Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,968 members, 7,952,899 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:04 AM

What Defines Happiness? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / What Defines Happiness? (1439 Views)

12 Ways To Increase Happiness In Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Defines Happiness? by maclatunji: 2:53pm On Mar 07, 2012
I ask because I am a little bit sad even when I know I shouldn't be. It is my mind that refuses to be happy I guess.
Re: What Defines Happiness? by maclatunji: 2:55pm On Mar 07, 2012
Please note, I didn't say cheer me up, just answer the question if you will. Thank you.
Re: What Defines Happiness? by tbaba1234: 3:39pm On Mar 07, 2012
I would reccommend a remarkable book for any muslim (or even non muslim) who feels sad!!

It is such a remarkable read, every muslim should read it.

"Don't be sad" by abdullah al Qarni

Give me your email and id send a pdf copy
Re: What Defines Happiness? by maclatunji: 3:40pm On Mar 07, 2012
maclatunji@ grin .com but you didn't answer me question.
Re: What Defines Happiness? by sino(m): 12:05am On Mar 08, 2012
Well, its absolutely normal to be sad once in a while for so many reasons.
As muslims, hope in meeting the mercy of Allah eventually should be a good source of happiness no matter the situation. The prophet (saw) said "strange is the matter of a beliver, when good comes to him, he is thankful & Allah rewards him and when afflicted, he is patient and Allah rewards him for his patience". Allah says in surah 94:5 "and verily after hardship comes ease".
I believe when we try our best to carry out our duties to Allah and also be of service to our immediate environment (home, mosque, community etc), happiness comes to us. Indeed Allah (swt) is the bestower of happiness.
Re: What Defines Happiness? by tpia5: 12:31am On Mar 08, 2012
Happiness is subjective ie whatever you say it is.

The individual defines the parameters of his or her own happiness.

One thing i noticed though is if you set the standard for your happiness based solely on what you perceive in others, then such people tend to never be happy.

I mean if you use others as a yardstick by which you measure your happiness, as in thinking what THEY have, is also what you need to make YOU happy, then happiness is likely to elude you. What you'll get instead is constant disatisfaction and an empty feeling even after reaching those goals.
Re: What Defines Happiness? by sino(m): 9:31am On Mar 08, 2012
@tpia, you triggered in me, a sequence of thought. I agree with you that happiness is subjective, therefore it depends on what you value most in life. So when you live your values then you can achieve happiness.
As muslims, worship is our core value, to worship Allah is the purpose of our creation (Q 51v56). Worship in islam comprises of all our daily activities when we intend to do them to please our creator and remeber him often so that he can attain the soul who is at peace with his creator just as Allah stated in quran 89 vs 27-30 (it will be said to the pious): "O (you) the one in (complete) rest and satisfaction!
"come back to your lord, well-pleased (yourself) and well-pleasing unto Him!
"enter you, then, among my honored slaves,
"and enter you my paradise!"
The ultimate happiness for a muslim is when he sets his gaze on His face, in paradise the everlasting place.
Re: What Defines Happiness? by maclatunji: 9:59am On Mar 08, 2012
sino:

@tpia, you triggered in me, a sequence of thought. I agree with you that happiness is subjective, therefore it depends on what you value most in life. So when you live your values then you can achieve happiness.
As muslims, worship is our core value, to worship Allah is the purpose of our creation (Q 51v56). Worship in islam comprises of all our daily activities when we intend to do them to please our creator and remeber him often so that he can attain the soul who is at peace with his creator just as Allah stated in quran 89 vs 27-30 (it will be said to the pious): "O (you) the one in (complete) rest and satisfaction!
"come back to your lord, well-pleased (yourself) and well-pleasing unto Him!
"enter you, then, among my honored slaves,
"and enter you my paradise!"
The ultimate happiness for a muslim is when he sets his gaze on His face, in paradise the everlasting place.

Going by your submission, I am tempted to think that we can never be truly happy whilst we are still on earth, do you agree with this deduction?
Re: What Defines Happiness? by sino(m): 10:12am On Mar 08, 2012
the world is not perfect, it comes with its ups and downs. I am saying real happiness will only be achieved in the hereafter. Remember the hadith of the prophet (saw) "this world is a prison to a believer but paradise to unbelievers".
The hope in meeting Allah's mercy cos He has promised and never fails in His promise makes us contented with whatever befalls us on this journey of ours.
Re: What Defines Happiness? by maclatunji: 8:46am On Mar 09, 2012
tbaba1234:

I would reccommend a remarkable book for any muslim (or even non muslim) who feels sad!!

It is such a remarkable read, every muslim should read it.

"Don't be sad" by abdullah al Qarni

Give me your email and id send a pdf copy

Thank you, I finally downloaded it this morning, it looks like a phenomenal book going by its table of contents. I hope to be able to read it soon.

