. In tthe same school that is unfenced, no laboratories, students bring their own chalk. Cowbell donated some computers to the school, besides the fact that thr was no lab to put them, the school is unfenced and security is non existent so they won't last the night if left in the school compound. Working enviroment is very poor so morale is seriously low. I did my youth service in a school in ibadan some years back and the difference in both states is like night and day. I could go on and on...

And d point of this ur "tales by moonlyt" is that d Gov's action above is eye-service huh?

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by MadCow1: 8:27am On Oct 18, 2012
emeka.D.:

Whats the Rochas method biko?! Did you hear that he closed schools for his birthday or that he said he will start paying students 100 Naira a month salary?!

Abeg drex jor!!
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by Nobody: 8:32am On Oct 18, 2012
EDO is rising! Oshiomole is working!!
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 18, 2012
It is not enough for a governor to wield the big stick against one of his pet hates - poor punctuality - if in the long run no real behavioural change takes place.

What oversight is provided by the commissioner of education in Edo state, at a time when there appears to be a widespread problem with the performance of teachers/inspectors?
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by kessyur: 8:41am On Oct 18, 2012
This are actions u see during the second tenure of political office holders. Good moves and an avenue for Benin lawyers to make some ba.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by agohavivi(f): 8:50am On Oct 18, 2012
Its necessary that one is good to those he meets on his way up cos he might meet them on his way down. Most people in government especially highly placed officers, make scapegoats of junior officers or subordinates whereas the vices they usually condemn are things they were very much involved in before assumption of office. Don't get me wrong, i greatly condemn indiscipline and neglect in one's duty but I'm of the opinion that oshimole seeks other means of addressing theses vices rather than laying off workers who are supposed breadwinners. Someone told me he saw at the airport sometime ago, a former NNPC GMD known to be so mean and inconsiderate in his execution of duties. He kept making different calls appealing to one person or the other to come pick him at the airport yet he kept receiving excuses. This was a man who when he had his birthday years ago could count well over 40 full paged birthday greetings on one national daily or the other and moved in very long convoy even when going for lunch. The earlier oshiomole and the likes of Fashola realises that Nigerians have very short memories, the better for them.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by henrysam(m): 9:05am On Oct 18, 2012
Nwando.l.:
.I disagree with u,if he had witheld there salaries people like u W̶̲̥̅̊Iι̥ι̥ still say its too harsh aπϑ demand for a simple warning instead. We need harsh treatment in dis country for thing to move smoothly
I buy your idea my brother. We really need harsh penalties for indolent and corrupt people in this country. The only reasons why people are blaming the president is that he needs not spare anybody. The only language Nigerian people understand is serious punishments. Others will sit tight now and Edo will be a cynosure in the committee of states in terms of educational development etc
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by Nobody: 9:10am On Oct 18, 2012
kuntash:

AJ city abi wetin dem call you sef, from your second post, I see where you are coming from and your orientation and understanding regards the labour law, workforce et al.

how can you say such action was foolish? what excuse are you giving on behalf of the sacked ad-hoc monitoring team? are you not encouraging negligence?

by the way whats the issue with ACN here? do u really think Oshiomhole is working based on the tenets of the AC hidden brochure or manifesto as others do?

wake up, my friend, no wonder its always said that civil servants can hardly fit into the private sector, I am sure the likes of you would go against privatizing PHCN.: - for your mind, you think Oshiomole would allow the merry go round chop the money and leave the work attitude to thrive? na wa for u o.

Let me tell you.
1. In a given labour market, those applicants that has a civil service experience will always have an edge over othere, because all ministries are well equipped with up to date organisational procedures, and a civil servant knows the difference btw a private sector and a public sector. So they fit in any organisation.
2. I am a strong supporter of tthe privatisation of the PHCN.
3. I didn't argue that those inpectors are not guilty of the offences, but there are clear terms in contract of employment in which conditions of summary dismissal are clearly stated, and as a graduate of Industrial and Labour Relations, I don't think latecoming can lead to summary dismisal of an employee.
4. Mind the way u choose your words for me, if I start with you, the purpose of this thread will be derailed..go and search for hayjaycity on NL o..you will all start saying dis hayjaycity sef, shey e go to school sha.
Thankx as u make corrections a
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by OmoTier1(m): 9:15am On Oct 18, 2012
agoha_vivi: Its necessary that one is good to those he meets on his way up cos he might meet them on his way down. Most people in government especially highly placed officers, make scapegoats of junior officers or subordinates whereas the vices they usually condemn are things they were very much involved in before assumption of office. Don't get me wrong, i greatly condemn indiscipline and neglect in one's duty but I'm of the opinion that oshimole seeks other means of addressing theses vices rather than laying off workers who are supposed breadwinners. Someone told me he saw at the airport sometime ago, a former NNPC GMD known to be so mean and inconsiderate in his execution of duties. He kept making different calls appealing to one person or the other to come pick him at the airport yet he kept receiving excuses. This was a man who when he had his birthday years ago could count well over 40 full paged birthday greetings on one national daily or the other and moved in very long convoy even when going for lunch. The earlier oshiomole and the likes of Fashola realises that Nigerians have very short memories, the better for them.

Why do some of you talk like cave men? If it was in private schools these inspectors fail to do their job would they not be sent packing? Why then should that of the government be different? Some of these Inspectors should be lucky that Oshiomhole only sacked them and didn't ask them to return half of the wages they were paid for doing a 'hatch' job for the government!

Do you expect that Edo state government would spend billions of tax payers money in renovating schools and then expect that pupils turn up only to be left on their own to count the beautiful looking ceilings, while the inspectors that are suppose to make sure these schools are ran effectively abandon their jobs, and the government will continue to do 'siddon look'?

I hardly give a face to those who think they can cheat the system and then hide under the clout of 'mercy me'. If Nigeria is to be what God envisioned it to be, people with your mentality needs to be sent packing. The are countless millions of Nigerians who are passionate about teaching and making our schools a heaven for raising global champions and are ready to render their service to the state and nation, so why put up with mediocre s

Good job my able governor, action they say speaks louder than words. Now other inspectors would adjust very quickly! Nigeria needs more of your type.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by AmenJoan(f): 9:41am On Oct 18, 2012
The point of my tales by moonlight is that he should tackle root issues & stop window dressing
Lyth:

And d point of this ur "tales by moonlyt" is that d Gov's action above is eye-service huh?
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal by GARRIx7(m): 9:59am On Oct 18, 2012
Well Done, Comrade Governor!!!!

“If the teachers don’t teach, we have no future and your brief is to ensure that the teachers work and yet you failed to do that. “It’s a new Edo, everybody must be put on notice to work and justify their pay. I have a duty to remind you that when you have abandoned your job, you have also lost it.”

When is Dame Patience Jonathan gonna be sacked for absenteeism?? grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jamb/utme Cbt Practice Software(test Driller) Activation Code / Abia State Teachers Embark On Strike Over 6 Months Unpaid Salaries / Photos: Teacher Suspended 4 Showing Her Students Before & Now Pics Of Her Breast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.