Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

Bribe - Cultural In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Bribe - Cultural In Nigeria (1296 Views)

Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bribe - Cultural In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:25pm On Mar 07, 2012
Come to think of it, in most of the major tribes in Nigeria I have noticed that bribe seems to be embedded in their cultures. For instance in the east if you want to go and ask someone for favour you have to go with gift; yam, fowl, schennap etc. Likewise in other parts of the country . Though traditionally these gift items are not meant to influence their decisions, but guess everyone knows how it does these days.

Guys I need your input on this. Please discuss without name calling.
Re: Bribe - Cultural In Nigeria by Ptolomeus(m): 6:10pm On Mar 07, 2012
I could not understand the meaning of the word "schennap". I am a foreigner, but I guess it refers to money given to complete a procedure.
I will not think of Africa, because traditions do not know.
But such things are solved with proper management of state (this sort of thing can not happen in the public domain).
In my country this kind of situation existed in large numbers, but a change of mentality, driven by appropriate policies and awareness of all yields quick results. Today, such practices can be said that not seen in my country.
If we refer to more complex situations, such as bribe to a traffic violation , occurs in very low numbers, almost negligible, as it has become aware that both the infringer and the agent can report, and both are doing something wrong.
Hope this helps
Re: Bribe - Cultural In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:44pm On Mar 07, 2012
^^^

schennap means locally made gin. I got your point, honestly I personally think that the cancer called bribering that is eating our country to death in every sector is something that is embedded in our tradition. At least in the SE I know for sure that in the olden days for instance, if you have a case to answer before the elder's council you sure may have gone round to "seek their faces" by giving them gifts. These gifts are what tradition requires, coz it is an insult to show up in an elder's house "empty -handed" . But those days, you showing up with gift does not necessary mean that their decision will favour you but then it at least gives you the privileged to have table your issues in your own way without being under any form of pressure, before decisions are made. I strongly believe that these acts may have overtime find its way into the everyday life when now experience when faced with crime charges ranging from petite traffic offence to the lots that happen in Aso villa.
Re: Bribe - Cultural In Nigeria by Ptolomeus(m): 6:56pm On Mar 07, 2012
Sure ,
I understand what you say.
This example of the elders councils is very graphic. In this example there are not only historical, but even part of the culture of society (I do not I mean it's something good or bad), and therefore it is difficult to change ,
It is a very complex issue because it is not only ethical, but there are other cultural reasons involved.

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Calabar People Very Short? / Photo: Photos Of A Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practice / Obaaro Of Kabba Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.