Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,366 members, 7,954,487 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:11 PM

Why Is Ogogoro Termed Illicit & Jack Daniels Isn't? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is Ogogoro Termed Illicit & Jack Daniels Isn't? (1317 Views)

Why Are African Powers Used Negatively And Termed Evil Powers Or Dark Powers / Why Is Ogogoro Termed Illicit & Jack Daniels Isn't ? / Why Is Everything Bad Termed BLACK? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Ogogoro Termed Illicit & Jack Daniels Isn't? by IdomaLikita: 11:38am On Jul 24, 2013
Why Is Ogogoro(Local Gin) Illicit, Yet Exotic Rums are Stocked On The Shelves Of Most Supermarkets??

For Crying Out Loud, They Are Both Alcoholic and Cause Similar Damage..Yet Why Is One Looked Down Upon?

This Started With The British Colonialists Who Outlawed the Sale of Local Gin so as to monopolize the Market

Its even more appalling that 60yrs since they left, We've still not been able to shake off that Stench of Imperialism

I'm not 4 d Sale or Consumption of Alcohol, But If We MUST drink, den let's drink our own...(Afterall, Sake, Tequila, Vodka, etc are still the Number 1 selling Brands in Japan, Mexico and Russia Respectively)

Make una help me Reason am abeg!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Ogogoro Termed Illicit & Jack Daniels Isn't? by ZACHIE: 11:51am On Jul 24, 2013
ol boy, you get talent o...alco talent. Use it to defend ogogoro jare

1 Like

Re: Why Is Ogogoro Termed Illicit & Jack Daniels Isn't? by spenca: 12:48pm On Jul 24, 2013
If you must drive ,why dont you drive nigerian made cars if there is any or if you must wear cloth, which is socially right todo why must you put on suit ,jean and all since they are not african. Am neither promoting either of both buh there is something dichotomized into less developed , developing n developed , people may take or sell JD Or any other foreign based liqour out of preference or something they would regard as more developed liqour while ogogoro aint. So its not about imperalism or not ,even americans take German beers bcoz they are far better than that made local.... but all join Fela would say "na colo(colonial) mentality)
Re: Why Is Ogogoro Termed Illicit & Jack Daniels Isn't? by IdomaLikita: 5:03pm On Jul 24, 2013

1 Like

Re: Why Is Ogogoro Termed Illicit & Jack Daniels Isn't? by spenca: 10:12pm On Jul 24, 2013
We both saying the samething americans would drink german beers n not american beers because of preference or because the germans have a better beer , why do you want me to take ogogoro when i dont like it or it is lesser than the eliot liqour i take ? Its not about pratrioticsm buh that which i deem better or prefer
Re: Why Is Ogogoro Termed Illicit & Jack Daniels Isn't? by Tunmi(f): 1:54pm On Jul 25, 2013
It still stems from colonialism. Neither one is "better" as both are harmful to one's health. I honestly prefer palmwine and all of our drinks to the foreign ones. Malta is my only exception. I am waiting to see manufactured palmwine..if no one does it by the time I'm 28, I'll take it on myself to do it.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Ogogoro Termed Illicit & Jack Daniels Isn't? by IdomaLikita: 3:42pm On Jul 25, 2013
May God Bless You For Seeing The Light, My Sister! You Are Surely An Enlightened Fellow..
Don't Hesitate To Educate the Blind Ones From Time To Time, Cuz ours is a lost generation!
Re: Why Is Ogogoro Termed Illicit & Jack Daniels Isn't? by spenca: 10:54pm On Jul 25, 2013
Idoma Likita: May God Bless You For Seeing The Light, My Sister! You Are Surely An Enlightened Fellow..
Don't Hesitate To Educate the Blind Ones From Time To Time, Cuz ours is a lost generation!
The blind ones are those that dont subscribe to your view !?
Re: Why Is Ogogoro Termed Illicit & Jack Daniels Isn't? by spenca: 11:02pm On Jul 25, 2013
Tunmi: It still stems from colonialism. Neither one is "better" as both are harmful to one's health. I honestly prefer palmwine and all of our drinks to the foreign ones. Malta is my only exception. I am waiting to see manufactured palmwine..if no one does it by the time I'm 28, I'll take it on myself to do it.
Harmful to your health ? And it is still been sold worldwide ? The point of mi discussing here is not to debate on the virtues or vices of taking these drinks have not come here to debate on the healthy aspect of it neither have i said anything about it been healthy so dont bring the harmful argument into this , all i see in your write up is just a straw man fallacy , my point was ogogoro n liquor which are bother spirit and no matter where one is produced from ,there would always be one of superior quality that is what i meant by it been better, palmwine never came to my point because it is not a liqour and i was only talking about liqour , dont let use our desire and patroitism to be biased, letz call a spade a spade , Africans have elements that are better of than its european or american counterpart but those entities do not involve liqour
Re: Why Is Ogogoro Termed Illicit & Jack Daniels Isn't? by IdomaLikita: 4:28pm On Jul 26, 2013
spenca:
Harmful to your health ? And it is still been sold worldwide ? The point of mi discussing here is not to debate on the virtues or vices of taking these drinks have not come here to debate on the healthy aspect of it neither have i said anything about it been healthy so dont bring the harmful argument into this , all i see in your write up is just a straw man fallacy , my point was ogogoro n liquor which are bother spirit and no matter where one is produced from ,there would always be one of superior quality that is what i meant by it been better, palmwine never came to my point because it is not a liqour and i was only talking about liqour , dont let use our desire and patroitism to be biased, letz call a spade a spade , Africans have elements that are better of than its european or american counterpart but those entities do not involve liqour