Thank you, I appreciate it.
Re: What Defines Happiness? by IbroSaunks(m): 11:03am On Mar 10, 2012
it is Allah that brings happiness, sadness, contentedness, inner peace, etc,
Re: What Defines Happiness? by deols(f): 5:57pm On Mar 10, 2012
contentment goes a long way in determining how much happy an individual is and a firm belief in Allah as being the one who decrees all things.
Re: What Defines Happiness? by maclatunji: 6:24pm On Mar 10, 2012
IbroSaunks:

it is Allah that brings happiness, sadness, contentedness, inner peace, etc,

deols:

contentment goes a long way in determining how much happy an individual is and a firm belief in Allah as being the one who decrees all things.

I feel there is an inherent contradiction between these two posts.
Re: What Defines Happiness? by tpia5: 8:52pm On Mar 13, 2012
lol.

can you explain?

the contradiction that is.
Re: What Defines Happiness? by maclatunji: 10:48pm On Mar 13, 2012
tpia@:
lol.

can you explain?

the contradiction that is.

One person is saying it is only Allah that can give you contentment and happiness while the other is saying contentment is one of the conditions of happiness which an individual must have by accepting whatever Allah throws at him.
Re: What Defines Happiness? by tpia5: 4:06am On Mar 14, 2012
i think the second post agrees with, not contradicts, the former,lol.

i think deols doesnt know how to place you, hence her wariness in interacting with you.

she's more comfortable with the other guys like sweetnecta and ibrosaunks because they're fairly easy to decipher and read.

with you, there's too much second guessing and uncertainty.
Re: What Defines Happiness? by maclatunji: 3:39pm On Mar 14, 2012
tpia@:

i think deols doesnt know how to place you, hence her wariness in interacting with you.

she's more comfortable with the other guys like sweetnecta and ibrosaunks because they're fairly easy to decipher and read.

This your post on some other threads would be understood. Over here, I am just wondering like ehn! what does this have to do with the topic?

Although, I agree with you.
Re: What Defines Happiness? by IbroSaunks(m): 12:22am On Mar 15, 2012
tpia@:

Iono, i'm not sure i'm comfortable being tagged "easy to decipher and read"!
Re: What Defines Happiness? by IbroSaunks(m): 12:26am On Mar 15, 2012
I do not think it contradicts as such...it's about faith somewhat

It is Allah that brings the contentment to your heart, the way He brings guidance and other feelings. It is also the contentment He brings that goes a long way in determining how happy an individual is and a firm belief in Allah as being the one who decrees all things. My point is, Allah can cause you to be content, if you ask him.
Re: What Defines Happiness? by tpia5: 4:15am On Mar 15, 2012
IbroSaunks:

i mean she feels more comfortable ie safer with you guys, than with maclatunji.

its a female thing.
Re: What Defines Happiness? by maclatunji: 9:07am On Mar 15, 2012
IbroSaunks: I do not think it contradicts as such...it's about faith somewhat

It is Allah that brings the contentment to your heart, the way He brings guidance and other feelings. It is also the contentment He brings that goes a long way in determining how happy an individual is and a firm belief in Allah as being the one who decrees all things. My point is, Allah can cause you to be content, if you ask him.

Ok
Re: What Defines Happiness? by maclatunji: 9:08am On Mar 15, 2012
tpia@:

i mean she feels more comfortable ie safer with you guys, than with maclatunji.

its a female thing.

LOL
Re: What Defines Happiness? by maclatunji: 9:17am On Mar 15, 2012
IbroSaunks:

It is not a bad thing, being complex has many disadvantages. You will only gain from it if your complexity gives you an advantage over others. If it doesn't you don't need the drama attached to it.
Re: What Defines Happiness? by IbroSaunks(m): 9:45am On Mar 15, 2012
@Mac & tpia

ok I guess I understand now, it's aite. But Mac, are you really that complex?
Re: What Defines Happiness? by maclatunji: 11:53am On Mar 15, 2012
IbroSaunks: @Mac & tpia

ok I guess I understand now, it's aite. But Mac, are you really that complex?

Let's put it this way: it takes time to know and understand me; but when you do, I am one of the easiest people to handle and relate with.
Re: What Defines Happiness? by LagosShia: 9:40am On Mar 21, 2012
Re: What Defines Happiness? by LagosShia: 9:41am On Mar 21, 2012
Re: What Defines Happiness? by seguun(m): 9:47pm On Mar 31, 2012
Remembrance of Allah is the only thing our souls need naturally. In other words, souls only find peace in the remembrance of Allah: "Verily, in the
remembrance of Allah
do hearts find
rest." (Qur'an 13:28)

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Muslims Don't Give Offering Nor Pay Tithe In The Mosque / Was The Grave In Syria Really Desecrated? / Is It Bad For Muslim Girl Yo Wear Trouser

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.