In essence, U r saying European and American Liquor are better than their African Counterparts...what is the Yardstick for this ur Assessment Oga??
Let's not forget Taste can be influenced by a lot of factors oh..
All I am saying is that we need to invest into our own indigenous brand of liquor!
Who wudnt want to see Ogogoro in a Fancy Bottle with an Outrageous Price stuck to it?
Re: Why Is Ogogoro Termed Illicit & Jack Daniels Isn't? by spenca: 9:21pm On Jul 26, 2013
Idoma Likita:

In essence, U r saying European and American Liquor are better than their African Counterparts...what is the Yardstick for this ur Assessment Oga??
Let's not forget Taste can be influenced by a lot of factors oh..
All I am saying is that we need to invest into our own indigenous brand of liquor!
Who wudnt want to see Ogogoro in a Fancy Bottle with an Outrageous Price stuck to it?
What ever influences taste is all because of that good sensation it gets from the drink or substance it percieves only if you wanna talk about influences of diseases such as malaria n stuff ,and if you wanna know my yardstick go take whiskey n ogogoro n come n tell me your yardstick or resolution , yes you may request for a clarion call for the promotion of ogogoro buh it would be ignorant to say that eliot red n black label are of lower quality than ogogoro.
Re: Why Is Ogogoro Termed Illicit & Jack Daniels Isn't? by IdomaLikita: 8:34am On Jul 28, 2013
I have Tasted all the Beverages u mentioned, and believe me when I say Ogogoro is better!
Remember, Whisky burns like Whisky irrespective of its Distillery of origin, though Flavours may Differ!
Vodka has its unique taste, whether Russian or Polish!

Original Ogogoro also has a Distinctive taste which those who indulge can attest to!

Remember our Senses can be Trained also!

That is why most women are averse to the taste of Alcoholic beverage at 1st contact, but with subsequent exposure, their taste-buds begin to appreciate the taste and quality of the liquor..

I agree with you that we must promote our local gin...But I STRONGLY disagree with you that theirs tastes better than ours!

'Sake' tastes horribly for Heaven's sake...yet commands an excellent Standing in the World Liquor Market! Ogogs is farrrrrr tastier, trust me!

Happy Sunday, My Dear Friend Spence

1 Like

Re: Why Is Ogogoro Termed Illicit & Jack Daniels Isn't? by spenca: 9:14am On Jul 29, 2013
I have had ogogoro also not much tho n have had the others i mentioned , if you to you ogogoro is better and to me its not buh only good ,fine! All that explains this is preference and perception , they way i see things might not be the way you see them , we both a varing taste
Re: Why Is Ogogoro Termed Illicit & Jack Daniels Isn't? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jul 29, 2013
Woe unto ye Vodka & Whiskey addicts, for the kingdom of Ogogoro is at hand

(1) (Reply)

Culture And Background Of Hausa Speaking People In Nigeria / Should Hannibal Barca Have Taken Ptolemaic Egypt Instead Of Attacking Rome? / FACTS: Why Jews Are So Smart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.